Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really don't get why they're so fixated on making Mystique super important in these new X-Men movies (besides it being Jennifer Lawrence, which... yeah I guess that makes sense). Also young Xavier comes off as a complete tool all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

How would Freakazoid fit into the current DC cinematic universe? Bummin' me out just not seeing it... >:[ Thats basically what Justice League needs.

Teen Titans Go have sort of became a spiritual successor to Freakzoid lately, with multiple episodes commenting on fandom (and hate-dom), cartoon production, and even oddly mature 'lessons' about rental property and expensive colleges.

Martman posted:

I really don't get why they're so fixated on making Mystique super important in these new X-Men movies (besides it being Jennifer Lawrence, which... yeah I guess that makes sense). Also young Xavier comes off as a complete tool all the time.

You have to admit that it's pretty sneaky for them to make multiple superhero movies focused on a female character without making a big deal out of it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Martman posted:

Also young Xavier comes off as a complete tool all the time.

All just setup for the Onslaught movie.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Xavier is always a tool in the movies and from what I've heard about the comics he's a huge shithead there too.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The MSJ posted:

You have to admit that it's pretty sneaky for them to make multiple superhero movies focused on a female character without making a big deal out of it.
Jean Grey's character got completely screwed out of any kind of arc or meaningful time in Apocalypse while they wasted time on mopey Mystique for no reason. That's cool that she's a woman, but does she have to also be really really boring?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I had so little interest in X-Men Apocalypse I don't even know if/when I'll see it. Rumors kept talking a Mystique solo movie and to be honest they should have done that before Apocalypse as an 80s styled film.

I'm assuming Mystique would have had been seen in a somewhat favorable like post-DoFP in an given what happened, so I was sort of interested in seeing if they would have done some version of something a proto-Suicide Squad/Origins:Wolverine with her.

She's aware of the horrible future mutants and humans might face, so she joins up with an 80s era government-sponsored "Freedom Force" and do a bunch of covert (or overt) Cold War superheroics. She could be conflicted about the whole affair, her human handlers, her mutant teammates, etc. but she's trying to believe that at the end of the day she's ultimately helping mutants. If they prove they're all trust-worthy, good little soldiers for the system, they'll eventually be able to get to a point where mutants will have some voice, power and protection in that system and that will do more to mainstream the mutant population than Charles or Erik's visions.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Fox has acquired the life rights to Stan Lee and is preparing a biopic for release in late 2017 or 2018.

If it flops, will Marvel have to wait 7 years to do a reboot of Excelsior: The Stan Lee Story? Or will Fox just keep releasing a new Stan Lee movie every decade to keep the rights?

Bonus Question: Who will play Stan Lee? I vote for Idris Elba.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 14, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bryan Cranston would be excellent for 90's-present Stan Lee.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want a Miyamoto biopic.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mierenneuker posted:

Bryan Cranston would be excellent for 90's-present Stan Lee.

That actually would be great. I'm going to be legitimately sad when we live in a world where Stan Lee isn't running around yelling "Excelsior!" and pitching weird ideas for new comic IPs that everyone has to listen to because he's Stan Lee.

Also, will Ike Perlmutter require whatever actor plays him to have their face blurred every time they appear onscreen?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Who will Stan Lee cameo as?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Fox has acquired the life rights to Stan Lee and is preparing a biopic for release in late 2017 or 2018.

If it flops, will Marvel have to wait 7 years to do a reboot of Excelsior: The Stan Lee Story? Or will Fox just keep releasing a new Stan Lee movie every decade to keep the rights?

They'll just co-cast a younger guy and adapt the Stans Of Future Past storyline

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Who will play Steve Ditko? Someone who knows what it's like to work for himself and not let others feed off the profits of his energy.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Something is very plainly wrong with comic book fans here.

Bruce Wayne wants to gently caress Joker in the face with a loaded handgun. He says this. And then Alfred asserts that Wayne is not psychologically capable of actually doing this (i.e. "you're not a killer").

It seems really straightforward: Alfred is saying that Bruce Wayne is not the type to face-gently caress a person with a handgun. That's what he means by "a killer." The meaning is based on the context.

But then you get these bizarre non-interpretations. Alfred's opinion is taken as an objective fact: Wayne objectively cannot kill anything. And all forms of killing are taken as objectively the same. Accidentally knocking Joker off a ledge, or having him sentenced to death after a fair trial, would be equally (objectively) bad as facefucking him with a loaded handgun.
It all comes back to the deeply weird morality of fanboys--talking about "no kill rules" instead of justifiable use of force. Like, in the really real word, there are no political movements saying that the police can break people's bones for fun, but should never kill anyone for any reason.

It's strange that there's a stereotype Marvel's characters as "human" while DC's are "epic." Yet DC's films are concerned with individual acts of violence, while Marvel is bumbling through problematic treatments of big political issues.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

greatn posted:

Who will Stan Lee cameo as?
Himself, like Hunter S. Thompson in Fear and Loathing or Howard Devoto in 24 Hour Party People.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My entire state of consciousness has been preoccupied with how to create a gritty live action Freakazoid for the past 48 hours. all spare mental resources get devoted to this task. Like maybe he gets infected by all social media so he's like a tumblr hitler social justice 9/11 parody video loving guy. Basically the embodiment of that prodromal schizophrenia post from fyad, but with a heart of gold. But how do you make that palatable to the mainstream? Or do you Deadpool it, and let some youtube guy go nuts with 50 mil? No because DC would ever allow an entire film to be made without the fingerprints of middle management all over it.

Ohhhhhhh drat so he's cruising the """""dark web"""" searching out the dankest memes that havent caught on w/the mainstream internet yet, trump pepes back in 2014, new spurdos. But Zod takes over every screen on Earth doing his big speech when he calls out Kal El, and The guy gets caught in the deep cyber and transformed into Freakazoid. So the movie can start with a big white title screen:

9/11 x 1000 - THE WORLD IS INTRODUCED TO THE FREAKAZOID since it all takes place during the Metropolis destruction.

Just trying to nail down any sort of tone at all is an exercise in frustration. Mentally draining. I will figure it out though.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 14, 2016

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

bring back old gbs posted:

My entire state of consciousness has been preoccupied with how to create a gritty live action Freakazoid for the past 48 hours. all spare mental resources get devoted to this task. Like maybe he gets infected by all social media so he's like a tumblr hitler social justice 9/11 parody video loving guy. Basically the embodiment of that prodromal schizophrenia post from fyad, but with a heart of gold. But how do you make that palatable to the mainstream? Or do you Deadpool it, and let some youtube guy go nuts with 50 mil? No because DC would ever allow an entire film to be made without the fingerprints of middle management all over it.

Ohhhhhhh drat so he's cruising the """""dark web"""" searching out the dankest memes that havent caught on w/the mainstream internet yet, trump pepes back in 2014, new spurdos. But Zod takes over every screen on Earth doing his big speech when he calls out Kal El, and The guy gets caught in the deep cyber and transformed into Freakazoid. So the movie can start with a big white title screen:

9/11 x 1000 - THE WORLD IS INTRODUCED TO THE FREAKAZOID since it all takes place during the Metropolis destruction.

Just trying to nail down any sort of tone at all is an exercise in frustration. Mentally draining. I will figure it out though.
Sir, this is a McDonalds drive-thru.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Halloween Jack posted:

Like, in the really real word, there are no political movements saying that the police can break people's bones for fun, but should never kill anyone for any reason.

Yeah there's definitely not anything going on in the news right now involving police officers using lethal force.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah there's definitely not anything going on in the news right now involving police officers using lethal force.

Not right now, but there is a controversy about a dude not standing during a song.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Is your gimmick to always miss the point of everything?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Would a biopic of Stan Lee even be interesting? like, I would be sorta interested in the early years of comics, but past the 70's it's just all been...you know.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Is your gimmick to always miss the point of everything?

Critical think?

Critical stink :colbert:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Police officers being extremely violently: rightfully criticized.
Batman doing the same: hey, at least he didn't kill him!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bonus Question: Who will play Stan Lee? I vote for Idris Elba.

It's not really a biopic. It's apparently a Kingsmen-style movie imagining Stan as a Bond-like agent.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Equeen posted:

Police officers being extremely violently: rightfully criticized.
Batman doing the same: hey, at least he didn't kill him!

Yes because I trust Batman to do the right thing. He is Batman. He is the moral equivalent of Superman and Wonder Woman.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yes because I trust Batman to do the right thing. He is Batman. He is the moral equivalent of Superman and Wonder Woman.

Now you know how #BlueLivesMatter people think. Including the part about the moral equivalency.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The MSJ posted:

It's not really a biopic. It's apparently a Kingsmen-style movie imagining Stan as a Bond-like agent.

Weird. The press release says it is based on the life of Stan Lee, but that it is an action movie set in the 70's. So, I have no idea how somebody decided that had to happen or how it is even based on Stan Lee's life at all. Unless there's something he's been hiding from us...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Weird. The press release says it is based on the life of Stan Lee, but that it is an action movie set in the 70's. So, I have no idea how somebody decided that had to happen or how it is even based on Stan Lee's life at all. Unless there's something he's been hiding from us...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ok now extrapolate the second part of that quote. Is BLM saying that it would be fine for officers to beat and cripple people as long as they never cross the line into killing?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Guy A. Person posted:

Ok now extrapolate the second part of that quote. Is BLM saying that it would be fine for officers to beat and cripple people as long as they never cross the line into killing?

Ehhhh... I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew here. I apologize, thread. I'm ready to admit that I don't know what I'm talking about here and apologize for bringing it up.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Martman posted:

It's pretty clear they signed her for a bunch of movies when she was hardly a star, coming out of that sitcom, but then she blew up and Fox just started seeing dollar signs. She's one of the most bankable stars in the franchise, so of course they prominently feature her. Her contract must be up right? I can't imagine she'd want to do any more.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

Stan Lee does have plenty of experience in espionage and stealing the intellectual property of his friends, :rimshot:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Guy A. Person posted:

Alternate universe Batman where his parents were crippled but not killed by a mugger and now his one rule is that he refuses to injure anyone

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

If they happen to be supervillains with high tech gadgets that are thematically tied to their outlandish costumes, sure.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind already exists, I can't imagine this will get near it especially as I'm sure there will be a lot of "suggestions" from Lee for the script.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If they happen to be supervillains with high tech gadgets that are thematically tied to their outlandish costumes, sure.

Batman does not exclusively target supervillains on his rampages.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When was the last issue where he just beat up some random thugs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KVeezy3 posted:

It was pretty hosed up of Batman to climb up the side of that building, eat some people and also The Riddler, then stomp on it until it collapsed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KVeezy3 posted:

Yeah I bet he plants those freeze rays and laser guns on them after he's beat them unconscious. :rolleyes:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Like hoodies, and gun-shaped wallets.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/rehsifyar/status/776076244186202112

You gotta love Fisher's enthusiasm for the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Yeah I bet he plants those freeze rays and laser guns on them after he's beat them unconscious. :rolleyes:

Super villains don't have henchmen? That they commit crimes just for the enjoyment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQYvcaVOGEo

• Locked thread