Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Yeah that huge 0 day exploit that they patched within 4 days?

Pretty sure it's been in iOS for a while. Im firmly in the iOS side of the great phone wars but let's not pretend it's completely secure.

Hell I remember an iOS jailbreak that was done through a website back when I did that awful poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was just poking fun at the "lol apple finally caught up to google" comment. Both platforms lag on improvements in major yet completely different ways.

Put the two together and we might have a quality phone OS someday!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

I was just poking fun at the "lol apple finally caught up to google" comment.
Which was meant to be in jest anyway, jeez.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I can draw dicks and send them to my friends I'm pretty much sold on Apple now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Have you heard of snapchat my friend

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Have you heard of snapchat my friend

Yeah but thats for real dicks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh so the latest Facebook messenger update has message previews tucked away within its own settings.

(Inside Messenger) Me->Notifs-> Previews

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Vode posted:

I got a September 16th delivery date when I preordered last week but still not received a shipped email. I'm starting to get worried it won't be here :ohdear:

Welcome to Apple iPhone shipping. You'll receive and read your tracking number... on your new iPhone.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Vode posted:

I got a September 16th delivery date when I preordered last week but still not received a shipped email. I'm starting to get worried it won't be here :ohdear:

If you ordered from Apple and not your carrier, you can try tracking on UPS by reference number. Try your phone number, the device's phone number, your Apple order number or your Apple order number minus the last 2 digits. My order status is still "Preparing for shipment" meanwhile UPS tracking shows it having made significant progress.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

tuyop posted:

Does it sync back to iTunes and your smart playlists?

Yes, cause the stars are still there. Smart playlists aren't broken, they just removed the ability to view and modify.

Like 🤔"I don't enjoy this song, I will rate it 1 and keep it on my device instead of removing it"

That's why I'll rate something 1! So my smart playlists know to remove it and not sync it. :)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

keevo posted:

Anyone having an issue playing music from their phone to their car? My car (Honda Civic 2016) won't play anything from my phone. The car will recognize something is plugged in via USB but it can't tell what it is and won't play anything. My phone won't even connect to my car via Bluetooth.

I just tried with our 2016 Odyssey (lol kids) and it worked fine over USB with the basic Honda USB crap.

I can't figure out how to shuffle music though, apparently time to google some poo poo. :(

Edit: OH GOD, they moved shuffle to the loving up next section

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 15, 2016

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I have a bunch of 6/6s cases that I won't need anymore. Was wondering if there was any interest, if so I will post a sale thread. I have an Apple hump case, a Mophine Juice Pack 120, a black Apple leather case, a red Apple leather case, a black Lifeproof and some other random ones.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I have a bunch of 6/6s cases that I won't need anymore. Was wondering if there was any interest, if so I will post a sale thread. I have an Apple hump case, a Mophine Juice Pack 120, a black Apple leather case, a red Apple leather case, a black Lifeproof and some other random ones.

Hit me with that apple hump.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

LmaoTheKid posted:

Considering 9.3.5 patched a humongous security hole that could own your iPhone through a website, that's not really a thing you can say.

Don't compare a 0-day that was kept secret for nation-state level espionage to "code every 15 year old can grab on github" as it's a really silly comparison.
Something like 75% of all android devices* have unpatched root-level exploits where the attack vector is 'receive an MMS'.

Apple are ridiculous when it comes to releasing parity-features years late and calling them something different and claiming it's unique, but the quality of their OS from a security standpoint is very high.

* - I don't remember specifically which vulns are in which releases, but it's exceedingly common for most providers to lag months behind Google releasing fixes for (and ergo documenting) exploits. Android updates are a garbage fire. Over 50% use pre-2013 versions of android

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Has Android had photo search as an exclusive thing? It seems like it's been a part of G+ then Google Photos, both of which have been available on iOS. I don't think Android's Gallery app was able to do that. It certainly never did it on-device.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Has Android had photo search as an exclusive thing? It seems like it's been a part of G+ then Google Photos, both of which have been available on iOS. I don't think Android's Gallery app was able to do that. It certainly never did it on-device.
Yeah it's been part of Google Photos (available on iOS) for ages. I'm sorry my flippant post about a cool feature that Apple adopted started an Android derail. :rolleye:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The music UI still continues to find new ways to annoy me. I wouldn't have thought to swipe up on the now playing screen to get to the repeat controls. I thought that just brought up command centre but apparently it depends on where you swipe up from and how much you swipe up or something.

Help, Stebe

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

Yeah it's been part of Google Photos (available on iOS) for ages. I'm sorry my flippant post about a cool feature that Apple adopted started an Android derail. :rolleye:

Oh I know you were just joking around, I was mostly just curious.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Pretty sure it's been in iOS for a while. Im firmly in the iOS side of the great phone wars but let's not pretend it's completely secure.

Hell I remember an iOS jailbreak that was done through a website back when I did that awful poo poo.

That's literally the first iPhone OS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there a reason why some things won't auto capitalize anymore after I put down periods on iOS 10? It's still enabled for me and it seems to happen randomly.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

LODGE NORTH posted:

No there was another jailbreak that you could do through safari on the phone I think around iOS 5 or 6

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Hit me with that apple hump.

You don't seem to have PMs. Got an email I can send pics to?

Tiny Man Thinking Big
Apr 24, 2005

Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding.

Economic Sinkhole posted:

If you ordered from Apple and not your carrier, you can try tracking on UPS by reference number. Try your phone number, the device's phone number, your Apple order number or your Apple order number minus the last 2 digits. My order status is still "Preparing for shipment" meanwhile UPS tracking shows it having made significant progress.

Thanks. This worked for me and it's showing its on time for delivery. Last location was in Kentucky on the 13th. :dance:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Vode posted:

Thanks. This worked for me and it's showing its on time for delivery. Last location was in Kentucky on the 13th. :dance:

Which one

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Haha mine is still Processing hahaha

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

I got in around the 3GS and there was a web based JB then. So whatever iOS that was.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yo goons, whats the current hotness with 7+ cases? Apple leather looks nice, but looks inadequate when it comes to parking-lot phone drops.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Avocados posted:

Yo goons, whats the current hotness with 7+ cases? Apple leather looks nice, but looks inadequate when it comes to parking-lot phone drops.

That's some Spigen ones available.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Avocados posted:

It's not it's held up quite well for me the last year.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Personally it's apple leather case or bust for me.

I agree that they aren't durable... if you drop your phone it will mess up the leather. I've ruined no fewer than THREE leather cases over the 2 year life of my 6+ (soon to be 7+). However, they're so sexy that I don't give a poo poo.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Patinad, scratched, dinged leather looks good.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

LmaoTheKid posted:

Patinad, scratched, dinged leather looks good.

Ehhh not in my experience with these cases specifically. If the leather case lands on a side, it will actually gouge out a hole in the leather. It doesn't look good. I'm all for patina, I have a chromexcel wallet with a fantastic patina, but this is not the good kind of wear usually.

It's still the best case of course, just sayin'

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Taima posted:

Ehhh not in my experience with these cases specifically. If the leather case lands on a side, it will actually gouge out a hole in the leather.

Sounds like poo poo bonded leather

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I got the 7+ leather case and it looks to be the same quality as the one for my 5s which has held up since 2013.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Who actually drops their phone anyway

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BonoMan posted:

Sounds like poo poo bonded leather

It's not bonded leather, but it's not very high quality, either. The price point is reflective of Apple's typical markup and not an indication of quality. All in all it's a nice case, but I have an issue with mine (I've owned three since the 6) where they all develop these gross pimples in heavy contact areas. Doesn't happen to everyone, though, but it keeps me from ever buying another one. I've since switched to the Apple silicone variant but that's not going to survive any big concrete drops either.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Why do you download music you don't like?

A bit of a silly argument.

I have music I like and could listen to over and over. I rate it 5*.
I have music I like. I rate it 4*.
I have music I wouldn't mind hearing once in a while. I rate it 3*.

Through the magic of smart playlists, I can easily listen to music and hear the songs that I like more often, and also have the ability to easily promote/demote songs as the tides of fancy change.

I'll admit that I don't really use 1* and 2* for any useful purpose. But even so, why delete one song out of an album just to save 4MB of disk space?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

enojy posted:

It's not bonded leather, but it's not very high quality, either. The price point is reflective of Apple's typical markup and not an indication of quality. All in all it's a nice case, but I have an issue with mine (I've owned three since the 6) where they all develop these gross pimples in heavy contact areas. Doesn't happen to everyone, though, but it keeps me from ever buying another one. I've since switched to the Apple silicone variant but that's not going to survive any big concrete drops either.

Apple replaces these within their 1 year free warranty. I complained about this when I got my 6S case and the dude just gave me a new one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

Neat to see Apple catching up to Google of 5 years ago with respect to image cataloging. I can now search for something like "cat" in my Photos library and everything with a cat in it shows up.

You've only had a cat for like six months just manually scroll through that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Pivo posted:

You can turn it off for Messages.app, but I haven't found a way to turn it off for Messenger (Facebook). I suppose I could turn off the notifications entirely for it... I think there's a new API they'll have to use and update their app, otherwise you'll have to turn off notifications on the lock screen or 'banner' notifications or whatever they're called. I don't know about other apps since I only use Messages and Messenger for chatting, but yeah, that's kind of annoying.

Personally I'm leaving it on since I'm not hiding anything, and if coworkers walk by my desk and read dirty messages on my phone I sometimes leave on my desk - that's on them! But I would appreciate that they "get on that poo poo" and make it an option, since I really don't want private communications to be visible to anyone especially if I lose my phone. Or if I were a drug dealer or something and my phone was in police custody lol. Which I'm not, on both counts, but I mean, considering how Apple takes such a hard stance on privacy, this seems like an oversight, but it also seems like one facilitated by the app developers who didn't integrate properly with the new APIs?

I guess we'll see how it plays out. I imagine it'll be fixed... rapidly. Heh.

You can turn off the previews in the facebook messenger app itself. It's somewhere in settings. Same thing with whatsapp btw.