Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Got a source for me (or mama spank)? I love Booster/Beetle, and J'onn's obsession with Chocos never gets old for me.

Martian Manhunter (vol 2) #24 from 2000. An amazing issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

That being said, it kind of is starting to turn already. I did not like #6 at all, I mean what fan is going to be stupid enough to try and kill someone to impress Spider-Man!?

Edit: Hell, and while I'm at it, what's with the lame-rear end copout that she didn't feel bad killing that dude because he's just a b-list character. She got so bent out of shape when "her" b-list character died that she asked frikkin' Dr. Strange to revive him, yet now she suddenly doesn't care about anyone that's not a hero? Hell, her entire argument for suspecting the dude was "he traveled universes with you, therefore he's important" but she immediately goes straight into "let's kill him because he's unimportant". It's so schizophrenic, it really rubbed me the wrong way.

I think you could probably handwave it as her being a hypocrite. "He's important to me so he's not really a b-list. What? The other guy has a life? Well, he's a b-lister who cares.

If Gwenpool is actually going anywhere emotionally, they'll probably have her learn that her behavior is kind of lovely.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 16, 2016

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Still enjoying Mockingbird a heck of a lot (#7).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure the FF knew his identity for awhile before Civil War, all the New Avengers knew it from pretty much the start, and historically he's been closer to the FF.

Nope this was the time when Johnny found out.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

"Wheeee!"

FFFFFKKKKKRRRRRSSSSS

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Nope this was the time when Johnny found out.

Huh, you're probably right, i would have assumed they knew his identity at least as early as when they removed the symbiote from him, but I just looked at the issue and I was wrong

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wait a goddamned minute...is...is that a Santa Claus Conquers the Martians reference?! :aaaaa:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Wait a goddamned minute...is...is that a Santa Claus Conquers the Martians reference?! :aaaaa:

https://youtu.be/ut-hn7sFieE?t=40m44s
Yes, I think it is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm not seeing it, it just seems like a generic robot.

WITH DRUMSTICKS.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SynthOrange posted:

I'm not seeing it, it just seems like a generic robot.

WITH DRUMSTICKS.

The robot in SCCTM is named Torg and the bad guy is Voltar, it could still be a coincidence, calling a robot "Volt(some random syllable) was a fairly common naming scheme, but it'd be a big one.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Captain Bravo posted:

Well, once nice thing about Gwenpool is that it's a series with a built-in expiration date. Once the next big thing comes along and shakes everything up, she's effectively out. RIght now she's coasting by solely on the fact that she knows all these "secrets", but comic book secrets only stay that way for a year or two. Her very premise only works with the status quo, so the author would have to be a complete moron to try and extend things past one short run.

That being said, it kind of is starting to turn already. I did not like #6 at all, I mean what fan is going to be stupid enough to try and kill someone to impress Spider-Man!?

Edit: Hell, and while I'm at it, what's with the lame-rear end copout that she didn't feel bad killing that dude because he's just a b-list character. She got so bent out of shape when "her" b-list character died that she asked frikkin' Dr. Strange to revive him, yet now she suddenly doesn't care about anyone that's not a hero? Hell, her entire argument for suspecting the dude was "he traveled universes with you, therefore he's important" but she immediately goes straight into "let's kill him because he's unimportant". It's so schizophrenic, it really rubbed me the wrong way.

There's two bits of logic here, both based on her idea that this is a fake comic book world that isn't real.

1) If some minor bomber character shows up pre and post secret wars it's obviously so the writer can finish the plot because he's important to the writer.

2) From Gwen's point of view everyone is fake and not a real person so it doesn't really matter if they die unless they're important to her. They're not real people so what does it matter if they die? No writer would use the bomber's character again anyway.

Neither of those were an issue for me. What struck me as more out of character is that this supposed comic fan thought "I know what will be a good idea, trying to kill someone directly in front of Spider-man! Why would he possibly object?"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Right, as I said in my first spoiler that was the big schism for me. I just think it's kind of hackneyed to try and shoehorn in a "Gwen needs to learn the true power of friendship and understand that these living, breathing people are actually people" message when the first 5 issues gave us multiple examples of Gwen empathizing, connecting, and respecting the innate humanity of dozens of people who apparently she now just... doesn't. And with no good reason given for why.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Bravo posted:

Right, as I said in my first spoiler that was the big schism for me. I just think it's kind of hackneyed to try and shoehorn in a "Gwen needs to learn the true power of friendship and understand that these living, breathing people are actually people" message when the first 5 issues gave us multiple examples of Gwen empathizing, connecting, and respecting the innate humanity of dozens of people who apparently she now just... doesn't. And with no good reason given for why.

Sometimes it takes people a lot of lessons before they really for real learn something.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

team overhead smash posted:

Neither of those were an issue for me. What struck me as more out of character is that this supposed comic fan thought "I know what will be a good idea, trying to kill someone directly in front of Spider-man! Why would he possibly object?"

Could she have thought he was still Otto?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Funnily enough the latest Gwenpool arc is actually narratively identical to a Civil War tie-in, it's just the information came from Gwenpool's knowledge of the narrative instead of from the walking plot contrivance.

Avulsion posted:

Could she have thought he was still Otto?

We're talking about Miles here so no.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Captain Bravo posted:

Seems pretty in keeping to me. In Issue 2 she was also happy to blow that dude up with a rocket launcher, then in 3-4 she didn't really interact with normal or bit-characters again until this storyline started in issue 5.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Alright, I admit that maybe I'm a little off-base with how much gwenpool cares about comic book character's lives. But you can't dispute that the "attempted murder" thing was anything other than complete idiocy.

She is one of Spider-Man's biggest fan, and thinks that she will be able to convince him murder is A-ok. It's just dumb. I can buy her trying to kill the dude on her own, or "helping" spidey catch him and then getting caught trying to off him herself, but she basically pops out in front of Miles with a gun and says "I'm gonna shoot this dude now, we cool?"

Even going by her narrative logic, when have any Spider-Men ever liked The Punisher? Much less approved of him.

Edit: poo poo, yeah, I just looked at the first issue again and I completely forgot that she straight up tries to murder Howard the first time she meets them so I'm just completely talking out of my rear end with the "gwenpool respects life" thing ain't I? :negative:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 16, 2016

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm thinking Gwen's basically what you get if you dump Wicked Hate in the MU.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sentinel Red posted:

I would read this series.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sentinel Red posted:

She'd spend five issues arguing with Captain America about how great fascism is. Hell maybe this will be the explanation behind Hydra Cap. A teenager from another dimension convinced him it was rad to subjugate people if you're a nice enough person.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WickedHate posted:

She could be going insane.

This is probably the case, considering how she starts breaking down in denial here.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Skwirl posted:

The robot in SCCTM is named Torg and the bad guy is Voltar, it could still be a coincidence, calling a robot "Volt(some random syllable) was a fairly common naming scheme, but it'd be a big one.

There's also the fact that one of the most famous lines in SCCTM is "Nothing can stop Torg!", which is pretty friggin close to the title there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sentinel Red posted:

That kid she was going to shoot was clearly DT.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Wade Wilson posted:

This is probably the case, considering how she starts breaking down in denial here.

Spider-Man consistently owns bones

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's a really excellent page. i hadn't seen much I liked of Gwenpool but that one sells it pretty hard to me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

Even going by her narrative logic, when have any Spider-Men ever liked The Punisher? Much less approved of him.

tbf, Spider-Man works with Punisher (and Deadpool, another character who uses guns and kills people) a lot due to the power of popularity moving sales.

But really you're putting too much thought into this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like them selling how freakin strong Miles and Peter are with Gwen whining about how he didn't pull his punches.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad guys don't cou-

Sentinel Red posted:

drat it. But you're not wrong.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gwenpool is basically a kid playing a video game; she doesn't care about the character's unless she has time to get to know them and they are decently written, and "badguys" are supposed to be canon fodder. She also doesn't expect any real consequences for her actions, assuming the narrative will twist to allow whatever she wants to do in the moment. She's slowly learning that is not the case.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It would gently caress me up so bad if I got dumped in the Marvel universe. I'd have to start hating Jonah and being scared shitless of Eddie Brock.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

It would gently caress me up so bad if I got dumped in the Marvel universe. I'd have to start hating Jonah and being scared shitless of Eddie Brock.

You mean if you got dumped in the Marvel universe New York. If I ended up living in the same place I do now but just the Marvel Universe version I think (hope?) things would basically remain the same.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lobok posted:

You mean if you got dumped in the Marvel universe New York. If I ended up living in the same place I do now but just the Marvel Universe version I think (hope?) things would basically remain the same.

You could end up getting blown up in an event comic with the rest of your town.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's even worse. Do you know how hosed up and evil the Marvel Canadian Government is?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I live in loving Oklahoma so I guess I'd be chilling with the Asgardians.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure in the Marvel Universe the rest of America is a shrunken husk wrapped around a gigantic version of NYC anyway. If you live in another state you would just get assigned an apartment there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'd have to deal with my boss boxing Tony Stark every week, and telling off Alpha Flight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

That's even worse. Do you know how hosed up and evil the Marvel Canadian Government is?

I always hear that but other than Weapon X what else is it?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I remember in the early days of the Hickman avengers run, there was a casual mention of Regina, Saskatchewan being destroyed and it actually made the paper along with that issue being impossible to find.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I live in Rhode Island; the only Marvel character from here is apparently "Doctor Natas.

On the plus side, in the DCU we're where the JLA first started working, so there's that I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

I always hear that but other than Weapon X what else is it?

They've had the registration act forever, they got taken over by evil aliens like 3 times, they militarize all their superheroes, etc.

And Weapon X is kind of a big evil thing to have!