Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Greatest ROH Champion
This poll is closed.
Lethal 28 47.46%
Rowe 1 1.69%
HANSON 17 28.81%
Pitbull 13 22.03%
Total: 59 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

He's wrestling in Noah right?

Yeah he's been teaming with Taiji Ishimori and they rule as a team. You'd think they were teaming for years. Pretty underrated team imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/774327706662019073

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

just read about that ROH/PCW thing. Not surprised. ROH's office is a mess. Possibly worse than TNA's.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Like if no one on this thread has watched the Fantastica Mania match and follow up title matches from earlier this year, this is an awesome match up if they let them wrestle.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Between this and Ladder War 6, I won't care if ROH is somehow booking a full time NJPW guy against a part time NJPW guy for their title in a match that doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot when I go see this live.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i don't know that much about the man but Kevin Kelly gives me really bad vibes for some reason.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Paper Triangle posted:

i don't know that much about the man but Kevin Kelly gives me really bad vibes for some reason.

He gives off a really strong pedo vibe IMO

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

:stare:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Kevin Kelly is my boy but he def gives of that vibe.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The protege of RoH legend Rob Feinstein

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Problems mounting

https://twitter.com/ROHDelirious/status/774458272715796480

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The Beer City Bruiser is in a new Sears commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYpyDZyLlrA

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
ROH issued a statement in the PCW/ROH relationship. http://www.pwtorch.com/site/2016/09/14/u-k-indie-preston-city-withdraws-working-relationship-roh-announces-replacements/

We let you use our logo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
"Since the subject of Adam Cole’s contract has been asked about, since it’s no secret WWE wants him and was at one point directly saying they’d fast-track him to the NXT title, but he’s now the ROH champion, this is the situation. He’s under contract through 12/31, but because he missed four months due to his injuries, ROH is claiming the contract continues through the end of April"

wow, way to be petty

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

exploding mummy posted:

"Since the subject of Adam Cole’s contract has been asked about, since it’s no secret WWE wants him and was at one point directly saying they’d fast-track him to the NXT title, but he’s now the ROH champion, this is the situation. He’s under contract through 12/31, but because he missed four months due to his injuries, ROH is claiming the contract continues through the end of April"

wow, way to be petty

WWE does this with every contract. Great to see that it might spread throughout wrestling

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

exploding mummy posted:

wow, way to be petty

They're just trying to prep him for the way WWE works.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Adam's camp is operating on the belief that ROH can't hold them to that.

Meltzer takes most of his cues from Joe Koff/the ROH office rather than talent.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

rovert posted:

Adam's camp is operating on the belief that ROH can't hold them to that.

Meltzer takes most of his cues from Joe Koff/the ROH office rather than talent.

It seems completely insane and I have no idea how they would hold him to it, but somehow WWE seems to get away with this poo poo with Mysterio, Bryan, etc

I can't imagine any other universe where getting hurt on the job would allow your contract to be extended against your will...but loving wrestling man

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It seems completely insane and I have no idea how they would hold him to it, but somehow WWE seems to get away with this poo poo with Mysterio, Bryan, etc

I can't imagine any other universe where getting hurt on the job would allow your contract to be extended against your will...but loving wrestling man

It's probably some independent contractor loophole, there seems to be all sorts of ways to screw guys over that way. Although at least in ROH the guys are actually independent contractors, unlike WWE

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I don't get why they put the title on a guy who's clearly on his way out. Not gimmick posting when I say that I genuinely think they would've been better off giving it to Tanahashi.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Cole could probably walk away from ROH with few consequences unlike WWE who have an army of lawyers to tie you up in legal proceedings for a year or two.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Thauros posted:

I don't get why they put the title on a guy who's clearly on his way out. Not gimmick posting when I say that I genuinely think they would've been better off giving it to Tanahashi.

he's the most over singles guy in the promotion's most over act, and elevating Kyle with an extremely well-written and personal feud will do wonders for Kyle even if Cole is on the way out

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016

triplexpac posted:

It's probably some independent contractor loophole, there seems to be all sorts of ways to screw guys over that way. Although at least in ROH the guys are actually independent contractors, unlike WWE

They're not really independent contractors since ROH can still block wrestlers from working for WWE, TNA or LU. Plus, some ROH deals are exclusive, meaning they can't do any U.S. indy dates except for PWG.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bard Maddox posted:

he's the most over singles guy in the promotion's most over act, and elevating Kyle with an extremely well-written and personal feud will do wonders for Kyle even if Cole is on the way out
Wonder if they are worried about NJPW signing Fish and Kyle to a deal then.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Kyle winning the belt at Final Battle and then Cole getting fast-tracked into a program with Nakamura so Shinsuke can move to the WWE roster and not get stuck in Balor-esque purgatory forever sounds like the best possible scenario to me, so sorry ROH but I'm rooting for you to take the L on this one.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grozz Nuy posted:

Kyle winning the belt at Final Battle and then Cole getting fast-tracked into a program with Nakamura so Shinsuke can move to the WWE roster and not get stuck in Balor-esque purgatory forever sounds like the best possible scenario to me, so sorry ROH but I'm rooting for you to take the L on this one.

its ok, ROH is used to letting NJPW guys getting the better of them

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Since BOSJ didn't give it to me so we could get an extra match from the loving rear end man instead, Ospreay/O'Reilly at 15th Anniversary or SCOH please

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Legit shook

quote:

Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling are looking to sign several stars to combined deals for 2017 and beyond.

ROH is facing a potential big roster turnover with several deals set to expire at the end of the year, but they are hopeful that working with NJPW will prevent that.

New Japan is also looking to prevent what happened at the start of 2016 when the company lost Shinsuke Nakamura, A.J. Styles, Karl Anderson, and Doc Gallows to WWE.

NJPW has also expressed interest in running solo shows in the U.S. in 2017, prompting their attempt to sign U.S. stars to mix with the New Japan roster.

Matt Sydal, who is a free agent, has been offered a combined deal from ROH and New Japan.

Contracts for Bobby Fish and Kyle O’Reilly of the ReDragon tag team are set to expire at the end of the year.

Fish has risen to ROH TV champion and O’Reilly continues to be a significant part of the ROH talent roster in New Japan. Plus, ROH has big plans for O’Reilly at the end of the year. Therefore, NJPW is working with ROH to negotiate a new deal with ReDragon to keep them involved in both promotions next year and beyond.

https://twitter.com/SeanRadican/status/776529770968473600

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
That makes sense, most of the prominent guys in ROH work NJPW all the time anyway so formalizing that relationship to split the financial costs and provide more incentive for guys to not just split for the fed is a good idea.

If NJPW runs solo shows without ROH I hope they at least come to California, ROH never runs further west than Vegas and that blows.

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
All the guys offered these combined deals will accept. Most wrestlers are geeks for Japan.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The two guys I'd most like to see stay from NJPW's perspective are reDRagon, and I'm fairly optimistic they will. Compared to Cole/Bucks/Roddy I've never heard nearly as many rumors about them leaving anyway.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

The two guys I'd most like to see stay from NJPW's perspective are reDRagon, and I'm fairly optimistic they will. Compared to Cole/Bucks/Roddy I've never heard nearly as many rumors about them leaving anyway.

true but bobby's pushing 40. if he wants to make a run, this is the time.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Expect Radican to write a retraction/clarification.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

true but bobby's pushing 40. if he wants to make a run, this is the time.

I don't think there'll be much market in the fed for Bobby without Kyle, and Kyle has much more incentive to stay especially if they're offering a joint contract.

These are all guys (except for Cole) who probably have pretty limited ceilings in WWE anyway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Marquis de Pyro posted:

when WWE contracted talent's downside is like 500 large a year, its pretty easy to collect the money and cry and "woe is me"

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

relevant conversation on WOL today about little new wwe signees make compared to how much they can make as top guys with roh or on the indies

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

relevant conversation on WOL today about little new wwe signees make compared to how much they can make as top guys with roh or on the indies

Isn't it something like 30K a year and you have to find your own residence in Orlando, or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Super No Vacancy posted:

And again, with dudes like Bobby Fish who are nearing the end of their careers as it is, how far could he realistically make it up the card on the main roster before he's done anyway? Especially when you consider dudes with way bigger name value have languished in NXT for much longer than necessary.

I think Cole is the only big ROH guy right now for whom it really makes sense, he's young enough to have a legit run and is good-looking enough and good enough on the mic that he'll actually get a legit shot from WWE. I mean I'm sure Dijak will get signed eventually, guys his size always do, but he's not important to ROH's ability to draw anyway.

• Locked thread