Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Drone posted:

At this point I think Grey is just roleplaying the ever-optimistic Japanese press.

I can see it now -- the Japanese army is completely wiped out. Grey's caption, complete with misspelling:

"A rousing victroy for the emporor!"

;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This ship is their favourite target today.

I hope this damage is building up.

We are taking losses here now, but we are still doing damage to the Allies.

A fairly quiet day for once!

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
Soon the British will be retaking Rangoon.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

srusnak102 posted:

Soon the British will be retaking Rangoon.

Not without a glorious battle they won't!

srusnak102
Apr 13, 2015
In the only way the British can make it glorious. Slow and stubborn.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We find and destroy a solitary Allied plane hiding out on an island.

We have a good day here.

And the troops to take the base have arrived!

The British have paid the blood price at Chittagong, and now our forces are collapsing fast. We get a report later that our forces are surrounded.

Our ground losses are mounting now, but at least we are still advancing in other places!

Another random sinking.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Do ships ever get sunk by storms and accidents and such, regular attrition, like planes? I'm guessing they're too glorious for that, even the merchant vessels.

Iirc land forces only get disabled out of combat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RA Rx posted:

Do ships ever get sunk by storms and accidents and such, regular attrition, like planes? I'm guessing they're too glorious for that, even the merchant vessels.

SC Ch 18 Sunk Collision Near Batavia 42/03/21
xAK Daigen Maru Sunk Collision Near Sabang 42/08/17

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

RA Rx posted:

quote:

Whenever a ship is at sea (not docked), it has a chance of suffering system damage due to wear and tear on the ship. This damage can occur as the TF enters each new hex or remains on patrol in a hex, and will immediately affect the TF’s speed for the rest of the turn. Ships moving at maximum speed will suffer greater Operational Damage than ships moving at Cruise Speed. In addition, ships always attempt to repair fire, flooding, and system damage, even when at sea. The chances of incurring System Damage during normal movement (representing normal wear and tear on the ships) five times higher at Full Speed then at Cruise Speed. There is also a very slight chance of major damage due to accident or marine hazard.

System damage is the ability to use ship systems, like guns and radar and poo poo like that. I don't think maxing out system damage will sink your ship (someone correct me if I am wrong) but it basically means it can't do anything but move around.

Ships do pick up minor system damage pretty easy just from ocean travel that you eventually want to dock and repair, so it is kind of a nice way to simulate the need for downtime to scrape barnacles or whatnot.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Ships sometimes explode at anchor and can also gently caress up a bunch of other ships in the port. BB's and Ammo ships are the most prone to this.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Having just recently played through the game, I can state with a fair amount of certainty that 100% system damage will indeed cost you a ship.
Ships will also receive a nasty daily system damage when trying to move without fuel (this can and will sink them once they get 100% system damage even though they have 0% flood damage)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

None of that stuff really models things like perfectly healthy ships running aground, being sunk in severe storms, or simply suffering catastrophic shipboard accidents like fires in the ammo store. Any of those can be immediately fatal, as opposed to some gradual accumulation of damage.

The smaller the ship, the more likely that kind of thing can be fatal, of course, so to be accurate the game should probably give really small ships a slight chance of sinking in severe storms, but not really any chance of battleships from sinking in bad weather, etc.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Leperflesh posted:

None of that stuff really models things like perfectly healthy ships running aground, being sunk in severe storms, or simply suffering catastrophic shipboard accidents like fires in the ammo store. Any of those can be immediately fatal, as opposed to some gradual accumulation of damage.

The smaller the ship, the more likely that kind of thing can be fatal, of course, so to be accurate the game should probably give really small ships a slight chance of sinking in severe storms, but not really any chance of battleships from sinking in bad weather, etc.

Sure, but that's not fun. Imagine if you'd played this for months and then your most important battleship blows itself up because of a randomly generated number. This is a game after all.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

That stuff all happens it's just extremely rare, much more so than irl.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Splode posted:

Sure, but that's not fun. Imagine if you'd played this for months and then your most important battleship blows itself up because of a randomly generated number. This is a game after all.

Aren't they primarily useful for shore bombardment and for losing tons of points because the papers go nuts if one gets sunk?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
There are also still surface fights in areas where both sides can provide some air cover for ships, like in the Solomons, and battleships are still king poo poo at blowing up boats with guns. This starts to go away after the first year or so when the US starts making GBS threads out carriers, but battleships are still nice to have around in 1942/1943. Especially on the US side since their dud torpedoes early on make it harder for them to sink large armored ships.

The caveat for this is that they eat fuel like crazy and are kind of worthless if your supply lines are cut.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 14, 2016

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Splode posted:

Depends on the player. A lot of us would find that hilarious.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The first wave of planes arrives in the South – and of course, the B-17s get in a hit with their laser guided bombs.

I'm still calling BS on this.

Oh yeah! Feel the 60kg's of death!

I trade eight bombers for one hit.

The last troops in Chittagong are destroyed. They honour their country by fighting to the last man.

We kill a couple of bombers.

We hammer this stack again.

So Chittagong was a disaster. I got overconfident and lost a lot of men. I think I can retake Akyab, but at least China is going well again!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The most haunting story of "a rng deciding a ships fate irl" was the liberty ship SS John P. Gaines just breaking in two and sinking without warning. :staredog:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
poo poo, Grey, you're really dedicated to the realistic LP, aren't you? Maybe you could play with Japanese success around the edges somewhere?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

LordPants posted:

The most haunting story of "a rng deciding a ships fate irl" was the liberty ship SS John P. Gaines just breaking in two and sinking without warning. :staredog:

And in the process and aftermath discovering an entirely new branch of material properties :eng101:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Tokyo falls by 44

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Splode posted:

People who play these kinds of games have a very different interpretation of fun than the average gamer.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Tokyo falls by 44

Tokyo falls in 43, government insists Tokyo is off winning the war and doesn't tell citizens until 44.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

TildeATH posted:

Tokyo falls in 43, government insists Tokyo is off winning the war and doesn't tell citizens until 44.

Tokyo Bay Fortress takes pearl in 43. IDTBF

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey Hunter posted:

So Chittagong was a disaster. I got overconfident and lost a lot of men. I think I can retake Akyab, but at least China is going well again!

Edited for patriotic accuracy!

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

IJN command would like to issue the following statement on Chittagong:

"haha fuckers got owned lol"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

More level bombers are sent after our carriers.

Most turn back as soon as they see our CAP.

Those that don't get gunned down in large numbers.

We of course, waste our planes on attacking Patrol Boats, not the actual ships in the water NEAR OUR OWN TASK FORCE!

Okay, Okay, but what about the OTHER task force?

You're just showing me up now, aren't you.

Point made, It was still a waste of planes though.

We deal with that hurricane base.

We took a good toll of Allied planes and ships today – but our own plane losses were higher than I would have liked.

That looks good for once.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

THIS DATE IN HISTORY

The US Navy has a bad day when Japanese submarine I-19's skipper fires the world's greatest torpedo salvo. For more we turn to Wikipedia:

"Loss of USS [i posted:

Wasp[/i]"]
A spread of six Type 95 torpedoes were fired at [aircraft carrier] Wasp at about 14:44 from the tubes of the B1 Type submarine I-19. Wasp put over her rudder hard to starboard to avoid the salvo, but it was too late. Three torpedoes struck in quick succession about 14:45; one actually broached, left the water, and struck the ship slightly above the waterline. All hit in the vicinity of the ship's gasoline tanks and magazines. Two of the spread of torpedoes passed ahead of Wasp and were observed passing astern of [light cruiser] Helena before [destroyer] O'Brien was hit by one at 14:51 while maneuvering to avoid the other. The sixth torpedo passed either astern or under Wasp, narrowly missed [destroyer] Lansdowne in Wasp's screen about 14:48, was seen by [destroyer] Mustin in [battleship] North Carolina's screen about 14:50, and struck North Carolina about 14:52.

Wasp was scuttled at 2100. O'Brien successfully reached Noumea but was lost 19 October 1942 attempting the passage to Pearl Harbor. North Carolina was out of action at Pearl for a month.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I need to revisit my ASW patrols.

B-17's continue to raid bombs on our ships. There should be some fighters up and running now, I'll have to check on this.

At least we can work out they are coming from New Caledonia.

There is not much we can do at the moment to reply to those bombers. Although stopping my own bomber going north of Cox's Bazaar has helped reduce losses.

How Grey lost the war.jpg

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What is the current state of your merchant marine, and what was it when the game started?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

What is the current state of your merchant marine, and what was it when the game started?

Sunk, and floating, respectively.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The number of bombers is increasing.

I hate this.

The returning carriers cause some damage.

Insert obvious wizard joke here.

Those warhawks are deadly. And this is a taste of things to come.

We take out another Empress “class” liner

We should just avoid enemy fighters.

More ship losses, but at least there were some kills today!

We even come out ahead in points!

Hankow restarts tomorrow, so a I spend a load of Political points matching the divisions there to the army HQ. Lets see if that helps! I even remember to change to 11th Army commander from a 43 skill guy to a 73 skill guy!

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Grey as an experienced allied player you should have known both Aykab and Cox Bazaar are close to the India that you need a decent garrison at both to help supply chittanchong.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Do the old thread still exist? I know about the version on lparchives, but it doesn't include all the comments that the thread contains. I have archives if it matters.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dunno-Lars posted:

Do the old thread still exist? I know about the version on lparchives, but it doesn't include all the comments that the thread contains. I have archives if it matters.

Sure it does.

There's always a link in the header of an archived LP that leads to the SA thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238049

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hey, that's almost acceptable.

We rain bombs around these ships, and get no hits.

After a stern talking to, the afternoon raid is more efficient.

This is the other island I'm using as an airbase, but they thankfully go for the runway and not the shipping today!

After a long break, the bloodbath at Hankow begins again – they are low on supplies and experience, so I just need to keep hitting them until they break.

So more death is incoming, but at least there is some action in China now!

Glug glug glug.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How did you suffer so many losses while out-AVing them almost 3-1 even in the adjusted result at Hankow?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Night10194 posted:

How did you suffer so many losses while out-AVing them almost 3-1 even in the adjusted result at Hankow?

:greyhunter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Well, it's x2.36 and defensive terrain (but also poor supply and experience for the defender).
Season with bad luck.

Does attacking with x3 power differential apply to adjusted values?