Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
X3 killed Patrick Stewart. Unforgivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Here got better

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like DOFP (even if not as much as First Class, my favorite X-movie by far) but it's impressive how much better the Rogue Cut makes it. Not even just the actual stuff with Rogue, but the fact that there are a number of scenes allowed to go on for a few seconds longer than they were in the theatrical cut, and it's a good example of how even small cuts can take away from things.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't think the idea of Apocalypse gels well with the things that work in the X movies. DofP wouldn't have benefitted from some giant sentinel battle at then end, it worked because of the fun setting and character elements. Apoc was stuck being this boss battle at the end with essentially zero character/personality beyond the generic 'mutants good humans bad' that Magneto has said for 5 movies already, so it ends up falling flat. I feel like there was so much they could've done by just tweaking Apocalypse - what makes him tick, how he dresses/behaves, something besides making him absorb things from the TV and order around some nobodies.

So far Thanos hasn't been very promising in that regard either, and I have a hard time seeing Darkseid done better than Zod.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Valkyrie suffers because it's dominated by Tom Cruise. He's just too big for such an introspective, character-driven thriller.

There's also the Hitler Lives problem.

Singer is a good director who gets interesting ideas in his head that don't quite work on the screen. That's why I like him. All of his superhero movies are worth watching.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's also the Hitler Lives problem.

Valkyrie forgot the most important rule: As always, for the love of god, KILL HITLER

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

K. Waste posted:

If that scene is better than the whole movie, Apocalypse was seriously a piece of poo poo.

Oh, glory, a brain freeze gag!

Singer forgot that character development and pacing was important and ditched it for some reason. The movie's got some interesting stuff in it, but it's buried under a real boring plot they keep forcing in front of you all the time. It felt really lifeless. I dunno.

The opening scene is amazing though. It's so violent.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The thing that bothered me most about Apocalypse was how easily and thoughtlessly he would kill people, and how he seemed to go out of his way to not kill any main characters. That and Mystique does absolutely nothing physical throughout the movie except get choked for like two solid minutes, which was a stark contrast from Days of Future Past where she was kung fu fighting dudes. It's like they were scared of ripping her costume or something.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

^^^ they may well have been, I recall an interview where Jennifer Lawrence said they redid the costume from the ground up and it was a pantyhose thing.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Star Wars comparison is in reference to the original X-Men, X2, and Ratner's The Last Stand, not the soft reboot that Apocalypse is part of.
While that's true, my immediate reaction to the line was "glass houses, guys, glass loving houses."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Apocolypse felt like a less well-done reboot of Days of Future Past. Same plot beats, same themes, etc. They even somehow reset Magneto and Xavier's motivations and debates back to square one.

Magneto must have some legitimate long-term memory issues. He's been thwarted multiple times, seems to learn that his plan of mutant supremacy is not feasible, and even has a glimpse into the future to see how well his plans turn out and he still decides to replay his exact scheme over again and hope that it works.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The thing that bothered me most about Apocalypse was how easily and thoughtlessly he would kill people, and how he seemed to go out of his way to not kill any main characters. That and Mystique does absolutely nothing physical throughout the movie except get choked for like two solid minutes, which was a stark contrast from Days of Future Past where she was kung fu fighting dudes. It's like they were scared of ripping her costume or something.

Also, how useless the Horsemen were. Magneto did his standard levitate in the air and lift big stuff and probably kill lots of people off-camera, but Angel, Storm, and Psylocke were so pointless.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cythereal posted:

Also, how useless the Horsemen were. Magneto did his standard levitate in the air and lift big stuff and probably kill lots of people off-camera, but Angel, Storm, and Psylocke were so pointless.

Did you miss the part where Psylocke did a flip and then cut a car in half to show "SHE MEANS BUSINESS"???

Psychological warfare is just as important as conventional warfare. She did her part.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, every part of that was a missed opportunity. I even liked the character design and the actors for Storm and Angel, but they do *nothing*, it's such a waste of screentime.

K. Waste posted:

Nah, X2 is still aces...

Agreed. Wolverine's berserker rampage in the X-mansion remains one of the most awesomely-staged action sequences in a superhero film. That, the Blade blood rave opener, and the Daredevil hallway fight are top of the pile.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Semi-related: Jessica Jones apparently won Marvel TV's first Emmy

Also, the Russo Brothers gave an interview today and seemed to hint that Captain Marvel will debut in Infinity War before her solo film and that there have been talks to have at least Daredevil and maybe the Defenders do a small cameo in Infinity War.

The exact quote that is leading people to think Captain Marvel is debuting in Infinity War is the Russo's saying that they "look forward to the chance to re-partner with Brie Larson" in response to a question about Marvel having the Russo's consult on Captain Marvel after Infinity War is done.

The Defenders quote is more specious and is just them saying that they have talked to the Daredevil showrunner about it, want to do it, but won't confirm or rule anything out.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 13, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The exact quote that is leading people to think Captain Marvel is debuting in Infinity War is the Russo's saying that they "look forward to the chance to re-partner with Brie Larson" in response to a question about Marvel having the Russo's consult on Captain Marvel after Infinity War is done.

And here I thought it was just a Community reference.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

computer parts posted:

And here I thought it was just a Community reference.

Yeah, I thought that too.

Here's the full blurb from the article:

quote:

Brie Larson was recently confirmed to be playing the ex-Air Force colonel, a casting announcement that seemed very far in advance, as Captain Marvel won't be released for another three years. Naturally, many people jumped to the conclusion that this meant Carol would appear in Infinity War, and the Toronto Sun asked the Russos about working with the actress, whom they previously directed on Community.

"It’s an incredible piece of casting. You couldn’t ask for better. Not only is she an amazingly talented actor but she’s a wonderful human being. We’re really looking forward to the opportunity of re-teaming with her… if we were to get the chance to work with that character."

That dramatic, misleading pause communicates one thing very clearly: The Russos are aware that everyone wants to know whether Captain Marvel will appear in Infinity War, and they delight in teasing us with non-information. In their report, the Toronto Sun noted that the Russos were similarly coy regarding Spider-Man's involvement in Civil War, which we now know was because the negotiations with Sony were taking longer than expected — forcing the Russos and writers Chris Markus and Stephen McFeely to redraft the script.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The answer to why Apocalypse was so bad can be summed up with: Simon Kinberg.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

The answer to why Apocalypse was so bad can be summed up with: Simon Kinberg.

Is that the writer?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Drifter posted:

Is that the writer?

And producer. He's also writing the next X-men movie.

No idea if it is fair to blame him or not though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No idea if it is fair to blame him or not though.

He shares script credit on The Last Stand with Zak Penn. He had almost no involvement in First Class. He did wrote the script of Days of Future Past, but did so on a story that Vaughn and Jane Goldman came up with, and they rewrote him quite a bit. With Apocalypse, he wrote it completely unfettered.

I know that correlation isn't causation, but looking at his career, both X-Men and otherwise, the more he's left to his own devices, the less competent the scripts are.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The fact that Kinberg got through his involvement in Fantastic Four unscathed when it destroyed Josh Trank's career is a crime.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Age of Apocalypse literally had Magneto and Apocalypse destroying a majority of every major city around the world, no? Like, what's next for the series, another time travel movie to reset the worldwide destruction?

That deleted mall scene made me realize I had forgotten literally every one of those characters - teen-nightcrawler, tean-jean, teen-jubilee.

God what a dumb movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chairman Capone posted:

The fact that Kinberg got through his involvement in Fantastic Four unscathed when it destroyed Josh Trank's career is a crime.

Trank's issue was that he shittalked his bosses when his bosses knew everyone else in the industry.

The inverse of this is Zach Snyder, who got 4 major tentpole films because he's such a nice guy to work with.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The most memorable part of Apocalypse happens in like the first 5 minutes when a guy gets turned into a cube.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

computer parts posted:

The inverse of this is Zach Snyder, who got 4 major tentpole films because he's such a nice guy to work with.

Well, and he makes them a ton of money.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

computer parts posted:

Trank's issue was that he shittalked his bosses when his bosses knew everyone else in the industry.

And Snyder's movies make money.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tezcatlipoca posted:

And Snyder's movies make money.

Actually, if you triple the budget for marketing and divide the gross by 4, he loses money.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

Actually, if you triple the budget for marketing and divide the gross by 4, he loses money.

It was real stupid of WB to budget their films so they all need to hit a billion to break even

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Having heard the rule of thumb for how much a movie needs to make compared to its budget to be truly profitable increase from 2 to 3 to 4 in the last few years, I'm genuinely curious which of two uniquely pathetic scenarios is true:

1) Studios are becoming that much more lavish and wasteful with their approaches to marketing and distributing movies, leading to movies that could have easily made a strong profit becoming embarrassing boondoggles
2) This is the same kind of Hollywood accounting horseshit that lets a studio claim the Harry Potter franchise still isn't profitable or whatever, except now there's a more credulous online audience that's rooting for movies they don't like to be embarrassing boondoggles

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm guessing BvS made a lot of its budget back before it was even released just like Man of Steel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'm guessing BvS made a lot of its budget back before it was even released just like Man of Steel.

If the number of goddamn collectible cups is any indication, probably.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Isn't Hollywood known for abusing the usage of unpaid interns? Seems like a good way to keep costs down. Also explains the quality of a lot of marketing materials.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hollywood is a loving maze of terrible poo poo. Wording in contracts is also a major thing. I forgot which term was poison but studios set up in such a way that a film can never make a profit on paper to avoid profit sharing. There was a video someone made on youtube who broke the whole thing down and used one of the Marvel movies as an example.

Corporations, man.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jimbot posted:

Hollywood is a loving maze of terrible poo poo. Wording in contracts is also a major thing. I forgot which term was poison but studios set up in such a way that a film can never make a profit on paper to avoid profit sharing. There was a video someone made on youtube who broke the whole thing down and used one of the Marvel movies as an example.

Corporations, man.

You gotta get points on the backend or wahtever, not gross or net or weird poo poo. I don't know.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Drifter posted:

You gotta get points on the backend or wahtever, not gross or net or weird poo poo. I don't know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The key phrase to get in the contract is "first-dollar gross participation", which is that a percentage (almost always small - under one percent) of the money that comes in to the studio is immediately cut into a stream that specifically goes to you, before any internal accounting is done on it, at which point money just appears to disappear down a dark hole that no one in accounting is willing to rappel down into.

Like nobody ever has this, though. Nolan has it. Spielberg. The Weinsteins have let Tarantino have it after Pulp Fiction basically made Miramax (Tarantino pulled in somewhere around $35-$40 million off of Inglorious Basterds, and close to that off of Django Unchained -- Quentin Tarantino is probably worth north of nine figures at this point, dude is obnoxiously rich). And I want to say only Nolan and Spielberg have large up-front quotes that they get in addition to that first-dollar gross, and I don't even know if Spielberg necessarily has that anymore, since the town for whatever reason at this point has deemed him as old hat.

Jenny Angel posted:

Having heard the rule of thumb for how much a movie needs to make compared to its budget to be truly profitable increase from 2 to 3 to 4 in the last few years, I'm genuinely curious which of two uniquely pathetic scenarios is true:

1) Studios are becoming that much more lavish and wasteful with their approaches to marketing and distributing movies, leading to movies that could have easily made a strong profit becoming embarrassing boondoggles
2) This is the same kind of Hollywood accounting horseshit that lets a studio claim the Harry Potter franchise still isn't profitable or whatever, except now there's a more credulous online audience that's rooting for movies they don't like to be embarrassing boondoggles

The joke here is that distribution is cheaper than ever, as more and more digital cinema takes over, cutting out so many middlemen as now DCPs are sent by courier in bulk to like five thousand theaters across the world. No more striking prints, no more courier-to-courier passing down the line driving up costs. No more prints wearing down on a long run requiring replacement prints to be struck six to eight weeks into it - plus simpler and easier retrieval of the "films" as they get popped into boxes and dropped in a FedEx box - we're at a point now where a studio putting out an actual amount of film prints out of anything more than necessity of them wanting to play a movie in some random corner of the world is newsworthy. The 70mm roadshow presentation of Hateful Eight? That The Master and Inherent Vice were given limited 70mm runs? That Dunkirk will be IMAX 15-perf and 65mm from start to finish and available in the film print versions of those formats? These were all newsworthy. A few decades ago, it was goddamn expected that there'd be a 70mm blow-up of the big movies, with some of the truly big swaggering names in the industry getting to swing their dicks and shoot in 65.

So the answer is #2.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 14, 2016

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

tbh, the two aren't really seperate. having larger marketing budgets just lets you say that movies never made profits way easier

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PenguinKnight posted:

tbh, the two aren't really seperate. having larger marketing budgets just lets you say that movies never made profits way easier

Especially when 20th Century Fox buys ad time from FX for 3x markup.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

The most memorable part of Apocalypse happens in like the first 5 minutes when a guy gets turned into a cube.

Agreed. Apocalypse and DoFP are both shocking in how fuckin savage they are in their opening action scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How would Freakazoid fit into the current DC cinematic universe? Bummin' me out just not seeing it... >:[ Thats basically what Justice League needs.

• Locked thread