Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

cat doter posted:

I find the "hans zimmer ruined film scores" rebuttal to be 1: extremely obvious and 2: 100% correct

I mean I don't know how people who study film DON'T come to that conclusion, hans zimmer is an extremely talented composer but motherfuckers imitate him CONSTANTLY and it sucks because they're never anywhere near as good

When it comes to film, a lot of hackary comes from imitating what was good and popular. The Hans Zimmer "BWAAAAAAAAA" being near ubiquitous is definitely an example of that. Studios seems to always follow the leader, which is why James Gunn said that studios would miss the point as to why Deadpool was popular and made money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Whenever people bitch about studio executives being dense as gently caress and don't actually understanding anything about their own successful franchises and movies, there is always that lingering suspicious that we all don't actually know that much about the business and might be completely off center, but then some industry insider speaks up or we have something like the Sony email hack and it turns out, every cliché and stereotype is 100% correct.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Studio executives are not human, and do not process information like we do

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They're capitalists who think of art as a commodity that can be packaged and circulated within a marketplace. For some reason I think of that differently than I do deodorant or corn oil even though obviously the capitalist scum at trialta foods don't know poo poo about the chemistry of anti-perspirants either. Their job is to maximize return on investment. They don't have to know anything about the product to do that.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Studio executives are not human, and do not process information like we do

Nah, they process it exactly the same as we do: extremely poorly, with heavy bias based on what we think is true and on what the people around us are like.

It's the same reason weird echo chambers lead to "There are evil people controlling our government and preparing to murder most of the population to make us easier to control," or "Actually, asexuals are the Most Oppressed right now."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Puppy Time posted:

Nah, they process it exactly the same as we do: extremely poorly, with heavy bias based on what we think is true and on what the people around us are like.

It's the same reason weird echo chambers lead to "There are evil people controlling our government and preparing to murder most of the population to make us easier to control," or "Actually, asexuals are the Most Oppressed right now."

A film adaptation of the classic ‘80s video game “Tetris” will be falling into theaters sometime in the near future.

Threshold Entertainment has teamed up with the Tetris Company to develop a live-action film based on the game. While no directors or cast are attached to the film yet, there is a story in place.

“It’s a very big, epic sci-fi movie,” Threshold’s CEO Larry Kasanoff tells Speakeasy exclusively. “This isn’t a movie with a bunch of lines running around the page. We’re not giving feet to the geometric shapes.”

Kasanoff’s best known for adapting the “Mortal Kombat” games to the big screen – 1995’s “Mortal Kombat” grossed $70 million according to Boxoffice Mojo, with the 1997 sequel, “Mortal Kombat: Annihilation,” grossing $35 million. For Threshold, they’re hoping to build off the brand’s notoriety and legacy.

“Brands are the new stars of Hollywood,” he says. “We have a story behind ‘Tetris’ which makes it a much more imaginative thing.”

If the film does well, Kasanoff isn’t looking to limit the “Tetris” world to just a big-screen experience. “We certainly have the canvas for location-based entertainment based on the epicness.”

Over the past several years, Threshold has worked mostly in the animation space, including large digital production projects with Marvel, Lego, and “Star Wars.” The original “Tetris” was released in June 1984, from Soviet game-designer Alexey Pajitnov. It quickly became a world-wide phenomenon and was bundled in 1989 with the launch of Nintendo’s original portable gaming system, Game Boy.

“What you [will] see in ‘Tetris’ is the teeny tip of an iceberg that has intergalactic significance,” Kasanoff says.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sometimes Hans Zimmer rolls over original film scores unnecessarily. For example, chicken run originally had a much different score requested by aardman, but since DreamWorks were the distributors, they passed the score onto Zimmer who then gave it to one of his students to record. That is why the film has a much more blatant great escape knockoff soundtrack.
Afterwards, the tension between aardman and DreamWorks over the changes, and the box office disappointment of flushed away, the companies split.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 16, 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaXiVttz6JU

Phelous is doing another Dingo Pictures film. How will the story of Pocahontas as told by the Germans work out?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A film adaptation of the classic ‘80s video game “Tetris” will be falling into theaters sometime in the near future.

Threshold Entertainment has teamed up with the Tetris Company to develop a live-action film based on the game. While no directors or cast are attached to the film yet, there is a story in place.

“It’s a very big, epic sci-fi movie,” Threshold’s CEO Larry Kasanoff tells Speakeasy exclusively. “This isn’t a movie with a bunch of lines running around the page. We’re not giving feet to the geometric shapes.”

Kasanoff’s best known for adapting the “Mortal Kombat” games to the big screen – 1995’s “Mortal Kombat” grossed $70 million according to Boxoffice Mojo, with the 1997 sequel, “Mortal Kombat: Annihilation,” grossing $35 million. For Threshold, they’re hoping to build off the brand’s notoriety and legacy.

“Brands are the new stars of Hollywood,” he says. “We have a story behind ‘Tetris’ which makes it a much more imaginative thing.”

If the film does well, Kasanoff isn’t looking to limit the “Tetris” world to just a big-screen experience. “We certainly have the canvas for location-based entertainment based on the epicness.”

Over the past several years, Threshold has worked mostly in the animation space, including large digital production projects with Marvel, Lego, and “Star Wars.” The original “Tetris” was released in June 1984, from Soviet game-designer Alexey Pajitnov. It quickly became a world-wide phenomenon and was bundled in 1989 with the launch of Nintendo’s original portable gaming system, Game Boy.

“What you [will] see in ‘Tetris’ is the teeny tip of an iceberg that has intergalactic significance,” Kasanoff says.

Spoilers for my next review: Threshold Entertainment is the company behind Foodfight, which Kasanoff was the director of. The "Tetris Movie" will be at best a direct-to-DVD release, if indeed it ever sees the light of day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DStecks posted:

Spoilers for my next review: Threshold Entertainment is the company behind Foodfight, which Kasanoff was the director of. The "Tetris Movie" will be at best a direct-to-DVD release, if indeed it ever sees the light of day.

You haven't heard? They cancelled the Tetris movie.

They're making it a trilogy instead.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Makes sense. Tetris, Welltris and Hatris.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
e: fb

Zephirum fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 16, 2016

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

But anyway, how goes that one Dstiggles, I'm waiting with baited breath for your reaction to the squirrel making GBS threads out it's eyes, and the weasel made of actual poo poo.

I know that's not the style of review you do, but seriously, shitweasel.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Tarquinn posted:

Makes sense. Tetris, Welltris and Hatris.
Hatris rules.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hatris is one of the best puzzle games ever and I will fight for its honor.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

I almost got an internship at Threshold Entertainment. I feel like I dodged a bullet when I went with a YouTube group instead.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Remember Digital Homicide, who is still trying to sue Jim Sterling for his reviews?

They're trying to sue 100 steam reviewers for saying their games are bad. This has led to them subpoenaing Steam to reveal the information of the 100 reviewers, which Steam responded by removing DH's games off their storefront. And apparently added another 5 mil to the amount they want to sue Jim for.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Leal posted:

Remember Digital Homicide, who is still trying to sue Jim Sterling for his reviews?

They're trying to sue 100 steam reviewers for saying their games are bad. This has led to them subpoenaing Steam to reveal the information of the 100 reviewers, which Steam responded by removing DH's games off their storefront. And apparently added another 5 mil to the amount they want to sue Jim for.

Someone's gonna have to figure out how DH is generating this much salt out of their glands.

Is there a salt asset on the Unity engine or something?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Valve just responded by removing all of their games.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Leal posted:

Bets on whether they try and sue Valve next?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Jesus Christ!

... What games did they make that warranted all the negative reviews?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Jesus Christ!

... What games did they make that warranted all the negative reviews?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfI7pAaOH9c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT0GSPxf0vw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6s0Wpn1zmU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You haven't heard? They cancelled the Tetris movie.

They're making it a trilogy instead.

Except every time they complete it, the movies vanish and you have to start again.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

But anyway, how goes that one Dstiggles, I'm waiting with baited breath for your reaction to the squirrel making GBS threads out it's eyes, and the weasel made of actual poo poo.

Script is finished. There aren't any specific references to those moments, because there's JonTron's review for that. I've got quite a bit to say about Foodfight, so it's likely going to be a two-parter, unless I can edit down some cruft.

lornekates posted:

Except every time they complete it, the movies vanish and you have to start again.

:vince:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Kyle Kallgren has video up about a stop motion Midsummer Night's Dream.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Leal posted:

Well, they have tenacity going for them if nothing else.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
The same could be said for making food fight and we know what that brought about.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Saturday's video is on Tucker, a largely forgotten Malcolm in the Middle wannabe from 2000.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Zedd posted:

Also Lupa/Miss Wallace where can I find your Miami Connection video? The one of the phelous website seems defunct and while it was in your older style I loved that video and I'd like to watch it again now that I've finally seen the movie myself a while ago.

Works fine for me. Maybe you have issues with Dailymotion?

Also that clip of Mike Myers in Littlest Hobo is amazing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DStecks posted:

Script is finished. There aren't any specific references to those moments, because there's JonTron's review for that. I've got quite a bit to say about Foodfight, so it's likely going to be a two-parter, unless I can edit down some cruft.

:vince:

Double :vince: because that joke works on two fronts.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
What makes Dingo Pictures so fascinating is the sort of stream of consciousness that the dialogue is delivered it. It's like the voice actors are dubbing while watching the video and they only have a vague idea of what they're meant to say. It's like a fever dream level of wierdness, but it suits Phelous well.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Not just the dialog, but everything about the story writing. It's bizarre and amazing and makes the Dingo movies an awesome watch if you don't know what's about to happen, because they always take the most baffling routes.

It's a bit like listening to a small child telling a story.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

OldMemes posted:

What makes Dingo Pictures so fascinating is the sort of stream of consciousness that the dialogue is delivered it. It's like the voice actors are dubbing while watching the video and they only have a vague idea of what they're meant to say. It's like a fever dream level of wierdness, but it suits Phelous well.

That used to be how a lot of cheap dubbing used to work, the foreign distributors would often get no support or script notes beyond a vague outline so someone had to come up with a new "plot" based on the visuals. And sometimes the dubbers wouldn't even get that much help. That's why 90% of Hong Kong Kung Fu flicks were about the hero "avenging their master" even if they were based on famous Chinese folklore and had monkey demons and hopping vampires.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4z3xv2l9_k

gently caress Plinkett reviews, I'd watch more of this.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Todd in the Shadows has the final Cinemadonna up for patrons.

Madonna's poetry made me mute the video until it was over out of pure embarrassment :gonk:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is KKall's review of Naked Lunch still out there?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iwea41ua0Y

History Buffs takes on Master and Commander.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iwea41ua0Y

History Buffs takes on Master and Commander.

Still slays me that they didn't make more of these films. Master and Commander is really drat good!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cubey posted:

Bets on whether they try and sue Valve next?

So erm....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1280358

quote:

When someone bothers you on say a platform like Facebook and you find the need to ban them, the Facebook response after you ban is "Sorry you had this experience" and then that person is removed from being able to post on your page. Steam's stance is what just happened to us. By removing us they have taken the stance that users have the right to harass me, tell me I should kill myself, and insult my family . If I try to defend myself against said actions then I lose my family's income. If it wasn't for 2 years of experience of dealing with Steam on a regular basis, this disgusting stance would seem shocking to me. The only thing that prevented me seeking legal counsel for a long list of breach of contracts, interference with business, and anti-trust issues was the fear of losing my family's income. Since that has been taken away I am seeking legal representation. The case will benefit from a long list of organized documentation of events that have happened over the past 2 years including dates, screenshots, emails, and more on over 100 infractions in need of litigation. Legal counsel interested in our case can contact us at support@digitalhomicide.ninja

I really want to see the Jimquisition on this whole spiel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Leal posted:

So erm....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1280358

I really want to see the Jimquisition on this whole spiel.

loving l o l.

These idiots are as up their own rear end as much as Trump is with less power.

• Locked thread