Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jimbot posted:

He brought up Film Hulk in that Mass Effect essay. That alone disqualifies him from any award.

Compare and contrast the impressive and substantial work of these fan writers with the lightweights and pro authors favored in recent years by the SF-SJWs. The difference is downright risible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jimbot posted:

He brought up Film Hulk in that Mass Effect essay. That alone disqualifies him from any award.

Oh god FH's thing on ME3 was the worst condescending bullshit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

I've heard of it, but it sounds like no Tequila & Bonetti.

It's kind of its own weirdness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnCyMpl4dhk

(Is that kosher to link? If not I'll edit it out.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 15, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

TheMaestroso posted:

Oh god FH's thing on ME3 was the worst condescending bullshit.

I heard as much, I couldn't read it because his gimmick is really obnoxious. But when it comes to game writing I like two things - really in-depth critiques or interesting editorials that say something. Game writing leaves much to be desired in both. A lot of people who write editorials trying to say something spend a whole lot of time not saying anything and usually end with a "somewhere, the truth is in the middle" non-stance and don't commit to anything. Even stuff that talks about how Dragon Age was an important game to this certain person because they could relate to the Qunari or something is interesting, even though I didn't, at all, relate to that game in that person's way. It's nice perspectives. Giantbomb had a string of guest editorials that were just that. They were interesting reads, even though I didn't agree with some of the opinions given (one translady argued that transgendered characters should be written by transgendered people. While it would be ideal for them to write them, to draw on life experiences and such, I don't think such writing such characters should be limited to the base they're representing. That'd cause more problems in the long run.)

It's also why I liked MrBtongue's and Matthewmatosis's videos, despite the later having a tendency to get a little nitpicky. They tackle games from angles that you just don't see in most game writing or even videos.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's a good thing it doesn't have kids in it, or he'd get really angry

I dunno about his other poo poo, but his hate of Little Lamplight in Fallout 3 (or hatred of Fallout 3 in general) is very justified.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
you know what I won't

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 15, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

It's kind of its own weirdness

(Is that kosher to link? If not I'll edit it out.)

I always found The Littlest Hobo to be an inherently depressing show whenever I saw reruns of it on TV when I was a kid. I kept thinking "aww, why doesn't someone take that poor dog in and give him a nice home / why are these people so stupid and or helpless that they need a literal wandering dog to sort out their various life problems?" Plus there's just something about the way the guy sings the theme song that makes it sound sad on the inside.

That said, god yeah, Lupa, check it out. Or better yet, pass it along to Brad because it's the perfect encapsulation of Late 70s/Early 80s Shot-on-Shitteo Canadian Community Theater And Child Actor drama starring a cute, vaguely talented dog and long stretches of near silence while said dog wanders around the Ontario boondocks. It's like practically right up Brad's alley.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Plus there's just something about the way the guy sings the theme song that makes it sound sad on the inside.

Oh it's definitely a sad song. There is a reason the latest season of Trailer Park Boys ended with a cover of it. Say what you will about TPB being idiotic, but they did end the latest season pretty well.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Miss Wallace posted:

I've heard of it, but it sounds like no Tequila & Bonetti.

Phelan did a short The Littlest Hobo parody for Mortal Komedy a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFHRS-kSHk4

Maybe he can fill you in.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
There's also a movie where a dog becomes a professional wrestler.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

There were actually three wrestlers there that I recognised. Poor Johnny Mundo, jobbing to a jack russell

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I don't think he deserves to be smeared by association with vox day. That's a pretty low blow.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

you know what I won't

People hating on that lovely Fallout 3 settlement with annoying kids makes you that mad?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Infamous Sphere posted:

A series on Ridiculous Dog Shows would be great. I mentioned Inspector Rex a good while ago and I think Lupa would get a real kick out of it (not just for Rex the overly-competent police dog, but also the fact that every episode has the same set-up: an obvious red herring person, and then we see the real criminals gloating about how they got away with the crime. They always look hilariously, obviously evil - the woman applying lipstick in a mirror evilly and the man looking like a bleach-blonde version of Patrick Bateman. Then obviously in the end Rex catches them.)

Also, there's the theme song, which according to a twitter friend of mine, sounds like it was written by three separate people, none of whom talked to each other while they were making it.
Kommissar Rex was amazing, in retrospect it's obviously hilariously silly but I loved that show as a kid.
In the same vein (though less unintentionally goofy) there was the super dramatic Medicopter 117.

Also Lupa/Miss Wallace where can I find your Miami Connection video? The one of the phelous website seems defunct and while it was in your older style I loved that video and I'd like to watch it again now that I've finally seen the movie myself a while ago.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Forgall posted:

I don't think he deserves to be smeared by association with vox day. That's a pretty low blow.

Grognards recognize grog

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Somebody finally paid SFDebris to review good anime for once.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Forgall posted:

That doesn't seem right. Someone pay for some underage lesbians fighting alien robots or something, as soon as possible.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

e X posted:

That doesn't seem right. Someone pay for some underage lesbians fighting alien robots or something, as soon as possible.

Maybe they messed up and they actually wanted him to review Elfen Lied or something

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Maybe they messed up and they actually wanted him to review Elfen Lied or something

You loving monster. Don't even joke about that:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Infamous Sphere posted:

A series on Ridiculous Dog Shows would be great.

There was an old brittish kids show called 'Woof!' that I'd like to submit for approval. It's about a boy who occasionally transforms into a dog. Because of a reason.

It demonstrates the very best of British animation talent in its opening sequence and joins the club of memorable theme songs.

Its worth noting that when Boy transforms - his clothes dont. So looking back the whole thing seems like a series of overly elaborate scenarios that result in a young boy being rendered naked in public. It's all in good fun tho.

https://youtu.be/NuljH8B_QnU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anime Abandon's got a month of Nuts and Bolts commentaries in September, and up first is Eiken.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Forgall posted:

I still cringe every time I visit his page and see Kannazuki No Miko over on the side bar.

Like, even if you desparately, positively must have lesbians in your Anime, there's still a pretty decent number of shows that'll scratch that itch without being hilariously awful.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I still cringe every time I visit his page and see Kannazuki No Miko over on the side bar.

Like, even if you desparately, positively must have lesbians in your Anime, there's still a pretty decent number of shows that'll scratch that itch without being hilariously awful.

I think at the time it was one of a tiny handful of options, but yeah, today it's sort of a bottom of the barrel thing.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

I'm just happy that he's reviewing Kino's Journey. That series is one of my favorite animes ever, I think it's really under appreciated. I even went out of my way to buy a used copy of the light novel, which sadly only ever got two volumes released over her cause of Tokyopop. Hope it can get brought back now that LNs are popular and stuff like Baccano is getting translated.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Utena's right there!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

KayTee posted:

There was an old brittish kids show called 'Woof!' that I'd like to submit for approval. It's about a boy who occasionally transforms into a dog. Because of a reason.

It demonstrates the very best of British animation talent in its opening sequence and joins the club of memorable theme songs.

Its worth noting that when Boy transforms - his clothes dont. So looking back the whole thing seems like a series of overly elaborate scenarios that result in a young boy being rendered naked in public. It's all in good fun tho.

Holy crap I don't remember this title sequence at all. I remember the one with the lovely fluffy doggie in live-action. The music has burned itself into my brain though.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

nine-gear crow posted:

That said, god yeah, Lupa, check it out. Or better yet, pass it along to Brad because it's the perfect encapsulation of Late 70s/Early 80s Shot-on-Shitteo Canadian Community Theater And Child Actor drama starring a cute, vaguely talented dog and long stretches of near silence while said dog wanders around the Ontario boondocks. It's like practically right up Brad's alley.

It's great for the acting - check out the awesome acting chops of some guy name Mike Myers at 3:20 of this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0jLPre5xI

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Before he became Wayne Campbell, apparently.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Zedd posted:

Kommissar Rex was amazing, in retrospect it's obviously hilariously silly but I loved that show as a kid.
In the same vein (though less unintentionally goofy) there was the super dramatic Medicopter 117..

We watched Kommissar Rex all the time in German class because the teacher was a bit of a soft touch. Probably why I'm not as good at German as I should be, for taking it for 3 and a half years. (I eventually quit because I got sick of having to work out the grammar. When you haven't learned the finer points of *english* grammar it sucks when they start throwing "genitive case' and "dative case' at you in a second language.)

KayTee posted:

Huh, I didn't know it was a show? I read the book though - by Allan Ahlberg I believe! Come to think of it, I've probably read just about every British animal-related kids book in existence.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stillvisions posted:

It's great for the acting - check out the awesome acting chops of some guy name Mike Myers at 3:20 of this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0jLPre5xI

Oh my loving GAWD :vince:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

HopperUK posted:

Holy crap I don't remember this title sequence at all. I remember the one with the lovely fluffy doggie in live-action. The music has burned itself into my brain though.

The thing actually ran for 9 seasons, from 1989 to 1997. The animated intro was prolly only used for the 1st season and possiably only part of that, I remember it, but only vaguely, if you'd have asked me I'd have likely described the live action one you're probably remembering.)

Fun fact: The dog star of the show, Pippin, was a direct descendant of Benji! I half suspected as much but needed Wikipedia to confirm it. Small world!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Infamous Sphere posted:

We watched Kommissar Rex all the time in German class because the teacher was a bit of a soft touch. Probably why I'm not as good at German as I should be, for taking it for 3 and a half years. (I eventually quit because I got sick of having to work out the grammar. When you haven't learned the finer points of *english* grammar it sucks when they start throwing "genitive case' and "dative case' at you in a second language.)

There was a a Portuguese version of this show, made for people who thought that Rex's owner being a bachelor and Rex having actual police dog experience was too edgy. No, Max just wanted to be a cop dog and was found by the police commisisoner's kids and grandpa and maid and rando dork. poo poo was more conservative than Murder She Wrote, and didn't even have a lick of charm of either.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

stillvisions posted:

Holy poo poo! Is that Clarence Williams III? Linc from Mod Squad and Sampson from Half Baked-Clarence Williams III?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
This guy made a pretty good and solid rebuttal to that Every Frame a Painting video on Film Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXsH88XlKM

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

achillesforever6 posted:

This guy made a pretty good and solid rebuttal to that Every Frame a Painting video on Film Music

YES! Someone else who notices that James Horner was a hackjob.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's a really good video. I've forgotten how many drums they had for Man of Steel when he cut to the clip of like 6 of them all playing. That's one drat great soundtrack.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I know he's talking about "orchestrated" film scores, but Giorgio Moroder and Tangerine Dream were doing synthesized film scores in the 70s.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I know of two movies decided to keep their temp tracks because they were great: 2001 and Alien.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

All Star in Shrek was a temp track they left in when test audiences loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I find the "hans zimmer ruined film scores" rebuttal to be 1: extremely obvious and 2: 100% correct

I mean I don't know how people who study film DON'T come to that conclusion, hans zimmer is an extremely talented composer but motherfuckers imitate him CONSTANTLY and it sucks because they're never anywhere near as good

• Locked thread