Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Lakbay posted:

I said this earlier in the thread but the loot system hurts the hand crafted world/hand placed loot corpses because what's the point of trying to get a loot shiny that's an obvious trap when it's just going to be consumables or a weapon worst than your current one?

Because consumables are good and your statement exactly applies to dark souls as well were 95% of the corpses are just consumable souls. You also get actual for real story in this game when you loot a corpse rather than a 15 minute vaati video a year later to explain just exactly why the spiked armor being in this location makes sense (it doesn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Belzac posted:

Because consumables are good and your statement exactly applies to dark souls as well were 95% of the corpses are just consumable souls. You also get actual for real story in this game when you loot a corpse rather than a 15 minute vaati video a year later to explain just exactly why the spiked armor being in this location makes sense (it doesn't).

Was there ever anything to back up that guy's assertions or is he another success story whose "authority" is fuelled by idiot kids who watch too much youtube?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Chachi posted:

Was there ever anything to back up that guy's assertions or is he another success story whose "authority" is fuelled by idiot kids who watch too much youtube?

Yes? He always shows what evidence he bases theories on.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Belzac posted:

How is a single sentence voice over any different from reading a 3 sentence item description??? Also the 5% of corpses makes going for dangerous corpses worth it because it's usually a unique weapon or full armor set

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 9, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's also way more than 5%.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I pick up shiny things because they're shiny I don't really care what they end up being

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Can't say no to free amrita and items from shrine offerings.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Consumable Amirita spirit stones were super broken in Beta because using them increases your Spirit Gauge, meaning you can summon your Guardian Spirit repeatedly.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sakurazuka posted:

I pick up shiny things because they're shiny I don't really care what they end up being

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just like exploring for the sake of it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

WaltherFeng posted:

Consumable Amirita spirit stones were super broken in Beta because using them increases your Spirit Gauge, meaning you can summon your Guardian Spirit repeatedly.

Also, once you get the spirit that heals you when you pick up amrita you can use them for minor healing, though it's not as helpful.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nioh launches worldwide simultaneously on February 9th, 2017. Just announced at TGS.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 13, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Fingers crossed we get another beta! really want to check out the PVP. bummer it's not coming sooner but the improvements they made between beta 1 and beta 2 make me pretty confident the game's gonna be better off for it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'll be honest I was kind of done with alphas and betas sometime before finishing the twilight stages, so I'm all for the game coming out at this point.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Chachi posted:

He's a lore enthusiast that doesn't insist upon himself - his fans insist for him. Don't blame people like Vaati or ENB for running away with the narrative, that's entirely the fault of their youtube cults.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
February's going to be a very good for games set in Japan. I didn't beat any of the Twilight stages (I started the twilight fishing village but couldn't even make it to the first shortcut) but I'm looking forward to having more stages to explore and and get beefy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

February 2017 has the potential to be a legendary release month if nioh, for honor, persona 5, Horizon zero dawn, nier automata, and more are all as good as they look

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nier Automata only releases in Japan in February unfortunately, the NA release will be later in 2017.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

Nier Automata only releases in Japan in February unfortunately, the NA release will be later in 2017.

crap

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Real hurthling! posted:

February 2017 has the potential to be a legendary release month if nioh, for honor, persona 5, Horizon zero dawn, nier automata, and more are all as good as they look

Truly, a Bloody Valentine's.

I haven't seen For Honor yet, but I bought a PS4 for two games: Bloodborne and Persona 5.

Horizon: ZD and Nioh are simply frosted roses on a beautiful gaming cake.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

for honor is like nioh but with vikings and knights as well as samurai and a chivalry type thing going on but ubisoft is making it so it might just be a pile of hot rear end who knows.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Real hurthling! posted:

ubisoft is making it

Well, there goes the last shred of interest.

What are the chances that we'll see Musashi Miyamoto in this game? Seems like the kind of thing that might happen since we already got the Muneshige duel.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Literally 100%.

Also For Honor and Horizon both look really bad, but good luck.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Real hurthling! posted:

for honor is like nioh

I stopped reading there, skimmed for an "/s", failed to find it and concluded you have no idea what you're talking about.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij8XGhTp7_Q

I'm down, I'm ready.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sounds like Liam O'Brien is voicing the villain dude which is great. I guess they're doing a Souls-style thing where there's just the one dub? Though here characters will speak English and/or Japanese as is appropriate it seems. Which is neat.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
William doesn't understand Japanese at the start of the game. It's part of the story which characters speak which language at which time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Belzac posted:

Literally 100%.

Also For Honor and Horizon both look really bad, but good luck.

Why do you think they look bad? Or is it just "Ubisoft lol"?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RatHat posted:

Why do you think they look bad? Or is it just "Ubisoft lol"?

There's a beta (alpha?) out for For Honor and while I'm not in it, I've only heard bad impressions

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
For Honor has a silly premise and a baffling jumble of genres. Samurai vs. Knights vs. Vikings in a Dark Souls Dynasty Warriors Fighting Game. Too much going on, looks pretty though.

Horizion looks like a bog standard open worldish action game with a protagonist that won't stop talking. Visually impressive but just not interesting in the gameplay to try it out.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yuki-onna spotted!

Also I like how the villain has his own spirit guardian.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
This is a perfect time for everyone who hasn't already to read James Clavell's Shogun. It probably won't have much to do with the plot of the game outside of "an Englishman washes up on Japanese shores in 1600" but it's a good primer (a loving long primer) on Japanese culture around the time of the game. I imagine more than a few people in this thread have already read it and will be happy to say that no, you don't need to read it, but it's a long wait until February and it's never a bad time to read a book.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like Shogun but Clavell's opinions on Japanese culture of the era were coloured by his time in a POW camp and should not be taken as gospel

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Belzac posted:

For Honor has a silly premise and a baffling jumble of genres. Samurai vs. Knights vs. Vikings in a Dark Souls Dynasty Warriors Fighting Game. Too much going on, looks pretty though.

For Honor stuff:

Essentially (I am very broadly paraphrasing from a couple interviews here) Ubisoft wants to make a game sort of in the super-genre of multiplayer arena games which to this point have mostly been shooters - your CoD, your Halo, your Overwatch, so on; but having it with a medieval aesthetic and hand-to-hand combat instead of guns.

I mean if you want the key point here, despite there going to be a single-player campaign with a story all the alpha and beta early stuff that people have actually played is a domination-style multiplayer format. It looks good and plays pretty well and they've been making changes in response to player input and criticism, but it's a different genre from Souls games entirely.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Couldn't you just play Chivalry though? Or Mount and Blade?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Belzac posted:

Couldn't you just play Chivalry though? Or Mount and Blade?

why play toukiden when you could just play monster hunter

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i hope magoichi saika(s?) is/are in the game

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Emalde posted:

why play toukiden when you could just play monster hunter

I have inverse opinions about PvP games that I do about PvE games.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Davincie posted:

i hope magoichi saika(s?) is/are in the game

I had his rifle in the beta, so probably hopefully?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Passburger
May 4, 2013
I wish you'd get a "drat you ingles!" from this guy upon death