Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

when you get an item that you think might be worth selling check poe.trade for similar things and see what they are going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's not too low level it's just trivial to get life + 2 resists on a hat. Gloves and Hat with life + resists are hard to sell unless you have 4 very high rolls (90 life 44 fire 42 cold 35 lightning res hat would sell for example). Don't even bother with chest armor, no one wants to spend fusings to link rare chest armor when it's so much cheaper to buy a 6L and chaos it until you get something good. You could have body armor with 1200 armor, 105 life, 46 fire res, 36 cold res, 45 lightning res listed for 1 chaos for a month and no one would want that poo poo unless it's 5 linked.

Hint: Boots with 3 really great rolls and 30% movespeed and rings/amulets with 4 really great rolls and a useful implicit are very valuable. Other pieces with 4 great rolls tend to only be a few chaos, unless it's a weapon with really high flat phys + really high % phys, in which case those 2 mods alone will make it worth a shitload. Anything with 3 good stats in an easy to roll slot you'd have trouble selling at all.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Part of the issue is that it's straight ES gear with +life. Most people using ES gear are (if I'm right) going CI, which means the +life is useless. Life + 2 res is okay, 1-2c as said. Life + 3 res (on non-ES gear) is really solid.

Hell, I've probably got a ton of things in stash marked at 1 alch-1c that are complete trash. Probably should nuke them. :D

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Shinino Kage posted:

Part of the issue is that it's straight ES gear with +life. Most people using ES gear are (if I'm right) going CI, which means the +life is useless. Life + 2 res is okay, 1-2c as said. Life + 3 res (on non-ES gear) is really solid.

Hell, I've probably got a ton of things in stash marked at 1 alch-1c that are complete trash. Probably should nuke them. :D

Hybrid is still really solid, I'm not sure why CI is so in vogue. I guess probably something to do with the proliferation of really good rares this league, making it much cheaper?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Well the two main reasons is Chaos immunity is a pretty great deal and especially tempting for new/inexperienced players, and people associate low-life with needing Shavs = expensive, while CI scales pretty linearly and you can get by with bad to mediocre ES chests for a while - there aren't any big, hugely expensive items that you 'have' to get ASAP with CI.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ci is good because 12k buffer hp >>>>>>> everything

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Stone Golem also has a taunt that functions similarly to Decoy Totem. I'm using him on my saboteur as it's less crap I have to cast in battle and he's tankier than the totem, at least for my non-totem build.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Vasudus posted:

Like people keep thinking I'm trolling or something when I mention it in guild chat but I am 100% dead serious when I say DECOY. TOTEM.

Why: Decoy Totem was changed in 2.2(?) to do an actual TAUNT. Yes, your totem that you can place on the opposite end of the screen can in fact override monster AI and cause them to be attacked, guaranteed.

Example: Right before Izaro goes active, when he's on his little lift, put a decoy totem on the opposite side of the screen. Izaro will become active, and attack you once. The decoy totem will pulse, and Izaro will immediately do a 180 and attack your totem instead. If you have it leveled, it can take A LOT of hits for what it is. No, it's not going to tank the whole goddamn fight, that would be crazy. So you cast it again when it's low or dies, and Izaro will do the same thing - attack you once, the totem pulses, and then he turns. This not only lets more frail builds still do Uber (or merciless, or whatever) but it also lets you do certain gimmicks that would otherwise be a challenge. Melee and have to do golem essences? Easy, put that totem far away from the golem and don't worry about Izaro absorbing it if you babysit it a bit.

It works on all bosses, all mobs. I use it on Izaro, I use it on Atziri, I use it on packs of leaping goatmen. I use it when I'm opening a strongbox on a rippy map. I use it on all builds, all classes.

Quality gives it more health.

Now I kinda want to try a Hiro with 1 taunt and 3 searing bond totems.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So i have managed to collect nearly 3ex (2ex + like 80 chaos), and want to buy a bow to replace my existing rare harbringer.

This is the build i have been following: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1597496

A few people in chat briefly mentioned i should skip the doomfletch and instead buy a Silvertounge (which is like 3x the price). Is it worth it?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Mo_Steel posted:

Now I kinda want to try a Hiro with 1 taunt and 3 searing bond totems.

Actually with the taunt you can get by with only 1 searing bond totem, and save the DPS hit from Hiero or the Ancestral bond penalty.
I did this last league. You have your curses on blasphemy, then cast Ball lightning + gmp (Or LMP if you don't want to invest in dex) and run right through the enemies that decoy totem has taunted.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Man, just started doing maps at 67 on the selfcast flameblaster and I am just getting ripped apart. Channeling flameblast is basically death, even at 105% cast speed.

Might be time for a new character :( Not sure what I'd want to roll though. That Scion Spark build looked amazing but I guess it's not so good now, so I'll have to pick something else.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Man, just started doing maps at 67 on the selfcast flameblaster and I am just getting ripped apart. Channeling flameblast is basically death, even at 105% cast speed.

Might be time for a new character :( Not sure what I'd want to roll though. That Scion Spark build looked amazing but I guess it's not so good now, so I'll have to pick something else.

Let totems do the casting instead? You probably have tons of respec points from leveling and can buy more cheaply enough.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Ciaphas posted:

Get totems to cast that poo poo my dude.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Seems like it'll take a lot more respeccing than I can afford to get over to the two totem node, among other things. Regrets are about a chaos each, right? I probably have a net wealth of about 40c at this point.

(edit) CiaphasSA_FSW is the character as of now. I wonder how much of this just stops working once I would get Ancestral Bond and can only use totems.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 14, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
You should have 24 (I think?) respec points from questing, too, assuming you haven't used then already

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 14, 2016

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Remember that you can use other skills, they just deal no damage.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't really imagine changing from flameblast to flameblast totems will require more than 30-ish points. Regrets are going at/around 1:1 or maybe a bit less. If you still like the character, spending a half dozen chaos (quest points + bought) to make it more viable for you is a smart move.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It takes probably more hours to lvl a new guy than spend the money with old guy and getting more while at it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Leveling with pizzapylons is ridiculously easy and fast though.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Selfcast flameblast is still a top tier skill, dont feel forced to switch over to totems if you dont want to.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A new player character starting maps at 67 is going to be having a tough time in general. Maybe run Dried Lake a bit til you're ready.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What the deal with Dried Lake? Is that the best grinding spot or something?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's high monster level, relatively safe (the puncture monsters are annoying though), high pack density, and easy to travel (just kind of run in an oval).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

What the deal with Dried Lake? Is that the best grinding spot or something?

It's level 67, which is almost the highest zone in the overworld, and is wide open with a huge amount of dense monster packs. Though its dropped in value substantially, Brittle Emperor drops are still pretty good.

Depending on your build, you can pull up to 250m XP/hour and go from 65-ish to 75-ish in like two hours.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are Vaal Gems super mega powerful or are they just trash?
Because they are incredibly annoying to use so I figured that they must be great numerically or something.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
They run the gamut. Some are like universally good (vaal haste), some can be good depending on your build and some are definitely trash. They also differ in how they are used, like some you want to try to keep up as you clear packs and some you just save for the boss or a dangerous situation.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Vaal skills kinda need to be looked at IMO. Most of them are pretty much trash.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I think the only Vaal skill I've ever used is Vaal discipline on a CI character.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Vaal Grace is pretty nice if you're already going dodge / evasion.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Vaal Lightningstrike used to be a good bosskiller

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vaal grace, haste, discipline and clarity all have their uses. Vaal spark used to be amazing for speed clearing, RIP. Vaal lightning trap is good for making GBS threads out a bunch of shocked ground to speed up a boss kill. Vaal molten shell also used to have a gimmick build. Mm... yeah.

Vvv - oh yeah, Vaal summon skeletons used to be a good boss distraction actually. Decoy totem is more reliable though.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 14, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bugsy posted:

Mapping guide [...]

This is really helpful, thanks.

Jack Trades posted:

Are Vaal Gems super mega powerful or are they just trash?
Because they are incredibly annoying to use so I figured that they must be great numerically or something.

Vaal Summon Skeletons is extremely funny in a summon skeleton build, but its comedy value and overall awesomeness is outweighed by the fact that you are playing a summon skeleton build

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 14, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My big frustration is that the only times I really would use a Vaal skill is on Uber Izaro, and welp sorry no souls for you.

I wish they could be triggered. Or if you could use them without souls, but they would have horrific cool downs which getting souls would reduce down to normal.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
About that drat bow again. I have spent way too long thinking about this poo poo, maybe I'll save you some time.

It is my opinion that the only proper way to use it right now is to get 100% pierce and use the bleed to scale your other damage. The only use for Fork I could come up with is Ice Shot and I don't think that would be worth it. I tried to get the chain to pierce thing to work, but all it seems to do is make bosses that don't have adds or are twinned take less damage, and saving just four skill points (unless you're not evasion based).

That leaves bleed on pierce, loads of bow builds are used to doing the drill neck thing anyway so this is a nice little bonus but in my opinion not really worth it unless you do something extra to take advantage of it, which to the best of my knowledge leaves Deadeye with Rupture or Assassin for Noxius Strike and Toxic Delivery. Assassin comes with chance to poison, Deadeye should get it from Snakebite or the support gem. The basic tree is pretty much the same:

Deadeye SC

This gets pierce from Ascendancy, assassin still needs to pick up the pierce cluster or get it somehow else. HC should consider travelling to Scion life, maybe dropping some crit nodes; I don't know maybe ask Rodent if you're actually interested.

I would stick with Tornado Shot as the primary for both versions.

I think I got it out of my system, I have an idea that haven't seen anyone else do that I will try to build instead - and I think it may actually be strong

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Soothing Vapors posted:

Vaal Summon Skeletons is extremely funny in a summon skeleton build, but its comedy value and overall awesomeness is outweighed by the fact that you are playing a summon skeleton build

VSS is useful regardless; you can summon a pile of skeletons for things to be distracted by while you blow them up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for the flameblast advice. I only have 10 respec points left from quests (and a couple of regret misclicks :doh:) so I'd have to buy a couple dozen regret to change over to totems. I might do that but I'll go mess around in Dried Lake for a while today first, see if I can find better rares to make fireblasting more survivable. (2.7k life atm, 600 or so ES)

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the flameblast advice. I only have 10 respec points left from quests (and a couple of regret misclicks :doh:) so I'd have to buy a couple dozen regret to change over to totems. I might do that but I'll go mess around in Dried Lake for a while today first, see if I can find better rares to make fireblasting more survivable. (2.7k life atm, 600 or so ES)

Have you done every single passive point quest?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Firos posted:

Have you done every single passive point quest?

Yep, everything's done except merciless Malachai and Lab, basically.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
So after trying a flameblast totem Inquisitor, a lacerate Juggy and a BVer I'm looking to try out a warchief totem build, but since there's roughly a billion and one I'm having trouble deciding. Is there any clear cut best build for that skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Bugsy posted:

Mapping guide
One thing I've wondered is how you get enough alchs / chaos / regals to make this all work. I've seen two regals total on my way to 75. Do you just have to do a lot of currency trading? Do you go through periods when you just run out? Can you plausibly net an alch, a regal and a vaal from a single high-tier map?

• Locked thread