Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The creepy part about this scene is the giggling "herbalist" Nathan found. Without him it would be a fairly straightforward - if dramatic - coma storyline. The NPC is just completely inappropriate for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I don't know why they had got the herbalist to be such a giggling weirdo - it adds a creepy layer to the scene that's not needed, and makes Nathan look like he has poor judgment.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Robindaybird posted:

I don't know why they had got the herbalist to be such a giggling weirdo - it adds a creepy layer to the scene that's not needed, and makes Nathan look like he has poor judgment.

... That would be because he does. Remember, this man has such a complex about it he rescues two different women (one of whom is more directly connected to Rachel than the other, and both of whom were damsels in distress at the time). And the herbalist is a nutter, full stop. The giggling ties into that.

What I'm saying is, it works just fine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think of the Old Man in Narshe who called Nathan in to rescue Terra even though everyone knew Terra was leading the Magitek battalion that just got done loving Narshe up. Did he know Nathan well enough to know that Nathan would rescue Terra even though he knew who she was because she's a damsel in distress--an amnesiac damsel in distress, no less--and he just can't help himself?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think of the Old Man in Narshe who called Nathan in to rescue Terra even though everyone knew Terra was leading the Magitek battalion that just got done loving Narshe up. Did he know Nathan well enough to know that Nathan would rescue Terra even though he knew who she was because she's a damsel in distress--an amnesiac damsel in distress, no less--and he just can't help himself?

All I'm saying is, when you have a nail, why not bring in the hammer?

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

achtungnight posted:

If we had named Olivia Elena, this is where I'd use the 'last year's model' line from Uncharted 2. But now that we're here, I don't know if it's that appropriate.

See, Achtung gets it. This is just one example of why I went for Elena after Nathan got chosen.

On the topic of fitting renames btw... the coin flip scene pretty much illustrates "Remain and Leave" perfectly. Quite frankly- if it weren't for the fact that Leave (the LPer) was greatly amused by the prospect of not only getting his favorite renamed for him, but also being able to say he's Bowser's brother... I probably would have changed my vote to Remain as well, was just too good.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Robindaybird posted:

I think you're supposed to think that Nathan is possibly a wee bit obsessive, which is why he goes along with the creepy weirdo herbalist who seems to at least be good at what he does.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
It's too bad Terra's still explicitly listed as a party member during this (as evidenced by her icon in the shop menu), or her turning into a pink monster and flying off would've had more dramatic weight.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dotchan posted:

It's too bad Terra's still explicitly listed as a party member during this (as evidenced by her icon in the shop menu), or her turning into a pink monster and flying off would've had more dramatic weight.

Well so is Shadow and he tends to gently caress off whenever he wants.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

dotchan posted:

This is a pretty good point actually :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 17, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Twenty Two: Get Jidoor

Welcome back, folks! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we discovered a bit of backstory for the Figaro twins and our resident treasure hunter, which was really the main meat of the update. Today, in a short update, we're going to explore the town of Jidoor, then stop on the doorstep of where Terra ran off to, so let's roll.

There's not a ton to do in Jidoor quite yet, but we'll get there.

It's important to note that it's the rich town, though. Not that goods cost more here than anywhere else, but it's full of rich people.

There's also some new armor I can pick up here, so let's go check into that.

The Ninja Gear adds +2 to Speed, while the White Dress adds +5 Magic. Those are the only things I bought here, but the Twist Headband offers +1 Speed, +2 Stamina, and +3 Strength, which isn't too bad. I left Leave and Nathan with the Green Berets, though.

If you go back to the first image of this update and look at the minimap, you'll see that this is actually true. We're not getting any more westerly towns than this.

Let's go see what qualify as weapons in the wild wild west.

Jack's new sword is just a straight damage boost, while the Kaiser Knuckles are Holy elemental, and the Kodachi is another damage boost. There's also the full set of elemental scrolls here, in case you had Bowser along.

When I said this was the rich town, I wasn't joking. They're so rich, they kicked all the poor people out.

That's an entirely new level of assholery.

There is a town north, between the mountains, and that's where Terra seems to have hosed off to.

But if there's no poor families, wouldn't the middle class become the new poor? And then those who are wealthy, but on the lower end of the scale, be the middle-class?

Or am I thinking about this too much?

Okay, let's scribble down that name, seems like it could be important later.

At this moment, the Auction House is nothing to get excited about, but later on, for a price, we can get some good items.

Some of the people in here are dicks.

Well, how convenient is this...

Hey, we're trying to take down the Empire! I bet that means we get to loot their cities when we're done!

She's not wrong.

:smith:

Be careful, man. You might make your kid a dick.

With that done, let's check out the mansion at the north end of town.

There's some more stuff to see in here, but I'm still just padding out this update.

Remember that name. It's going to be important later.

Hmm...Imperial general, or lying opera floozy?

Or petty thief?

On the other side of the mansion is a collection of paintings.

Each have their own little description, too.

If you say so, game.

It's a painting of a loving bucket.

Looks more like it should be a companion piece to the lovely lady piece.

Hmm? I don't recognize that one.

Man, art must have been lame as hell back in the day.

When did the bowl of fruit stop being fashionable?

Well, that's what makes it a good painting!

And that wraps things up in here.

For now...

Zozo is where we're going next, but there's an opera house, so let's see what's down there before we get too far.

So we'll ride there in style!

So, this next shot would have been impossible to get if not for me being able to scroll through frames.

What's going on with Olivia's color palette here?

I don't have a clue! But it's kind of neat.

So, yeah, no reason to be here.

But, to make this update feel a little more worthwhile, I picked up a new Blitz, and I'd like to show off Remain's new Tools.

Leave's new Blitz is called Rising Phoenix.

It targets all enemies, dealing Fire damage.

It's a good crowd clearing attack, especially with a couple of Earrings on Leave.

The Drill is pretty powerful, dealing massive damage, ignoring defense, and being unblockable.

Flash is the other Tool that we picked up, and it's another one that hits all enemies.

It inflicts Blind, is unblockable, and ignores split damage.

The damage isn't too bad, but Rising Phoenix is better for that sort of thing.

So now, we head north, to Zozo.

Which is where we leave off for this update.

Next time, we'll head through Zozo and see if we can rescue Terra!

Stay tuned!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I love Zozo, especially the music.

I completely forgot that the good people of Jindoor Trumped the poors right out of town, that's kind of amusing.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
What happened to the Coliseum? I thought we were going to check that out too.

I like Jidoor because of its character- mostly because it's realistic. Rich people are snobby jerks in real life, and it's quite nice to see that reflected in a fantasy game for once.

Zozo's probably more my kind of place. The next update will show you why.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 17, 2016

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.
I have always loved that Remain puts a hat on for the drill

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Leavemywife posted:

Leave's new Blitz is called Rising Phoenix.

It targets all enemies, dealing Fire damage.

Yes, I'd like a multi-target Blitz that just goes gently caress everything and ends fights in a couple seconds.

Remain's Tools and Leave's Blitzes let you put Mowgli and a bag of salt in the other two slots and win most trash fights. FFVI is not what I would call balanced.

achtungnight posted:

I like Jidoor because of its character- but really Zozo's a better town in many ways. I'd be from there if I was in the game, so you can trust me. ;)

There's actually no Coliseum. I think it's just a crazy guy in a house.

I find Zozo annoying to navigate, but it's got style.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

achtungnight posted:

Doesn't exist. Yet.

achtungnight posted:

Zozo's probably more my kind of place. The next update will show you why.

I know how the game goes, but this nudge nudge wink wink poo poo is obnoxious and please stop.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Remain has lots of little sprite changes for his Tools. It's another thing that makes me love him. Gas Mask for the Bio Blaster, Hard Hat for the Drill. :)

For the record, I knew about the Coliseum. I just wanted Leave to show stuff off. Maybe I'll just post my monster updates from now on.

Next one, er, sometime down the road. Bye.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If I recalled correctly, there used to be a bug where you can put anything in the hat slot, and Edgar's Drill was a popular choice for it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Robindaybird posted:

If I recalled correctly, there used to be a bug where you can put anything in the hat slot, and Edgar's Drill was a popular choice for it.

Well, that's only possible in the Japanese Famicom version. That was actually fixed somewhat when the game came over stateside.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
You technically still can in the English version, but you have to do a different glitch first.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, what a town full of assholes.

They probably had the world map redrawn just so they were on one edge.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
Oh wow, I totally forgot Jidoor was before Zozo... or actually, to be honest I completely forgot about it. I mean, it's just there.

ParanoidLogician fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 19, 2016

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

If you say so, game.
Could've sworn this was a picture of a bird.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I think that's supposed to be a 16×16 rendition of the Mona Lisa or something.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Aerdan posted:

I think that's supposed to be a 16×16 rendition of the Mona Lisa or something.
It looks more like a 16x16 rendition of Beatrix from FF9.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

quote:

But if there's no poor families, wouldn't the middle class become the new poor? And then those who are wealthy, but on the lower end of the scale, be the middle-class?

This is exactly correct. One of psychology's enduring observations is that people don't actually feel rich unless they are better off than the people around them, no matter how rich they are.

There was a study done where people surveyed said on average that they would rather earn a pittance, as long as it was higher than everyone around them, than be the guy earning, say, 250K a year in a town where everyone else earned higher. I forget the exact numbers.

The parade that is human stupidity never ends.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 19, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So, who collects the trash and fixes outhouses?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nobody. They just keep moving the town west.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I always wondered about that - are people trying to account for inflation? It's just one of those stories I find completely bewildering, it's like an account of aliens or something.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I'm totally going to make a romhack that turns this into a parable about gentrification.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

So, who collects the trash and fixes outhouses?
I'm gonna guess that they hire someone from out of the city and kick their rear end out when their work is done.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

I'm gonna guess that they hire someone from out of the city and kick their rear end out when their work is done.

I mean the logical people to hire would be the same people they evicted and who built Zozo. The only time they mention Zozo's residents, though, it's as criminals sneaking in. If not for that, yeah it does make sense that Jidoor could be a sundown town for the poors they want scrubbing their floors but living far away.

Yeah, I know, nobody ever had any reason to give a this much of a poo poo about how the class dynamics of this one-off town work, shutup.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

GunnerJ posted:

I mean the logical people to hire would be the same people they evicted and who built Zozo. The only time they mention Zozo's residents, though, it's as criminals sneaking in. If not for that, yeah it does make sense that Jidoor could be a sundown town for the poors they want scrubbing their floors but living far away.

Yeah, I know, nobody ever had any reason to give a this much of a poo poo about how the class dynamics of this one-off town work, shutup.

Zozo is also one hell of a trek away.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Twenty Three: A Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we explored Jidoor and made our way to Zozo, where Terra has supposedly fled to. Today, we're going to explore the town, so let's roll.

One step before getting into a fight!? Oh, God, it's Mother all over again!

...Well, that is one big jackass.

He's also a fairly dangerous prick, too, and having 1,200 HP, he's pretty tough for a regular enemy.

It's times like this that I wish this game had enemy animations, since the thought of a giant headbutting our tiny little guys is hilarious to me.

Remember, Olivia is in the back row. 242 damage if she was in the front; that's why I like having folks in the back, since that's a scary damned number.

If you're so tempted, you can steal Gigas Gloves from them, but it's a rare steal, so it's best to just nuke them.

When you kill a Hill Gigas, there's a 33% chance they'll counter with this attack. As the name implies, it's an earthquake type thingy, and earthquakes are bad news.

They also don't give a poo poo about rows.

These guys drop 600 Gil and 550 EXP a piece, and are weak against Poison. They also absorb Earth, for what that's worth.

After the fight, I have to use a Phoenix Down and some Hi-Potions, but I can spare 'em.

So, I would apologize for the length between updates, but I'm not actually sorry about it.

I've been spending that time with my wife and the Koopaling. We just finished playing through Marvel Ultimate Alliance. She likes the Human Torch, but could not remember his name for the longest time.

For a while, he was "Hot Guy" when she talked about him.

Uh...A'ight.

Hey, bud, you seen any ladies around here?

Bummer. :(

...I'll come back once I figure out if this is bullshit or not.

Let's meet another couple of citizens around here.

The Harvester is the dude in the back, and the guys up front are Gobbledygooks.

I highly recommend blasting them to smithereens as soon as possible, since the Harvesters can heal themselves with Hi-Potions, slice you up, or throw Mythril Knives at you. And if you try to steal from them, then they'll try and rob you back. They have 428 HP, and give up 314 Gil and 291 EXP.

Meanwhile, the Gobs can throw wrenches at you, smack you, or cast the Vanish spell on themselves, which turns them invisible and immune to physical attacks, requiring magical attacks to either make them visible again or to kill them. The little guys have 350 HP a piece and drop 126 Gil and 104 EXP.

I'm only including this shot because Remain kneecapped him with a crossbow.

So, inside here is a clue for a puzzle coming up.

It's a clock puzzle, too.

Up on the second floor, we get into a fight with the last new enemy of the update.

Meet the Veil Dancer, who should be killed as quickly as possible, especially if she's alone.

When she's with other enemies, she can use Mysterious Dance, which inflicts Sleep.

By herself, she can cast either Fira, Blizzara or Thundara, either single or multi-target, and they hurt like the dickens. The single target one is, more than likely, going to completely kill somebody.

But, with 392 HP, they're not too tough, but they can kill the poo poo out of you. And only 224 EXP and 296 Gil.

We're over here to grab some treasure.

I mean, not in this door. It's rusted shut!

And in here is an Ether. Could come in handy!

One last bit of treasure to grab before we actually go through the city, and it's a doozy.

Oh, the gimmick here is that every citizen in Zozo is a loving liar. Nobody tells the truth around here, and I was thinking about trying to work that gimmick into the update, but then I decided that was dumb, so I didn't.

It's also how you're supposed to figure out how to set this clock; some people will lie to you about what time their watches have, so you do some logic stuff, and viola! You have an answer.

Instead, gently caress that, I'm going to put in 6:10:50, which is the answer.

Which moves that wall over there, so we can go grab our prize.

The Chainsaw is another Tool for Remain, and one of his best.

Let's go see why!

REMAIN GETS HIS loving MURDER ON

Yeah, that causes Instant Death. But, the Chainsaw isn't just a one-trick instant murder pony.

Because it also has a variant where it ignores Defense and does a shitload of damage.

Okay, we're done loving around, so let's get to it.

In this room, there's a ton of dudes just going through it, single file.

I'm not sure what the hell they're doing.

If anyone can explain it, I'll edit it into the update.

They go check in with the guy at the desk and keep moving. It's nothing creepy or anything, either. It's just an odd thing.

Like gently caress I'm waiting in line!

And now we're outside.

Ooh, a door!

The Brigand's Glove is some good poo poo.

So now, Nathan can steal and attack at the same time!

So, we have to get to that building over there. And someone mentioned we shouldn't jump between the buildings.

So, of course, that's what we're doing.

Parkour!

Now, we can pop over to the side there and talk with a guy behind the counter, but, eh...

Instead, we just go forward, grab an Ether and a Hi-Potion out of those pots, and keep going.

In case you hadn't figured out that this town is full of bad guys, most of the sprites are of the scruffy looking nerf herders.

LIAR

Olivia is pretty good at jumping off stuff!

gently caress me, Zozo is kind of boring. Neat idea for a town, and the jumping between buildings is neat, but...To me, overall, it's meh.

'course, that's not the real reason for being here. The real reason is Terra.

She hasn't been gone long, but I still miss her. She was our first character, and she's a little better at magic than Olivia, but Olivia is a bit stronger and faster.

Plus, Fire is cooler than Blizzard.

...Shut up.

That's a nice carpet.

...Is that a unique sprite?

You hold up a second bud, I've got an investigation to do.

New weapon for Leave? Don't mind if I do!

Fire based physicals? I wouldn't mind, but with Rising Phoenix, and all the other advantages of Blitz, I won't be getting a ton of use out of this.

Not that I won't be buying new weapons when they come up. That's one of my favorite things to do in an RPG, and I'll be goddamned if I'm not getting new weapons when they come up!

I've gotta see those numbers go up, and gently caress what logic and gameplay has to say about it!

:ducksiren:Oh, uh, here's the boss fight!:ducksiren:

Well, feel free to just get the hell out of my way.

We both know it's not going to be any trouble.

Alright, let's get this done.

So, uh...He's got MC Hammer pants. That's all I got here.

What? Don't look at me like that, we all knew that's how this was going to start.

What we may not have expected, though, is a Shockwave.

It's a bit painful, but Olivia is here with the Cure.

This is what Mug looks like, by the way.

It still hits twice, too, so there's not much reason to have Nathan use Attack again.

Dadaluma is weak to Poison, being a humanoid enemy.

With 3,270 HP, I probably should have just used the Chainsaw, but whatever.

When his HP dips below 1,920, he'll use three healing items in a row, either a Hi-Potion or a regular Potion. In this case, it was two Hi, one regular.

Which he then follows with Protect.

Not that I really give a poo poo about that sort of thing, since I have a Chainsaw (ho ho ho).

:coal:

Now, Dadaluma has a lot more fight associated with him; he can use Jump, he'll try and Steal from you if you Steal from him (since we used Mug, we didn't trigger that), he can summon a pair of Iron Fists, he has an attack called Sweepkick, which inflicts Sap, and last, but not least, he can throw Daggers or Mythril Knives at your party.

But, uh, I kind of kicked the poo poo out of him harder than I meant to. I feel a little guilty.

With the new Twist Headband he gave us, which we could have bought back in Jidoor, we lose not only from both defenses, but also some Evasion, and the health boost of the Green Beret.

As for that Jeweled Ring, it prevents Petrify. Meh.

But, we're going to end things here. There's a lot of heavy stuff coming in the next update, so we're going to wait on that sort of thing.

Stay tuned!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Also similar to Mother/Earthbound Beginnings: this is a town where everyone lies to you, just like the Monkey's Maze.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

If nothing else, Zozo wins a lot of style points. You will never forget Zozo.

Also, Slam Shuffle is just fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuvS4FbrAto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQKxACGpl0
:iamafag:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I hate trekking through Zozo, but I love the loot- especially Edgar's Chainsaw. He always seems to be enjoying himself when he uses it. :)

No need to apologize for the length between updates. You're doing fine with what you post, and you're spending the free time in a worthwhile activity. I know this as a family man myself.

I recommend you LP Marvel Ultimate Alliance someday. If only because I think you would really enjoy it. Marvel villains are such asshats, and both they and the heroes are always fun to talk about. It's also the best Marvel game I've seen out there, only one that about comes even with it is Lego Marvel Superheroes and that's only because they showcase different villains. As a reader, I'd enjoy such a thing too. Never seen a Screenshot LP of that sort of game. Would like to also. Have faith you could do well at it. Anyway, back to FF6.

Terra better be worth all the trouble it took to get to her! :glomp:

Monster update for sure after the next dungeon, but I'll coordinate with Kheldarn and maybe combine for length since not many monsters are being missed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The Chainsaw is a nice tool, what with the 25% chance to instantly kill the target, and deals great damage 75% of the time. Unfortunately, even against stuff immune to instant death, such as bosses, it still can still proc the instant kill, and do absolutely nothing in the process. I prefer using the drill in those cases, even though it's not as powerful.

The Range
Sep 20, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
*snip*

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Leavemywife posted:

I'm only including this shot because Remain kneecapped him with a crossbow.

You know, before this fight, he used to be an adventurer like you...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Locked thread