Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is it allowable by kickstarter's terms and conditions to tell people they can't raise issues they have about your project to you after they back it, with the implication that you'll kick them out of the kickstarter for doing that?

I'm not sure. You should bring it up with the guy in charge of the tabletop kickstarter section. What was his name again? Oh yeah, Luke Crane. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm not sure. You should bring it up with the guy in charge of the tabletop kickstarter section. What was his name again? Oh yeah, Luke Crane. :v:

The head of the section telling people they aren't allowed to complain or they'll be forcibly ejected from his own project seems like pretty good grounds for going over his head to someone that actually matters

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In non-pretentious project news, [url="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/821979583/interface-zero-20-cyberpunk-action-for-the-pathfin"Gun Metal Games are kickstarting a Pathfinder version of Interface Zero 2.0[/url]. I backed the Savage Worlds and Fate Core versions, and David Jarvis has been delivering like a mofo. IZ is a solid cyberpunk setting with elements of more modern ideas like transhumanism, and also remembers that the world outside the US exists and actually covers what's going on in other countries.

quote:

Interface Zero 2.0 is a cyberpunk setting…Sort of. Interface Zero is inspired by a plethora of sources including novels such as Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Burning Chrome, Count Zero, Altered Carbon, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and Snow Crash.

Anime such as Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Psycho Pass, Ghost in the Shell, Battle Angel Alita and Appleseed help to round out a vision of our world, incorporating eastern and western influences on the genre.

The result is a setting that echoes other popular cyberpunk games, but focuses more on geopolitical intrigue and action rather than the familiar roles of megacorporations as the major antagonists. That doesn’t mean that corporations aren’t powers unto themselves, with their own agendas, both altruistic and nefarious, however.
I'm still getting stuff from the original SW project on a pretty regular basis, and that delivered the core book like two years ago.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Nuns with Guns posted:

The pictures for sad children kickstarter? That one hit a bad end when USPS bumped up shipping costs after the kickstarter ended and the creator was genuinely unable to afford shipping all of the books. That exacerbated other personal stresses they were dealing with at the time. :smith:

That's it. I read a piece by him in the aftermath, describing his frustration with the whole Kickstarter experience and how as an artist what he really wanted was patronage, support for making art and not having to worry about print production and all of that crap. I remember scoffing, but if Patreon had come into being a year earlier, things might have turned out differently. :(

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is it allowable by kickstarter's terms and conditions to tell people they can't raise issues they have about your project to you after they back it, with the implication that you'll kick them out of the kickstarter for doing that?

I'm pretty sure it's allowed as long as you don't take their money. The creator can decide who is and isn't a customer. It's lovely business and lovely people skills, but I would imagine it's not against the rules to be a terrible person as long as backers are made financially whole either with products or refunds.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sigma-X posted:

He has a giant ego and doesn't want people questioning his vision.

I'm sure he conducts all personal relationships the same way and doesn't realize that it is bad / wrong to issue dumb-rear end ultimatums all the time.

No, I'm pretty sure that if the print shop called him to ask about shipping details or if the check was in the mail he wouldn't immediately tear up the contract and go to a different one.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

people trying to sell poo poo on kickstarter should be nicer to their customers considering it's already a big ask to demand payment a year or more in advance with no protection against the very high chance that nothing will ever be delivered or that it'll be crap.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

That's it. I read a piece by him in the aftermath, describing his frustration with the whole Kickstarter experience and how as an artist what he really wanted was patronage, support for making art and not having to worry about print production and all of that crap. I remember scoffing, but if Patreon had come into being a year earlier, things might have turned out differently. :(
Though the key to a successful patreon is also consistent content creation. No one is going to support you out of the kindness of their hearts, because money without the pressure of needing results is literally what every person on earth wants.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Though the key to a successful patreon is also consistent content creation. No one is going to support you out of the kindness of their hearts, because money without the pressure of needing results is literally what every person on earth wants.

Doesn't that one webcomic guy get a few grand a month whether he actually produces the pages or not? Fleecing nerds is a stable industry.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

the very high chance that nothing will ever be delivered
Ive never had this happen.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Litany Unheard posted:

Doesn't that one webcomic guy get a few grand a month whether he actually produces the pages or not? Fleecing nerds is a stable industry.

Yup

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FRINGE posted:

Your experience is not typical.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FRINGE posted:

Okay good for you, but plenty of people have in fact had it happen to the point where it's become a fairly common bit of "Kickstarter 101" advice for anyone new to crowdfunding. There are people here who backed Far West and while that looks fuckin stupid in retrospect up until that point there really wasn't any indication that Gareth-Michael Skarka was going to fail to produce a thing for five years running. Alas Vegas, The Doom That Came to Atlantic City, The Deck of Wonders, this is just the stuff off the top of my head that either I myself have backed or that regularly come up as examples of noticeably failed Kickstarters. Flying Assault Butts, there's another one. It's not just traditional games either, you get it with tech gadgets, video games, etc. This also isn't counting the outright scams like that guy who had three simultaneous Kickstarters for Pathfinder adventures going who unsurprisingly has vanished off the face of the earth with like $7,000+ of other peoples' money.

Luke Crane isn't a scammer but it's still kind of absurd that the guy Kickstarter put in charge of whatever he's in charge of would decide that the best way to present a crowdfunded project is to say "if you back this then your job is to sit down and shut the gently caress up until I say otherwise, I don't want to hear you asking about pesky things like delivery dates or why your stuff is late."

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FRINGE posted:

you've never even been disappointed by what you wound up with in the end, or been stuck waiting on a delayed project to the point you don't want the thing you paid for anymore?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

you've never even been disappointed by what you wound up with in the end, or been stuck waiting on a delayed project to the point you don't want the thing you paid for anymore?
Ive never had someone just steal the money. While there are some famous examples that people here all paid for I guess, this does not seem typical: "nothing will ever be delivered".

Delays dont matter to me. Making things takes time, I dont care. I do get irritated if something mass-produced that already exists has a long delay due to incompetence (like an Amazon vendor), but not someone creating a new thing.

Being disappointing in the quality of something need a big dose of "get over it" for the most part. Ive been disappointed by games and items Ive ordered from Steam, GoG, newegg, Amazon, etc... why is that a special KS problem?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't want to hear you asking about pesky things like delivery dates or why your stuff is late."

I hate to nitpick but if you're going to distort things to try blow this up into some big deal, I'll have to correct you. Nobody's stuff was late. Book was promised in August, people got them in August. The whole kerfuffle happened in August.

Look, if you want a Viking LARP for exactly 10 people, and you back this Kickstarter, then (judging by his past Kickstarters and pre-orders) you will get a well-designed game with materials of the highest quality. You will get it on time. And moreover, you will get it practically at cost - he puts out these games for the love of the community without making much if any money off of them. Sounds loving amazing, right? The only catch? If you complain, he will be a bit rude. If you try to blow up a slightly rude comment into a huge big debate, he will refund you rather than engage in that debate. And this time, he's being transparent about that.

Those are just the facts. If that doesn't sound good to you, don't back the Kickstarter. If it sounds good, do back it.

Me, I'm on the fence - I know that the thing is going to be great, but when the hell am I going to get exactly 9 friends together for a LARP? Never, that's when. So I need to ask myself if it is worth having just to have and reading to mine for design inspiration.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

Luke Crane isn't a scammer but it's still kind of absurd that the guy Kickstarter put in charge of whatever he's in charge of would decide that the best way to present a crowdfunded project is to say "if you back this then your job is to sit down and shut the gently caress up until I say otherwise, I don't want to hear you asking about pesky things like delivery dates or why your stuff is late."
I also agree with this. The guy is acting like an idiot.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

very high chance that nothing will ever be delivered

These are not the same thing. He clearly said he's never had something simply not be delivered, and let's be honest, amidst the hundreds and hundreds of campaigns run in the Game category in let's say any given year, how many actually COMPLETELY do not fulfill? Yeah, there is a line drawn somewhere differently for each person as to when they consider something late enough to be a complete failure, but having backed ~50 game campaigns in the last few years, I haven't had a single one just end with "nothing ever being delivered" as you said.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Merauder posted:

These are not the same thing. He clearly said he's never had something simply not be delivered, and let's be honest, amidst the hundreds and hundreds of campaigns run in the Game category in let's say any given year, how many actually COMPLETELY do not fulfill? Yeah, there is a line drawn somewhere differently for each person as to when they consider something late enough to be a complete failure, but having backed ~50 game campaigns in the last few years, I haven't had a single one just end with "nothing ever being delivered" as you said.

the thing I said that he was responding to was

very high chance that nothing will ever be delivered or that it'll be crap.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

the thing I said that he was responding to was

Right, but he omitted the "or it'll be crap" part, and said that he's never had something "never be delivered". If he responded to your entire post and said "I've never had this happen", then sure, I think questioning that he's never had a poor product be delivered might be worth second guessing. But he didn't.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've had both things happen, but I've backed a number of kickstarters (including a couple of the failed ones listed earlier). I have avoided backing anything in the video games category for a few years now though, simply because that category is even more prone to failure or terrible results than tabletop games. If I back a bad tabletop role playing or card game, I can usually at the least steal a few mechanics or ideas from it if it comes out at all. If I back a bad video game, I'm stuck with a bad video game, since usually those don't have anything unique about them past, maybe, the premise (and I could get that for free). Hell, if I back a bad minis game, unless it's truly terrible I can just flip it on eBay for around what I paid for it.

Now, if it doesn't come out that's a different story, and usually I just chalk those up to eh, unless they took me for a substantial sum (which hasn't happened yet). As long as it's clear that they didn't just piss the money away on parties, hookers, and/or drugs, I'm usually okay with it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

thelazyblank posted:

I'm pretty sure it's allowed as long as you don't take their money. The creator can decide who is and isn't a customer. It's lovely business and lovely people skills, but I would imagine it's not against the rules to be a terrible person as long as backers are made financially whole either with products or refunds.

Refunding a backer without their consent is a pretty shady thing to do though, especially since it effectively silences criticism on the kickstarter because discontent backers can't comment on the project's page anymore. It seems like allowing something like this would be leaving a problematic door open.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jimbozig posted:

I hate to nitpick but if you're going to distort things to try blow this up into some big deal, I'll have to correct you. Nobody's stuff was late. Book was promised in August, people got them in August. The whole kerfuffle happened in August.

Look, if you want a Viking LARP for exactly 10 people, and you back this Kickstarter, then (judging by his past Kickstarters and pre-orders) you will get a well-designed game with materials of the highest quality. You will get it on time. And moreover, you will get it practically at cost - he puts out these games for the love of the community without making much if any money off of them. Sounds loving amazing, right? The only catch? If you complain, he will be a bit rude. If you try to blow up a slightly rude comment into a huge big debate, he will refund you rather than engage in that debate. And this time, he's being transparent about that.

Those are just the facts.

If you're going to try and take me to task for this then you should probably also elaborate on the details of why people found themselves confused by the way he handled shipping in the first place and also the fact the nobody who wondered why some folks were receiving packages but no shipping info while others had info but no packaging was especially rude to him in order to merit the response he decided was appropriate, but doing so wouldn't really help reinforce the narrative that Luke Crane is the poor put-upon artiste having to endure the unreasonable demands of his whiny backers.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Refunding a backer without their consent is a pretty shady thing to do though, especially since it effectively silences criticism on the kickstarter because discontent backers can't comment on the project's page anymore. It seems like allowing something like this would be leaving a problematic door open.

I dunno. It's definitely lovely, counter-productive and generally not a good idea, but it's just as easy to write a blog and link it somewhere to make your comments, and have them gain traction if they're valid in any sense. I don't think Kickstarter's intent was to be anything more than a marketplace, so as long as they aren't actively censoring, encouraging censoring or anything of that level, it's definitely legal and within the rules of a marketplace for an individual to lose money because you're a grouchy viking wizard who wants to take out frustration on your own wallet.

It's unfortunate that they aren't trying to push people to be good businesspeople, but there's no reasonable way for Kickstarter to do this. Well, unless they hire a small department of people just to handle refund disputes, which isn't going to happen unless they're forced to.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thelazyblank posted:

I dunno. It's definitely lovely, counter-productive and generally not a good idea, but it's just as easy to write a blog and link it somewhere to make your comments, and have them gain traction if they're valid in any sense. I don't think Kickstarter's intent was to be anything more than a marketplace, so as long as they aren't actively censoring, encouraging censoring or anything of that level, it's definitely legal and within the rules of a marketplace for an individual to lose money because you're a grouchy viking wizard who wants to take out frustration on your own wallet.

It's unfortunate that they aren't trying to push people to be good businesspeople, but there's no reasonable way for Kickstarter to do this. Well, unless they hire a small department of people just to handle refund disputes, which isn't going to happen unless they're forced to.

I think there are some valid times when delivering an unasked for refund is an appropriate response. Like that guy who paid $200 for the Blue Rose Kickstarter in order to try and get his take-that knockoff Kratos with his child bride and owl named Trigger Warning included in the book who went on to raise a fuss when they edited it (as fan-submitted content like this is always subject to) to be less of a turd in the punch bowl. That's a situation where I think it's arguably reasonable to simply give someone a refund and tell them "it's not us, it's you."

Asking what the deal with your order is and being unhappy that you got Luke Crane's rear end in a top hat Wizard Play-By-Mail in reply isn't as compelling a reason imo. The fact that refunding people unhappy with you just so happens to lock them off from commenting on the project is an extra layer of assholishness.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
If you don't want to deal with people wondering where their product is, you shouldn't be loving asking people to fund its production. I don't think that's a very difficult concept.

e: also I'm sad that some people didn't get their flying assault butts because I definitely got all of mine :(

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm going to be the guy who goes one step farther and say "if you don't want to hear customer complaints, don't sell anything." Like, in all honesty, it's just a reality of doing business. Doesn't mean you need to acquiesce, but there is no way it won't happen at some point.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Luke Crane always struck me as a dick but not a shitlord. He's like the Harlan Ellison or Hideki Kamiya type, the kind of person that is a bundle of raw nerves in the shape of a human that you interact with at your own peril, but it's not like he's going to put you on a big list of people to drive out of the industry or something. He's just a crusty, grumpy wizard.

Putting him in a basically a PR position was maybe not the best choice Kickstarter has ever made.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

If you're going to try and take me to task for this then you should probably also elaborate on the details of why people found themselves confused by the way he handled shipping in the first place and also the fact the nobody who wondered why some folks were receiving packages but no shipping info while others had info but no packaging was especially rude to him in order to merit the response he decided was appropriate, but doing so wouldn't really help reinforce the narrative that Luke Crane is the poor put-upon artiste having to endure the unreasonable demands of his whiny backers.

No, it's true - people received a notice that a shipping label had been created and then nothing for a while. So they were legitimately confused and asked about it. He was mildly rude in response. I'm not disputing that - I'm just trying to put it in context. That rudeness is a downside to backing his projects, but there are also many upsides. The stupid wizard-speak was another downside, but thank goodness he isn't doing that for this one.

For me, the rudeness is such a tiny downside compared to getting a high quality product on time and at a good price. Everyone else has their own priorities and can give as much or as little weight to rudeness and professionalism as they like.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think it's been fairly well demonstrated by this point in history that NOT being an rear end in a top hat doesn't actually cost you anything, and since plenty of other tradgame creators are capable of making quality games without being an rear end in a top hat along with it I'm going to weigh someone's lifestyle choice to deliberately be a dickhead accordingly. Maybe if Luke Crane was the only person making games for nerds I might feel differently but he ain't so I don't.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Covok posted:

I'm going to be the guy who goes one step farther and say "if you don't want to hear customer complaints, don't sell anything." Like, in all honesty, it's just a reality of doing business. Doesn't mean you need to acquiesce, but there is no way it won't happen at some point.

I definitely agree, though I had 'kickstarter is not a store' in mind there. Still the same principle; you pretty much have to be willing to deal with people who aren't happy with what you're doing. Doesn't mean you gotta like it, or that they're necessarily right, because gently caress 'the customer is always right' but this reeks of an entitled child throwing a temper tantrum.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I've noticed people very rarely treat Kickstarter backing as "just" a transaction. Except maybe people who buy minis. There's an element of wanting to feel like you're a part of the project. Maybe that's not so healthy for them; but to have a guy flat out deny them that feeling because it's too much of a hassle for him sure seems salty.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just from reading some of the stuff he's written I get the sense that there is no medical procedure known to humankind that could extricate Luke Crane's giant head from his cavernous rear end in a top hat.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Litany Unheard posted:

The Pictures for Sad Children artist? I don't think so. Are you referring to some other completely different artist who hasn't been mentioned at all so far? Maybe be a little more specific?

Also, the gold standard for tabletop KS fraud is Ken Whitman: http://notanotherdime.blogspot.com/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

The Pictures for Sad Children artist? I don't think so. Are you referring to some other completely different artist who hasn't been mentioned at all so far? Maybe be a little more specific?

Also, the gold standard for tabletop KS fraud is Ken Whitman: http://notanotherdime.blogspot.com/

I think that's Aaron Diaz of Dresden Codak they're referring to.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Arivia posted:

I think that's Aaron Diaz of Dresden Codak they're referring to.

Yup, that's the one. "The cybermessiah is a sexy Asian chick missing her limbs and also I draw her naked for reasons."

I just looked up his patreon. Diaz gets $4600 a month and most of his patrons don't care if he produces anything.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

I think it's been fairly well demonstrated by this point in history that NOT being an rear end in a top hat doesn't actually cost you anything, and since plenty of other tradgame creators are capable of making quality games without being an rear end in a top hat along with it I'm going to weigh someone's lifestyle choice to deliberately be a dickhead accordingly. Maybe if Luke Crane was the only person making games for nerds I might feel differently but he ain't so I don't.
Yeah, I can see that. I'm that way with restaurants. The servers were rude to me at a middle eastern place near my house and I haven't been back. Decent mid-price restaurants are perfectly interchangeable to me - I'm just as happy getting curry or sushi instead of falafel.

Nerd games do not have that kind of interchangeability to me. The difference between Burning Wheel or one of my other favourites and a game that is good but not a favourite is - for me - very large. And I don't play often enough, so it's important to me that what time and effort I do spend on RPGs is with my favourites.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Litany Unheard posted:

He wasn't producing anything before the patreon. They're paying him for tweets, a sense of smug satisfaction, and wrestling commentary. Same thing they paid Spoony for before the wrestling commentary went away and his patreon dried up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

clockworkjoe posted:

He's the jackass who signed Samantha Swords for the vaporware Spinward Traveller project. Don't waste that woman.

Also gently caress that guy for promising us Traveller media and not following through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

He's the jackass who signed Samantha Swords for the vaporware Spinward Traveller project. Don't waste that woman.

Also gently caress that guy for promising us Traveller media and not following through.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/d20e/spinward-traveller-tv-pilot/posts/1678420

What do you mean? This is looking pretty amazing.