Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bilperkins2 posted:

Does it come with an AC adapter brick as well?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

For Series 2. Not for Series 1.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OGB posted:

lol Seriously? Crappled again

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Endless Mike posted:

lol Seriously? Crappled again

Just another perk of owning the best.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

OGB posted:

Uhh. I just bought one three days ago from Best Buy and there was a power adaptor in the box. It wasn't one of the big bricks, but one of the small ones that come with iPhones.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

housefly posted:

Uhh. I just bought one three days ago from Best Buy and there was a power adaptor in the box. It wasn't one of the big bricks, but one of the small ones that come with iPhones.

The Series 1 Apple Watch isn't out yet. That's the new one that's like the old one except for the new faster chip. You bought an Apple Watch (2015).

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

lionlegs posted:

The Series 1 Apple Watch isn't out yet. That's the new one that's like the old one except for the new faster chip. You bought an Apple Watch (2015).

Ok. Whatever. Regardless, it came with the power adapter in the box. Does the new series 1 not? That would seem...odd.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

housefly posted:

Ok. Whatever. Regardless, it came with the power adapter in the box. Does the new series 1 not? That would seem...odd.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

I'm sure most Apple folks who have stuck with them for a while have about 20 of these things kicking around anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine mostly sit in the phone boxes they came in along with the Earpods since I have them where I need them or have a charging station thing nearby.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I'm sure most Apple folks who have stuck with them for a while have about 20 of these things kicking around anyway.

Apparently I'm the only one who includes the charger when selling old devices. :iiam:

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

housefly posted:

EDIT: Nevermind, explained better/faster above.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Apparently I'm the only one who includes the charger when selling old devices. :iiam:
No I also do this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

After my first full day on WatchOS 3, the battery life seems waaaaaaay worse. Might just be because I was playing with it a bunch, so I'll give it another couple days, but this is disappointing if it stays this way.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Dunno, my first two (nearly) full battery cycles seemed no worse. Still easily over a day at least.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

After my first full day on WatchOS 3, the battery life seems waaaaaaay worse. Might just be because I was playing with it a bunch, so I'll give it another couple days, but this is disappointing if it stays this way.
I think I might have 10-20% less than before...but I'm not really sure since I didn't check regularly much before. Pretty sure the first day was noticeably worse though, there was the usual "first day use new poo poo a lot" usage pattern though.

I vaguely remember a Mac Rumors thread saying the new analog activity face drained battery more in some of the betas, and that's the main face I've been using, so who knows.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, like I said, it might just be a first day new poo poo thing, and I do feel like I was playing with it more than usual, but it was down to 10% by 9 PM (put it on around 7 AM), when it would normally last until I go to sleep without hitting that. So at least 11% going by Apple's 18 hour figure. I'll give it another couple days and see if it settles down.

I will say Scribble works really well!

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
If anything I'm ending my day about +1-2% over normal on WatchOS3

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
At 34% now with about an hour less of basketball (using "other workout") than I usually play. Probably about in line if I played the usual amount since I've gone down to about 20% or less before. So maybe not as noticeably different as I thought before, at least with the same usage pattern. I could see it eating a bit more sometimes cause apps are more usable now and I'll use some more often than before, or just screwing around with scribbling messages out.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

BGrifter posted:

I usually include the charger and EarPods from my new device. I guess that might be less acceptable if I got a 7.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Okay! Second full day and I'm sitting at 25% right now, which is much more normal. Must have been first-day playing with it too much.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I would love to use the A-watch to track sleep, but when do I charge it? Anyone figure this out?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I would love to use the A-watch to track sleep, but when do I charge it? Anyone figure this out?
1) When showering/getting ready in the morning
2) Immediately after getting home

It really only needs like an hour or two of total charging time to last the rest of the day.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

While you take a shower. The Apple Watch can go from 30% to 75% charge in about 20-30 minutes. 75% is more than sufficient for most people for a day.
I tried the whole "wear the watch 24/7 except while you shower etc" thing for a few days and it was plenty of battery life for my needs but sleep tracking took more effort than it was worth.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Charge it on your desk at work for an hour when you get in.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
WatchOS3 battery life update day four: I put my watch on 12 hours ago after pulling it off the charger for the day and it's at 79% after a pretty normal day at work. This is a little bit better than usual where it's normally at ~73%. My iPhone 6S is at 40% which is a litttle bit worse but I used it a bunch today.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

rage-saq posted:

While you take a shower. The Apple Watch can go from 30% to 75% charge in about 20-30 minutes. 75% is more than sufficient for most people for a day.
I tried the whole "wear the watch 24/7 except while you shower etc" thing for a few days and it was plenty of battery life for my needs but sleep tracking took more effort than it was worth.

Endless Mike posted:

1) When showering/getting ready in the morning
2) Immediately after getting home

It really only needs like an hour or two of total charging time to last the rest of the day.

Hmm, good points. The charging seems fast as heck. I guess sleep tracking would probably become troublesome, and I somehow got this far without it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Any reports about how actually waterproof the new watch is? I swim a lot and honestly if a watch says "50m water resistance" the most ill do is accidentally get it wet in the sink. Usually swimming laps for an hour + hot tub + shower will quickly wreck a 50m resistance. True divers is where it's at.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

What apps do you use for A-Watch sleep tracking. I googled but just got a lot of articles about how it doesn't come with an app for that...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Any reports about how actually waterproof the new watch is? I swim a lot and honestly if a watch says "50m water resistance" the most ill do is accidentally get it wet in the sink. Usually swimming laps for an hour + hot tub + shower will quickly wreck a 50m resistance. True divers is where it's at.

https://twitter.com/panzer/status/776066182872903680

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What is happening in that gif.

If they made an ISO certified 200m diver Apple Watch with a bunch of apps for diving/kayaking/boat racing it would be pretty loving rad.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Blind Rasputin posted:

What is happening in that gif.

If they made an ISO certified 200m diver Apple Watch with a bunch of apps for diving/kayaking/boat racing it would be pretty loving rad.

When you exit swimming mode the speaker pulses to eject any water that got inside.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

I believe Tim called it the climax.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I honestly don't believe this to be true. I've had a few 50m watches over the years and I've never had an issue.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
Is there any advantage of getting the Nike+ edition if going to use the apple watch to track biking and swimming and not Running?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

During the keynote they showed the test rig they set up for testing waterproofing with the S2. It looked like it emulated powerful strokes over a large time period so I am comfortable believing it'll handle an hour of laps. I probably wouldn't try to get to the bottom of the deep end of the pool, but it shouldn't flake out during regular usage.

I guess we'll see how this actually plays out once people get their units.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fritzov posted:

Is there any advantage of getting the Nike+ edition if going to use the apple watch to track biking and swimming and not Running?

I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same as other Apple Watches except for the band and exclusive faces it has.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same as other Apple Watches except for the band and exclusive faces it has.

The custom faces are geared towards running though. Also the annoying messaging asking if you're going to get off your fat rear end and run.

So yeah it's more than just a visual thing but no, it wouldn't benefit a biker because you want to record bike workouts not running ones. Also for me- the bike stats I want are usually a little different from running

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I can't use the Face Gallery to change my watch faces, says I need to update my watch to 3.0 - which it already is

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fritzov posted:

I think the Nike bands (other than the Volt one) are better looking than the Apple sport bands, and they don't seem to be selling them separately.

• Locked thread