Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Thwomp posted:

That's incorrect. The remote has accelerometers. What it lacks is pointer recognition.

That said, I think there are one or two games that are Wii Sports like but that's it.

Wait, really? You'd think with two accelerometers half the UI navigation would be flicking, turning and shaking. Glad they showed some restraint. I don't think I've ever been in a scenario where they would have been required though, but I don't really play games on my ATV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Is there a trick to getting HomeKit to work with Apple TV?

I'.ve logged in and out several times and restarted it as well. Should I just keep trying until it takes?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I Am Crake posted:

Wait, really? You'd think with two accelerometers half the UI navigation would be flicking, turning and shaking. Glad they showed some restraint. I don't think I've ever been in a scenario where they would have been required though, but I don't really play games on my ATV.

The only app I have that uses a flicking/shaking motion is Channels which uses it to mute the volume.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So there's a Twitter client for Apple TV now... and unless I'm missing something super obvious, one of the things it doesn't have is the ability to read your own feed?! Whose genius idea was that?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

So there's a Twitter client for Apple TV now... and unless I'm missing something super obvious, one of the things it doesn't have is the ability to read your own feed?! Whose genius idea was that?

The periscope app is the same way.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Vince MechMahon posted:

The periscope app is the same way.

The periscope app is garbage until they let you comment on the videos. In an os that has pretty good voice dictation, I can't figure out why they don't have this.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's too bad stuff like this is so clumsily implemented. A decent web browser and a few good apps like that could turn the Apple TV into a fantastic budget desktop for grandparents/low income families/etc. Probably something Apple wants to avoid unfortunately.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

BGrifter posted:

It's too bad stuff like this is so clumsily implemented. A decent web browser and a few good apps like that could turn the Apple TV into a fantastic budget desktop for grandparents/low income families/etc. Probably something Apple wants to avoid unfortunately.

Tv web browsers have been tried and are universally bad hth

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uninterrupted posted:

Tv web browsers have been tried and are universally bad hth

That word filter is gold

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm going to use it to watch NFL and that's about it. Sounds like it's designed terribly, but moreover I can't think of a medium I'd enjoy less on a TV than twitter.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not hating the Twitter/NFL stream thing, but most of the tweets going by at the moment are about the stream itself. Hopefully it'll get more interesting as the game goes on.

The main issue is that even on a 65" screen, the game window itself isn't huge. Also as an OLED person it kills me the background is grey and not black, but that's not going to affect everyone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Why did I somehow think that I'd be able to watch TNF on Twitter in Canada?

It's like I forgot every single instance of Canadians getting hosed by broadcast rights over the past X years.

On the other hand, I just signed into the SportsNet app with my parents' cable account and I'm watching MNF anyway so whatever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that's crappy, I saw one of the tweets going by say that it's working in the UK. I think Sky have broadcast rights for TNF but not for online as Gamepass UK has it normally.

Ah the joy of international rights confusion!

Wonder how many people are moderating the stream that comes on, and what criteria they're choosing. Or possibly automated based on... things?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok looks like there might be a flaw in the fact they're running tweets about stuff that's happening before the feed catches up (it's a few plays behind). People talking about a fg before it happened on screen.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That word filter is gold
What did it filter out?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Akuma posted:

What did it filter out?

Quote a post and you'll see what was actually typed in the input/editing box(or whatever the box where you type your post is called).

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Just got an Apple TV today, seems pretty nice so far!

I know that the app shop for this thing is pretty sparse, but are there any hidden gems in there?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I know that the app shop for this thing is pretty sparse, but are there any hidden gems in there?

Honestly, I would just say AirPlay itself. Beyond streaming video of any non app from your iPhone or iPad (like Amazon), it works well for certain games or board games. I don't use it often, but it was nice to play Forbidden Island and just pass the iPad around.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Entirely depends on what you want out of your AppleTV. I really just wanted it to play media so for me the big hitters are:

Plex, Netflix, YouTube, TED

I'm in Canada and I like my sports, so NHL, MLB, and SportsNet (though SportsNet is such a dud)

For news I like Reuters

For general "background noise" I like either YouTube, UnTwitched (unofficial twitch), or NHK.

I honestly don't think I use much else. I have consoles and a PC so I look to them for gaming. The only thing I would really look to play on the ATV would be social games where everyone uses their own device to play. Regardless of how good people may think the controller is, I have a deep dislike for it so I can't imagine playing any games with that in my hand. Doesn't bother me enough to actually switch to an ATV3 controller (plus I like the built in volume control and Siri is good for YouTube searches).

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 21, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I tend to like Infuse over Plex.

Channels if you have an HD HomeRun on your network.

ESPN and all the other sports channels. Really, just about any TV channel you would want on demand access to.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I keep meaning to try infuse but I'm just so comfortably set with Plex across my iPad, AppleTV, and Macs that I haven't really put much effort into changing.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Infuse Just Works™. It's the best thing I've put on my Apple TV. Since I don't stream to outside of my house, I have no use for Plex.

I do have VLC for oddball videos that Infuse won't play, but those are so few and far between that I rarely load it.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I've noticed an annoying bug since the latest update on the Appletv 4 - everyday I'm being promoted for my iTunes password when I wake up. It's not saying invalid password or attempting to purchase anything and it accepts the password but it seems odd that I should have to type it everyday.

Along those lines, how often do most people have to authenticate with the various cable apps (ie: AMC, SyFy, or Science Channel)? Some are more frequent than others but it seems like I'm having to authenticate every week or so.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

duffmensch posted:

Along those lines, how often do most people have to authenticate with the various cable apps (ie: AMC, SyFy, or Science Channel)? Some are more frequent than others but it seems like I'm having to authenticate every week or so.

Did you share your login with others?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of that, I just found out that all the Viacom channels don't have xfinity listed as one of the partners so there's like 10 channels I can't auth. What an utter pain.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did you share your login with others?

I use my family account for some apps (xfinity), but ones that I don't share (non-xfinity) do the same thing as well.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
FYI - the recently updated tab is back in the App Store.

The Range
Sep 20, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
alrighty

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 24, 2016

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
wat

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That has popped up in other threads it seems.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's Dare. Killing GBS has meant he's leaked all over the forums I guess. Mentally ill dude who either has too much money, or is scamming registrations and has made 100+ accounts over the last few months just to spam his brainspill.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If he's helping to keep these dead gay forums alive then I guess reading some spam every once in a while is a small price to pay.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I am the thread named "rectum."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I must have missed that particular app on the app store.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I want to use Home(kit) automation with my Hue lights and such. In order to schedule anything, my ATV4 needs to be involved. I have 2FA set up. Supposedly in My Apple TV's settings under icloud should now have an entry for HomeKit but I don't see it...

Anyone know what's up??

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

I want to use Home(kit) automation with my Hue lights and such. In order to schedule anything, my ATV4 needs to be involved. I have 2FA set up. Supposedly in My Apple TV's settings under icloud should now have an entry for HomeKit but I don't see it...

Anyone know what's up??

I never got that to come up on the TV. But after setting up 2fa it just worked out fine. You may need to toggle the Home option in the icloud settings on another device just in case

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A first reboot did nothing but a second one worked. :)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm beginning to think a SlingPlayer app might not even be coming at all. :sigh:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm very disappointed at how non-working the automation-via-Apple TV as a hub is.

Lots of people complaining about it. The proposed "fixes" haven't really worked out. I can set up scheduled automations, but they don't actually engage when the time is right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

I'm very disappointed at how non-working the automation-via-Apple TV as a hub is.

Lots of people complaining about it. The proposed "fixes" haven't really worked out. I can set up scheduled automations, but they don't actually engage when the time is right...

Can you give some examples? For instance my Hue lights (the porch one anyways) turn on at Sunset and off at Sunrise like clockwork.