Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Any recommendations for a good shower head water purifier? The building I'm in is old as gently caress, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has lead pipes in addition to the already garbage municipal water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I need a mop, a good mop, just for my house but the floor of my house that sees the most use is all tile so it's pretty important that it's a good mop and not some swifter crap.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just purchased some work gloves. here. Wondering if anyone had some alternatives. I don't do much heavy lifting or anything like that, but I do move around a bunch of crap. I really like these gloves, but I've purchased these for years at this point, so wondering if there was something new out there. These gloves are grippy, durable, breathable and light. Looking for something similar?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a couple Ex Officio boxer briefs and I don't really like them. My main complaint is that they aren't compression. They kinda hang like normal boxers.

I sized down and it fixed that issue for me. I have like 8-12 pairs that I have been wearing for like 4-5 years and the elastic is still strong and other then some pilling they are in great shape. I have a single pair of Airsims but they are too loose and light. The Airsim tshirts are the best thing ever though.

I have a silly number of Smartwool socks I got on crazy sale like two christmases ago and am happy with them, but for full msrp I think Darn Tough are better.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I have slowly liquidated my entire underwear collection until all I have left are MeUndies. I live a life of pure comfort now.

If I were to try to do this with socks as well, what brands do you guys recommend? I pretty much only wear plain black socks.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Computer Serf posted:

Any recommendations for a good shower head water purifier? The building I'm in is old as gently caress, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has lead pipes in addition to the already garbage municipal water.

We have very hard water, and there is a Culligan brand one on amazon that works OK and the filters are like $15 and are supposed to last 6 months. In my experience they work OK and last more like 4-5 months.

Previously bought the one from the hippie grocery store that advertised CRYSTALS in it; I'm not sure it ever really worked.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I'm looking for headphones that have some degree of noise cancellation and are under $100. If they're wireless even better. These are for use at an office that can get a little noisy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

By degree of noise cancellation you're talking about ones that use a battery right? Not headphones that block noise by acting like ear plugs.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I'm... not sure.

Van Dis has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Mar 8, 2024

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well if you get noise cancelling (battery powered) headphones then they are really good for blocking certain type of sounds like the constant droning engine noise of an airplane. They won't help that much with people near you talking.

There's another kind where the headphones act like ear plugs or simply fit tightly on your head to block out all noise. They tend to be less comfortable but cheaper.

In any case there's a ton of options, and it gets even more expensive if you want it to be bluetooth. People typically buy noise cancelling headphones for travel, not for office work.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-noise-cancelling-headphones/

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Sep 13, 2016

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

For <$100 to use at a desk all day, get a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and some velour replacement pads. They're closed back, over-ear and block out sound really well, they're super comfortable for hours at a stretch, and they sound good enough that you'll find a half dozen pairs in any professional recording studio or radio station. Only drawback (depending on how you look at it) is that they have a really long, coiled cable that's inconvenient for walking around with them plugged into your phone.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Jmcrofts posted:

I have slowly liquidated my entire underwear collection until all I have left are MeUndies. I live a life of pure comfort now.

If I were to try to do this with socks as well, what brands do you guys recommend? I pretty much only wear plain black socks.

I have one pair of MeUndies that I got from Birchbox and they are comfortable but it bugs me that there is no dick hole / pee flap. Do they make any with a dick hole pee flap?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I have one pair of MeUndies that I got from Birchbox and they are comfortable but it bugs me that there is no dick hole / pee flap. Do they make any with a dick hole pee flap?

I've seen this with a bunch of high tech underwear and it baffles me. Who are these people who don't need a piss flap? Do they pull their pants down to piss? Use one hand to hold the underwear waistband down and one hand to hold their dick (and if so, how do they hold their phone to read the forums while they pee)? :confused:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I can't believe I'm about to talk about this on the internet but, you just pull down the front band past your balls and pull your wang out and pee.

edit: don't critique my peeing form unless you recommend me a good mop, thanks.

Grem has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Sep 14, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You have to unbutton your pants to do that though.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Just lol if you don't pull your pants and meundies down around your ankles at the urinal.

E: and also pull up your shirt and hold it under your chin

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wait, some of you just unzip and shove your hand past the zipper, through the flap and pull your dick out?

Hahahahahah what

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Wait, some of you just unzip and shove your hand past the zipper, through the flap and pull your dick out?

Hahahahahah what
Yeah that's what normal people do

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Penises are the dumbest body part.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I hate the flap. I cannot conceive why someone would be unwilling to spend the extra 2 or 3 seconds over the course of the day to unbutton their pants at the cost of a bunch of lovely excess material in your underwear. It's a lovely constricting cut, too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah that's what normal people do

I think you're wrong

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I think you're wrong

You think a lot of things.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm trying to make my new place a little nicer. Any recommendations for the following?

- Bathroom rugs
- Shower curtains/liners
- Standing floor lamps
- Coffee/end tables (that come in cherry)
- Armchairs/Recliners

Thanks!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

obi_ant posted:

You think a lot of things.

I suppose you don't

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Pecker flaps in underwear are like dumb fabric airlocks that want to strangle your johnson.

Let it all hang out. :getin:

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

surf rock posted:

I'm trying to make my new place a little nicer. Any recommendations for the following?

- Bathroom rugs
- Shower curtains/liners
- Standing floor lamps
- Coffee/end tables (that come in cherry)
- Armchairs/Recliners

Thanks!

If you're adventurous and/or aren't in a hurry, typically estate sales/yard sales/craigslist are the best way to get nice coffee/end tables as well as armchairs/recliners at a much better price than most stores. The chairs might be a bit harder since those are style specific but if you just want a nice looking old wood table you can get some really solid furniture if you wait around.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Rubiks Pubes posted:

As far as I know they do not. I've never been a flap user, so I don't miss it. This is basically me:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

turbomoose posted:

If you're adventurous and/or aren't in a hurry, typically estate sales/yard sales/craigslist are the best way to get nice coffee/end tables as well as armchairs/recliners at a much better price than most stores. The chairs might be a bit harder since those are style specific but if you just want a nice looking old wood table you can get some really solid furniture if you wait around.

That's definitely good advice, but I really want to do this in the next two months, hopefully sooner. Retail purchases seem like more of a sure thing.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Have any of you actually used to soap dispenser built into your kitchen sink? I have a nice kitchen sink and I could go get a reservoir for like $9 and have soap right there instead of a squeeze bottle. But I've never been in a home that used theirs.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

colas posted:

Have any of you actually used to soap dispenser built into your kitchen sink? I have a nice kitchen sink and I could go get a reservoir for like $9 and have soap right there instead of a squeeze bottle. But I've never been in a home that used theirs.

I refill my mother-in-law's so that I can use it when I'm there. If my sink's hole wasn't already filled, I'd probably get one.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Can anybody recommend a winter comforter? Ideally I just want to use a single layer on top of me. If it matters, I have a Leesa mattress (Avena foam on top). I have no idea how to tell good products/companies from bad products/companies.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

colas posted:

We use ours but still have to keep a bottle close by in case we need to wash something in the other basin of the sink.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pendleton.
Expensive but will keep you warm through anything.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

colas posted:

Have any of you actually used to soap dispenser built into your kitchen sink?

I have one in my sink and use it every day. I mostly bought it to fill in the hole where the sprayer would go but ended up finding it really handy.

theHUNGERian posted:

Can anybody recommend a winter comforter?

If you don't mind waiting a bit for it to be made you could find a quilting group in your area and stop in one of thier meetings. I'm sure one of the ladies would be happy to make one for you. My mother quilts and made one for me out of old fleece shirts with wool batting in it. It's very warm and huge, 7ft x 9ft.

edit: measured the quilt 7x9ft

Biscuit Joiner has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Sep 18, 2016

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I have one in my sink and use it every day. I mostly bought it to fill in the hole where the sprayer would go but ended up finding it really handy.

cool, it seems convenient. yeah, the pump part pops off, I just need to buy a reservoir.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Inzombiac posted:

Pendleton.

Agreed. I have one of their national park blankets and I am very satisfied. You can also look at Brahms Mount (they sell factory seconds that are very reasonable considering the material/quality).

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Pendleton.

Thanks! Will the classic and the vintage comforters keep me equally warm? It's a good idea to wash the comforter before first use, right? Any reason I shouldn't buy a cheap duvet cover from Bed Bath and Beyond for the Pendleton comforter?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

theHUNGERian posted:

Can anybody recommend a winter comforter? Ideally I just want to use a single layer on top of me. If it matters, I have a Leesa mattress (Avena foam on top). I have no idea how to tell good products/companies from bad products/companies.

Go with what colonists swore by to keep warm in Canadian winters.

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/brands/bedding-/multistripe-point-blanket-0012-1019553--24

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Brahms mount has sales around Christmas and Mother's Day. I think it's around 20% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Inzombiac posted:

Pendleton.

A good post