Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

TotalLossBrain posted:

cool sword

edit: katana, sorry

For real though, what does that cost?

It's an epee, scrub.
:goonsay:

The one I bought, as configured with competition-legal blade and a one-piece guard plus the shape of handle that I like to use, is about $150 USD. You can get a complete competition weapon with a lower quality blade for less than $100, and a junky practice/childrens' weapon for about 40 bucks. At the upper end of competition equipment, you are looking at $200 for just the blade alone. Because they're basically just a steel rod with a handle that has a relatively decent chance of breaking/needing replacement, they're not terribly expensive as far as sporting equipment goes - most competitions won't even let you in the door unless you have one primary weapon and at least one spare, all of which have to conform to the rules. (the money really starts racking up when you're buying the clothing though.)

As for dying: that is why we wear specially designed silly beekeeper outfits rated at 800 newtons (about 180lbs) of point puncture resistance, and why the ends of the weapons terminate in a blunt cylinder rather than a pointy sticky bit. People have very, very rarely died from fencing since they stopped doing it with actual sharp weapons, ie. within the last century, pretty much. However if a blade were to snap/break and impale someone they would run a risk of being pretty seriously injured.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Sep 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I knew it was an epee bc I watch fencing during the Olympics :v:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I won't receive the back speakers until next Monday and I'll leave them plugged in (to power) since I happen to have outlets in convenient places. Last time I bought home theatre you still had to use wires for back speakers.

I'll post an update of my thoughts on Monday. For the price they better be spectacular.

Update: everything sounds incredible and worked together seamlessly. I must've listened to this 20 times in a row:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TOlN9dLpi8

Talking about new surround set up, Samsung HW-K650 with two Radiant 360 R1 speakers.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I knew it was an epee bc I watch fencing during the Olympics :v:

There are dozens of us!

Dozens!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Update: everything sounds incredible and worked together seamlessly. I must've listened to this 20 times in a row:

Talking about new surround set up, Samsung HW-K650 with two Radiant 360 R1 speakers.

My only Surround Sound test file is the bungie thing from some Halo game I think.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Lucky you..... How do you have it set up?

I am running everything through my xbox one and it is causing massive lip sync lissues... I have tried optical cable from xbox to sound bar... Hdmi cable to sound bar then hdmi cable (ARC) to tv... And HDMI to TV with Optical cable from TV to sound bar.

Blue tooth from TV to sound bar works great, but there is a limitation with the Bluetooth that won't let you ground the rear speakers with the front speakers while the input is bluetooth.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Steelers Color Rush Jersey, AB#84.

New couch for my butt

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Leased a 2016 Mazda6 Sport. It's pretty cool I guess.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Coolnezzz posted:

Leased a 2016 Mazda6 Sport. It's pretty cool I guess.

Thread is purchases jeez.

nice car

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

H110Hawk posted:

Thread is purchases jeez.

nice car

So only people that pay cash for cars then? A lease is just a shittier loan.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

So only people that pay cash for cars then? A lease is just a shittier loan.
Is there an assumption of lease to own these days?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Leasing is still financing, it just has a built in buyback from the car dealer. It's no different than getting an outright loan from a mechanical standpoint.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

TraderStav posted:

Leasing is still financing, it just has a built in buyback from the car dealer. It's no different than getting an outright loan from a mechanical standpoint.

I disagree, leasing is very different, for the fact alone that the car is owned by whoever is giving you the lease.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A displayport to HDMI cable because my current laptop was made for that brief period when a displayport instead of HDMI in a laptop was considered a good idea, and because Kodi doesn't have Chromecast integration:

And an amplified HD antenna so I can watch OTA football in my basement TV without resorting to low quality streams:

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

I disagree, leasing is very different, for the fact alone that the car is owned by whoever is giving you the lease.

How is that different from getting a loan from a bank? They still hold the title.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

SEKCobra posted:

Not according to US and international accounting standards and tax laws! The short version is basically, no matter what the dealer tells you, if the length of the lease is a substantial portion of the useful life of the car or if the value of your lease payments is a substantial portion of the value of the car or if you can buy the car cheap at the end of the lease, then it is finance lease, which as far as accounting, financing and taxation is concerned, is basically a purchase with a loan.

Okay enough boring accounting chat. Bought:

one of these:

a second one of these:

one of these:

and pre-ordered this:

:homebrew:

^^^^With a loan, you still maintain ownership of the car, but it is usually used as collateral for the loan, i.e. if you default, they take your car. It's still your car, but you've agreed that they can take it if you don't pay.

Shanghaied has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Sep 13, 2016

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fyallm posted:

I am running everything through my xbox one and it is causing massive lip sync lissues... I have tried optical cable from xbox to sound bar... Hdmi cable to sound bar then hdmi cable (ARC) to tv... And HDMI to TV with Optical cable from TV to sound bar.

Blue tooth from TV to sound bar works great, but there is a limitation with the Bluetooth that won't let you ground the rear speakers with the front speakers while the input is bluetooth.

This is your TV doing a bunch of frame interpolation/smoothing/upsampling or something. If you can, set your TV to game mode.

(also post in the home theatre thread for more info/help)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought the 5(?) Resident Evil Blu-Ray collection because it was only $28 and I love terrible movies.

...and I had a couple drinks.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

EoRaptor posted:

This is your TV doing a bunch of frame interpolation/smoothing/upsampling or something. If you can, set your TV to game mode.

(also post in the home theatre thread for more info/help)

I tried that as well, no go. In bluetooth settings there are lots of options for lip sync and delays but not outside that. grrr

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I bought the 5(?) Resident Evil Blu-Ray collection because it was only $28 and I love terrible movies.

Crap, I need to get the last one that came out yet. (Gotta catch them all). I will never *not* enjoy RE and Underworld movies.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I may or may not need a link to this. Edit: I plan to start drinking in an hour.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Amazon. I don't have the link on hand but it is there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Amazon. I don't have the link on hand but it is there.

I am now drunk and you are a failure. Like those people who didn't get my leasing joke.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

H110Hawk posted:

I am now drunk and you are a failure. Like those people who didn't get my leasing joke.

Come over. I'm watching Civil War tonight and you can wear my Spider-Man pajamas.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Tantalus posted:

How is that different from getting a loan from a bank? They still hold the title.

It's pratically very different. You aren't really allowed to do work on a leased car, and often there are required service intervals + which garage you have to use as well as other restrictions in a lease agreement.#

And of course it's usually way more expensive than a normal loan.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

fyallm posted:

I had some lip sync issues too but I kept fiddling with things and eventually I got surround for tv/ps4 and no lip sync issues by luck more than anything. I used the Samsung multiroom link + optical going from tv to receiver + hdmi to ps4. Not even sure why this works, just glad it does.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

This is posted:

Charcuterie sampler:

Finochiona (fennel pollen salami)
Nostrano (pink peppercorn salami)
Salame di Manzo (Waygu beef salami)
Cacciatorini Piccante (spicy hunters sausage)
Nduja (spicy spreadable salami)

Gunna stick dat meat in my mouf!

Just be aware that pink peppercorns are related to cashews, not pepper, and can trigger tree nut allergies. That said, I'm probably going to order this pack o' meats, it sounds fantastic. Also, that Wagyu bresaola!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Oddhair posted:

Just be aware that pink peppercorns are related to cashews, not pepper, and can trigger tree nut allergies.

:eng101:

Wow that is kind of amazing actually.

Also, finocchiona is the greatest.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

I've got an interview coming up soon. Seems like good stuff.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I just bought one of those pocket cell phone battery charger thingies for :10bux: off Amazon because eh, gently caress it

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

Oddhair posted:

Just be aware that pink peppercorns are related to cashews, not pepper, and can trigger tree nut allergies. That said, I'm probably going to order this pack o' meats, it sounds fantastic. Also, that Wagyu bresaola!

:stare: holy poo poo I did not know this. Thank you goon sir for that. Are they usually listed on ingredients as a type of nut?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Trip report: the New Balance 990 running shoes that I ordered last week are every bit as awesome as Previous Shoe Chat made them out to be. Comfy as hell right out of the box, and will be perfect after a week or two of break-in. My work days consist largely of pounding around on a giant concrete aircraft hangar floor, and these shoes are better than anything I've tried in the last 5 years. Thank you, every person that recommended them, however many months ago.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
x500

You add a packet of this to some water and then it tastes exactly like you just squeezed a lemon wedge in there

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Got myself a new shelf at IKEA. :sweden:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Wanamingo posted:

x500

You add a packet of this to some water and then it tastes exactly like you just squeezed a lemon wedge in there

The lime is fantastic too. Grapefruit and orange are decent. Ordered a four pack last time they got mentioned

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Just bought a Ozark Trail 20oz tumbler to start drinking more water while at work... The walmart next to me was sold out of them for like 100 miles, and the walmart at the place I am traveling to was sold out of the 30oz and only had the 20oz...

Now to test and see if it really is the same as the Yeti.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

fyallm posted:

Just bought a Ozark Trail 20oz tumbler to start drinking more water while at work... The walmart next to me was sold out of them for like 100 miles, and the walmart at the place I am traveling to was sold out of the 30oz and only had the 20oz...

I think all of those are made in the same factory in China. The only difference I've seen in a few of them are the lids. They all work great as far as I've seen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The latest thing I purchased was a ring.

She said yes!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

fyallm posted:

I bought a couple and they work as well as the RTIC and Yeti brand ones I have and at a fraction of the cost. You won't be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
"Oatmeal chocolate chip Quest bars" taste exactly like "cinnamon chocolate chip Quest bars" with pretty much zero discernible oat. Not bad, per se, but not like oatmeal or granola in the slightest.