Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Windows can be fine if you actually spend the money on good windows. In Duluth area where I plan to build in the next decade, we'd put something like a triple pane with coating in.

Regardless my whole point is these people are house poor in a giant box, when they could have a reasonably sized house with great windows.

Yond Cassius posted:

It's a fashion thing. Paleo is in these days.

:lol:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Nice.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Too few windows and your house becomes a cave. Most people don't like living in caves.

Goons excluded.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

c0ldfuse posted:

Windows can be fine if you actually spend the money on good windows. In Duluth area where I plan to build in the next decade, we'd put something like a triple pane with coating in.

Indeed, in cold climates good windows can be energy positive - they can let in more heat via solar gain than they lose via conduction. The problem is just that good windows are expensive.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

If you have enough money to build an expensive mansion, why u no hire architect? These look like they hired a spiritual medium to channel a third-rate 19th century architect.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slanderer posted:

The trellises would make sense if there were any suitable plants beneath them, instead of misc. shrubbery. My bed is on tax incentive for green buildings.

The exposed lighting wiring above each makes no sense tho.

Good idea. The incentive thing would make sense depending on the area for sure.

The exposed lighting is either what I suggested earlier (egress lights) or possibly downlighting/landscape lighting.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
This one is actually impressive!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

What are these things and why do they seem to be all over the outside of every new commercial building that gets built near me lately?

My only guess is maybe for vines to climb up but why would EVERYWHERE do that?

It's this stuff. You apparently get a tax credit for having a 'green wall', and mounting the mesh is really all you need to do.

Most likely, whoever added it to the spec didn't communicate with the landscapers that some kind of climbing plant was necessary.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Those might very well be climbing roses. They take a couple years to really take off, and that installation is so new the light fixtures aren't in yet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I hate climbing plants, and roses, but properly done I hear they can save a bit of HVAC costs. Don't know if they offset upkeep costs, but whatever.

Rose bushes are great, I hear, for burglar deterrent, when planted under the windows.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Those might very well be climbing roses. They take a couple years to really take off, and that installation is so new the light fixtures aren't in yet.

I can tell you 100% that they are not climbing roses.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

Rose bushes are great, I hear, for burglar deterrent, when planted under the windows.

Holly bushes and barberries too.

devicenull posted:

It's this stuff. You apparently get a tax credit for having a 'green wall', and mounting the mesh is really all you need to do.

TIL some of my neighbors have been being green simply by not keeping their Virgina Creepers and English Ivy under control.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 13, 2016

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

devicenull posted:

Most likely, whoever added it to the spec didn't communicate with the landscapers that some kind of climbing plant was necessary.

That is frighteningly expensive. There are plenty of vines that will grow up the side of almost any wall without laser-cut plasma-welded powder-coated steel.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Vines destroy the wall, though. And having an airgap between the plants and the wall increases shading by eliminating conductive heating.

Still expensive, but I bet you could DIY it easily enough. Downside is you probably don't get a tax credit by DIYing.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Effective-Disorder posted:

That is frighteningly expensive. There are plenty of vines that will grow up the side of almost any wall without laser-cut plasma-welded powder-coated steel.

Welcome to commercial building construction. You could make something else, but it is easier to just buy an existing product.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

Welcome to commercial building construction. You could make something else, but it is easier to just buy an existing product.

I figured as much. Now I'm starting to want to own a factory that builds stupid-pricey stuff for people to get LEED certification on their ugly projects.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Geirskogul posted:

Vines destroy the wall, though. And having an airgap between the plants and the wall increases shading by eliminating conductive heating.

Still expensive, but I bet you could DIY it easily enough. Downside is you probably don't get a tax credit by DIYing.

True enough, and also I recently witnessed a bunch of vines being taken off the side of a house because the insurance company demanded it.

If this was residential, smart money would just be some vinyl trellis and some kind of stand-off.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I figured as much. Now I'm starting to want to own a factory that builds stupid-pricey stuff for people to get LEED certification on their ugly projects.

If it was stupid-pricey, people wouldn't bother buying it.
It has to be cheaper than the value of the goodwill.

Hence silly things like motion-activated lights in the bathrooms of a building that seats several hundred people per floor.

And signs telling you not the drink from the toilets since they are flushed with grey water from the floor above. (This one is probably good, I just find having the signs in every stall funny.)

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

~Coxy posted:

And signs telling you not the drink from the toilets since they are flushed with grey water from the floor above. (This one is probably good, I just find having the signs in every stall funny.)

NOW you tell me!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just plant raspberries, burglar/mountain lion deterrent and tasty snack all in one! Just make sure you don't have bears.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

On the other hand, a yard full of bears is probably one of the strongest security systems you can have.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Certainly not, plus you have to use a "certified" installer, i.e: a contractor that paid the government enough to be put on the list, and who may or may not have sent one guy to an hour long seminar where they told him not to drill through wires when installing, and then tested him on the exact dates the legislation went into effect, and what the governing body's acronym stands for. /rant.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

~Coxy posted:

And signs telling you not the drink from the toilets since they are flushed with grey water from the floor above.

You know drat well that there was an incident that caused these signs to be a requirement.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ashcans posted:

On the other hand, a yard full of bears is probably one of the strongest security systems you can have.

Around the area I'm in it's traditional to have a 400lbs bear statue made of wood to guard the yard.

I wonder if I could make one out of concrete.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

endlessmonotony posted:

Around the area I'm in it's traditional to have a 400lbs bear statue made of wood to guard the yard.

I wonder if I could make one out of concrete.

Is it a mass requirement or a size requirement. If you need a Bear statue of standard size, a concrete version would be a least three times as heavy, which would theoretically make it three times safer.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Geirskogul posted:

I hate climbing plants, and roses, but properly done I hear they can save a bit of HVAC costs. Don't know if they offset upkeep costs, but whatever.

My intuition says they don't, and a quick review of the literature isn't really challenging that. It seems to a mix of "Huge energy savings from foliage [that provides significant shading to high solar gain windows & roofs]!" and "Vegetation coverage halves heat flux through walls [that were nearly uninsulated and a small minority of heat gain in real buildings anyway]!"

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
The whole vegetation/HVAC thing certainly holds true for green roofs, since they usually amass significant amounts of earth as well as the plants themselves. The majority probably comes from having a few centimetres of soil, rather than from having some random weeds on there, so I doubt some ivy would really help the overall energy efficiency. On the other hand, those kinds of plants at least counteract the erection of an ever bigger concrete jungle, so it's probably still not a bad idea.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The plants are an important part of a green roof; they absorb or reflect a significant portion of the solar gain and impact the retention of moisture (which provides cooling via evaporation). But white roofs also make a similarly large impact on HVAC loads.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

As an HVACR tech, gently caress both of those things.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Why?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"Hey where's the loving refrigerant line?"

"oh its under the dirt, we just dumped it over everything."

"Okay, where does it run?"

"ummmmm..."

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yea, and you're only seeing the pricing for the stock panel. That's not getting into the custom panels that every architect wants...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Enourmo hit it on the head pretty much. I specifically got into commercial work so I WOULDN'T have to wade through waist high weeds to get to a unit! :argh:

Also, I don't what it is about white roofs, but the seem to collect super slippery algae crazy fast. Probably just because around here roofers seem to slap that durolast rubber stuff over the existing roof with no thought for whats underneath it. Leading to water pooling and stuff growing. That and white roofs are reflective and bright as gently caress.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Will JULIE locate on a green roof?

Wait, is Julie just an Illinois thing? Who do you call in other states to locate buried utilities?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

In Virginia she is called Miss Utility.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Slugworth posted:

Wait, is Julie just an Illinois thing? Who do you call in other states to locate buried utilities?
I think all states have some sort of utility notification program, usually named "call before you dig" or "one call", though some are multi-state programs. If anyone knows of states WITHOUT such a program that would be interesting.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Boogalo posted:

In Virginia she is called Miss Utility.

Ok, now I wanna know how many are feminine in name.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Slugworth posted:

Ok, now I wanna know how many are feminine in name.

Michigan is Miss Dig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Louisiana is Dottie or One Call depending on who you ask.