Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Xenaero posted:

Anyone know of a way to 'trigger' sandstorms?

Sandstorm-specific racial insults? Pssh, like there's any such thing as a real "sandstorm". You people are just siroccos who bred with zephyrs.

(edit) Oh god what a terrible post to start off a new page with I'm so fuckin sorry.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Sheesh making custom music packs for this is hard work.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

Sandstorm-specific racial insults? Pssh, like there's any such thing as a real "sandstorm". You people are just siroccos who bred with zephyrs.

(edit) Oh god what a terrible post to start off a new page with I'm so fuckin sorry.

Piss jar poster poo poo posts in terraria thread with a bad joke: keep posting. Always keep posting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Onyx Blaster is a sexy beast.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Is the new armor post-hardmode throwing armor?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

The mother fuckin trigger meme... nice.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

watho posted:

Is the new armor post-hardmode throwing armor?

No, it's a magic/summoning combo armor roughly on par with the frost set. It has a stationary summon like the stardust set that looks like it'd be good at wrecking the destroyer. 2 of the weapons are early hardmode and the other one is basically an endgame magic weapon.

e: the 4th weapon is one of the earliest autoswing melee weapons.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 10, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

endgame throwing armor would have been cool, but the update is neat regardless

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

endgame throwing armor would have been cool, but the update is neat regardless

They'd need to make endgame throwing weapons to go with it

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

They'd need to make endgame throwing weapons to go with it

Just have the armor bonuses be amazing to compensate. I just want to murder turbo-cthulu with shurikens, ok?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You know as well as the rest of us that any armor bonus too good will get beaten by the nerf stick until it stops whimpering.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
On ranged sets you get ammo conservation bonuses, on throwing sets you get multishot/piercing bonuses

for when you want tons of tiny numbers instead of a few large numbers

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Which seems good until you realize that because of how armor works, and because any given enemy can only be damaged so many times per second before weapons just start passing through, fewer big numbers are objectively better than many small ones.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Forgot how much fun it is to play this game. Starbound 1.0 was fun but it lacks the depth and complexity of this game. gently caress this game's inventory management though, you collect so much poo poo so quickly. Shallow as it was at least Starbound was nice enough to have separate tabs for the thousands of dirt blocks you dig up.

Oh, and gently caress that Potion Sickness debuff as well. I should be able to guzzle as many potions as I want, this game throws so much crap at you and I can't dodge all that bullshit. I think that was the reason I quit playing, the game turned from fun 2d Minecraft/SOTN to some sort of hellish MMO-lite in which the devs nerf anything remotely fun or unbalancing. Shame to see that's the case with Expert Mode.

Then again, Starbound has dulled my Terraria skills a bit. :v:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 15, 2016

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Terraria is a good game. Definitely in my top 10.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Early game expert mode is 'make a boreal bow and frost arrows then spam arrows at everything while getting good at leading bats'.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Early game expert mode is 'make a boreal bow and frost arrows then spam arrows at everything while getting good at leading bats'.

I prefer a big pile of snowballs because knockback.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I've been playing this again with some friends, and decided to go with a magic setup for the first time. I've found out that the Spectre Hood set bonus ( regain health when dealing magic damage ) and the magic cuffs ( regain magic when hurt ) synergize really well! Right now I'm using the pine needle gun as my primary weapon, but are there any better magic weapons I should craft or farm for? What about accessories?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elth posted:

I've been playing this again with some friends, and decided to go with a magic setup for the first time. I've found out that the Spectre Hood set bonus ( regain health when dealing magic damage ) and the magic cuffs ( regain magic when hurt ) synergize really well! Right now I'm using the pine needle gun as my primary weapon, but are there any better magic weapons I should craft or farm for? What about accessories?

The spirit flame from you can get from the new desert mobs is really nice. Both it and the spectre staff are strong homing weapons. A meteor staff or blizzard staff will help cheese the martian invasion, which can drop the laser machine gun (mostly an upgrade to your razorpine) and the charged blaster cannon. With those you should be ready to start the endgame. Both nebula weapons are great, blaze for bosses and arcanum for trash clearing.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
If you can take on Duke Fishron, he drops what is in my opinion the best general use magic weapon, the Razorblade Typhoon. The projectiles are huge, homing, penetrating and bouncing so you can shoot them all willy nilly and still do massive damage.

I also like the Magnet Sphere you get from the dungeon, not as much punch but you can fart one out and switch back to something stronger while it does its thing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The Crimson Rod and Nimbus rod are great mid-tier weapons for farming events and some bosses. Make some tall walls with a roof and throw the clouds outside the walls, enemies will stop on the walls and be withered away by the constant stream of deadly rain.

I farmed for pirate maps and the pirate event by just spamming clouds and minions while afking.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Honestly I find melee and ranged way more convenient. Magic is very powerful but you have to be geared for it and I always seem to run out of mana too quickly. :shrug:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The thing about mana is it regenerates faster when you're almost full, and slower when you're almost empty, so it encourages you to NOT completely empty your tank before letting it regenerate.

Mana regen potions fix that real quick. They boost your mana regen rate to obscene levels, letting you ignore the full/empty regen speed difference. The other key is not to waste accessory slots on mana accessories like the mana flower. Focus on damage instead. More damage means each point of mana you spend goes farther. You will need to take 1-2 second breaks from firing every 20 seconds or so in order to let the mana regen potion kick in, but that's a relatively small downtime, and a small price to pay for getting to use the flashiest weapons in the game.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

What's the best modifier for accessories? I've always put warding on mine since I suck at dodging.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I usually don't bother getting ALL PERFECT modifiers. I'd accept any of +4 defense, +4% damage, or +4% crit rate.

The defense is a decent idea since mana armor tends to be weak. +Damage is always good. I'm not sure exactly how crit damage is calculated. +Crit rate might be better than +damage if crits double damage before applying enemy armor to them. Due to the way armor works in this game,

Vib Rib posted:

fewer big numbers are objectively better than many small ones.
so you might end up averaging more damage per second on long fights (i.e. bosses, the only fights that are worth building against) with a crit build.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
All defense really isn't that good anymore. 20 extra armor is not gonna make that much of a difference in Hardmode. That was pretty much just a 1.1 thing. You're honestly better off with more damage, since mobility options are your best form of defense, and there are more of those in the game. And you want to cut down on how long battles tend to last.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 16, 2016

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
All defense is ok if you're a summoner with two sets of accessories.. one for summoning (all damage).. one for using when you have all your summons summoned (defense).

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ambaire posted:

I just use the starter armor and weapons and dig till I get tons of ore and then stuff and more stuff and then do some stuff and realize my equipment sucks and then do more stuff and then go back and build a wood shack and make some stuff and do more stuff while stuffing some stuff.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

grimcreaper posted:

I just use the starter armor and weapons and dig till I get tons of ore and then stuff and more stuff and then do some stuff and realize my equipment sucks and then do more stuff and then go back and build a wood shack and make some stuff and do more stuff while stuffing some stuff.

Your game is too hot for me. I wouldn't want to play multiplayer with you because it sounds stuffy in there.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

All defense really isn't that good anymore. 20 extra armor is not gonna make that much of a difference in Hardmode. That was pretty much just a 1.1 thing. You're honestly better off with more damage, since mobility options are your best form of defense, and there are more of those in the game. And you want to cut down on how long battles tend to last.
Whelp, I feel dumb. I've been running all-Warding accessories this entire time since 1.1 hardmode. :v:

Though, to be fair, I always run Mage, so making up the defense I lose for being a glass cannon isn't too bad.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How the gently caress do I do damage. I found this Starfury sword in the clouds but its special effect is too slow and just doesn't deal damage the way I need it to in order to conquer the dungeon guardian or the brain of cthulu. I love the space gun for regular mobs but now that I've upgraded from meteor to crimson armor its using mana which I didn't even pick up on before. Thought it was funny it wasn't using any resources or ammo. This is my first go at expert mode.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

codo27 posted:

How the gently caress do I do damage. I found this Starfury sword in the clouds but its special effect is too slow and just doesn't deal damage the way I need it to in order to conquer the dungeon guardian or the brain of cthulu. I love the space gun for regular mobs but now that I've upgraded from meteor to crimson armor its using mana which I didn't even pick up on before. Thought it was funny it wasn't using any resources or ammo. This is my first go at expert mode.
I'm pretty sure that if you don't already know things like that the set effect of meteor armor is making the space gun free you probably shouldn't be playing expert mode. It's quite a bit harder and requires knowledge of things like the game progression and what gear is available if you don't want to die a lot. Not really intended for first time players.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

codo27 posted:

Don't play expert mode for your very first playthrough

It is actually kind of hard if you don't know the game already

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

codo27 posted:

"Don't play on expert your first time" is really the right answer (is that what you meant, or have you run normally before?). However, if you insist on continuing, I'd recommend heading to hell and crafting a set of molten armor and the molten fury, along with a ton of the highest-damaging arrows you can get, not sure what that'd be at that point... hellfire?

Molten armor doesn't provide a ranged bonus but you'll probably want the defense more.

Also, show the guide a bottle of water and look over the available potions. Set up some pots and plants for a potion farm if you haven't already.

Edit: Oh wait, you haven't done Brain yet, either? Whatever ranged weapon you can get from popping hearts in the crimson then, along with potions. You are expected to be running potions.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 16, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Terraria has a lot of game mechanics that you can mostly ignore if you don't want to bother, but that if you exploit and micromanage well allow you to really cheese your way out of the most dangerous situations with ease. Expert mode is there for the munchkins who super-optimize their builds and have the MMO-like reflexes to monitor and renew their collection of buffs constantly.

If you find the game too easy because you can explode the wall of flesh in two seconds with a copper shortsword, then expert mode is for you. Otherwise, you're probably better off forgetting it exists.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Brain of Cthulhu is a giant rear end in a top hat in expert mode. You're probably best off killing a few queen bees first and coming back with the bee's knees or a large stack of beenades.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm honestly surprised The Bees Knees never got nerfed. I don't like expert mode so I haven't tried it there to see how it fares, but in normal that thing can basically carry you all the way into hardmode which is kind of amazing for how early you can get it with the most basic arena imaginable.

Only needing the cheapest ammo possible means you'll always have enough, and the hit you take by not using the slightly stronger arrows is more than made up for by the swarm of bees you release on command that shred bosses and regular enemies alike. It owns.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 17, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Caught the bug again, made a new world/character.

Time to play terraria for a thousand million hours again :shepface:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I have over 2000 hours in this game and I'm not sure how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Terraria has a lot of game mechanics that you can mostly ignore if you don't want to bother, but that if you exploit and micromanage well allow you to really cheese your way out of the most dangerous situations with ease. Expert mode is there for the munchkins who super-optimize their builds and have the MMO-like reflexes to monitor and renew their collection of buffs constantly.

If you find the game too easy because you can explode the wall of flesh in two seconds with a copper shortsword, then expert mode is for you. Otherwise, you're probably better off forgetting it exists.

There's a button to automatically drink one of every buff potion in your inventory. It's pretty useful.