Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Has there been any discussion about the templating on Fabricate using "Create ~ token" instead of "Put ~ token onto the battlefield"? Are they meant to be the same game action, just with less text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Entropic posted:

It's perfect against Splinter Twin. :v:

it slows it down a turn but you can still kiki/twin up a billion dudes during the next end step.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

Has there been any discussion about the templating on Fabricate using "Create ~ token" instead of "Put ~ token onto the battlefield"? Are they meant to be the same game action, just with less text?

no you actually have to go to a printer and have your token made

without running afoul of slow play

(Create is a shortcut for put tokens into the battlefield. They are exactly the same.)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The reason they don't have Loxodons and Rakshasas on Kaladesh is because WOTC correctly determined that they don't care if you, a non-Indian person are offended by the lack of Loxodons and Rakshasas.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Devor posted:

WotC will introduce their branded portable 3D printer that will be required for this mechanic.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zoness posted:

this guy knows that the japanese folklore set "failed" because it was a better simulacrum of japanese folklore than people wanted right

Ah yes, Rakshasa, a known unresonant element that simply has no place in a magic set.

Also brown people are out of the question, but blue people should be fine.

Devor posted:

They're the same game action, but with new wording. Everything uses the Create templating from Kaladesh onward.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
But what if you are an indian person who is offended by the lack of Cat Demons and Elephant Gods and generally Indian looking people...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Logicblade posted:

But what if you are an indian person who is offended by the lack of Cat Demons and Elephant Gods and generally Indian looking people...

gently caress you.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Logicblade posted:

Would you be satisfied if the only Cat Demons and Elephant Gods are new cards printed only at the Masterwork rarity?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
We're going to India, the exotic land of dwarves, elves, and white ladies with mens names.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

We're going to India, the exotic land of dwarves, elves, and white ladies with mens names.

at least the blue people are accurate to depictions of gods

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

my favorite part of all this is that if they tried to accurately depict Indian culture and mythology a lot of people, probably some of whom are angry now, would say that it was insensitive to take a culture's rich traditions and figures of myth and story and turn them into monsters that punch each other, and that the sacred should not be made into a children's card game.

I think wizards learned from Kiora Atua that flavor is ok, but flavor that strongly mimics real world mythology is very dangerous. Theros is fine because there's no Ancient Greeks around to complain.

EDIT: note that I think the above criticism, i.e. shoving important cultural elements into Magic wherever they best fit is insensitive, is valid, and I think it's good that Kaladesh's Indian flavor is kind of a light touch

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Um excuse me Gremlins have elephant trunks so

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Theros is fine because there's no Ancient Greeks around to complain.

This is something that is still bugging me after I saw the full set. It is supposed to take place in a plane similar to ancient Greece so someone would expect the artwork to be relevant. Well, it is but only to some extent. Browsing through the cards I noticed a lot of the images depicting Africans, NOT Greeks. Since when my country is in Africa?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

my favorite part of all this is that if they tried to accurately depict Indian culture and mythology a lot of people, probably some of whom are angry now, would say that it was insensitive to take a culture's rich traditions and figures of myth and story and turn them into monsters that punch each other, and that the sacred should not be made into a children's card game.

Yeah, gently caress those imaginary hypocrites

You can take things from a culture and mythology without creating Vishnu 1U 2/2 etb: current player becomes enlightened

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
wouldn't vishnu be green or white and not blue

sarasvati strikes me as a much more blue deity

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
They probably should make the humans on the India-inspired plane look like they're from India.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zoness posted:

wouldn't vishnu be green or white and not blue

sarasvati strikes me as a much more blue deity

In that he's depicted as literally physically blue

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

quote:

A few years ago i was at pax, and they announced that they’d have FTV 20 for sale at cost. I camped out at 3am to try because lol, it’s magic and you’ll never get it at cost. I got in the hall and went as fast as i could and was like 14th in line for 10 possible copies. first seven or eight went, and a few others left the line till there were two more and a few dudes ahead of me. a soldier came in and took his copy that somehow had been reserved for him as a person with a disability of some kind. apparently the last copy had also been earmarked for a person with a disability, but she hadn’t shown up yet and it had been four or five hours since show opened. dudes in front of me bailed and it was just me. Lady at the counter sighed, took the copy, and placed it into my hand. my other hand had my money out. She started to reach for the money and then a voice rang out and said “Thanks for waiting!” and the lady straight took the box back out of my hand and pivoted to give it to the other person. I stood there for a few minutes, just stunned like someone had clocked me or something. My hand was still in the shape of holding the box.
She turned, apologetically, and said “Sorry, that was the last one. But how about these chandra goggles instead?”
I turned and left.
I waited so long. I’m still waiting.

uh, what

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

quote:

A few years ago i was at pax, and they announced that they’d have FTV 20 for sale at cost. I camped out at 3am to try because lol, it’s magic and you’ll never get it at cost. I got in the hall and went as fast as i could and was like 14th in line for 10 possible copies. first seven or eight went, and a few others left the line till there were two more and a few dudes ahead of me. a soldier came in and took his copy that somehow had been reserved for him as a person with a disability of some kind. apparently the last copy had also been earmarked for a person with a disability, but she hadn’t shown up yet and it had been four or five hours since show opened. dudes in front of me bailed and it was just me. Lady at the counter sighed, took the copy, and placed it into my hand. my other hand had my money out. She started to reach for the money and then a voice rang out and said “Thanks for waiting!” and the lady straight took the box back out of my hand and pivoted to give it to the other person. I stood there for a few minutes, just stunned like someone had clocked me or something. My hand was still in the shape of holding the box.
She turned, apologetically, and said “Sorry, that was the last one. But how about these chandra goggles instead?”
I turned and left.

"Man, disabled people get everything handed to them, even down to the best parking places!" -talinthas, probably.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

But how about these chandra goggles instead?”
I turned and left.

He talks about Chandra and his son being named Chandra.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think wizards learned from Kiora Atua that flavor is ok, but flavor that strongly mimics real world mythology is very dangerous. Theros is fine because there's no Ancient Greeks around to complain.

EDIT: note that I think the above criticism, i.e. shoving important cultural elements into Magic wherever they best fit is insensitive, is valid, and I think it's good that Kaladesh's Indian flavor is kind of a light touch

IIRC they said more or less this at one of the PAX panels. It does make me curious what people were saying on Usenet about Jamuraa 20 years ago, though.

Sit on my Jace fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 13, 2016

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Anil Dasharez0ne is a good user name, congrats.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is something that is still bugging me after I saw the full set. It is supposed to take place in a plane similar to ancient Greece so someone would expect the artwork to be relevant. Well, it is but only to some extent. Browsing through the cards I noticed a lot of the images depicting Africans, NOT Greeks. Since when my country is in Africa?

Greece had regular dealings with Persia, Egypt, and Carthage. If it helps, think of it as depicting "the world at the height of Grecian power" and not "ancient Greece."

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
It's in fact very resonant for a plane full of brown people to all be engineers.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The first people to settle Greece came up from Africa, and for centuries afterwards there was trade across the Mediterranean which brought black (the Greek catch-all for them was "Ethiopian") traders, expatriates, and even slaves, after the defeat of Xerxes. Art from the time following Alexander suggests blacks were a significant minority in Greece, often taking up occupations as athletes or performers. So Arena Athlete is actually almost accurate

Four Score fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 13, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Hellsau posted:

Would you be satisfied if the only Cat Demons and Elephant Gods are new cards printed only at the Masterwork rarity?

I'm mostly just being facetious. Representation is important, but I'd rather have a collectible card game focus on making their product fun and enjoyable instead of feeling the need to pander to certain people's ideas and beliefs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Was reproach too good? Seems like white is better at burning creatures out than red is atm.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Oh, I know. I'm doing the LoB thing and quoting mtgs.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Was reproach too good? Seems like white is better at burning creatures out than red is atm.

ajani's wrist technique is 75% as good as gideon's

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Rules question. My opponent has Authority of the Consulate in play. I cast Fleetwheel Cruiser. Does it enter tapped?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
No, it's not a creature until its trigger happens at which point it's already entered play untapped.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Edit: ignore me.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

caiman posted:

Rules question. My opponent has Authority of the Consulate in play. I cast Fleetwheel Cruiser. Does it enter tapped?

No. Enters the battlefield as an artefact, then it's trigger happens and makes it a creature

efb 1.5 times apparently

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Is this the first of Ajani we've seen besides that one random art piece?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Logicblade posted:

I'm mostly just being facetious. Representation is important, but I'd rather have a collectible card game focus on making their product fun and enjoyable instead of feeling the need to pander to certain people's ideas and beliefs.

yea, the people who design the cards also design the art, and this is a real concern.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ok how about this one. Opponent has Authority of the Consulate, I cast Depala, Pilot Exemplar. Does her last ability trigger?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I think not, because she's entering tapped and not becoming tapped.

I could be wrong though.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Some Numbers posted:

I think not, because she's entering tapped and not becoming tapped.

This. It was never untapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Instant speed 3 mana removal for white with a relatively soft condition (power 3 or greater) and Scry 1 on top.

This seems constructed playable.

This seems like an easy first pick windmill slam in limited.

And this seems like a super-massive bomb in limited.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 13, 2016

• Locked thread