Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So is it safe to say that the watch band slide in clip hasn't changed at all from S0 to S2? I want to buy a leather strap for my S2 Alu. Any existing band should work, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Martytoof posted:

So is it safe to say that the watch band slide in clip hasn't changed at all from S0 to S2? I want to buy a leather strap for my S2 Alu. Any existing band should work, right?

yep, you're good to go.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Allright, awesome thanks!

Is there a good go-to alternative to the Hermes double tour? Looking to stay under $100CDN and like $70US I guess?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I upgraded from an original 42mm Space Grey Sport to the Gen2 42mm Space Grey - and I have two negatives, and many positives to say about it.

Negatives:
My original gen watch came in a white box, but inside the white box was a really spiffy (looking) clamshell case that the watch itself was in, and beneath it the charger and AC adapter. The Gen2 comes in the same white box, but once you lift out the 'paperwork' layer, the watch is lying in a form-fitting recessed tray. I miss the clamshell! Oh, and underneath that is the charging cable, and it's a 1m cable - the original one was twice as long it seems. (I'm keeping my long one - my brother will get the short one when he buys my old watch. :D)

Positives:
The taptic feedback is at least twice as strong. You really feel those taps on your wrist now!

The sound is at least 25% louder. Very clear, too.

The brightness defaults to 50%... which is what the old watch maxed out at. It's really bright now!

Also the new "turn the crown just a teeny bit to see a very dim watch face" trick is keen as well.

Very happy with my upgrade!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does the S2 still come with two bands (i.e. three pieces total)?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Does the S2 still come with two bands (i.e. three pieces total)?

It came with the black nylon large one already attached - the smaller 'hole' band is in the packaging with the paperwork.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Slammed into an apple story today and easily grabbed a series 1 gold and cocoa. Didn't need that other poo poo and this'll be fine to swim so the speed was all I needed and god drat. It's fast.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Jealous of everyone who got watches today. My preorder for space gray is still showing Sept 30th, bummer I can't get it quicker. I may try and grab one on my next day off and cancel that order.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Slammed into an apple story today and easily grabbed a series 1 gold and cocoa. Didn't need that other poo poo and this'll be fine to swim so the speed was all I needed and god drat. It's fast.

You chose.... Poorly

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Duckman2008 posted:

Jealous of everyone who got watches today. My preorder for space gray is still showing Sept 30th, bummer I can't get it quicker. I may try and grab one on my next day off and cancel that order.

I've seen people on reddit who got 26th-28th shipping dates who's S2s have already shipped/arrived, so 30th shouldn't be too far behind. (I'm 30th as well :negative:)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Endless Mike posted:

You chose.... Poorly

💯👌😎👌💯

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I've been a daily sport user since fall last year, and over all I've been pretty happy with my watch. My expectations were never super high. I would have been happy with just a customizable face with certain app info (complications) and notifications. Texting, replying by voice, and giving siring commands (like setting reminders, especially location/time based) were all icing on the cake for me. The one thing that never panned out was running apps on the watch since it was so slow.

Now with OS3, the apps work now (still a little slow on the S1 but tolerable) which I think will open up a whole new world of functionality. Much like when the app store first appeared for the iPhone, right now it seems developers still haven't figured out what really works on it yet. I'm hopeful for the future now though. I'm a job with that consists of a lot of meetings so it's nice for me to briefly checkout for a minute and check up on some things. Reading text messages at a glance has always been great, but now it's awesome that I can reply with a few strokes. Sure, I could yank my phone out, but that gets distracting for meetings. Kind of the same reason I don't bring my laptop to a meeting unless I'm presenting or running software.

This thing will be perfect the day they're able to make it work without a phone. I feel like if it were un-tether-able right now and I had just a few more solid apps, I wouldn't need to carry my phone around at all without feeling like I'm at a disadvantage living my life (like when you forget your phone at home for a day and can't coordinate anything with anyone or find where things are). It's kind of like backpacking; you bring the bare minimum with you to survive (though not necessarily low tech) so you can get more engaged with your surroundings.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Shouldn't apps open in the same time on the S1 as the S2? I know the S2 has a more power gpu, but that shouldn't affect a majority of apps right now

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Haggins posted:

I've been a daily sport user since fall last year, and over all I've been pretty happy with my watch. My expectations were never super high. I would have been happy with just a customizable face with certain app info (complications) and notifications. Texting, replying by voice, and giving siring commands (like setting reminders, especially location/time based) were all icing on the cake for me. The one thing that never panned out was running apps on the watch since it was so slow.

Now with OS3, the apps work now (still a little slow on the S1 but tolerable) which I think will open up a whole new world of functionality. Much like when the app store first appeared for the iPhone, right now it seems developers still haven't figured out what really works on it yet. I'm hopeful for the future now though. I'm a job with that consists of a lot of meetings so it's nice for me to briefly checkout for a minute and check up on some things. Reading text messages at a glance has always been great, but now it's awesome that I can reply with a few strokes. Sure, I could yank my phone out, but that gets distracting for meetings. Kind of the same reason I don't bring my laptop to a meeting unless I'm presenting or running software.

This thing will be perfect the day they're able to make it work without a phone. I feel like if it were un-tether-able right now and I had just a few more solid apps, I wouldn't need to carry my phone around at all without feeling like I'm at a disadvantage living my life (like when you forget your phone at home for a day and can't coordinate anything with anyone or find where things are). It's kind of like backpacking; you bring the bare minimum with you to survive (though not necessarily low tech) so you can get more engaged with your surroundings.

Yeah, after playing with mine for a while today I agree that it still feels like the Wild West to a certain extent. A lot of apps seem to be based around not being used much under the assumption they were running on the old OS. You can tell something like the Washington Post app is meant to be interacted with and not just glanced at. Hopefully that gets fleshed out.

At this point I wish there was some sort of middle ground where I could get the multi-line complication from Modular on a nicer-looking watch face. The lack of flexibility on that front is somewhat annoying, as is the apparent lack of being able to get new faces.

That said, though, once I get used to having it on my wrist and stop expecting it to be my phone but smaller, I think it'll turn out great. Except for how having no messages to respond to can make one feel lonely enough to attempt to engage with Twitter.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rorus Raz posted:

Shouldn't apps open in the same time on the S1 as the S2? I know the S2 has a more power gpu, but that shouldn't affect a majority of apps right now
Apple Watch Thread: S1 isn't the first one

(Unless they did get a S1 and meant they're still slow on there)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
All I really wanted from os3 was the ability to glance at my watch and see the latest recorded heart rate. Guess that was too much to ask.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

japtor posted:

Apple Watch Thread: S1 isn't the first one

(Unless they did get a S1 and meant they're still slow on there)
They specifically said S1

I have no metric here, but since the S1 and 2 have the same processor, the speeds should be fairly similar?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

All I really wanted from os3 was the ability to glance at my watch and see the latest recorded heart rate. Guess that was too much to ask.

There are plenty of complications to do that. Just looking at the front page of the watch App Store, Cardiogram and HeartWatch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Watch os3 seems to have my series 0 a little snappier. I also like they fixed the workouts so everything is on one screen.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I am keeping my original Watch until next year's model, because honestly I'm not impressed with the changes, but one thing that confuses me is that people are like "oh yeah it's so much faster now".

But looking back I can't think of many times that it mattered, personally.

In real life use, how does the faster processor make your life better on a day-to-day basis?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

eddiewalker posted:

There are plenty of complications to do that. Just looking at the front page of the watch App Store, Cardiogram and HeartWatch.
Yeah but they don't really do what they say. Cardiogran only updates (iirc) when you use the watch app or have your phone unlocked, and HeartWatch updates "about every 10 minutes" which I've found is usually more like every 15-18 minutes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I know for myself, I'm happy with my series 0 with watchOS3. The built in apps perform much better and I assume the popular apps will as well as they get updated. I'll definitely be in for a series 3 though. It sounds corny as gently caress, but the Watch has definitely become an important tool for me.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Taima posted:

I am keeping my original Watch until next year's model, because honestly I'm not impressed with the changes, but one thing that confuses me is that people are like "oh yeah it's so much faster now".

But looking back I can't think of many times that it mattered, personally.

In real life use, how does the faster processor make your life better on a day-to-day basis?

I like not looking like a bitch moron while my watch sits waiting to dictate a message for 45 minutes, personally.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Rorus Raz posted:

I have no metric here, but since the S1 and 2 have the same processor, the speeds should be fairly similar?

I have an S1 and the apps are loading in a few seconds at most, and since I'm leaving them in the dock I'm not even having to mess with that too much.

The only issue I've had is the NPR One app refusing to load at all, but Now Playing still lets me control it and mark stuff as interesting so it's not even that bad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rorus Raz posted:

They also said they've been a sport user since last year so got kinda confused there. I've seen people elsewhere mistakenly thinking series 2 is the new one and the original was retroactively named series 1.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah but they don't really do what they say. Cardiogran only updates (iirc) when you use the watch app or have your phone unlocked, and HeartWatch updates "about every 10 minutes" which I've found is usually more like every 15-18 minutes.
Yeah apps can only update complications like x number of times a day or hour or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I would have considered updating if watchOS 3 didn't speed up my old watch so much.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

japtor posted:

They also said they've been a sport user since last year so got kinda confused there. I've seen people elsewhere mistakenly thinking series 2 is the new one and the original was retroactively named series 1.

Yeah apps can only update complications like x number of times a day or hour or something.

I was confused. I have the original sport.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there a way to schedule DND mode or does it just mimic my iPhone's schedule?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Got my stainless series 2 watch with link band yesterday and I'm in love. This is my first Apple Watch and it's exactly what I wanted.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
When are the S2's supposed to be available if you didn't preorder? I'm actually surprised they aren't available to purchase now, which is probably stupid of me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I've seen people on reddit who got 26th-28th shipping dates who's S2s have already shipped/arrived, so 30th shouldn't be too far behind. (I'm 30th as well :negative:)

Mine got updated today and shipped. I get it Tuesday the 20th. Hooray!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

beergod posted:

When are the S2's supposed to be available if you didn't preorder? I'm actually surprised they aren't available to purchase now, which is probably stupid of me.

I don't know I was looking for my wife and pretty much all the models on the Apple website says ship in 3-5 weeks.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Duckman2008 posted:

Mine got updated today and shipped. I get it Tuesday the 20th. Hooray!

drat, lucky fucker. Are you in the U.S.?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

beergod posted:

Apple Stores get stock every day so if you live nearby one its worth checking in daily.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm in Us (PA), ordered space gray series 2 with nylon black band (already have a sport band).

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

beergod posted:

I walked into an Apple Store this morning and picked up an S2. You could have gone yesterday and picked one up if you wanted to brave the crowds.

In store pickup has been re-enabled on the website so just order it through there and pick it up in store, no need to wait a month.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is the Nike one out? That thing looks loving dope.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

beergod posted:

Is the Nike one out? That thing looks loving dope.

Not till late October.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Taima posted:

Would have been nice this morning while I was waiting at the self check kiosk for Delta while my watch was taking forever to load my drat confirmation number with hundreds of people behind me.

Yes, I'm well aware I could have done that while I was in line. Yes, it was pretty drat dumb. But still, faster speed at that particular moment would have been nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Dunno if it's been done yet, but has anyone seen a direct apples to apples comparison of battery life between S0 and S2? I've heard that the series 2 has much better battery life. If that's true it might actually get me to upgrade.

(I'm particularly interested in the Workouts app--my S0 can complete a marathon, but just barely. If I can make it through with >25% battery that'd be pretty nice.)

• Locked thread