Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jinnigan posted:

Hmm. I'm capping out at about tier 7 maps - I've died 2 times on the tier 8 maps I've tried. I think I really need to switch over to CI soon? https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters Even if I grabbed a shield or Mind Over Matter I don't think I'd really have enough tankiness to keep progressing. Or maybe I'm just a bad player? Please advise

:cripes:

bad rumis are 55c, that's your only goal

get an armor flask of staunching instead of movement speed if you die too often

remove phys to lightning, its anti-synergy with your poison, get crit instead, increased duration (or added fire if you can keep 20 stacks fine without it) for controlled destruction

get blasphemy (quality as much as you can) vuln + clarity instead of hatred, lose the mana flask

get vaal pact

if you go double wand (not a fan) spend some c to get two obliterations, otherwise an expensive spelldagger + shield so you can fortify and tempest shield

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

theshim posted:

Spark got nerfed

It's a shame they keep nerfing it, spark spiders is one of the coolest looking mtx.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
To add to what Foogla said:

You know Blade Vortex isn't an attack, right? Your mana pot has a useless suffix and you're CwDT'ing Blood Rage, so you're losing even more health without the benefit of being able to leech it back.
Did you mean to level up CwDT?
I hope you're joking about going CI because you don't have the gear and a ton of points into life. I count 14 respec needed at a minimum to get out of that Scion life wheel and into the Scion ES wheel, another 3 points to get out of Discipline and Training; the life points in Witch area can be converted to ES with an Energy from Within at least). Oh, and you still need 10 points at a minimum to get to CI and another 4 to pick up Essence Surge. It would be stupid expensive for you to make the switch now.
I would definitely go dagger/shield over dual-wand. Whirling Blades-Fortify-Faster Attacks for movement and some actual block when your Evasion inevitably fails you.
Seriously, if you're going to go Master Herbalist, you need to go all in on raising physical damage for the poison. Foogla's suggestion of Added Fire Damage is OK because it's, well, added, as opposed to converted (Phys-to-Light, Hatred).

The Real Foogla posted:

Doesn't need Staunching because of Master Surgeon.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 13, 2016

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Rurutia posted:

My partner's playing flameblast totems and is having a lot of fun with it.

This is literally the most fun I've had in POE in months. The ONLY issue I have is that the sound of the totems going off continuously gives me a headache, because I wear headphones to play.

Seriously, it's like loving mortars going off in my ears. Is there a way to just mute the sound of the skills without muting the sound of items dropping or boss cues? :(

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Shinino Kage posted:

This is literally the most fun I've had in POE in months. The ONLY issue I have is that the sound of the totems going off continuously gives me a headache, because I wear headphones to play.

Seriously, it's like loving mortars going off in my ears. Is there a way to just mute the sound of the skills without muting the sound of items dropping or boss cues? :(

There are separate sliders for "item filter alerts" and "annoying loving sound effects" in the audio options.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

There are separate sliders for "item filter alerts" and "annoying loving sound effects" in the audio options.

Right, but the option for sound effects (which I turned down just now) also turns down ANY skill effects. It's much better tho, so thanks!

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
What ascendency class are you guys using with Flameblast Totems? Can't decide on 4 totem Hiro, or crit Inq

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Drunk Badger posted:

What ascendency class are you guys using with Flameblast Totems? Can't decide on 4 totem Hiro, or crit Inq

I am King Toe Tums.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

ALL THE TOTEMS

And I forget who said it in guild chat, but goddamn I wish I had rolled with Decoy Totem sooner. Makes bosses even more trivial.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Decoy totem is the best skill in the game. I should do a video of doing uber izaro with like 3000hp and only taking a few stray mortar rounds.

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
I need some help with my build. I am an Assassin going Hybrid Life/ES with MoM and Blasphemy Enfeeble. The goal is to stack pure ES gear with Life and mana rolls wherever possible. My build requires only a Tremor Rod unique so I have a ton of flexibility in choosing gear. I only reserve Clarity and Enfeeble. Flasks are Two bubbling health pots, a bubbling mana, a Stibnite, and a Basalt. I also run CWDT+IC and Regen Golem. I can't leech so pots and golem are necessary.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...5dHBsBmAAAAAA==

My main questions are, is my tree efficient on Mana/Life/ES nodes? Should I be taking Melding over less efficient nodes? Is Melding better than Arcane Focus? Going Melding would open up another Jewel slot which is great for me. Did I cut too many life nodes? The Dps is honestly great, and as Arc Mines I spend most of the fights full screening things and rarely getting hit. Decoy Totem ensures bosses almost ignore me. I think my main confusion is in the efficiency of the life/mana/ES nodes I have?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

So I got a Brass Dome yesterday doing 2 of the t16 Guardians. Gonna wait for level up before attempting the next ones. It's currently worth around 5+ exalts 5 linked, with price of the map in the 30-40 chaos range.

Does anyone who is good with PoE economy have an idea of whether or not I should hold on to this or sell? I really like the piece, but if that price is going to plummet over time as more people run the map I don't want to lose out. I'd really like to save for a 6L Shav's and a Skyforth this league since I want to transition my character to Low Life.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a guide on mapping somewhere? I just hit merciless for the first time. I've spent a bit of time in the dried lake and am at lvl 71. I see on streams people alch and up the quality of their maps and stuff. I think I have all of two chisels, so...

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Is there a guide on mapping somewhere? I just hit merciless for the first time. I've spent a bit of time in the dried lake and am at lvl 71. I see on streams people alch and up the quality of their maps and stuff. I think I have all of two chisels, so...

Don't alch until maps are yellow in actual colour (mid tier), and don't chisel unless you know what you're doing.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

A very very rough guide:

Transmute/alt white maps
Alch yellow maps
Chisel + alch red maps

Should also vaal red maps to get the atlas completion.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well they're all tier one so I don't expect to see any red ones in my near future but thanks.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

The Real Foogla posted:

:cripes:

bad rumis are 55c, that's your only goal

remove phys to lightning, its anti-synergy with your poison, get crit instead, increased duration (or added fire if you can keep 20 stacks fine without it) for controlled destruction

get blasphemy (quality as much as you can) vuln + clarity instead of hatred, lose the mana flask

get vaal pact

if you go double wand (not a fan) spend some c to get two obliterations, otherwise an expensive spelldagger + shield so you can fortify and tempest shield

whypick1 posted:

To add to what Foogla said:

You know Blade Vortex isn't an attack, right? Your mana pot has a useless suffix and you're CwDT'ing Blood Rage, so you're losing even more health without the benefit of being able to leech it back.
Did you mean to level up CwDT?
I hope you're joking about going CI because you don't have the gear and a ton of points into life. I count 14 respec needed at a minimum to get out of that Scion life wheel and into the Scion ES wheel, another 3 points to get out of Discipline and Training; the life points in Witch area can be converted to ES with an Energy from Within at least). Oh, and you still need 10 points at a minimum to get to CI and another 4 to pick up Essence Surge. It would be stupid expensive for you to make the switch now.
I would definitely go dagger/shield over dual-wand. Whirling Blades-Fortify-Faster Attacks for movement and some actual block when your Evasion inevitably fails you.
Seriously, if you're going to go Master Herbalist, you need to go all in on raising physical damage for the poison. Foogla's suggestion of Added Fire Damage is OK because it's, well, added, as opposed to converted (Phys-to-Light, Hatred).

Doesn't need Staunching because of Master Surgeon.

Thank you for the feedback. One question i have is, if I swap out hatred for vulnerability, won't that interfere with warlord's mark? How will I get life leech?

Thanks for pointing out that Blood Rage doesn't interact with blade vortex. Whoopsy

I know that if I were going to respec into CI it would take me 20-30 regrets, and a lot of item investment. It seems stronger overall, especially towards the late game. Just a long term thought I guess

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Unless you pick up an item that gives you +1 curse (Doedre's Damning is fairly cheap, corrupted items worth a drat not so much) or Whispers of Doom (even more passive points), you have to choose between Warlord's and Vuln. Warlord's gives you the leech and some Endurance Charge generation, while Vuln is a huuuuuuge DPS boost because enemies take more physical damage and damage over time, so Poison double-dips.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 13, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Couple selfcast flameblast questions while I'm at work-

- I currently have 85% mana reserved between Anger and Enfeeble (or Warlord's Mark, can't make up my mind). This means I can't get up to a 10 stack hit on bosses without hitting a mana flask mid charge, and that only works once or twice per flask use because of the way regen stops when you cap out. Short of ponying up for Vaal Clarity, is there a better way to handle this?

- Right now my FB has linked Faster Casting, Elemental Proliferation, Concentrated Destruction (? might be misremembering the name, the one that increased damage for reduced crit chance) and Increased AOE (switch to Concentrated AOE for bosses). This takes a loooong time to kill fire resistant uniques and bosses. Short of getting a 6L, should I swap one of these to fire penetration? Which one?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
With spell echo I don't have too much of a hard time keeping up a high stack number, so maybe I can just swap out warlord's mark for vulnerability, and then pop in life leech instead of increased duration?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jinnigan posted:

Thank you for the feedback. One question i have is, if I swap out hatred for vulnerability, won't that interfere with warlord's mark? How will I get life leech?

Thanks for pointing out that Blood Rage doesn't interact with blade vortex. Whoopsy

I know that if I were going to respec into CI it would take me 20-30 regrets, and a lot of item investment. It seems stronger overall, especially towards the late game. Just a long term thought I guess

promise should be up 100%, that's all you need (if you go double obliteration you deal more chaos damage, and if you go dagger shield you take less damage)

edit btw there is a reason for going phys to lightning later: if the good vinktars say this pricy you might need to get the penetration one (and spec out of poison and eschange the phys scaling effects for ele/lightning obv)

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 13, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ciaphas posted:

Concentrated Destruction (? might be misremembering the name, the one that increased damage for reduced crit chance)
(switch to Concentrated AOE for bosses)
first one is controlled destruction second one is concentrated effect

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

- Right now my FB has linked Faster Casting, Elemental Proliferation, Concentrated Destruction (? might be misremembering the name, the one that increased damage for reduced crit chance) and Increased AOE (switch to Concentrated AOE for bosses). This takes a loooong time to kill fire resistant uniques and bosses. Short of getting a 6L, should I swap one of these to fire penetration? Which one?

Drop the prolif gem for sure, it's cutting a chunk out of your damage for no benefit.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Couple selfcast flameblast questions while I'm at work-

- I currently have 85% mana reserved between Anger and Enfeeble (or Warlord's Mark, can't make up my mind). This means I can't get up to a 10 stack hit on bosses without hitting a mana flask mid charge, and that only works once or twice per flask use because of the way regen stops when you cap out. Short of ponying up for Vaal Clarity, is there a better way to handle this?

Moddington posted:

Drop the prolif gem for sure, it's cutting a chunk out of your damage for no benefit.

Very much this. Swap out Prolif for Elemental Focus (which is basically the exact opposite of Prolif: no status effects, shitload more damage). Manually cast Flammability on bosses.

Use either Discipline (if you need more defense) or Haste (for faster casting) as your aura. If you're still having mana problems run with Clarity too. Blasphemy is rather useless since enemies should be out of its range most of the time (stick Enfeeble in an un-leveled CwDT setup though) and Anger isn't a good choice for a "hit hard, hit once" setup.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

White maps (T1 - T5) - need to run blue for atlas completion. I would make sure to do them with 2 mods. You know your build so don't do mods that you cant do. 20 quantity is the lowest possible rolls so you can get some more out of it by using a few alterations/augs. I would not worry about pack size.

Yellow Maps (T6 - 10) - need to be run as rare to get completion on the atlas. You can potentially get some scary maps here so if you get a map that's bad don't do it. Players are Cursed with Elemental Weakness/Vulnerability, Monsters have (260-300)% increased Critical Strike Chance +(36-40)% to Monster Critical Strike Multiplier, and Players Have Lower Maximum Resistances can be very deadly. Near the top of the yellow tier getting pack size become more important so you should re-roll maps with chaos if you get ones that are too tough to do.

Red Maps (T11 - T15) - need to be run as rare and corrupted for atlas completion. The easiest way to do this is get a single mod blue map, use a regal orb on it to make a rare 2 mod map, then vaal it and hope it doesn't turn into an 8 mod slaughterhouse. Same things apply from yellow maps but the bad mods can keep piling up. All red maps should be chisled up to 20% before you start rolling the mods on them, and pack size is very important.

In previous leagues I would always start using chisels t8 - t9 depending on how my drops went. Not sure on when to start with the atlas but I've been getting decent maps drops so far doing t6 and t7 maps.

You can run maps that are not identified for a +30% quantity bonus. If you want to grind challenges you will need to do 10 different tiers of rare un-id maps. Another challenge is to do 10 different tiers of Twinned maps (map has 2 unique bosses).

And finally maps can be traded up. Sell 3 of the same map to get a new map one tier higher. If you sell 3 rare maps you get an un-id rare map of the next tier which can save you trying to find a specific one for the challenge.

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-XnuS0OxX8 is the best pre 2.4 guide to building a map pool and explains some the concepts in deeper details.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Moddington posted:

Does it? I was told yesterday in guild that it helped clear times, and it certainly seemed to make large packs die faster if the ignite went off.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

My new outfit.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 14, 2016

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Does it? I was told yesterday in guild that it helped clear times, and it certainly seemed to make large packs die faster if the ignite went off.

Ignite only happens if you crit, or your (extremely small and bought on the tree) ignite chance procs. You're running controlled destruction, so I'm assuming this isn't a crit build. So you probably have like 5% ignite chance, and they won't be from a crit so they'll be fairly weak ignites. Or, you could trade prolif for ele focus and almost double your raw damage, without affecting the mana cost.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Vasudus posted:

Decoy totem is the best skill in the game. I should do a video of doing uber izaro with like 3000hp and only taking a few stray mortar rounds.

It's one of the best one link wonder skills in the game for any build with enough strength to level it up, I can't believe how good it is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

No, my crit chance was a mere 6.75% on the sheet before I slotted controlled destruction. Hardly have any crit at all.

I'll switch to focus tonight, thanks. Still wish I could get fire penetration on there without getting a 6L, though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm liking flameblast totems for removing the main downside of flameblast which is standing stationary and pumping mana into it.

Trying to figure out if I should go Life/ES Hybrid or go all the way with CI.

These are the two profiles I'm looking at for passive ideas.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/wulala1010/characters
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Sacr0/characters

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

J posted:

It's one of the best one link wonder skills in the game for any build with enough strength to level it up, I can't believe how good it is.

Partially because of this thread, I've been making use of Decoy Totem in maps on my Ranger, it's just SO loving helpful, especially when combined with Blink Arrow. If I don't feel comfortable facetanking and leeching the poo poo out of something as I fire an infinite Barrage at them, those two skills can be used to endlessly juke a boss around and allow me to finish it off. Pretty damned incredible.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Like people keep thinking I'm trolling or something when I mention it in guild chat but I am 100% dead serious when I say DECOY. TOTEM.

Why: Decoy Totem was changed in 2.2(?) to do an actual TAUNT. Yes, your totem that you can place on the opposite end of the screen can in fact override monster AI and cause them to be attacked, guaranteed.

Example: Right before Izaro goes active, when he's on his little lift, put a decoy totem on the opposite side of the screen. Izaro will become active, and attack you once. The decoy totem will pulse, and Izaro will immediately do a 180 and attack your totem instead. If you have it leveled, it can take A LOT of hits for what it is. No, it's not going to tank the whole goddamn fight, that would be crazy. So you cast it again when it's low or dies, and Izaro will do the same thing - attack you once, the totem pulses, and then he turns. This not only lets more frail builds still do Uber (or merciless, or whatever) but it also lets you do certain gimmicks that would otherwise be a challenge. Melee and have to do golem essences? Easy, put that totem far away from the golem and don't worry about Izaro absorbing it if you babysit it a bit.

It works on all bosses, all mobs. I use it on Izaro, I use it on Atziri, I use it on packs of leaping goatmen. I use it when I'm opening a strongbox on a rippy map. I use it on all builds, all classes.

Quality gives it more health.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Good point, I should grab a second to level for the level 20 -> 20% recipe.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Drunk Badger posted:

4 totem Hiro. :D

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Like people keep thinking I'm trolling or something when I mention it in guild chat but I am 100% dead serious when I say DECOY. TOTEM.

Why: Decoy Totem was changed in 2.2(?) to do an actual TAUNT. Yes, your totem that you can place on the opposite end of the screen can in fact override monster AI and cause them to be attacked, guaranteed.

Example: Right before Izaro goes active, when he's on his little lift, put a decoy totem on the opposite side of the screen. Izaro will become active, and attack you once. The decoy totem will pulse, and Izaro will immediately do a 180 and attack your totem instead. If you have it leveled, it can take A LOT of hits for what it is. No, it's not going to tank the whole goddamn fight, that would be crazy. So you cast it again when it's low or dies, and Izaro will do the same thing - attack you once, the totem pulses, and then he turns. This not only lets more frail builds still do Uber (or merciless, or whatever) but it also lets you do certain gimmicks that would otherwise be a challenge. Melee and have to do golem essences? Easy, put that totem far away from the golem and don't worry about Izaro absorbing it if you babysit it a bit.

It works on all bosses, all mobs. I use it on Izaro, I use it on Atziri, I use it on packs of leaping goatmen. I use it when I'm opening a strongbox on a rippy map. I use it on all builds, all classes.

Quality gives it more health.

Hm. If I'm doing 4 totem Hiro, that's only 4 totems total, right? Not 4 FB and 4 decoy? Just wondering. :D

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yes, it's 4 totems total. 3 FB and 1 Decoy works just fine.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

stupidnewbie.jpg: Is this any good?

I slapped an Essence into and it was complete garbage so I said gently caress it, consumed my first Chaos Orb since I started playing again and got this. Only my second time having a character 60+ :downs:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

maybe 1-2c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I figured it was too low level, but I have no idea what end-game stuff really looks like :shrug:

• Locked thread