Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dead Man's Party is cool and I like some of his movie stuff as well, but the Simpsons theme is far and away the most brilliant piece of music he ever recorded.

I think the issue is less that people don't care about music in their movies (although there's a little of that) and more that most people have no idea how to talk about music, which is also why music journalism as a whole is such a joke.

Danny Elfman can hang his hat on everything starting from Forbidden Zone and ending with the Batman soundtrack (I think the Simpsons theme was a little before this). His last gimmie was Nightmare Before Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Your initial argument came across much like "advertising doesn't affect me" but spread across a much wider, unchecked range of people who haven't said one way or the other. Like, of course "people" know about themes like Star Wars or JP generally through the wider impact such films, and not necessarily because of the songs themselves, but OSTs aren't just randomly bought for no apparent reason by a subset of the audience more into their film scores. And this is all before talking about the most blatant marriage of the two in the musical format, itself adapted from stage and opera before it.

What I'm saying is that even if "people" don't necessarily care about music on a conscious level, a memorable soundtrack will definitely leave a greater impact than one explicitly designed to disappear as much as they do in Marvel films; personally speaking, that's why I enjoyed the Mad Max: Fury Road OST, whilst completely forgetting that for CA:WS (as per the video example where MM rips off CA).

My argument was the Marvel scores never last longer than a film and therefore can never enter the public conscious in a meaningful way. Which isn't a defense on Marvel at all. It's the opposite. IF the Marvel scores did allow them to flow into the next film, and or, were used for ads or whatever, the scores would have a greater impact. There's no reason why everyone can't hum The Avengers theme, except that there isn't a Avengers theme.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
People who hum are mad annoying. Almost as bad as whistlers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Danny Elfman can hang his hat on everything starting from Forbidden Zone and ending with the Batman soundtrack (I think the Simpsons theme was a little before this). His last gimmie was Nightmare Before Christmas.

Hundu, as usual, spot on

I'll cop to liking the early 90s BOINGO stuff, tho

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hundu, as usual, spot on

I'll cop to liking the early 90s BOINGO stuff, tho

After 90 it was diminishing returns, but he can still be proud of lots of that stuff.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

K. Waste posted:

Whistling is awesome when you do it while walking down a dark corridor, in or out of your cellar, across a cemetary etc. I dare you to do all that and not whistle the Avengers theme.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Zhou linked to this response video on his twitter, which I (and he) thinks is even better than his original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXsH88XlKM

It's really good. He shows that temp music is not new, quotes Adorno on originality, goes in on how general situational themes are reused by composers, and finally demonstrates how Hans Zimmer is part of this unhummable music trend through his musical landscapes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

K. Waste posted:

sup Willy Loman

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Corek posted:

Zhou linked to this response video on his twitter, which I (and he) thinks is even better than his original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXsH88XlKM

This is a pro-click right here.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly at this point I just wish these videos would drop the "hummability" thing entirely, because they're fun and insightful when they're talking about literally anything else, but utterly useless when trying to provide reasons behind the hummability claim, or reasons why it's important enough to frame the videos around

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
*hums Ant-Man theme in support, whatever it may sound like*

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jenny Angel posted:

Honestly at this point I just wish these videos would drop the "hummability" thing entirely, because they're fun and insightful when they're talking about literally anything else, but utterly useless when trying to provide reasons behind the hummability claim, or reasons why it's important enough to frame the videos around

Pretty much. It's so dumb and subjective unlike the wealth of other criticisms that can be easily demonstrated, such as temp music similarities and how the edit dictate the composers entirely rather than allow them to work with the edit or establish scores to their own tempo constraints.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I thought the response video pretty much dropped that angle entirely, and pointed out that the soundscape was not driven through melody, but through texture.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I thought the response video pretty much dropped that angle entirely, and pointed out that the soundscape was not driven through melody, but through texture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UerLIFo4d6k

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

That's interesting though, because Tony also addressed how badly films can use the score as texture too (like with the Cap America scene).

I think I'm the end he probably just hosed up the structure of his video and thesis in a lot of ways, cause the little valid points within didn't properly form a broader story or concept.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Maluco Marinero posted:

That's interesting though, because Tony also addressed how badly films can use the score as texture too (like with the Cap America scene).

I've said it before but I found this to be an interesting point because, to my knowledge, this is the only time that Marvel "ruined" a scene's score by talking over it. So it seems weird to call it out or really give it any consideration at all.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

I've said it before but I found this to be an interesting point because, to my knowledge, this is the only time that Marvel "ruined" a scene's score by talking over it. So it seems weird to call it out or really give it any consideration at all.

True. If he wanted to hammer home a single point it probably should've been temp music given the multitude of examples.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Maybe movies should start using the Bruce Faulconer DBZ music as temp.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Freakazoid_ posted:

Everyone would recognize the Vegeta theme.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
With regards to the "melody" vs "texture" thing, it's interesting that Golding even has to point out that Zimmer is working not only in terms of different technology, but in a completely different musical discipline from Zhou's favored nostalgic classicism. Like, that clip from Video Killed the Radio Star is way more elucidating than EFaP's man-on-the-beat interviews. It's legit fascinating to see Zimmer's progression from synthpop to power metal, and the kicker is that even this highly textural approach to music is obviously not devoid of, but in fact highly dependent upon the "inception" of melody, if you will.

edit:

You're in Imagination Land. You have complete creative control to make your own superhero/comic book movie. Pitch the concept and the temp music you'll use.

I want to make Black Widow, and my temp music is Converge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxqKjqhnMc4

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 17, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Anyways, the implicit point of comparing MAvengersCU to Star Wars is to say those won't be as memorable in 40 years or whatever.

You might have noticed, in this forum at least, that the conversations surrounding these billion-dollar films just die on the vine. Avengers 2, Force Awakens, Jurassic World....

Captain America Civil War will be remembered the same way people remember, I dunno, Nightmare On Elm Street 5.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Anyways, the implicit point of comparing MAvengersCU to Star Wars is to say those won't be as memorable in 40 years or whatever.

You might have noticed, in this forum at least, that the conversations surrounding these billion-dollar films just die on the vine. Avengers 2, Force Awakens, Jurassic World....

Captain America Civil War will be remembered the same way people remember, I dunno, Nightmare On Elm Street 5.

I was going to call you out on that

But that is the Dream Child, the only actually forgettable Nightmare on Elm Street.

You win this round, SuperMechagodzilla

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The parallel here for a lot of people would probably be something like Pirates of the Caribbean - it was a multibillion dollar franchise that was in the public consciousness as much as the MCU is today, yet who actually thinks about them that much? Even given that a new one is supposedly coming out in a year or so?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

computer parts posted:

The parallel here for a lot of people would probably be something like Pirates of the Caribbean - it was a multibillion dollar franchise that was in the public consciousness as much as the MCU is today, yet who actually thinks about them that much? Even given that a new one is supposedly coming out in a year or so?

Outside of 9/11, Pirates of the Caribbean was one of the fights things I realized would define the '00s. I expect the Stranger Things of the 2030s will feature a kid's room to be decorated with a PoTC poster and probably Star Wars AoTC.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't remember poo poo from Pirates of the Caribbean, but I truly think Captain Jack Sparrow is totally iconic, like Darth Vader.

Also, Pirates at least brought us this, speaking of music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

K. Waste posted:

You're in Imagination Land. You have complete creative control to make your own superhero/comic book movie. Pitch the concept and the temp music you'll use.

I want to make Black Widow, and my temp music is Converge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxqKjqhnMc4

I'm Zack Snyder and I'm just going to steal someone else's score.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

computer parts posted:

People like to compare the superhero 'trend' to westerns, but it's really that the slasher villains of yesteryear have traded their knives for capes. Now we're in a glut of Critters and Leprechauns and whatever.

The best sign of this is that the best superhero film of the last few years is easily Terminator 5, in terms of pure filmic quality.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Terminator 5 had some of the worst casting I've ever seen.

Bad movie

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

After 90 it was diminishing returns, but he can still be proud of lots of that stuff.

He killed it with the original Men in Black and Spider-Man 2 (even if the latter recycled a fair amount of Batman Returns cues). And even though the movie's awful, I really liked what he did with Red Dragon.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Todd McFarlane talking about his idea for the new Spawn movie
https://twitter.com/GeekingOutAMC/status/776911060989116416

Also, I was a fan of Spawn as a kid (mostly the toys) so I made a modern trailer cut for the 1997 movie, which at the time, I thought was awesome as gently caress because I was 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-uWeDRUfpU

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 18, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People still talk about Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child.

No one talks about Spawn, ever.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

People still talk about Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child.

No one talks about Spawn, ever.

I talk about it every now and then! It's not a good movie, but it's a fun little piece of 90s camp, and John Leguizamo throwing his entire self into playing a demon clown is hilarious.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/777224232023580672

Meet Gordon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The new chubby Batman symbol is lame. The only thing I 100% dislike about Batfleck.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I talk about it every now and then! It's not a good movie, but it's a fun little piece of 90s camp, and John Leguizamo throwing his entire self into playing a demon clown is hilarious.

It's way less interesting than The Dream Child.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

It's way less interesting than The Dream Child.

It was legit cool when I was 11 :colbert: I remember going to FAO Schwarz after seeing the movie and buying Attack Spawn Deluxe Boxed Edition with my birthday money.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

when the gently caress is dc gonna do superman v. goku

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Stairmaster posted:

when the gently caress is dc gonna do superman v. goku

Only if all they do for the entire length of the movie is drive bitchin cars.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

More evidence in favor of "What if Snyder-verse Wasn't in Color?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The new chubby Batman symbol is lame. The only thing I 100% dislike about Batfleck.

The bat isn't chubby, its jacked. Look at that bat, it doesn't even skip leg day.

• Locked thread