Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Terper posted:

Then why not use a weapon with fast animations??

Dual swords all day every day. You're doing flips and poo poo while sprinting up to monsters while looking on fire and dicing monsters nonstop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Why is it a bad I idea? It seemed to work fine for me in God Eater, Toukiden and a bunch of other MH style games I've played.
Most hunting action games have way less strenuous locational damage. For it to work in MH you'd have to be able to lock onto specific body parts like it was Tie Fighter or something. Sometimes you need to attack certain areas because your weapon isn't sharp enough to pierce their armor elsewhere, or because certain parts are more vulnerable to the kind of damage your weapon does, or just because you need specific breaks/cuts to get a certain drop. So just locking on to the center of mass and attacking whatever happens to be between you and that point is not something that would work well within the constraints of monhun. Like to make a Dark Souls comparison, if you were trying to cut a tail (when they still had cuttable tails in those games), you'd probably unlock the camera because its hard to hit a specific target while the camera is swinging all over the place.

Its just something that you might think you need at first, but pretty quickly realize its not something that would be particularly useful. The soft lock was a good addition as a "where the heck did the monster go?" button, but once its on screen it doesn't really matter what part of the monster you're looking at so long as you can get your hits in and get a good read.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

glassyalabolas posted:

DQ VII is on track for early delivery tomorrow. :dance:

Hoping we get the same here in the UK...

EDIT:
Oh yes!

Your Amazon.co.uk order of "Dragon Quest VII: Fragments..." has been dispatched

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 15, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

FireMrshlBill posted:

And some of the smaller indie games you buy (or get from PS+) on the PS4, you get the Vita and PS3 versions included. Not all, but a decent amount. Like Shovel Knight, you buy on the PS4 and you got the Vita and PS3 downloads. Not the case for the WiiU and 3DS versions. I think some of that may be development costs, but definitely Nintendo policy as well.

Oh well, won't matter with the NX
There's no policy against Cross-Buy, Nintendo allowed it for a couple of their own games (Mario/DK: Tipping Stars for one). It's just poorly implemented, or limited by how Nintendo Network itself works, that apparently it's a pain for devs to do and ultimately not worth it. I think there is no automatic way of doing it, and that you have to basically just give a download code for the other platform when it's purchased. I think because of that, Devs were worried about people selling or giving away the codes, and losing sales as a result. I forget which ones, but there have been at least one or two Indie games which had cross-buy between WiiU and 3DS.

Yeah it probably won't matter with the NX although we still don't really know what the NX is. :v:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

lmao have you ever liked a game??

yes, lots of games. too many really, i'm currently trying to play spirit of justice, deus ex: mankind divided and #FE. i really tried to like monster hunter, a friend recommended it to me and i paid full price for the wii u version of monster hunter 3. i kept on consulting them and pushing through things, wondering when the game would actually hook me and it just never happened. i guess i'm pretty bitter about it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

yes, lots of games. too many really, i'm currently trying to play spirit of justice, deus ex: mankind divided and #FE. i really tried to like monster hunter, a friend recommended it to me and i paid full price for the wii u version of monster hunter 3. i kept on consulting them and pushing through things, wondering when the game would actually hook me and it just never happened. i guess i'm pretty bitter about it

MH4u and Generations get you into fighting cool monsters way faster. MH3 was pretty bad about making you hunt jaggi and collecting honey for a while before doing anything interesting.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Monster Hunter is good.
3D Picross 2 is good.
Dragon Quest VII is good.
Xenoblade is good.
Spirit of Justice is good.

The video games, they are all good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm only on Case 2 of Spirit of Justice, and DQ7 is out tomorrow. I might pick up Bioshock Collection also.

And 3D Picross 2, SMT4A and Rhythm Paradise still aren't out yet, and I'll probably only finish Spirit of Justice before any of them come out.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Andrast posted:

MH4u and Generations get you into fighting cool monsters way faster. MH3 was pretty bad about making you hunt jaggi and collecting honey for a while before doing anything interesting.

Yeah, seconding this. I remember initially trying to get into the series with Tri and giving up before I even got to the Great Jaggi because of all the drat gathering quests.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you don't like playing monster hunter, maybe you'll enjoy the movie being made by hollywood

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There were two gathering key quests before great jaggi in tri. There are two gathering key quests before great maccao in generations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only required gathering quests are at the beginning and they're only there to demonstrate that you can make items with stuff you find out in the field. Gathering is pretty moot once you have access to the Wycoon regardless.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I got these little cloths to clean my glasses with something on them that really seems to have taken care of sisters and specs of dirt that just want coming out before. Anyone know if these things are safe OK 3ds screens?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tempura Wizard posted:

Monster Hunter is good.
3D Picross 2 is good.
Dragon Quest VII is good.
Xenoblade is good.
Spirit of Justice is good.

The video games, they are all good.

Spirit of Justice is amazing. I laughed like an idiot through most of the first case :allears:. How can you not love a Death-metal headbanging head priest?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I ended up getting Xenoblade - purchased it through the Nintendo store and holy poo poo that download was long .

I still have to beat Dragon Quest V, but I've got a three hour plane ride ahead of me so I'm sure I can get pretty far. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

greatn posted:

I got these little cloths to clean my glasses with something on them that really seems to have taken care of sisters and specs of dirt that just want coming out before. Anyone know if these things are safe OK 3ds screens?

I use them on my phone screen fine so I don't see why not

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Opinion time: Ocarina of Time, or A Link Between Worlds? I've got 20 to spare, and I wanna grab of of the Nintendo Select Zelda games.

I have literally never played a Zelda game before.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

As someone who prefers 2D Zelda to 3D Zelda because I find them faster and easier to play, I'd go up to bat for Link Between Worlds.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'd recommend Link Between Worlds since while OoT 3D does benefit a lot from the little improvements over the original version, LBW lets you tackle dungeons in whatever order you want after a certain point and it's great

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Attestant posted:

Ocarina of Time IMHO

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fry's still has Link Between Worlds on sale for $10, and that can be price matched at Best Buy with free 2-day shipping.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, Link Between Worlds would be my choice. OoT 3D is a great game (a lot better than the N64 original at least) but it still shows its age in some ways. Both games are good ideas if you want a starter course in a good 2D Zelda and a good 3D Zelda though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

Ocarina of Time IMHO

It really didn't age well. LBW is one of the best games this generation and is a strong contender for best Zelda.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, go for Link Between Worlds.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nephzinho posted:

It really didn't age well. LBW is one of the best games this generation and is a strong contender for best Zelda.

.... eh, I personally feel its one of the weaker Zelda titles that trades far too heavily on Link to the Past nostalgia.

Its still a good game, but I'd put almost every game in the series above it. Except Zelda 1, 2 and Phantom Hourglass.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

scrounge up another 20 and get majoras mask

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spend slightly less and get A Link to the Past (if you have a New)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zore posted:

.... eh, I personally feel its one of the weaker Zelda titles that trades far too heavily on Link to the Past nostalgia.

Its still a good game, but I'd put almost every game in the series above it. Except Zelda 1, 2 and Phantom Hourglass.

Really? LttP is pretty much my favorite game of all time, and I felt like they had a few cute nods but managed to make a very distinct game despite being a "sequel". Was there anything inparticular you felt was too much?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Attestant posted:

Opinion time: Ocarina of Time, or A Link Between Worlds? I've got 20 to spare, and I wanna grab of of the Nintendo Select Zelda games.

Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda back in the day. It's a fine introduction to the series.

Link Between Worlds is phenomenal, of course, but you should really play Link to the Past first.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda back in the day. It's a fine introduction to the series.

Link Between Worlds is phenomenal, of course, but you should really play Link to the Past first.

:yeah:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Fry's still has Link Between Worlds on sale for $10, and that can be price matched at Best Buy with free 2-day shipping.

Did you do this online or do I have to call BB?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Beastie posted:

Did you do this online or do I have to call BB?

I called them. There was an automated message saying I would need to go in to store for video game price matching, but I just got a cs rep on the phone and she did it for me without any issues.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't think that is necessary, in fact I'd love to hear from someone who played LBW then LttP and how they saw each.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
IMO Link Between Worlds has the dullest art style of any Zelda BUT it's a tightly crafted, fun game. A good choice when you don't have a lot of free time, so echoing that person who mentioned its length versus OOT.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'm leaning towards A Link Between Worlds now, though ignoring LttP for the time being. I'm sure it's a classic, but somehow buying a game from 1991 feels a bit weird when I want a new game. :v:

Nephzinho posted:

I don't think that is necessary, in fact I'd love to hear from someone who played LBW then LttP and how they saw each.

I'll try to remember this post though, and post some weird reverse order thoughts.

Basically I looked at some reviews for both of the games as well, and it does sound like ALBW is the better portable option, when compared to the larger experience that is OoT? I'm sure I'll get to that eventually though, since this is mostly a matter of order. I'll just grab OoT once done with ALBW!

Attestant fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 15, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like LBW more but I say get Ocarina. it's constantly at the top of GOAT lists. There is a reason.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked LBW, but I felt that a lot of it was trying to bank on LttP nostalgia that I didn't have, because I only played it about halfway through on the GBA years after a bunch of Zelda games I liked better.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
LBW is better if you don't have nostalgia for LttP, actually

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

HenryEx posted:

LBW is better if you don't have nostalgia for LttP, actually

I would argue the same, honestly. I loving love LttP and the entire first half of the game is screaming "HEY HEY DO YOU REMEMBER LINK TO THE PAST? REMEMBER HOW THERE WAS A DUNGEON HERE? WELL WE PUT ONE THERE TOO!" I mean, for gently caress's sake, the light world overworld is literally identical to the SNES original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Ultimately I found the game a solid entry into the series, but IIRC I wasn't a huge fan of a few decisions and then I saw that they were from LttP. It's been a little over 2½ years since I last touched that game so I couldn't tell you what they were.