Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Moochewmoo posted:

So I'm looking for a really good screen protector once I can repurchase my IED of a phone the Note 7. I got the zagg protector with an otterbox case and the case immediately peeled off the protector. I also would totally check out cases but really the otterbox seemed fine.

http://www.xtremeguard.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7-Screen-Protector-p/galaxy_note_7_screen_protector.htm

Add both the glass screen protector and the "hi-def" one to your cart then use coupon code 'super92' to bring the price down to $3. The code requires you to purchase two items. Just throw that hi-def protector away when you get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Hahaha in an airport and just heard them ask everyone with a note 7 to turn it off.

Like, I knew it was happening, but hearing it first hand is so much funnier.

People planning to get replacements: why? Is your thought process "they'll get it right next time"? It's been like a million next times. They don't make good phones.

No, see it's just a freak occurrence, could've happened to any manufacturer, like when ________ or ________ had a recall of their premium flagship after it blew up numerous times.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

My day with a nexus 5 means I really want a phone that size again :sigh:

I took out my wife's old Nexus S to use as an IP camera and... drat. Feels about perfect in the hand. Unusable with how slow it is, even with a clean Android install, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shrug. Why do I like the color purple? I just do. I can say that I like Android, don't want to deal with Google hardware, and like the touch and feel of the Note 7, and somebody will try to refute all of those points. I think the tradeoffs for Samsung are fine; my husband's and my previoius phones both lasted for over three years, and that's good enough for me.

I have no idea why the CPSC is allowing replacement of Note 7s unless the actual phone is stamped in some way to show it's the improved version. Airplanes are still going to ban them onboard because there are idiots who'll never get around to recalling them.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

sirbeefalot posted:

I took out my wife's old Nexus S to use as an IP camera and... drat. Feels about perfect in the hand. Unusable with how slow it is, even with a clean Android install, though.

The Nexus S was pretty much unusable with anything after ICS. I still have mine, it was a great device but it literally can't do anything anymore.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Hahaha in an airport and just heard them ask everyone with a note 7 to turn it off.

Like, I knew it was happening, but hearing it first hand is so much funnier.

People planning to get replacements: why? Is your thought process "they'll get it right next time"? It's been like a million next times. They don't make good phones.

With the exception of stock Android, it's a better phone than the 6P :shrug: Did you similarly freak out when the Tesla battery fires happened, or the Apple wall charger recalls, etc?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I think people are a little unfair to Samsung on this issue. I can see this battery thing happening to any company out there.

I mean, I still feel like their software is a garbage fire, but on this particular issue some people are a little over the top.

Generally speaking, Samsung's hardware is usually top-notch on their flagship devices.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I have a Nexus 5x and I love stock Nougat so far. The adaptive display is much better than the 6p on Marshmallow. I can nudge the 5x and it'll activate rather than having to pick the phone up at a 45 degree angle. There have been a couple of terrible bugs that have worked themselves out but stock Android is nice.

The camera feels faster overall though you can't take an HDR photo while 2 are processing. It's better than the HTC 10's as everything is in focus most of the time. There's no manual mode which is weird but photos are good enough to where I don't really need it.

The phone does get bogged down once in awhile and the animations will start lagging. Apps can sometimes take a bit of time to load up. Obviously not as swift as the Axon 7, which is the smoothest phone I've tried out so far. It's fine though.

The build quality certainly isn't great by 2016 standards. It's creaky as hell. The buttons aren't as terrible as the 6p but I'm still triggering the power button when I put my phone in my pants. Hopefully a case will sort that out.

The main problem is the goddamn battery life. I've had it for 2 days so I'm not going to freak out yet since the phone could still be sorting itself out but yesterday I tried to use it normally (podcasts over Bluetooth during work hours) and it ended up going from 80% to 30% 3 times. I hope I don't end up having to tape an external charger to the back or something because it's like SGS3 levels of bad right now. It's also bigger than the Turbo 1 and almost as big as the Axon 7 but with a much smaller battery??

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 16, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The perfect phone for me right now would be the Note 7 hardware with stock Android. I really wish they'd bring back Google Play Edition devices.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have no idea why the CPSC is allowing replacement of Note 7s unless the actual phone is stamped in some way to show it's the improved version. Airplanes are still going to ban them onboard because there are idiots who'll never get around to recalling them.

Apparently the battery icon of the nonless explodey model will be green.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

I think people are a little unfair to Samsung on this issue. I can see this battery thing happening to any company out there.

It's not so much that the issue happened, it's how it's been handled.

1) Samsung's inability to narrow down which devices are affected. Even if they ultimately want to exchange them all to be really sure, they should be able to give a more narrow answer than 0.05℅ of 2.5 million devices. Beyond the issues it's causing the consumer, it's going cost the company billions of dollars because they don't have tighter supply chain management.

2) Samsung is relying on the carriers in the US to handle both messaging and device exchange. There's been numerous cases of people going to carrier stores only to be told they know nothing of the recall. Some are giving out loaner devices, some are only allowing exchanges or returns. If someone does an exchange, they have no way of knowing if they will be able to exchange again to regain a Note 7 because it's not clear if replacement supplies will arrive in enough time for another exchange. This gives incentive to just hold on to the device until replacements come in. As more time passes and their phone doesn't blow up, they feel there is less risk associated with keeping it. Even if their phone is safe, having a recalled device in the wild causes issues for all Note 7 users since the model as a whole stays untrusted.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Shrug. Why do I like the color purple? I just do. I can say that I like Android, don't want to deal with Google hardware, and like the touch and feel of the Note 7, and somebody will try to refute all of those points. I think the tradeoffs for Samsung are fine; my husband's and my previoius phones both lasted for over three years, and that's good enough for me.

There is a stamp for an improved version. It's a non-Samsung manufacturer logo :v:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

1) Samsung's inability to narrow down which devices are affected. Even if they ultimately want to exchange them all to be really sure, they should be able to give a more narrow answer than 0.05℅ of 2.5 million devices. Beyond the issues it's causing the consumer, it's going cost the company billions of dollars because they don't have tighter supply chain management.

2) Samsung is relying on the carriers in the US to handle both messaging and device exchange. There's been numerous cases of people going to carrier stores only to be told they know nothing of the recall. Some are giving out loaner devices, some are only allowing exchanges or returns. If someone does an exchange, they have no way of knowing if they will be able to exchange again to regain a Note 7 because it's not clear if replacement supplies will arrive in enough time for another exchange. This gives incentive to just hold on to the device until replacements come in. As more time passes and their phone doesn't blow up, they feel there is less risk associated with keeping it. Even if their phone is safe, having a recalled device in the wild causes issues for all Note 7 users since the model as a whole stays untrusted.

1) All Note 7s are being replaced. They have an IMEI database you can use to look up affected phones. Good ones will have a sticker on the box. And, good phones will have a different battery indicator: http://www.droid-life.com/2016/09/16/fyi-safe-galaxy-note-7-devices-will-green-battery-indicator-instead-white/

What else do you want them to do?

2) That's a USA problem, not a Samsung problem. It's being handled directly by Samsung in Canada, and in a very excellent and prompt manner with good communication.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CLAM DOWN posted:

1) All Note 7s are being replaced. They have an IMEI database you can use to look up affected phones. Good ones will have a sticker on the box. And, good phones will have a different battery indicator: http://www.droid-life.com/2016/09/16/fyi-safe-galaxy-note-7-devices-will-green-battery-indicator-instead-white/

I wanted them to coordinate with the carriers early on, so that there was a standard policy about exchanges. Each carrier told a different story, and it was maddening.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wtf

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

2) That's a USA problem, not a Samsung problem. It's being handled directly by Samsung in Canada, and in a very excellent and prompt manner with good communication.

1) They should have had better tracking of which components went into which phones. That's like manufacturing 101 to prevent this very issue. The fact that they were able to fire a battery supplier right after this happened points to multiple manufacturers already in use in existing Note 7 (China's ATL is a battery supplier along with Samsung SDI.) The fact that they can't provide the IMEIs of devices known to be manufactured with Samsung SDI batteries is a failure of process and doing so would have allowed them to prioritize the recall to those at high risk first.

2) You can handwave it as a USA only issue, but Samsung doesn't have to go through carriers exclusively to handle this recall, they can do it directly. They are choosing to do so because it lowers their burden, but that means it's not being handled consistently across the board That absolutely is a Samsung problem because they have chosen to take that approach.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whoops, wasn't looking close enough at my keyboard. When you switch to symbols on Google's keyboard, the thumb naturally obscures the % symbol since it's next to the toggle button and I just spotted something that looked like % on first glance.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

1) They should have had better tracking of which components went into which phones. That's like manufacturing 101 to prevent this very issue. The fact that they were able to fire a battery supplier right after this happened points to multiple manufacturers already in use in existing Note 7 (China's ATL is a battery supplier along with Samsung SDI.) The fact that they can't provide the IMEIs of devices known to be manufactured with Samsung SDI batteries is a failure of process and doing so would have allowed them to prioritize the recall to those at high risk first.

2) You can handwave it as a USA only issue, but Samsung doesn't have to go through carriers exclusively to handle this recall, they can do it directly. They are choosing to do so because it lowers their burden, but that means it's not being handled consistently across the board That absolutely is a Samsung problem because they have chosen to take that approach.

1) While I agree, the fact they're just replacing all phones is much easier than doing a selective recall. Just imagine the annoyance and bad press (even more than right now) if it was just for specific phones that you had to check then deal with.

2) It's absolutely a USA issue for whatever reason, because like I said, they are indeed bypassing the carriers to handle the recall in Canada, so it's definitely something they're doing. It really does suck for you guys.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I wasn't saying to not do the full recall only that by knowing which were using those batteries they could be a bit more assertive in making sure those were removed from circulation much faster. For example, they wouldn't need as much initial inventory of new devices and could get them in hands faster. This is the way the airbag recall was handled, cars in climates most likely to cause the issue were replaced first.

We will have to disagree on the carrier point. There is no law or contact that says the recall has to be handled though the carrier. In fact, normal warranty work is done direct to manufacturer. Samsung handling the recall this way here is a business decision for them at the detriment of end users. Likely the reason the recall is being handled direct in Canada is simply a matter of volume.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

We will have to disagree on the carrier point. There is no law or contact that says the recall has to be handled though the carrier. In fact, normal warranty work is done direct to manufacturer. Samsung handling the recall this way here is a business decision for them at the detriment of end users. Likely the reason the recall is being handled direct in Canada is simply a matter of volume.

That's actually fair and probably correct. Canadian Note 7 volume would definitely be waaaaaaaaaay less than the US, although I'm sure of exact numbers. I'm comparing my experience because this is showing me that when they cut around the carriers, Samsung is handling this really well. If they went through Rogers, which is a pile of hot steaming garbage, I'm sure it would have been an awful time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

uPen posted:

This is going to be like that chipotle thing where we have random reports of people getting sick/phones blowing up for the next 6 months.

I expect a lot of insurance claims on assets (cars/mortgaged homes) burning down. :tinfoil:

Since Apple is proving the adage that the S model is still the only one worth getting out of their products, does anyone know if the Pixels will have water and dust resistance?
It's actually applicable to my job, where I'm allowed to use my phone to listen to my own music all day.
I haven't quite psyched myself up for a Sarnsung'ing yet.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 16, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
This man seems like a straight shooter. I have faith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmlhG1YpLbk

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

With the exception of stock Android, it's a better phone than the 6P :shrug: Did you similarly freak out when the Tesla battery fires happened, or the Apple wall charger recalls, etc?

I wasn't aware of those other recalls. They didn't endanger me enough to warrant an airport disclaimer. Even if I did know about them: I'm not a reporter, I don't have to treat all recalls the same. I bet apple and Tesla handled it a million times better, though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RZA Encryption posted:

I bet apple and Tesla handled it a million times better, though.

Haha. What do you think Samsung should have done differently here, almighty recall master?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is the N image available for the N6 yet?

I can't be bothered to go to androidpolice and honestly no one wants to read another rza post

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Moey posted:

Haha. What do you think Samsung should have done differently here, almighty recall master?

Quality control?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I can't be bothered to go to androidpolice and honestly no one wants to read another rza post

Don't think so. "Coming weeks" as of earlier this week I think.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Not yet, last I read is that it's "coming in the next few weeks". Just checked the official images site and it's not there yet.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
drat

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You can get the release candidate by opting into the beta channel if you want.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

As of today, AT&T should be able to replace your Note7 with a debombed Note7 on 9/21.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Surprising no one, Xiaomi phones send back private info to central servers and can remotely overwrite any app with their own version.
https://boingboing.net/2016/09/16/xiaomi-phones-are-pre-backdoor.html

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Uthor posted:

Surprising no one, Xiaomi phones send back private info to central servers and can remotely overwrite any app with their own version.
https://boingboing.net/2016/09/16/xiaomi-phones-are-pre-backdoor.html

I wonder how absolutely dead obvious this is on their laptops as well.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

CLAM DOWN posted:

1) While I agree, the fact they're just replacing all phones is much easier than doing a selective recall. Just imagine the annoyance and bad press (even more than right now) if it was just for specific phones that you had to check then deal with.

2) It's absolutely a USA issue for whatever reason, because like I said, they are indeed bypassing the carriers to handle the recall in Canada, so it's definitely something they're doing. It really does suck for you guys.

Part of the problem here is that Samsung seems to be a confederation of different entities with each country being a unique snowflake. Apparently it's even more of a poo poo show in Asia: http://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2016/09/07/samsungs-note-7-recall-process-has-been-great-in-the-us-but-terrible-in-asia/#45d0d34d3df3

quote:

As I reported earlier, on the day that Samsung headquarters announced the global recall and immediate halt of sales worldwide, Samsung Hong Kong stores were still selling the phones. It led to a ton of confusion in which Hongkongers were seeing a solemn Samsung boss on TV news announcing a global halt of the Note 7 while stores in the city were still openly selling the phone. It wasn’t until 10pm that night that Samsung Hong Kong issued a statement, in the form of a vague Facebook post, explaining why they kept selling: their batch of phones were unaffected, because Hong Kong’s Note 7 variants used a different battery supplier.

Only that wasn’t exactly true. A day later Samsung Hong Kong again took to Facebook, saying that 500 Hong Kong devices did, in fact, use batteries from the faulty supplier. Five hundred potential explosive Note 7s in a city as densely populated as Hong Kong, and Samsung HK announced the news through Facebook. The company then put up a page that allows Hong Kong Note 7 owners to check their device’s IMEI numbers to see if their phone is safe. This IMEI search is limited only to Hong Kong phones, but Samsung HK didn’t make this clear, and the link soon spread online, leading to people from the U.S. and UK searching in a database that doesn’t include their devices. Needless to say, there was a lot of confusion on Hong Kong web forums such as Discuss.hk and U.S. ones like XDA.

Moey posted:

Coordinated with the appropriate regulatory agency correctly and have a functional plan from the beginning with exchanges?

quote:

CPSC Chairman Elliot Kaye suggested the CPSC action was delayed because of the company’s decision to pursue its own global voluntary recall. “As a general matter it’s not a recipe for a successful recall for a company to go out on its own,” he said.

In announcing the recall, however, experts say, the South Korean company neglected to first coordinate with safety authorities in the U.S. According to U.S. law, the CPSC must be notified within 24 hours after a safety risk has been identified, and recall announcements are generally then carried out jointly.

The U.S. agency didn’t issue a statement until Sept. 9, a week after Samsung’s initial announcement.

“This is completely unusual; companies just don’t issue recalls without the CPSC,” says Pamela Gilbert, a partner with Washington’s Cuneo Gilbert & LaDuca LLP and a former executive director of the CPSC.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/samsungs-management-of-recall-wounds-companys-image-1473928872

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah well aside from a literal expert on product recalls stating that Samsung is terrible, what other evidence is there? :rolleyes:

The fact is that Samsung did what they did because they wanted to control and mitigate damage to the company's reputation first and foremost without regard to the end user but Samsung being Samsung they hosed that up entirely. Exactly the kind of company any rational consumer would avoid, but then Samsung users being Samsung users they are accustomed to eating poo poo for breakfast so this is in no way a dealbreaker.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

No, see it's just a freak occurrence, could've happened to any manufacturer, like when ________ or ________ had a recall of their premium flagship after it blew up numerous times.
Ford. Arguably Firestone Tires, if you count blowouts as blowups.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You guys are fooling yourself if you think any company would have been markedly different in how they handled this. I mean, the whole reason we have regulatory agencies is because companies default mode is to deny and obfuscate when it comes to the blame game.

What I'm getting at is that Samsung sucks, but it's in an absolute sense, not in a relative sense. In a relative sense they're somewhere in the band of pretty average.

I mean at least they have the resources to handle the issue. What other Android manufacturer do you think could handle it? I certainly don't have the confidence any of these other companies have the resources to avoid having something like this happen to them other than through not having bad luck much less the much more expensive option of recalling. I'm not sure anyone could and you can certainly bet if it was a Nexus device Google would be doing their damndest to shift the blame and responsibility to their hardware partner.

This would probably bankrupt HTC before they could even finish the recall or at the least people would be getting back devices with the buttons falling off or something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

You guys are fooling yourself if you think any company would have been markedly different in how they handled this. I mean, the whole reason we have regulatory agencies is because companies default mode is to deny and obfuscate when it comes to the blame game.

The Wall Street Journal posted:

“This is completely unusual; companies just don’t issue recalls without the CPSC,” says Pamela Gilbert, a partner with Washington’s Cuneo Gilbert & LaDuca LLP and a former executive director of the CPSC.

So by "any other company" you mean "literally every other company ever, in the history of companies issuing recalls." I mean, only if we're going by the facts of the matter.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

So by "any other company" you mean "literally every other company ever, in the history of companies issuing recalls." I mean, only if we're going by the facts of the matter.

I'm not sure why you think this is a retort to my point. I don't understand you, you don't understand me, or we don't understand each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

LastInLine posted:

But that's not a fact? It's unusual. Not every recall ever done in the history of business has been done through them. What actually changed once they got on board with CSPC for the recall? Verizon already sent out text September second notifying of the recall. What else is to be done in your enlightened opinion?