Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like anybody who's played 999 would have called this the minute they saw the notepad.

Like it kind of crossed my mind but then I was like "No, that's too crazy. It can't possibly be true." But then it is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like anybody who's played 999 would have called this the minute they saw the notepad.

Yyyup. Before finishing the first paragraph, even.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

gently caress. gently caress. I'm on Uchikoshi's wild ride again!!!!

We're never getting off, are we

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, anybody playing Case 5 Trial 2: Be on the lookout for the single greatest name in the series. It kinda goes by quickly without being really acknowledged, but you will know it. Just...dissect it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He's gonna show back up in 7-4 when he's the key suspect in the murder of Thalassa Gramayre, otherwise known as Lamiroir.

I've got mixed feeling on when Apollo should return. Next game should definitely star Athena, but i've really liked the multiple playable characters thing DD and SoJ have had. So I kinda want him and Athena in AA7, since I think it'd probably be for the best if Phoenix took less of a prominent role (though I still want him around, just in less of a playable capacity).

Really hope Apollo will team up with Athena again in future Ace Attorney games. I loved seeing them as a team, moreso than the Phoenix/Maya team.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
That dlc case has a lot to live up to.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'd put good money on AA7 introducing at least a new assistant character to give a bit of variety to the investigation teams with just Nick and Athena at the office. I think it's a bit too early to add a whole new lawyer, and I'm really hoping 7 is Athena-focused.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well I finished the game. Really good! It goes a lot goofier than any previous AA games both in scope and in subject matter, but there's a really strong emotional core throughout. I've got some mild nitpicks that I'll probably post about later, but so far this game is A-OK with me. And it was nice to have prosecutors that are actually objectively wrong and one of them's even evil, rather than the usual "I was trying to convict innocent people of serious crimes because I'm nice" :downs: stuff a lot of later games had.

cloofish posted:

Imo the marketing team's decision to rake in more bux makes the reveal that Apollo's the main character even more epic.

Only a very cynical and sarcastic person would claim Apollo was the main character of his first game, so he was about due.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Waffleman_ posted:

Episode 5: Yeah, I haven't even played 999, and I immediately knew what was up. I guess that's what happens when you're late to the obscure-disorder-as-plot-device party.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I just realized something and I'm about to share the feels.

With Inga's prosopagnosia his verbal tics suddenly make more sense.

And then I suddenly realized where Rayfa's calling everybody by a description came from.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm at the beginning of Case 4 and holy poo poo I love having Blackquill on the defence bench and using all the techniques the prosecution tends to against you for Athena's benefit. He was always one of my more liked prosecutors but this alone has put him up a place or two. Athena being unnerved more easily than Phoenix or Apollo makes sense considering how few cases she has under her belt, so I hope she gets some DLC or AA7 gives her more than one case so that we can see what she looks like as a more developed lawyer, but I'm getting the feeling she's stuck playing third fiddle forever.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Something that's interesting is that this is the main series game with the shortest timeframe. Usually a game would take place over the course of an entire year, but this game happens in like three weeks.

AA7 goes full Ghost Trick, takes place over the course of a single night.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I'm at the beginning of Case 4 and holy poo poo I love having Blackquill on the defence bench and using all the techniques the prosecution tends to against you for Athena's benefit. He was always one of my more liked prosecutors but this alone has put him up a place or two. Athena being unnerved more easily than Phoenix or Apollo makes sense considering how few cases she has under her belt, so I hope she gets some DLC or AA7 gives her more than one case so that we can see what she looks like as a more developed lawyer, but I'm getting the feeling she's stuck playing third fiddle forever.

Fairly sure Athena has secretly been Lalaco God Speed all along, and that will be the focus of the next game.

Alternatively, we will find out more about her father who is, no doubt, the leader of a Greek militia that uses ancient Eastern smiley necklaces to analyse their foes.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 17, 2016

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Does anyone else think Case 4 really messes with the game's pacing?

Like, the ending of case 3 was excellent, and got me really hyped for the continuation, but then Case 4 just felt like it came out of nowhere, and its plot felt really weak compared to the earlier cases, especially the really weird "Owen 4th" twist ( I even predicted the Thought Route conclusion before it happened!).

Also, the dynamic between Athena and Nahyuta felt really weird--it seemed like he'd had some kind of epiphany at the end of Case 3 about how messed up his attitude toward lawyers was, but then he spent all of Case 4 relentlessly, repetitively attacking Athena about her inexperience every chance he got, to the point that I actually turned on text skipping halfway through the case to basically fast-forward through all the pointless objections.

I'm still excited for Case 5, but I really feel like that case would work a lot better as DLC. It felt like such filler, especially compared to how well-done Case 2 was, despite being "filler" itself.

What did everyone else think of it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

case 4 gives a much needed resting point between two extremely intense and emotional cases

it's also not super long so it doesn't overstay its welcome. it's a good case

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Case 5 Trial Day 2
I have to make a decision about who the other victim was but... Apollo doesn't want to believe it and I don't wanna loving believe it and the music changed and got all somber and I'm going over every single interaction we've had with Dhurke all day and I just... :ohdear:

God, Nahyuta's not gonna like this either. This is the worst.

EDIT:Wait, more than three days, what the hell?

EDIT2: Holy poo poo this case. I'm not fine, I'm not fine at all!!

VibrantPareidolia fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 16, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Terper posted:

AA7 goes full Ghost Trick, takes place over the course of a single night.

AAI kind of already did that though! it all happened over a week though

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
6:2:
There is no tree too high to hang roger retinz for his horrific crimes against my daughter

when is the dlc coming out where phoenix beats him to death with that clipboard

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just finished Case 4. I like it overall. I think I had the most trouble with this one so far, if only because I just didn't know the difference between soba and udon noodles. I can see why people were saying this would have been a difficult case to localize- frankly I'm impressed it works as well as it does.

Also Simon being on Athena's side was fun. It was nice to see someone just be a dick to Sad Monk after he's been so smarmy throughout the rest of the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

And More posted:

Episode 5: Yeah, I haven't even played 999, and I immediately knew what was up. I guess that's what happens when you're late to the obscure-disorder-as-plot-device party.

Episode 5: Face blindness isn't actually all that rare, it's just not diagnosed because the people who have it don't often realize that they're supposed to be able to recognize faces effortlessly. They just think of themselves as bad at remembering people and end up apologizing at parties a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in this thread has it. These games also exaggerate how bad it is: they might not be able to recognize the face as a single unit, but they'd still be able to tell if someone has a pointy chin or a big nose or whatever.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oh my god

Case 5 big spoilers:

Amara channeling Inga and Dhurke should be a big plothole because of the hair colour, right?

Except when you go into Inga's room and check the table there's a bottle of hair dye sitting there. L' Belle brand black hair dye.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 16, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

gently caress ME.

Also, I think the thing I want the most from a future AA game is for someone to deskslam so hard they break their desk. Even just once.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress ME.

Also, I think the thing I want the most from a future AA game is for someone to deskslam so hard they break their desk. Even just once.

I could swear that's already happened.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Case 4: It was a decent enough case, though it didn't seem quite as impossible to localize as people were saying. Sure, it's out of place that they'd have a rakugo performers, but it didn't seem any stranger than Kurain village. The soba/udon thing was a bit confusing, but eh. Only thing that showed the localizers probably struggled was OWEN 4TH, but it's not like they haven't done word play before. The localization also made Blackquill into even more of a giant weeb, so I'd almost say we got the better version.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It feels like something that should have happened by now, yeah. Unless I'm forgetting something, it's never happened.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Momomo posted:

Case 4: It was a decent enough case, though it didn't seem quite as impossible to localize as people were saying. Sure, it's out of place that they'd have a rakugo performers, but it didn't seem any stranger than Kurain village. The soba/udon thing was a bit confusing, but eh. Only thing that showed the localizers probably struggled was OWEN 4TH, but it's not like they haven't done word play before. The localization also made Blackquill into even more of a giant weeb, so I'd almost say we got the better version.

I think people were expecting the localization team to try to turn all this rakugo and japanese noodle stuff into Americanized equivalents (like how ramen became burgers), and yeah, THAT would've been a monumental task. But since this is an alternate universe where the US has more asian immigrants, it was fine to just leave it as-is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I think people were expecting the localization team to try to turn all this rakugo and japanese noodle stuff into Americanized equivalents (like how ramen became burgers), and yeah, THAT would've been a monumental task. But since this is an alternate universe where the US has more asian immigrants, it was fine to just leave it as-is.

Now I wanna see Hamilton Burgins and his stack of sliders.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Now I wanna see Hamilton Burgins and his stack of sliders.

If this was still the DS era, we probably WOULD have seen that, and it would've kind of ruled. But this is an era where they don't even release AA games on cartridges anymore. :saddowns:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

If this was still the DS era, we probably WOULD have seen that, and it would've kind of ruled. But this is an era where they don't even release AA games on cartridges anymore. :saddowns:

The victim was killed during a performance of the legendary standup routine "The Ten Burgers You Can't Eat on Television"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh my god

Case 5 big spoilers:

Amara channeling Inga and Dhurke should be a big plothole because of the hair colour, right?

Except when you go into Inga's room and check the table there's a bottle of hair dye sitting there. L' Belle brand black hair dye.

Haha wow. I guess Amara is used to messing around with her hair to stand in for Ga'ran.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But yeah, with the move to digital-only and the apparent acceptance of AA's niche status in the US, the localizers seem to be more willing to acknowledge the more overtly Japanese elements than trying to work against them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm perfectly happy with a mix of both. I don't want the game to suddenly start using the Japanese names and talking about Tokyo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, they're never going to do that because Alexander O. Smith dug that hole for them 11 years ago and there's no getting out of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's not a hole. Localizing things is good. Burgers are good. Japanese puns are bad.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, they're never going to do that because Alexander O. Smith dug that hole for them 11 years ago and there's no getting out of it.

Frankly, I'd stop playing these games if they tried. It's just so wonderfully awkward as it is.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Waffleman_ posted:

But yeah, with the move to digital-only and the apparent acceptance of AA's niche status in the US, the localizers seem to be more willing to acknowledge the more overtly Japanese elements than trying to work against them.

It seems like the games started getting more and more Japanese as the series went on.

In the first game it was just the Steel Samurai stuff and Maya. The former could be handwaved with the popularity of Power Rangers and the like in the US, and the latter as being some weird hippie spirit medium.

Even in the original trilogy most of the blatantly Japanese stuff was connected to Kurain and the spirit mediums, and so could be handwaved as a subculture.

But now we seem to get at least one blatantly Japanese case in each game, like the Japanese village with the yokai in Dual Destinies. And I haven't gotten to Case 4 in AA6 yet, but from what I hear it's the most Japanese case yet. I guess there's a certain point where the localizers have to throw up their hands.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

That's not a hole. Localizing things is good. Burgers are good. Japanese puns are bad.

I don't know how you can possibly say puns are bad in the Ace Attorney thread of all places.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know how you can possibly say puns are bad in the Ace Attorney thread of all places.

They're bad if they're in a language the audience doesn't understand.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Wyvernil posted:

But now we seem to get at least one blatantly Japanese case in each game, like the Japanese village with the yokai in Dual Destinies. And I haven't gotten to Case 4 in AA6 yet, but from what I hear it's the most Japanese case yet. I guess there's a certain point where the localizers have to throw up their hands.

I like to imagine that the Japanese writers have caught on and are now issuing direct challenges to the localizers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wasn't saying it was bad at all, I'm just saying at this point, they've committed to it.

And I think the hearsay was that Takumi tried to keep the first game pretty culturally neutral to aid in localization, but since the games didn't get localized until after 3 came out, he decided to go buck wild.