Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Captain Rufus posted:

Listen I am cool with idiots spending triple digits on old Videogames and other dorky nonsense. Because I can both mock and exploit dipshits with more money than sense. (Or more likely debt up to their goddamned eyeballs. Aprs are one goddamn Bitchass motherfucker.)

Like Turbo CD Godzilla isn't worth 400+ bucks. It's barely a game worth 20 dollars IMO. poo poo, Panzer Dragoon Saga is a good drat game but it was barely worth the 50 msrp I paid for it. It's maybe a 25 hour long game tops.

I just don't understand the appeal of spending fucktons of money just to have THING when there are equal if not superior things for much cheaper up to and including FREE when it comes to Videogames. (Legal free nonetheless. Even more so if you laugh in the face of copyright law.). Outside of people showing off what's the point? I can only speak for myself but I just want to play and enjoy more fun and interesting games. It would be rad to like, have a complete us SMS collection but I'm not paying 80-120 bucks for a complete in box ALF. Or 2-3 times that for Buster Douglas Boxing. Especially in the latter case when the renamed UK version cost me like 15 shipped from the UK and I beat the drat thing in less than an hour the first time I played it.

But poo poo, some of y'all that do love to drop fat stacks chime in. Help me understand why you do what you do. Illuminate me. I still probably won't agree but I would love to at least understand.

listen, here's some perspective : people are gonna spend their money on things they like, and they may like those things for all kinds of reasons, but you're not a loving prole for yelling about someone else buy a $400 game that you're mad is out of your price range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I paid for Magic Engine years ago and I'm OK with it.

Same. And I actually won a Japanese import copy of Dungeon Explorer 2 thru their monthly contest many years ago so in essence it paid for itself.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Kid Fenris posted:

I buy old video games as investments, maintaining a portfolio heavily titled toward reliable PC Engine shooters and Super NES RPG gains, though I'm looking to diversify with xz riskier Neo Geo Pocket Color rarities should SNK nostalgia maintain its upward trend.

Seriously, it would not surprise me if some collectors were snatching up pricey games in the hopes that they'll get even pricier. Several years ago a story circulated about some nut trying to buy every copy of Magical Chase. If said nut had spent $300 on each Magical Chase, those games would be worth, what, six times as much today?
This just appeared on my facespace in some video game group.

https://i.imgur.com/KAl41fM.jpg

Bubble bubble bubble

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I think the prices people are paying for old video games are super dumb but it's not preventing me from playing them on my hardware so I have stopped caring, it's more fun to laugh at them than to get righteously mad about it

e: also yes magic engine is the best PCE emulator if you happen to come acorss a version that mysteriously doesn't have a timer

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Speaking of turbo stuff, db-elec is putting more db-grafx boosters (modless rgb/svideo/composite) for sale tomorrow 4pm EST. Mine works great, totally worth it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caitlin posted:

lol "bougies"

also, I loathe the character design in FFIX. they all look like they have encephalitis.

It's not hard to see why it is the way it is at least. FFIX is has always openly been a homage to the very early Final Fantasies, and the character models are just NES/SNES character sprites in 3D to go with it.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Caitlin posted:

listen, here's some perspective : people are gonna spend their money on things they like, and they may like those things for all kinds of reasons, but you're not a loving prole for yelling about someone else buy a $400 game that you're mad is out of your price range

Try reading. I own said 400 dollar game I paid like 30 or so from Turbo Zone Direct. I find it insane that it's worth that having owned it since the late 90s and am trying to at least understand why someone would pay that much. BECAUSE doesn't help much.

On the other hand meh game could help pay off some appliances that do poo poo in my house. drat thing costs as much as a hot water heater or washing machine.

Which is pretty :getin: I suppose.

Edit: vvvvv. The collector in me is raging at your Sega CD photos. I know SCD cases aren't the smallest or most reliable things but.. IT HURTS ME. Vvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 16, 2016

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Someone mentioned to pop in after I went through the rest of my SegaCD collection. Have way less than I thought but eh, check it out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790364

PS: Know of any large online communities who would be interested in rare/CIB/mint DOS & Windows games? I think Abandonia was the only other forum I advertised on before other than here.

fishmech posted:

I might be interested in some, but I'd need to see your list.
Cool, I'll PM you a heads up once I get everything together. Wish I could find my latest list because it would save me a TON of time availability-wise.

EDIT: Ton of repricing work to do but think I found it. Sent you a PM.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 16, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Joe Man posted:

Someone mentioned to pop in after I went through the rest of my SegaCD collection. Have way less than I thought but eh, check it out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790364

PS: Know of any large online communities who would be interested in rare/CIB/mint DOS & Windows games? I think Abandonia was the only other forum I advertised on before other than here.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fishmech posted:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

Cool, I'll PM you a heads up once I get everything together. Wish I could find my latest list because it would save me a TON of time availability-wise.

EDIT: Ton of repricing work to do but think I found it. Sent you a PM.

I regret not buying Alisia Dragoon from you years ago before it decided to start climbing in price.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

azurite posted:

Mednafen. You can either get Mednafen itself, Retroarch, or Bizhawk. They all include it.
I'm surprised the PCE emulation discussion continued after this post by discussing some ancient piece of deliberately-hobbled shareware in any level of depth beyond "lmbo".

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Ambitious Spider posted:

I regret not buying Alisia Dragoon from you years ago before it decided to start climbing in price.
I looked at the current price of Chuck Rock II CIB and I cried inside.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Another point on Mednafen: Last month they released their own Saturn emulator out of nowhere, and it's rapidly improving.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Random Stranger posted:

On the subject of terrible RPG's, I got the stupid idea to actually finish Final Fantasy 8.

Goddamn, it is so badly written and nonsensical while trying to be serious and it's all so dragged out. I mean I should have expected that, but it's been seven or eight years since I played a Final Fantasy game.

Zell and Triple Triad still owned so much though so I'll give its try-harding a pass.

falz posted:

This just appeared on my facespace in some video game group.

https://i.imgur.com/KAl41fM.jpg

Bubble bubble bubble

I was hoping this would be some kind of Bubble Bobble related post. Speaking of Bubble Bobble:

Not mine sadly, but if I was going to get anything video game realted inked on me the Bubble Bobble purple whale is pretty drat cool. Of all the crappy gamer tats I've seen this one at least translates pretty well to skin.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Tyson Tomko posted:

I was hoping this would be some kind of Bubble Bobble related post. Speaking of Bubble Bobble:

Not mine sadly, but if I was going to get anything video game realted inked on me the Bubble Bobble purple whale is pretty drat cool. Of all the crappy gamer tats I've seen this one at least translates pretty well to skin.

Lookout! Baron von Blubba is after you! That's not too terrible as far as video game tats go. I don't think I could ever sport one though :sweatdrop:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The Kins posted:

I'm surprised the PCE emulation discussion continued after this post by discussing some ancient piece of deliberately-hobbled shareware in any level of depth beyond "lmbo".

Magic Engine does have an overclocking feature you can use to combat slowdown. It turns the port of Gradius from unplayable mess to awesome. BizHawk doesn't have this, dunno about the other emus.

Other than that, yeah, don't use Magic Engine. There are better, free solutions available.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

azurite posted:

Another point on Mednafen: Last month they released their own Saturn emulator out of nowhere, and it's rapidly improving.

whaaaaaaaat :stare:

That's awesome.

... awww, no android. Was hoping to fire it up on my Shield TV.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Code Jockey posted:

whaaaaaaaat :stare:

That's awesome.

... awww, no android. Was hoping to fire it up on my Shield TV.

It might happen soon. A lot of Mednafen cores are in Retroarch. Don't they have Yabause on Android already?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Magic Engine does have an overclocking feature you can use to combat slowdown. It turns the port of Gradius from unplayable mess to awesome. BizHawk doesn't have this, dunno about the other emus.

Other than that, yeah, don't use Magic Engine. There are better, free solutions available.

Better is subjective but if you're not on Windows you have more choices.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

Better is subjective but if you're not on Windows you have more choices.

Emulator accuracy and speed are eminently measurable. Magic Engine is simply old and busted in comparison to other ones that happen to also not cost money.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Is there actually an acceptable PC FX emulator out there?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Doesn't Magic Engine also do PCFX in the registered version?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Elliotw2 posted:

Doesn't Magic Engine also do PCFX in the registered version?

It's a separate emulator with a separate price (or combo price if you buy both).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Saoshyant posted:

Mednafen has a great PC-FX core, and you can also use that in RetroArch.

In general when you're on the lookout for a great emulator for a system, check this page: http://nonmame.retrogames.com/

It only gets updated every few months, but emulator info doesn't tend to change that much.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is there a recommended site or friendly goon that flashes roms onto famicom carts? I picked up a copy of Lagrange Point and I'd like to have the english patch applied.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SnatchRabbit posted:

Is there a recommended site or friendly goon that flashes roms onto famicom carts? I picked up a copy of Lagrange Point and I'd like to have the english patch applied.

http://www.nesreproductions.com

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Saoshyant posted:

... or do what I did, hemorrhage money on a real PC-FX because it's like an adorable baby PC tower :kimchi:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

As someone who just uses emulators to quickly check stuff out and never for serious play, I've never bothered with multisystem emulators and don't really care about super accuracy, etc. Stuff like retroarch and bizhawk just seems like a hassle to set up for someone who isn't really passionate about emulation or setting up a HTPC type thing to connect to a TV. Basically I like Magic Engine because it's got a nice interface and I've been using it for a million years, but I'll be the first to admit it's a dumb thing to pay for and is not "the best". When it comes to a lot of software I like sticking to what I know if it works for me and if there is no security issue with still running it. Obviously I'd be looking for something better if I started noticing glaring flaws in it's emulation but I really haven't, it seems great to me :shrug:

edit: I also still run ZSNES :twisted:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I miss the days of running individual emulators on my PC sometimes. I feel like... I dunno, I committed more to games then. Playing on my Vita or Shield or whatever, I don't find myself getting sucked into games for hours like I used to at the PC. Also, I like having everything in one place with retroarch, but lord is the interface not good. I know I can replace the UI, but :effort:

I really do miss the old interface for Nesticle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nesticle owned and it has been all downhill since

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I dunno.. the multi system emulators are great and provide some ease of use but libretro is a piece of poo poo and they need to fix their stupid integer scaling that can't scale past 1x outside of x86. (Idk if x86 scales I'm assuming it works here.) But if I wanted to play a retro system in a window smaller than a windows icon I'd probably just stick to emulation on windows 98.

The menu has at least improved dramatically since the last time I complained here and I believe a dev reads this thread but it looks like absolute poo poo on both 3ds and vita

flyboi fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 17, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It works like poo poo in the devices where you need it to work well the most, I.e. 3ds and vita. There are no other options besides retro arch on them for many consoles.

If a dev reads this, please unfuck retroarch on the 3ds and vita please

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It works like poo poo in the devices where you need it to work well the most, I.e. 3ds and vita. There are no other options besides retro arch on them for many consoles.

If a dev reads this, please unfuck retroarch on the 3ds and vita please

Yes I would like to load my save games on vita!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

Stuff like retroarch and bizhawk just seems like a hassle to set up for someone who isn't really passionate about emulation or setting up a HTPC type thing to connect to a TV.

I've never used Retroarch, but BizHawk requires no effort - run the EXE, feed it a ROM, any ROM or ISO from a system it supports, and it knows what it is and loads the correct core and a core-specific menu usually appears at the top. Hotkeys, blitters, sync options, scaling and the like are global and used between cores.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hell yeah, Thunder Force III is getting the 3D treatment from M2! Coming to the newest 3DS collection of Sega classics, hopefully not Japanese exclusive.

fishmech posted:

Mednafen has a great PC-FX core, and you can also use that in RetroArch.

Awesome. Pretty ladies from the Pia Carrot inn, I'm comi-- I'll be right there.

Code Jockey posted:

... or do what I did, hemorrhage money on a real PC-FX because it's like an adorable baby PC tower :kimchi:

How much money are we talking here, actually?

d0s posted:

edit: I also still run ZSNES :twisted:

:barf:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 17, 2016

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
I'm surprised that Magic Engine is still around and still being charged. How come they haven't been sued or dmca'ed at this point by... whoever owns the rights to PC Engine/TG-16?

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I had a friend tell me Metal Slug was a better game than Super Mario World. He even had the balls to say they were both platformers.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

How much money are we talking here, actually?

Around 200-300€ depending on condition and stuff included, according to ebay. What are the notable exclusives and better ports on the PC FX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Saoshyant posted:

Hell yeah, Thunder Force III is getting the 3D treatment from M2! Coming to the newest 3DS collection of Sega classics, hopefully not Japanese exclusive.

They apparently acquired rights to TechnoSoft IP which is awesome.

http://segabits.com/blog/2016/09/17/sega-announces-acquisition-of-technosofts-ips/

• Locked thread