Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have used it on a 6S running iOS 10 gold master candidate with no crashes so far. Watch it crash now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Abjad Soup posted:

(Also I still want threads to open to the correctly-scrolled place when the app reopens after being evicted from memory!)

Me too! That was so helpful, I hope it comes back.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So this is really minor but it would be nice if the "Cancel" button to the top and left of me right now didn't say Cancel but instead said something like "Back" since its not really a cancel button. For the longest time I didn't know I could hit that button mid post in order to grab another quote or re-read a post before posting cause I always thought it would cancel and delete my entry.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Love the app, not reading the thread to see if this was answered, but would there ever be a way to search using the app, and for a way to have links like in discord open this app rather than safari?

Thanks

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Most links still don't open in a web view on iOS 10 GM

I assume this has been addressed but :quig:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tusen Takk posted:

I assume this has been addressed but :quig:
Maybe you could provide some examples

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A link to the forums on discord

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Patiently waiting for the Awful iMessage app.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The gif keyboard looks squished in iOS 10.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I think you're holding it wrong

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

anthonypants posted:

I think you're holding it wrong

Lol at the "it works for me" post exhibiting a different bug

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

serebralassazin posted:

The gif keyboard looks squished in iOS 10.

I'm getting this also. 6+, just updated to 10.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I am not getting that error on a 6s+

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Regular Nintendo posted:

Unfortunately it's never not done that duplication for me :shrug:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Maybe you could provide some examples

It doesn't seem to load the URL into the web view or whatever you call it

6S Plus 10.0.1

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tusen Takk posted:

It doesn't seem to load the URL into the web view or whatever you call it

6S Plus 10.0.1
You couldn't have linked to the post instead?

e: works for me in either the Awful or Safari browsers, 6s 10.0.1

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 13, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ah I found the problem, I had my browser set to awful instead of safari

Guess that works for me!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've seen that weird SFSafariViewController bug once, but trying the same link again, it went away. There's a possibility it's actually an intermittent in Apple's code, they own literally everything you see in the "Awful" browser.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

so yeah, the smilies selection keeps multiplying each one. I'm up to 5 repeats for each smilie.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
[video type="youtube"]/shared?ci=7sTH0-j9Zeg[/video]

E: weird. Has the ability to paste links in the video menu gone? I'm not seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=7sTH0-j9Zeg

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's next on my radar.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
goonspeed sir. I need to be able to stick :negative: onto my messages pronto

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Tusen Takk posted:

I've been getting this since updating to iOS 10 also. I'm on a 6 Plus, using the "open in Awful's browser" option. Down for everyone and I should switch over to Safari until it's fixed, or just an issue for me?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Page 616 of the amber bitcoin thread refused to load normally. When I dragged for next page or hit the "next page" arrow from page 615, or hit "previous page" arrow from page 617, it failed to load and put up an "Archives Required" error dialog:

(Note that the page number in that shot is lying! Also I do have Archives.)

I was eventually able to load the page by going to page 617 and tapping a quote link back to the problematic page 616. I can now load 616 mostly normally except that it pops up the same "Archives Required" error each time I do.

E: now that I've left that thread, the "Archives Required" error is gone when I reopen it. Thanks for the super speedy resolution! 😊

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 18, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I propose that this error message be revised to be more clear about what the problem actually is.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The site has been getting DDoSed all day, so I would imagine that creates a bevy of errors.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Abjad Soup posted:

Page 616 of the amber bitcoin thread refused to load normally. When I dragged for next page or hit the "next page" arrow from page 615, or hit "previous page" arrow from page 617, it failed to load and put up an "Archives Required" error dialog:

I was eventually able to load the page by going to page 617 and tapping a quote link back to the problematic page 616. I can now load 616 mostly normally except that it pops up the same "Archives Required" error each time I do.

E: now that I've left that thread, the "Archives Required" error is gone when I reopen it. Thanks for the super speedy resolution! 😊

That error occurs when the forums are down or unreachable for whatever reason.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Interesting cosmetic quirk:

With tap to play gifs turned on, there are so many placeholders in this post that they overflow the bounds of the post area and make it so you can drag the whole thread of posts left and right

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771497&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=226#post464190151

ios 9.latest, iphone 6, latest Awful

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is it possible to filter out the six hour probations in the leper tab at some point? It can be entertaining to browse but the six hour probations have no value.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Any way we could view saclopedia entries in the app? (In the future)

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 18, 2016

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Iron Prince posted:

anyone else have an issue on the app when trying to view your own profile? not that it matters, but my own profile loads up as a blank page. It's for the best, probably

E: iPhone 6s

That sounds vaguely familiar but I don't have it on my list, so now it's on my list!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

App is crashing a lot for me since the latest update. I'm on iOS 10.0.1, 6s+

And it's just gonna get worse next version! Yay!

Snowy posted:

Me too! That was so helpful, I hope it comes back.

It will. Someday. It's so annoying to test.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So this is really minor but it would be nice if the "Cancel" button to the top and left of me right now didn't say Cancel but instead said something like "Back" since its not really a cancel button. For the longest time I didn't know I could hit that button mid post in order to grab another quote or re-read a post before posting cause I always thought it would cancel and delete my entry.

I think you're underselling it, this is one of the biggest UX disaster areas in the app. Agreed 100% it sucks, and it's on the list.

Black Baby Goku posted:

Love the app, not reading the thread to see if this was answered, but would there ever be a way to search using the app, and for a way to have links like in discord open this app rather than safari?

Thanks

Search is on the list. Handling forums.somethingawful.com links is also on the list! Now both +1'd.

Regular Nintendo posted:

I think we have a winner in the Awful Tagline contest.

glassyalabolas posted:

so yeah, the smilies selection keeps multiplying each one. I'm up to 5 repeats for each smilie.

The extra 4 mean quality!

IllegallySober posted:

I've been getting this since updating to iOS 10 also. I'm on a 6 Plus, using the "open in Awful's browser" option. Down for everyone and I should switch over to Safari until it's fixed, or just an issue for me?

I've been having no troubles on iOS 10.0.1, so I'm not sure what to do about it. :( Sorry! I'll keep looking.

Abjad Soup posted:

Probably a CloudFlare error page, which Awful helpfully detects as "archives required", as others have mentioned. It's on the list!

the yeti posted:

Interesting cosmetic quirk:

With tap to play gifs turned on, there are so many placeholders in this post that they overflow the bounds of the post area and make it so you can drag the whole thread of posts left and right

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771497&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=226#post464190151

ios 9.latest, iphone 6, latest Awful

Oh man, it's been ages since the last horizontal scrolling bug. Good find, thanks!

Met posted:

Is it possible to filter out the six hour probations in the leper tab at some point? It can be entertaining to browse but the six hour probations have no value.

Not at the moment but I can add it to the list!

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Any way we could view saclopedia entries in the app? (In the future)

I'd like that too. On the list you go!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Also whoever's responsible for our current app icon, or if someone wants to be responsible for the sticker pack icons, I will almost certainly need some new icon sizes in the near future. Stay frosty!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
☃️

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

pokeyman posted:

Not at the moment but I can add it to the list!

Cool, thanks. :niggly:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

I've been having no troubles on iOS 10.0.1, so I'm not sure what to do about it. :( Sorry! I'll keep looking.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and that seems to have helped. :)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pokeyman posted:

I think we have a winner in the Awful Tagline contest.

Hey I'm a contributor

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is it intentional that when you're viewing a page using the Awful browser and you tap the Safari icon to open it there instead, it doesn't add the "Back to Awful" thingy in the top left? Usually I dump pages in Safari for later viewing if it looks too long or it's a video of something, but I immediately want to go back to what I was doing in Awful.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

david_a posted:

Is it intentional that when you're viewing a page using the Awful browser and you tap the Safari icon to open it there instead, it doesn't add the "Back to Awful" thingy in the top left? Usually I dump pages in Safari for later viewing if it looks too long or it's a video of something, but I immediately want to go back to what I was doing in Awful.

Thats weird, I get the "back to awful" button

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The back to app button can be buggy but I think that's on apples end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I mentioned it recently but I'll clarify. Awful Browser used to be something pokeyman wrote the code for, but now it uses Safari View Controller which is basically you asking the OS to inject a Safari instance into your view. So absolutely everything you see once you tap the link and see the transition is Apple-created code.

• Locked thread