Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Now I'm curious what the Greek on the handle says.

(Of course it's going to be inscribed in Greek, it's Oxbridge :wotwot: ...)

According to Wikipedia it translates as:

In Honours Mathematical,
This is the very last of all
The Wooden Spoons which you see here;
O you who see it, shed a tear.

Alternatively:

This wooden object is the last souvenir of the competitive examinations in mathematics. Look upon it, and weep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How do the Border and Internal Troops of the Russian Federation, and the former Soviet Union work?

I had thought that they would be the equivalent of say the CBSA and RCMP, simple border guards and a gendarmerie, but then I was reading an account of the Battle of Berlin that mentioned Border Guard regiments and NVKD Internal Troops. Obviously Berlin is a long way from the Polish border, what were they doing?

Are internal troops part of the army? What do border guard regiments do?

e: For clarity - What are Border Troops and what do they do?

What are Internal Troops and what do they do?

What were (are?) the wartime roles of these troops?

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 14, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What are examples of societies having to get to terms over a prolonged period with the prospect of way-of-life-altering military defeat? I'm really interested in the psychological impact of drawn-out looming defeat, like who just keeps on trucking, who stops giving any fucks, who starts to think about looking good to the conquerors / liberators post-war etc. I read a book on the Whites in the Russian Civil War and the CSA, Imperial Japan, Taiping, Kuomintang, and South Vietnam also seem like they would be candidates off the top of my head.

Places outside the West and eras outside the last 200 years would be particularly interesting.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Jews for most of their history? The Torah is full of Jews mourning their impending doom for breaking the covenant.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Frosted Flake posted:

How do the Border and Internal Troops of the Russian Federation, and the former Soviet Union work?

I had thought that they would be the equivalent of say the CBSA and RCMP, simple border guards and a gendarmerie, but then I was reading an account of the Battle of Berlin that mentioned Border Guard regiments and NVKD Internal Troops. Obviously Berlin is a long way from the Polish border, what were they doing?

Are internal troops part of the army? What do border guard regiments do?

e: For clarity - What are Border Troops and what do they do?

The RCMP fought abroad too, and the USSR was a hell of a lot more pressed for men that knew how to use a gun than the British Empire during the Boer Wars.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

aphid_licker posted:

What are examples of societies having to get to terms over a prolonged period with the prospect of way-of-life-altering military defeat? I'm really interested in the psychological impact of drawn-out looming defeat, like who just keeps on trucking, who stops giving any fucks, who starts to think about looking good to the conquerors / liberators post-war etc. I read a book on the Whites in the Russian Civil War and the CSA, Imperial Japan, Taiping, Kuomintang, and South Vietnam also seem like they would be candidates off the top of my head.

Places outside the West and eras outside the last 200 years would be particularly interesting.

Native North Americans might cover what you are looking for, a lot of tribes fought for the French in the Seven Years War then for the British in the American War of Independence, because they knew that being left alone on the continent with the American colonist was going to be bad, bad news for them. After the revolution the various tribes ran the gamut of reactions that you mentioned.

The run up to WWI is also interesting in this regard in that France after 1871 was witnessing a unified Germany skyrocket in terms of industrial production and population, while her own productivity and birth rate dwindled, leading to calls from the generals that they had to go to war with Germany now or it would be too late in the future. Meanwhile Germany has pretty much the same view about Russia and is abjectly terrified of her massive population and rapid modernisation, leading to calls that Germany would never get a better chance to take out Russia on favourable terms (obviously Russiaturned out to be a paper tiger, but pretty much all of Europe was united in thinking Russia could steamroll the rest of the continent if she wanted).

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Ataxerxes posted:

I think that that spoon thing was an Oxford or Cambridge tradition, the one who passed the annual final exams with the lowest still passing grade was given a spoon by other students. It stopped at some point when the spoons got stupidly big and the faculty thought they were dangerous.

Yep. Mathematics exams were competitive, and the lowest pass was rewarded with a wooden spoon. The opposite handle is a rowing blade and you can still be rewarded with a wooden spoon for losing all of the 4 days of racing in Oxford and Cambridge's college races (and rewarded with an oar for winning them).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My favorite story of defeat and its aftermath are the memoirs of Wrangel. He writes in such a no-nonsense businesslike way about everything it has this cumulative effect of thinking "this guy has a good head on his shoulders". It's total propaganda of course but I enjoyed them a lot.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

obviously Russia turned out to be a paper tiger, but pretty much all of Europe was united in thinking Russia could steamroll the rest of the continent if she wanted).

Not THAT obvious actually, look at European history from 1941 to 1990...

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I'll be travelling through Portugal, northern Spain and southern France the next couple of months. Are there any cool milhist museums/locations that you guys know of?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

feedmegin posted:

Not THAT obvious actually, look at European history from 1941 to 1990...

Last time I checked the Warsaw Pact wasn't run by Tsar Nicholas II (and his partners in crime the Tsarist Russian officer corps)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeCrotch posted:

Last time I checked the Warsaw Pact wasn't run by Tsar Nicholas II (and his partners in crime the Tsarist Russian officer corps)

That's what they wanted you to think :tinfoil:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Actually quite a few of the latter were involved with the early Soviet army.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's what they wanted you to think :tinfoil:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

WW1 tank takes over Trafalgar Square for 100th anniversary.

Can't wait to read more about this.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know about the border troops, but the VV was the ministry of internal security's military arm, used for places where using the Red Army would look bad - against Russian citizens. Primary duties were full-scale riot suppression, anti-guerilla actions in rebellious areas, and defending fortified urban areas in wartime. I don't know if it still exists in the RF, but you can bet your rear end they have something similar.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Tias posted:

I don't know about the border troops, but the VV was the ministry of internal security's military arm, used for places where using the Red Army would look bad - against Russian citizens. Primary duties were full-scale riot suppression, anti-guerilla actions in rebellious areas, and defending fortified urban areas in wartime. I don't know if it still exists in the RF, but you can bet your rear end they have something similar.

The MVD RF still exists, and fought in Chechnya and Dagestan.

Edit: Except this year they were made a part of the new National Guard of Russia.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

JcDent posted:

Polish army museum! The inside is overwhelming (I don't think I'm capable of giving a poo poo about bolt-action rifles anymore) and confusingly laid, snd not much in the way of English text. A poo poo ton of gear dating abck to X century, more armor and uniforms and guns than you can shake a pike at. Would recommend.

Happy to have finally seen a Sherman and a Centurion.

Back to page 81 with me.

Nice stuff right there!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Polish army museum! The inside is overwhelming (I don't think I'm capable of giving a poo poo about bolt-action rifles anymore) and confusingly laid, snd not much in the way of English text. A poo poo ton of gear dating abck to X century, more armor and uniforms and guns than you can shake a pike at. Would recommend.

Happy to have finally seen a Sherman and a Centurion.

Back to page 81 with me.

really cool pics!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I noticed in those Polish museum pics there was a display on the Enigma. Did you know that the NSA National Cryptography Museum near Baltimore has two Enigma machines....that you can use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SBNc-lpJXU

That's me encrypting my first name. You have to press the keys really hard because each press spins a rotor as well. There's no way to type quickly even if you wanted to.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Hogge Wild posted:

really cool pics!

Awww, not a single one on the uniforms?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also in the post I made in another thread about the Enigma, I found a great story from a 19-year-old girl who was one of the codebreakers, Mavis Lever:

quote:

The one snag with Enigma of course is the fact that if you press A, you can get every other letter but A. I picked up this message and—one was so used to looking at things and making instant decisions—I thought: 'Something's gone. What has this chap done? There is not a single L in this message.'

My chap had been told to send out a dummy message and he had just had a fag [cigarette] and pressed the last key on the keyboard, the L. So that was the only letter that didn't come out. We had got the biggest crib we ever had, the encypherment was LLLL, right through the message and that gave us the new wiring for the wheel [rotor]. That's the sort of thing we were trained to do. Instinctively look for something that had gone wrong or someone who had done something silly and torn up the rule book.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How did WW2 armies decide who should fight in tanks?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

People who owned cars.

In 1940's Europe that's a quite small proportion of the population, getting to vanishingly small the further east you go. A core role of a tank crewman is maintenance, their first preference went to people who'd laid hands on an engine before.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also short people.

Because there's not much space in a tank.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
And the people who lived near a tank unit's home garrison were more likely to serve their conscription there.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think generally there were also some number of volunteers, since your chances were probably better than if you were conscripted into infantry.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Baron Porkface posted:

The Finnish tank forces had, according to Reino Lehväslaiho who served there (in his memoirs titled "Sotkalla sodassa" (in the war with Sotka(a nickname for a T-34), assigned people there pretty much randomly. Lehväslaiho had served as a volunteer in the Winter War (since he wasn't old enough to have been called into service by the time it started). He got sent into the Tank Regiment (as it was called then) to do his national service and ended up serving there for the rest of the war.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Baron Porkface posted:

People familiar with technology in their civilian life: drivers, mechanics, etc. Also cavalrymen, since the breakthrough exploitation tactics were similar.

As for loaders, literally anyone beefy enough to move around heavy things for a long time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That uniform feels like some 19th century chic. Actual subject and date: Eric Shinseki, 1965

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

That uniform feels like some 19th century chic. Actual subject and date: Eric Shinseki, 1965

Old uniforms never die, the men wearing them just get weirder.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PittTheElder posted:

That poo poo's still around. Here's a considerably more recent photo of the exact same outfit.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
black plumes are extremely my poo poo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

black plumes are extremely my poo poo

I think those are marching band uniforms. :v: I was in my high school's marching band and we had white plumes for the rank and file, black plumes for the section leaders.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

I think those are marching band uniforms. :v: I was in my high school's marching band and we had white plumes for the rank and file, black plumes for the section leaders.
those are west point uniforms, my friend

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ensign Expendable posted:

People familiar with technology in their civilian life: drivers, mechanics, etc. Also cavalrymen, since the breakthrough exploitation tactics were similar.

As for loaders, literally anyone beefy enough to move around heavy things for a long time.

Yeah, soviet tank forces were largely city dwellers, weren't they?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

those are west point uniforms, my friend

You're not joking, are you. This does not enhance my respect for America's armed forces.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Why don't their chin straps, actually go under their chins?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Plumes, pom poms and feathers are all vital elements of a good early to mid 19th century uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Plumes, pom poms and feathers are all vital elements of a good early to mid 19th century uniform.

And most marching band uniforms invoke the imagery of those uniforms. Bonus points for sashes and those strappy things across the chest, which my high school's band had on our uniforms. We were in dark green, black, silver trim, and white plumes for line members and black plumes for the section leaders.