Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
But then they said Australia and suddenly it all seemed perfectly plausible again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Platystemon posted:

It’s dumb as poo poo to test it like that, but, seriously, how did they gently caress it up? Use a rifle? Shoot somewhere the vest didn’t cover? Use an empty vest? Use a vest that wasn’t bulletproof at all?

They made a fundamental mistake: it wasn't a bulletproof vest. It was a flak jacket.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Garrand posted:

Noted in that article as well, less than two weeks earlier a (frankly rather boring, on first read) satirical news site had a fake story of basically that same thing just with an elementary school student instead of a high school student. Seriously, the fake news article seems more realistic and less overwrought than the real one.

If there was ever a news article in desperate need of a photo, this is it.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

HungryMedusa posted:

It's so hard to believe people in this age of going viral for all the wrong reasons can get this far with this kind of thing. Both of these have tons of people working on them. Did no one speak up and say this might be a terrible idea? On either one?
The 'neenja' one was meant to be a proper music video advertising her mattress shop, the video linked above was only a sneak peak to whet your appetite. Let that sink in. In a perverse way I'm almost sad this went viral so early, I wonder what she would've come up with for a finished version.

She clearly had a bit of a hunch it might be seen as offensive though, otherwise why invite an Asian lady and sing straight at her face, being all 'See, my Asian friend is smiling too, nothing offensive to see here.' Obvs after she saw the reception of it outside of her circle, she backpedaled with a half-assed apology on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/jennifermurphygogirl/posts/10208476666568558

Jennifer 'Neenja' Murphy posted:

Dear Everyone,

I did a song in front of a group of friends that was meant to be silly and self-deprecating, and I posted it last April and received comments from friends and strangers that it was funny.
It is obvious that I had bad judgment and didn’t understand that my attempt at humor would be seen as insensitive or mean-spirited, and I have removed the video from my channels.
I want to be a person who is positive and uplifting to others. Clearly in this instance, this has not been the case, and I have learned a valuable lesson.
I sincerely apologize to every person that has felt pain and offence because of me, and I ask their forgiveness.

See, it's silly and self-deprecating, 'cause she's not really a ninja and can't do martial arts good. D'oh! But it's all okay now 'cause she's learned her lesson (to not be racist on the Internet).

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Sorry for double-posting, but:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We had Book Week here in Australia where kids apparently wear themed costumes to school. One kid got prior permission from a teacher to dress up as Adolf Hitler on the day that they had a bunch of students from a Jewish school visiting. Li'l Adolf was apparently judged to be one of the best costumes on the day so he got to go in the parade in front of their visitors. Apparently no one from the school realised there may have been anything slightly off about any of this until it was pointed out afterwards.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/09/09/alice-springs-student-dresses-hitler-book-week

Hahaha that's only a month since the blackface incident.
http://www.watoday.com.au/victoria/blackface-outrage-mother-paints-sons-skin-for-book-week-parade-20160825-gr1fo8.html

This one comes with a bonus picture!

Blackface Mum posted:

"I was a little worried about painting him. (So many politically correct extremists these days) he is pastey White (sic) and if I just sent him in a wig and footy gear, no one would tell who he was," she posted.

"So I ... painted my boy brown and he looked fanf------tastic."

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

We had Book Week here in Australia where kids apparently wear themed costumes to school. One kid got prior permission from a teacher to dress up as Adolf Hitler on the day that they had a bunch of students from a Jewish school visiting. Li'l Adolf was apparently judged to be one of the best costumes on the day so he got to go in the parade in front of their visitors. Apparently no one from the school realised there may have been anything slightly off about any of this until it was pointed out afterwards.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/09/09/alice-springs-student-dresses-hitler-book-week

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Sorry for double-posting, but:

Hahaha that's only a month since the blackface incident.
http://www.watoday.com.au/victoria/blackface-outrage-mother-paints-sons-skin-for-book-week-parade-20160825-gr1fo8.html

This one comes with a bonus picture!

these feel like prompts for episodes of It's Always Sunny

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Aussie lady in article posted:

so I painted him brown and he looked fan-loving-tastic!

lmao

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I found some local scootinfruity while checking the news today:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/via_runners_stopped_by_train_c.html#incart_2box_lvl-homepage-featured

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Besesoth posted:

They made a fundamental mistake: it wasn't a bulletproof vest. It was a flak jacket.

Lucky they didn't know that, else he'd have shot him with an Anti-Aircraft gun.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Memento posted:

I love a good ordering gently caress up story.

I used to run a small software development company based in Europe.
We had a fairly popular program that sold for USD 29,00.

A company from the US ordered 3 copies for a total of USD 87,00, payment by wire transfer.

We shipped the licence keys and awaited payment.
A couple of days later a lady from their purchasing department called and said they made a mistake and accidentally wired 87,000 dollars to our account.

I told her not to worry and explained to her that our invoicing software (being from Europe) used commas as decimal separators and dots as thousands separators, so the invoice was 87.00 ("87,00" being the invoice amount) and not 87,000. She insisted they had wired 87,000 dollars.

I logged into our banking account and there was a transaction for 87,000 dollars to our account. :psyduck:

We eventually had the two banks handle the chargeback and eat the fees, since the exchange rate had dropped by 0.02 cents over the weekend, which would have resulted in a loss of $1,740.00 for either party had we tried to straighten it out between ourselves.

That's my schadenfreudy ordering story.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrYenko posted:

If there was ever a news article in desperate need of a photo, this is it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://i.imgur.com/fT8bAmt.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/gFFwziy.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krispy Kareem posted:

But then they said Australia and suddenly it all seemed perfectly plausible again.

It's a goddamned garbage country at the moment and I say that as someone who has lived here my entire life. We're currently struggling to decide how we should vote on making gay marriage legal. Note that we're not struggling to decide whether we want it to happen - pretty much every recent poll has shown that the majority of the population is in favour of it - we're struggling to decide how we should go about voting to make it happen. The shitface right wing government we voted in last election decided to hold a plebiscite (which is like a referendum where they ask the people to vote on an issue, but it's not binding in any way and a bunch of politicians have already said that they'd ignore the plebiscite result when it came to a parliamentary vote if they didn't agree with it) as a way of stalling the issue and pushing back the actual vote several months. At the moment they're arguing over how many millions of dollars they're going to put into the publicity campaigns for each side, with one problem being that the campaign for the 'no' side would no doubt contravene the discrimination laws we already have in place. Proponents for the 'no' case were already asking last year that the discrimination/hate speech laws be suspended for the plebiscite which made everyone else point out that if the only way you could present your argument was to use hate speech then your argument is already on lovely grounds.

tl;dr: most Australians want to legalize gay marriage but a core bloc of homophobes are insisting they get to tell us how the gays are gross and ungodly and don't deserve equal rights before they let that happen.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but as an immigrant from America it's still pretty loving great in comparison.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Now that we have SovCits and libertarians and politicians trying to roll back our gun laws it's getting more like the US every year!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Don't forget about that refugee rape holding center on Nauru. My favorite response from crazy internet people was that if the refuse of the 3rd world didn't wanted to be abused by authority figures, they should been refugees from a real war zone.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Now that we have SovCits and libertarians and politicians trying to roll back our gun laws it's getting more like the US every year!

Well if it gets too bad I'll move to Denmark or something.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://i.imgur.com/71uDy99.gifv

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mcbexx posted:

That's my schadenfreudy ordering story.

Two stories:

1. The UK Ministry of Defense ordered 8 CH-47 Mk 3 Chinooks from Boeing at a cost of over 250 million GBP. They were delivered in 2001. These were intended to be all-weather transports for their special forces: night vision, nap-of-the-earth flying, all that good stuff, to supplement their older Mk2 Chinooks with the old analog gauges etc.

Then the MoD noticed that it didn't have the source code to a bunch of the avionics. Boeing said "Well, you can't have the source code, for three reasons. One, you never made that part of the contract we all read and signed. Two, a good chunk of it isn't our source code, it's Honeywell's source code, and we can't give you their source code without an agreement with them to that effect. Three, ITAR says we can't give that out to non-US entities, the only way for you to use that for airworthiness certification is to do all the certification testing in the US." And the MoD said "But...without the source code, we can't give them airworthiness certificates." And Boeing said "But the only thing preventing you from giving them airworthiness certificates without the source code are your own rules that say you need the source code to give them airworthiness certificates." And the MoD said "Well whatever we need the source code." And Boeing said "Our previous response is incorporated by reference."

So the MoD said "We can operate these helicopters, but only in the daylight, in clear weather, at altitudes greater than 500' so the pilots can navigate visually." Which actually means they were a lot less capable than the older Mk2 Chinooks were.

The eventual fix for all this was for the MoD to contract with Boeing to rip out all the fancy new avionics and replace them with the old analog gauges etc. Giving them helicopters that were about as capable as the ones they already had, after spending a shitload of money for them.

2. The UK decided it needed some new aircraft carriers because reasons. Really not sure why, other than national pride, because even their old aircraft carriers barely qualified as such. Now, they were intended to fly F-35s from them, so they decided to save a bit of money by not ordering carriers with catapults and arresting gear. But they wanted to hedge their bets in case the F-35 program turned into a ridiculously expensive shitshow, so they went to BAE, the contractor, and said "We want you to design these carriers so that in the even that the F-35 program turns into a shitshow, it will be easy to retrofit them to add catapults and arresting gear." BAE said "Sure, we can do that."

Fast-forward a few years. Not only has the F-35 program turned into a ridiculously expensive shitshow, but the UK has gone broke, and to scrape together enough money to actually pay for the new carriers it stops operating its carrier aircraft. For a while, it still keeps operating a carrier even though there aren't aircraft to fly off of it, and then it stops that. So basically it starts losing all the institutional knowledge of how to operate carriers. For a while it even decides that it's only going to keep one of the two new carriers it's building (which means that two-thirds of the time it wouldn't have any carriers at all, since you basically need 3 carriers if you always want to have one available) and will sell the other off to France or something as soon as it's built; I think they've changed their mind on that bit though. But anyway, the MoD goes back to BAE and says "Hey, go ahead and pull the trigger on retrofitting the catapults and arresting gear."

And BAE says "What are you talking about? That wasn't in the contract. At this point, it'd cost more to shoehorn that stuff into the ones we've already started building then it would to just build new carriers that have them in the first place.

So did the contractor lie to the government? Or was the government criminally incompetent when it drew up the contract? A little from column A and a little from column B? Whatever, the best part is that since defense contracts in the UK are state secrets, *nobody will ever find out*.

If you think American defense procurement is hosed up (and it is), UKian defense procurement makes it look as well-engineered as an F1 car.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Sep 12, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
At this point you could believe it's all a deep deep super secret anti-war scheme to make it impossible to actually go to war, and better to just forever prepare for a war that will never happen.

"Hey! gently caress you! Those are my fishing grounds! Imma declare war on you!"
"Oh yeah? gently caress you too!... Can we do the war in 2018 when I've got my melting boats issue sorted out?"
"Uh.. maybe 2019, my state of the art stealth planes keep exploding on start up, so 2020?"
"Yeah, sure. Wanna just share the fish until then?"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's about that bad in Canada too, it's just seems to be a global defense procurement thing. You give people billions, let them keep everything secret, and then act shocked when it turns into a shitshow of corruption and incompetence.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

From the Wells Fargo horseshit from a couple days back Carrie Tolstedt, the executive in charge of the division responsible for the scandal, is taking this totally unrelated opportunity to step down and take $124M with her. A "personal decision to retire after 27 years" a Wells Fargo spokesperson was quoted. Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf, who I do not know personally but is probably a piece of human filth said that Tolstedt was a "standard bearer of our culture" and a "champion for our customers" which is kind of like calling someone a "kind, loving, caring person" and "an avid fan of the literary works of Adolph Hitler".

http://fortune.com/2016/09/12/wells-fargo-cfpb-carrie-tolstedt/

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

What the hell was this idiot even doing?

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
looks like pee

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Senior Woodchuck posted:

he's obviously trying to take a piss genius

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like how he kind of skips to keep his right leg back so he doesn't piss on it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Guy is trying to take a piss hidden by the truck's door.
Guy's buddy is the driver and starts rolling to annoy guy.
Guy runs along while pissing, pleading buddy to stop.
Buddy stops.

I hope this clears it up for any non-pissers here.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Not pissing in his dickhead friend's car.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Baronjutter posted:

It's about that bad in Canada too, it's just seems to be a global defense procurement thing.

I think in Canada it's just being dumb and trusting. The Brits had some like-new submarines, only 4 years old when they decided to decommission them. Canada had canceled its nuclear sub program and decided to offer to buy the British ones. The Brits had had them in storage for four years, which Canada didn't really take into account. After they bought them, they figured this out. One caught fire when seawater got inside and it turned out the wiring wasn't suitable for exposure to seawater. All told, Canada will probably spend almost as much on fixing the various deficiencies and adapting them to use American torpedoes as it cost to buy them.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

I think in Canada it's just being dumb and trusting. The Brits had some like-new submarines, only 4 years old when they decided to decommission them. Canada had canceled its nuclear sub program and decided to offer to buy the British ones. The Brits had had them in storage for four years, which Canada didn't really take into account. After they bought them, they figured this out. One caught fire when seawater got inside and it turned out the wiring wasn't suitable for exposure to seawater. All told, Canada will probably spend almost as much on fixing the various deficiencies and adapting them to use American torpedoes as it cost to buy them.

They should have just read the .pdf

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/04/18/how-not-to-redact-a-pdf-nuclear-submarine-secrets-spilled/

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

HungryMedusa posted:

I listened to the beginning a couple times and I am really confused with how being a "neenja" has anything to do with beds?

At least the 9/11 one had the twin beds / Twin Towers going for it.

It's so hard to believe people in this age of going viral for all the wrong reasons can get this far with this kind of thing. Both of these have tons of people working on them. Did no one speak up and say this might be a terrible idea? On either one?

She also randomly says "I drink from sippy cup" that has nothing to do with anything other than rhyme. Lady just had a racist song she would sing to herself and her very white friends and someone said "That'll go viral, use it to sell your beds!"

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Hey it's that lady that ordered all the chicken.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

I kept waiting to read about some genius marathon runner who lost his legs attempting to jump through a MOVING GOD DAMNED TRAIN because they are idiots.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Phanatic posted:

The defense industry is basically a giant leech that is slowly but surely attaching itself to every country with a military.

E: Content!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Two stories:

1. The UK Ministry of Defense ordered 8 CH-47 Mk 3 Chinooks from Boeing at a cost of over 250 million GBP. They were delivered in 2001. These were intended to be all-weather transports for their special forces: night vision, nap-of-the-earth flying, all that good stuff, to supplement their older Mk2 Chinooks with the old analog gauges etc.

Then the MoD noticed that it didn't have the source code to a bunch of the avionics. Boeing said "Well, you can't have the source code, for three reasons. One, you never made that part of the contract we all read and signed. Two, a good chunk of it isn't our source code, it's Honeywell's source code, and we can't give you their source code without an agreement with them to that effect. Three, ITAR says we can't give that out to non-US entities, the only way for you to use that for airworthiness certification is to do all the certification testing in the US." And the MoD said "But...without the source code, we can't give them airworthiness certificates." And Boeing said "But the only thing preventing you from giving them airworthiness certificates without the source code are your own rules that say you need the source code to give them airworthiness certificates." And the MoD said "Well whatever we need the source code." And Boeing said "Our previous response is incorporated by reference."

So the MoD said "We can operate these helicopters, but only in the daylight, in clear weather, at altitudes greater than 500' so the pilots can navigate visually." Which actually means they were a lot less capable than the older Mk2 Chinooks were.

The eventual fix for all this was for the MoD to contract with Boeing to rip out all the fancy new avionics and replace them with the old analog gauges etc. Giving them helicopters that were about as capable as the ones they already had, after spending a shitload of money for them.

2. The UK decided it needed some new aircraft carriers because reasons. Really not sure why, other than national pride, because even their old aircraft carriers barely qualified as such. Now, they were intended to fly F-35s from them, so they decided to save a bit of money by not ordering carriers with catapults and arresting gear. But they wanted to hedge their bets in case the F-35 program turned into a ridiculously expensive shitshow, so they went to BAE, the contractor, and said "We want you to design these carriers so that in the even that the F-35 program turns into a shitshow, it will be easy to retrofit them to add catapults and arresting gear." BAE said "Sure, we can do that."

Fast-forward a few years. Not only has the F-35 program turned into a ridiculously expensive shitshow, but the UK has gone broke, and to scrape together enough money to actually pay for the new carriers it stops operating its carrier aircraft. For a while, it still keeps operating a carrier even though there aren't aircraft to fly off of it, and then it stops that. So basically it starts losing all the institutional knowledge of how to operate carriers. For a while it even decides that it's only going to keep one of the two new carriers it's building (which means that two-thirds of the time it wouldn't have any carriers at all, since you basically need 3 carriers if you always want to have one available) and will sell the other off to France or something as soon as it's built; I think they've changed their mind on that bit though. But anyway, the MoD goes back to BAE and says "Hey, go ahead and pull the trigger on retrofitting the catapults and arresting gear."

And BAE says "What are you talking about? That wasn't in the contract. At this point, it'd cost more to shoehorn that stuff into the ones we've already started building then it would to just build new carriers that have them in the first place.

So did the contractor lie to the government? Or was the government criminally incompetent when it drew up the contract? A little from column A and a little from column B? Whatever, the best part is that since defense contracts in the UK are state secrets, *nobody will ever find out*.

If you think American defense procurement is hosed up (and it is), UKian defense procurement makes it look as well-engineered as an F1 car.

There's also the Tranche 1 Eurofighters.

Also the UK will not actually have enough F-35s to fully load their carriers, as a result the flight wings will be partially comprised of USMC aircraft and pilots.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/09/usmc_will_fly_f35s_on_hms_queen_elizabeth_first_op_deployment/

quote:

HMS Queen Elizabeth is capable of carrying up to 36 F-35s, though current plans are for the air wing to comprise just 12 of the fast jets. Aircraft carriers in British service normally deploy with a small contingent of helicopters aboard for “plane guard” duties, in case one of the fast jets crashes on takeoff or landing and the pilot needs rescuing from the sea.

The cynical view of the USMC deploying aboard QE in 2021 is that the UK simply won't have enough F-35s by that point to train new pilots and engineers and sustain an operational deployment to sea. Assuming Blighty owns about 20 F-35Bs by that point, one might expect the air wing of 12 to be split 50-50 between US and UK, with the remaining 14 British aircraft based ashore in the UK on training duties.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

C.M. Kruger posted:

There's also the Tranche 1 Eurofighters.

Also the UK will not actually have enough F-35s to fully load their carriers, as a result the flight wings will be partially comprised of USMC aircraft and pilots.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/09/usmc_will_fly_f35s_on_hms_queen_elizabeth_first_op_deployment/

All this just begs the question, why?

Which has already been answered but still.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

syscall girl posted:

All this just begs the question, why?

Which has already been answered but still.

In case the argies get any ideas.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/773490551333134336

(it's worth looking at the preceding tweets in that conversation.)

This one was so simple and wonderful :allears:

https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/724645568014868480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

HungryMedusa posted:

I listened to the beginning a couple times and I am really confused with how being a "neenja" has anything to do with beds?

At least the 9/11 one had the twin beds / Twin Towers going for it.

Potentially the same way Watergate happened despite two of the three main conspirators being sane and the other being a well known crazy person.

If the crazy person starts with a crazy enough first idea and is able to get a small concession, the sane people are highly likely to approve a less crazy but still identifiably crazy subsequent idea from the same person. Contrast, Consistency and Reciprocity are very powerful concepts.