Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

wolffenstein posted:

Correct. 1Password supports adding 2FA tokens that work with Google Authenticator so it's nice not to have a separate app for passwords and tokens.

explain how now. I need this in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

jaegerx posted:

explain how now. I need this in my life.

https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/setting-up-one-time-passwords.html

Similar on the desktop version. Go to Edit a Login item, add a One-Time Password section. It's not truly 2FA if you store your password in the same place as your authenticator token but meh.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
What's the most elegant/"correct" way to back up files from one external HD to another in OS X? I keep my photos on an external drive due to limited HD space, so they're not going to get backed up by Time Machine. Online backup isn't an option at the moment due to my poor internet connectivity.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

surrender posted:

What's the most elegant/"correct" way to back up files from one external HD to another in OS X? I keep my photos on an external drive due to limited HD space, so they're not going to get backed up by Time Machine. Online backup isn't an option at the moment due to my poor internet connectivity.
You want to use Disk Utility to clone the drives. Also most online backup software like CrashPlan and Backblaze are resilient with poor connections; don't let that stop you.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Holy crap, is there a way to prevent HTML5 videos from auto-playing? Like:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/15/politics/donald-trump-obama-birther-united-states/index.html
http://www.macworld.com/article/2042704/how-to-block-auto-play-videos.html

ClickToPlugin doesn't appear to block HTML5 videos (or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it) and ClickToFlash doesn't apply here. I've tried using the "Stop plugins to save power" Safari setting but HTML5 videos still auto play. I've tried several times to figure this out and can't find any way to do it. I really hate videos auto playing. :(

Edit: I used the ClickToPlugin settings featured in this tip, but it didn't work and the documentation says it won't block HTML5.
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/116043/how-can-i-stop-safari-from-playing-videos-on-a-site-automatically

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a dumb question and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for it: can Apple Hardware Test miss bad RAM? I (15" 2011 late macbook pro with most recent os version) have a problem that I'm pretty sure is RAM-related (random restarts and three beeps at startup that goes away for a while when I reseat the RAM) but the hardware test checks out every time.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

This is a dumb question and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for it: can Apple Hardware Test miss bad RAM? I (15" 2011 late macbook pro with most recent os version) have a problem that I'm pretty sure is RAM-related (random restarts and three beeps at startup that goes away for a while when I reseat the RAM) but the hardware test checks out every time.

That's literally what just happened to me if you read upthread in the Hardware thread. I bought a 2015 15", it had a bad WiFi card, random packet loss no other devices were seeing. I convinced them to swap it. The swapped device in a few weeks started having random kernel panics. I lived like this for a week, every single time the kernel panic was related to some sort of weird memory issue. 0xdeadbeef expected, but actually being 0xdead01f4 or something like that. Tried to reinstall OS X, the installer crashed. The diagnostics I ran myself by holding D on boot always came up fine. I was convinced it was a memory issue. Took it into the Apple Store, the guy ran their own Apple diagnostics from his drive while I was explaining my troubleshooting steps and was like "oh yeah it immediately came up with memory errors... let me talk to my manager". Swapped out again, all good this time.

Now, you're not under warranty if it's 2011, so... I don't know. But yeah, they'll be able to detect it. There's probably a way to run memory tests, people suggested I run memtest86+ which apparently CAN boot on a Mac, but I never tried it, I just went to the store and had them swap the hardware out once the problem was identified.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

You can try http://www.memtest86.com like Pivo suggested. There's a free edition. I ran it recently trying to diagnosis some RAM issues and it takes like 20 hours to complete but it's apparently very thorough.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

memtest86 is extremely thorough, if you give it enough time and your RAM is actually bad, it WILL find it. But yeah it takes a shitload of time in my experience using it on PCs for over a decade. Had no idea it can boot on a Mac...
The Apple test found that my poo poo was hosed within minutes. Just not the one that you run yourself by holding D.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 17, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

memtest86 is extremely thorough, if you give it enough time and your RAM is actually bad, it WILL find it. But yeah it takes a shitload of time in my experience using it on PCs for over a decade. Had no idea it can boot on a Mac...
The Apple test found that my poo poo was hosed within minutes. Just not the one that you run yourself by holding D.

I don't know if memtest as a livecd does, but it seems to be bundled with Ubuntu and Arch, and those boot fine when created with unetbootin.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Pivo posted:

What's the other test besides holding D?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Violator posted:

What's the other test besides holding D?

Dunno what it is, never worked at an Apple Store, there's a hardware test they boot either over the network or from a connected drive. It's different than the diagnostics on the recovery partition.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pivo posted:

Dunno what it is, never worked at an Apple Store, there's a hardware test they boot either over the network or from a connected drive. It's different than the diagnostics on the recovery partition.

Thats Apple Service Tools. 2014 and earlier machines need an AST server on their subnet to boot from. 2015s use AST2, which is in the cloud. Those need any Internet connection, and someone with a GSX account to access the console. Once you get connected, either AST version lets the tech run a pretty comprehensive suite of hardware tests.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

wolffenstein posted:

You want to use Disk Utility to clone the drives. Also most online backup software like CrashPlan and Backblaze are resilient with poor connections; don't let that stop you.

I'm not trying to clone the drives - one is a 2GB drive which I'm using for Time Machine, and the other a 4GB drive for photos and other things. I'll look into the online options, though. I'm in sub-Saharan Africa with a metered connection and poor internet speeds, but it'll be worth a try if they have free trials.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pivo posted:

That's literally what just happened to me if you read upthread in the Hardware thread. I bought a 2015 15", it had a bad WiFi card, random packet loss no other devices were seeing. I convinced them to swap it. The swapped device in a few weeks started having random kernel panics. I lived like this for a week, every single time the kernel panic was related to some sort of weird memory issue. 0xdeadbeef expected, but actually being 0xdead01f4 or something like that. Tried to reinstall OS X, the installer crashed. The diagnostics I ran myself by holding D on boot always came up fine. I was convinced it was a memory issue. Took it into the Apple Store, the guy ran their own Apple diagnostics from his drive while I was explaining my troubleshooting steps and was like "oh yeah it immediately came up with memory errors... let me talk to my manager". Swapped out again, all good this time.

Now, you're not under warranty if it's 2011, so... I don't know. But yeah, they'll be able to detect it. There's probably a way to run memory tests, people suggested I run memtest86+ which apparently CAN boot on a Mac, but I never tried it, I just went to the store and had them swap the hardware out once the problem was identified.

Pivo posted:

Thanks! I tried memtest three times and it froze within an hour each time. I swapped the ram for the original chips that came with the computer and it ran fine. I'm running with the original chips now to see if I get any of the same errors, but I'm thinking that memtest freezing suggests the ram was the problem.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 17, 2016

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

surrender posted:

I'm not trying to clone the drives - one is a 2GB drive which I'm using for Time Machine, and the other a 4GB drive for photos and other things. I'll look into the online options, though. I'm in sub-Saharan Africa with a metered connection and poor internet speeds, but it'll be worth a try if they have free trials.

I'm pretty sure Time Machine will back up external drives, but it excludes them by default. Open TM settings while your drive is plugged in and remove it from the exclusions list. (I haven't tried it myself but I think this should work.)

Obviously since your TM drive us smaller than your other external, you're going to run into trouble if you're actually using more than a couple TB on that external.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is the only thread I think this fits.

i have an old ipod nano (30-pin, colour screen, tall - 5th gen I think) that I use with my car stereo. i went to update the songs on there and it wont connect to my iMac.

When I connect it, it will say its connected, syncing, and then show up in iTunes/on the desktop but then briefly flash to a second 'Macintosh HD' and then disappears (saying It wasnt ejected properly). if you leave it connected long enough, it repeats this until the computer has a brain fart and reboots due to an error.

I then did a reset via the menu on the ipod and despite saying it would not affect any songs on there, it is now blank.

I definitely dont care about recovery of what is on there, just want to be able to connect it and dump music back onto it.

have tried several cables and no change in behaviour.

Anyone got any tips?

Violator
May 15, 2003

My dad asked me to help him install an SSD to replace the stock hard drive in his 2009 MBP. He ordered one of those OWC kits that has the SSD, tools, and external case so we should have all of the hardware taken care of.

Any advice for copying the content of his current boot drive to the new one? It looks like I just have to launch SuperDuper, set it to copy from OLD to NEW, and that's it? They suggest rebooting and holding shift to prevent startup items from launching. Maybe I'm just too old now, but I don't have to reboot into a special mode in order to copy system processes that are in use or anything? It almost seems too easy. :O

I'm super excited for him. It's a really old machine, but I think the SSD will knock his socks off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drive. You don't have to do anything weird and it doesn't take long.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I just use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drive. You don't have to do anything weird and it doesn't take long.

Ah, forgot about CCC. That looks like the perfect solution, thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Carbon Copy Cloner is worth the money if you back up drives all day long.

SuperDuper, AFAIK, as soon as it hits a sector it can't read, will totally quit on you and tell you to run a recovery utility, not what you want to see as you're at 3.99 TB copied off a 4.1 TB drive.

CCC will happily retry for as long as you tell it to, and give you a log of what files didn't make it (SuperDuper only started doing this after a number of complaints AFAIK) ; it'll also skip poo poo you can't clone so you at least get something out of a munged backup.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 18, 2016

eames
May 9, 2009

Violator posted:

My dad asked me to help him install an SSD to replace the stock hard drive in his 2009 MBP. He ordered one of those OWC kits that has the SSD, tools, and external case so we should have all of the hardware taken care of.

Any advice for copying the content of his current boot drive to the new one? It looks like I just have to launch SuperDuper, set it to copy from OLD to NEW, and that's it? They suggest rebooting and holding shift to prevent startup items from launching. Maybe I'm just too old now, but I don't have to reboot into a special mode in order to copy system processes that are in use or anything? It almost seems too easy. :O

I'm super excited for him. It's a really old machine, but I think the SSD will knock his socks off.

Yes it should be as easy as that.

Word of warning: I also ordered and installed an SSD in my fathers old MBP (850 EVO in a 15" 2011 I believe). Cloning from the internal HDD to the USB-connected SSD worked fine but the machine won't boot with the SSD connected to the internal SATA port. The boot progress bar just freezes. Tried multiple clones and even a clean install. It will boot fine with the SSD attached via USB.

The logs of the failed boot attempts just show lots of unspecific I/O errors.

Googling suggests that the SATA cables in some earlier unibody MBP models were very flaky and SSDs might be more sensitive than the old HDD in that regard. I've ordered a new cable and am fairly confident that this should fix the issue.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple for some reason allowed the hosed up cables to go into the Mid 2012 13-inch MBP as well, they have a policy that allows that particular model to have its flex cable repaired at no cost.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
I've been having the weirdest issue with my 13" force touch rMBP. At a random moment the Force Touch "click" will stop working (but force touch itself will be functional). The next time I reboot the device I will end up on my login screen at which point the keyboard and touchpad will be unresponsive. For some reason at this point the Force Click will register.

So then I'm stuck on a login screen which doesn't work. Reboot doesn't work, rebooting with CMD+D will get me into diagnostics but there the keyboard doesn't work. I will keep rebooting until for some reason I will be on a grey screen that looks like a password recovery screen (it says things like "I remember my password but it doesn't work" and "I forgot my password"). Here, the touch pad and keyboard will work so if I restart from here everything is fine again.

AppleCare had no idea what it was and said if the problem persists I should take it back. However, this is the same device that had the random freeze issue other force touch macbooks had on a previous version of el capitan. I have a sneaking suspicion this is somehow related and has perhaps snuck back in with the latest update or something.

Anyone else have the same problem?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. I would have Apple take a look at it if you're under warranty. Since you booted into diagnostics, that's off the recovery partition (is it cmd-D? I thought it was just D. Just D works for me), so your install is out of the equation. Keyboard doesn't work in the recovery partition? Sounds like hardware to me. I haven't done a mainboard swap on an rMBP but in the older ones, the top case was connected with a very thin and fragile ribbon cable. If that is a little loose or something, maybe that could cause it.

If you can reliably reproduce it I'm sure the Apple Store will help you out.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Is there a consensus on best deleted file recovery app? For personal use so don't need anything with crazy features and don't mind paying, just something that can do a deep scan of the drive and tell me what files it found and recover them. On Windows I'd use Recuva, but for macOS it's hard for me to tell the shovelware from good apps that are kept updated.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Pivo posted:

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. I would have Apple take a look at it if you're under warranty. Since you booted into diagnostics, that's off the recovery partition (is it cmd-D? I thought it was just D. Just D works for me), so your install is out of the equation. Keyboard doesn't work in the recovery partition? Sounds like hardware to me. I haven't done a mainboard swap on an rMBP but in the older ones, the top case was connected with a very thin and fragile ribbon cable. If that is a little loose or something, maybe that could cause it.

If you can reliably reproduce it I'm sure the Apple Store will help you out.

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure about being able to reliably reproduce it, happened for the first time this afternoon and hoped it was a one-off weird thing but then it happened in the exact same sequence a few hours later. Still really hoping it just goes away but this thing has had issues before so I'm not very happy with it right now.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

When you had the prior issues, was a repair performed?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

Pivo posted:

When you had the prior issues, was a repair performed?

The first was switched out after about a week of owning it due to (probably) an issue with the SSD. This machine crashed on save/open dialogs because of it. This one has previously had the random freeze issue which happened about twice to three times a week until a software update fixed it.

I mean, it's a 1600 euro machine. I've had it since April and it's had more issues (and more serious ones) than my cheap windows machine had in it's first three years.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah, my current rMBP has to be swapped out twice. First for WiFi issues, second for RAM corruption. Third time's the charm, right? All's good for now, fingers crossed.
Something's up with Apple QA. My machine cost 3400 CAD.
I am unhappy with my experience, but I am happy with Apple's continued commitment to resolving these issues at the retail level, so hopefully it's just a blip, or we're just unlucky & vocal. I've gotten a lot of DOA PC parts, but this is the first time I've had such an experience with Apple machines in over a decade.

Good luck...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I have the Sierra GM installed and apparently my late 2012 iMac barely misses the cutoff for supporting auto lock with Apple Watch. Are there any hacks for enabling it for older computers?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I have the Sierra GM installed and apparently my late 2012 iMac barely misses the cutoff for supporting auto lock with Apple Watch. Are there any hacks for enabling it for older computers?

I THINK MacID might do it with AppleWatch? no idea if it works with your particular model but this chart https://macid.co/#compatibility
says 2012 iMac so hopefully!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I THINK MacID might do it with AppleWatch? no idea if it works with your particular model but this chart https://macid.co/#compatibility
says 2012 iMac so hopefully!

Thanks but I'm trying to get Apple's own solution to work since the third party ones are a bit too slow for me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think you need to swap the Bluetooth device and then run this:

https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool/tree/master

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

I think you need to swap the Bluetooth device and then run this:

https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool/tree/master

Hmm. Continuity already works fine for me between my iPhone/Watch/Mac. It's just auto unlock that doesn't.

EDIT: Apparently my iMac doesn't support it because it doesn't have 802.11ac so I'm probably screwed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cawd Rud posted:

Is there a consensus on best deleted file recovery app? For personal use so don't need anything with crazy features and don't mind paying, just something that can do a deep scan of the drive and tell me what files it found and recover them. On Windows I'd use Recuva, but for macOS it's hard for me to tell the shovelware from good apps that are kept updated.

Sounds like you want a data carving program. Scalpel works but takes forever. I think it's Linux only but it works with NTFS drives, not sure if it'll do HFS, doubly so if you have FileVault on.

Check: http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Tools:Data_Recovery

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What's the best bet for running windows programs on a Mac (Explorer...) - parallels / vmware / vagrant? Bootcamp?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

well why not posted:

What's the best bet for running windows programs on a Mac (Explorer...) - parallels / vmware / vagrant? Bootcamp?

Parallels is generally regarded to be the fastest solution. Well, I suppose Boot Camp would be, but it's true dual booting that requires a reboot to switch between OSes. VMware works just fine, too, but isn't quite as efficient as Parallels. They also ceased production of VMware Fusion last I checked, so if you're interested in updates, I'd go for Parallels.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Parallels can also use your Bootcamp partition as a VM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

enojy posted:

They also ceased production of VMware Fusion last I checked, so if you're interested in updates, I'd go for Parallels.

They released a new version last week for 10 Anniversary guests and Sierra hosts as a free upgrade for current users. I get Fusion at a big discount so I use it over Parallels which I haven't touched in 3-4 years, and it works very well. They can both use Bootcamp partitions as VMs.