Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ultrafilter posted:

Does this come up often?

Depends on whether Tem-Et-Nu is part of the campaign's pantheon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

And yet it mentions no benefits wrt Giff. This is bullshit.

Is it pronounced Jiff or Giff?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dias posted:

Is it pronounced Jiff or Giff?

It's pronounced just like the graphics file format.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I remember playing an evoker with mostly utility and force based evocation spells. It was fun, especially when I got to hurl sky pirates off the deck of an airship with some battering ram spell.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

NGDBSS posted:

So far as I recall it got even worse with:
  • Metamagic shenanigans with Heighten Spell such that you got an effectively free spell level or two.
  • Shadowcraft Mage (only five levels long) also has the capstone feature of Powerful Shadow Magic, which gives +20% to the "realness" of such shadow-typed effects.
  • Shadowcrafter (ten levels long, from Underdark) gives +10% -> +20% to shadow conjurations and evocations, which Shadow Illusion explicitly mimics.
The goofy result was that any targets would potentially be affected more greatly if they succeeded on a saving throw than if they failed, to the tune of perhaps 150% realness at maximum.

Yeah that is where most of the stuff is from. (I am currently playing a Gnome Illusionist who has gotten to Shadowcraft Mage 3 so the fun has begun.)
Dragon Magazine also had another feat that raises the effectiveness of Shadow spells by 20% but many GMS say no to it.

It's also not nearly as cheesy as it sounds. Because to be a good caster the save DC will be fairly high and most bad guys are just going to fail the save. So investing in ways to bump the damage on a failed save isn't going to come up that often.

Plus for the class to be really good, you need to invest 3 feats (Heighten Spell, Earth Sense and Earth Spell) so you can cast 5th level evocation/conjuration spells as 5th level spells not 6th level spells. And for Earth Spell to work you have to be touching the ground or other stone so it won't work if you are flying.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like the terrible ones like Toughness were meant to be factored in by your DM for other things.

The way Monte Cook talks about it makes it sound like a pure "trap" feat, but it has one specific purpose- you're playing a Level 1 Wizard and you want to not die. It really seems to be there just to patch over a problem people had (which is the problem feats have in general- it was never really clear what design space they occupied so they became a catch-all.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A lot of those bizarrely specific feats are meant to be just given out by the DM, like the perks in Alpha Protocol. They're something you can put on your sheet as a trophy for Cool Thing That You Did.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

The way Monte Cook talks about it makes it sound like a pure "trap" feat, but it has one specific purpose- you're playing a Level 1 Wizard and you want to not die. It really seems to be there just to patch over a problem people had (which is the problem feats have in general- it was never really clear what design space they occupied so they became a catch-all.)

Didn't he basically say that he deliberately designed one of the core classes of D&D (the fighter) to basically be a 'trap' class?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Rich seems pretty consistently okay recently.

Fired Giants

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Not Rich's best joke though.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
He gets quite productive in spurts, normally just after a scene shift.

'Windowfolk' gave me a chuckle.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

DoctorTristan posted:

He gets quite productive in spurts, normally just after a scene shift.

'Windowfolk' gave me a chuckle.

All his scene shifts are 2-3 pages, it works out well enough. The really bad breaks happen when he gets violently ill.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

ikanreed posted:

Not Rich's best joke though.
Eh, they can't all be winners.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bell_ posted:

Eh, they can't all be winners.

He's gotta save his best stuff for the PCs.

What sort of numbers are being chucked around here, just for interest? V's doing, what, 15-17d6? What's Hayley's likely per round gross?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Windowfolk to me was a throw away, I was really laughing at the high level vs low level bit

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

sebmojo posted:

He's gotta save his best stuff for the PCs.

What sort of numbers are being chucked around here, just for interest? V's doing, what, 15-17d6? What's Hayley's likely per round gross?

Fireball's capped at 10d6, but the giants are also vulnerable to fire so that's another +50%. So around 50ish damage from that. If we say Haley is 17 then she gets four attacks with rapid shot for another 10d6+5(?).

Which actually isn't enough to take down your average frost giant. Someone call Rich Burlew.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Assuming he's just rolling damage once for all four, maybe he just rolled good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Colonel Cool posted:

Fireball's capped at 10d6, but the giants are also vulnerable to fire so that's another +50%. So around 50ish damage from that. If we say Haley is 17 then she gets four attacks with rapid shot for another 10d6+5(?).

Which actually isn't enough to take down your average frost giant. Someone call Rich Burlew.

According to the SRD, the typical frost giant has around 133 hp. Assuming Haley deals 40 damage on average, that means the fireball needs to deal at least 93 damage. (Or 103 if you want to bother giving random mooks the whole minus health death's door thing.)

If the fireball is empowered, it'll deal 50% more damage. I forgot how D&D3 handle percent stacking, if it's just addition that'll cause a 100% increase combined with the fire vulnerability, if it's factorization it'll result in a 125% increase instead. So we're looking at 70 to 78 damage.
If the fireball is maximized, it'll deal full damage, so 90 when counting vulnerability.
If the fireball is maximized and empowered, we can count on about 116 damage. Well there you go: it's a maximized and empowered fireball.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

If the fireball is maximized and empowered, we can count on about 116 damage. Well there you go: it's a maximized and empowered fireball.

Do casters shout out metamagic when casting spells? I forget!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Colonel Cool posted:

yep

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

They do, however, not shout out anything when they cast "Burlew's Greater Not Spending Too Much Time On This poo poo"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He just rolled all sixes, and so did Haley.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
All the frost giants rolled really badly on their hit dice, problem solved.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Colonel Cool posted:

In OOTS they do. Well, except for Silent Spell, presumably :v:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I think Silent Spell is written as whisper bubble or something. Too lazy to archive crawl though.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Automatic still and automatic silence are some of the most bullshit epic feats.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ikanreed posted:

Automatic still and automatic silence are some of the most bullshit epic feats.

When I was 14 or so I played an online Level 40 game at the WotC play-by-post forums. The character-building phase was a ton of fun for everyone involved. The actual game broke down during the first encounter for some mysterious reason that may or may not have rhymed with 'asthmatic thickened dime slop'.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

NihilCredo posted:

When I was 14 or so I played an online Level 40 game at the WotC play-by-post forums. The character-building phase was a ton of fun for everyone involved. The actual game broke down during the first encounter for some mysterious reason that may or may not have rhymed with 'asthmatic thickened dime slop'.

I didn't know you could autoquicken too. That's some extra special flavor bullshit.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Character building in 3.5 is really fun if you are into optimisation and trying to cheese something to the max.

Actually playing it however? Nowhere near as fun.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What is each edition of D&D good at anyway?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

I didn't know you could autoquicken too. That's some extra special flavor bullshit.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Automatic_Quicken_Spell take it 3 times, up to level 9 spells are AutoQuick. :getin:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Colonel Cool posted:

Oh god what have you done

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
3.5 is really good for making weird optimization puzzles to do things like throw the moon and so on.

As an actual game, well... not so much. Although the Binder is a masterpiece of a class.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Colonel Cool posted:

The one your friends enjoy with you.

The one you can personally best sit around a table and enjoy.

But probably not second edition.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
2nd edition made some amazing video games, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Manuel Calavera posted:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Automatic_Quicken_Spell take it 3 times, up to level 9 spells are AutoQuick. :getin:

Yeah but you'll need to be level 27 to take it the first time, so without counting weird epic prestige classes with bonus feats you'd have to be level 33 to autoquicken level 9 spells.

I don't know about you but if you want to complain that a level 33 character is exceedingly powerful, well...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

ikanreed posted:

THAC0 FOR LIFE!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

VanSandman posted:

2nd edition made some amazing video games, though.

That's because 2nd edition had some amazing settings.

*Know* that it was the writing, not the system.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Yo, Real Time With Pause is trash for the garbage. If someone remade Baldur's Gate/Pillars of Eternity with as a grid based TBS, I would be alllll about it. I can barely get into BG at all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ikanreed posted:

They're all good in their own ways, and bad in their own ways.