Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm painting Karnedge Gorefathom now, so onwards and upwards. Next month is a water theme in the oath thread, so deciding on whether to break out the Kraken, Goroloth, or the Frog Demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

And here he is

NTRabbit posted:

:eonwe: OATH COMPLETE :eonwe:

His bonesium platform shoe will once again be cut off once the basing for his army has been arranged, but he can't stand up without it, so I've left it on for now.

Claiming Box Art:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/karnedge/latest/03625#detail/03625_p_1_mp

Also claiming Summer’s here! Time to relax... with a mini that is well over 50% skin

This month I'm gonna go for the Kraken, if I get it done quickly I might be able to paint something else too

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was seriously back and forth on the Frogemoth during the pledge and opted now, now with the sample up I am kind of sad that I didn't splurge out that much more. I don't have any use for it, but its a near unique creature that would look fun to paint.

Also, I decided to oath my skeleton pirate captain this month, and this led me to realize that Reaper has an entire line of skeleton pirates under the 'Razig' tag. Why didn't these guys get into one of the Bones runs? It's pretty pricey to get a whole crew at the moment, but Bones these guys up and I bet tons of people would love a skeleton pirate crew.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
While waiting for Bones 3, I decided to get an Ogre Chieftain model from my FLGS to get familiar with the material. His club is a little twisted. What's the trick to straightening it? Hot water? Or do I find a new weapon from my bits box and replace it?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Immerse it in hot (like even up to boiling temps!) water, it'll tend to self-correct, and if it needs further correction, simply put the piece where/how you want it and hold it in place while you douse it in ice water, it'll lock in quite nicely. You can also use that feature to do some limited posing, depending on the model (skeletons are extremely compliant, giants not so much.) You can repeat the process as many times as needed until you get it just the way you want.

And just to be clear: don't microwave your bones, just the water they're going to take a bath in.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Heat up a pot of water on the stove. Some people say boiling but I don't think it needs to be. Drop the model in for a bit and pull it out. You know when it's ready when you touch it. Hold it in the shape you want and dunk it in a bowl of ice water. This is also a good time to scrub the poo poo out of it to get the mold release off it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, definitely doesn't need to be boiling, but I always mention that to assuage any concerns about getting the water too hot, which isn't really a concern unless the mini is in direct contact with the heat source.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
That did the trick, thanks!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NTRabbit posted:

:peanut: OATH COMPLETE :peanut:

Kraken!

Claiming Life's a beach! for the Kraken

Decided to go with a real world red rather than more fantasy colours for my Kraken. Gave the ship a blue wash to make it look more submerged.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That is a really nice job, first time I have seen the model all painted up. I like the real-world color choice.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cheers :buddy: i primed it white, then stared at it for a week trying to come up with a colour combo that wasn't bad or samey, and after looking at pics of Colossal Squid decided to go with the red, because apparently squid can change their body colour to anything, and Humboldt squid use red to display aggression...I think. Solid red for the armour, red wash over white for the semi translucent squid flesh look.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I've got a translucent bones fig (one of the wraiths) that can't stand up on its own. Can I reshape it like regular bonesium with the boiling water/ice water dips?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yup.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Here's the Ogre dude I recently painted. I somehow managed to forgot the cold water part of "Apply hot water to make it bendy and cold water to make it hard" so the club is still slightly off, but I didn't notice it until I was almost finished. Besides, I bought this model specifically to learn how to work with the material.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Bones tends to gradually relax back to its original shape anyway, don't sweat it too much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New update about freight shipping bankruptcies and poo poo, but who cares about that(since it doesn't matter to Reaper really), Bones Core Set pictures!

the most sugoi mr. bones

And another Kaladrax-esque Chinese fuckup!

quote:

Now, an astute observer will notice those Weapon Sprues in the foreground. We've showcased those before, but not on Sprue. When you open your Core Set, you will get the sprues, just like that.

You'll also notice is that there's not one but two copies of each weapon on each sprue.

You may also notice that during the project, we only promised one copy. We had originally asked for them to put two on each mold, thinking that the molds would be made so that we could fill 2 orders with one "press". Well, that didn't get communicated effectively, and our original prototypes we approved were loose items, so we didn't know this was going to be an issue.

So we had to make a decision - re-cut the mold, which would add even more time (ugh!) before fulfillment could begin, or give out what we have above. As a result, you, the backer, will be receiving TWO copies of each weapon in every core set, AND on every set of weapons you ordered through the pledge manager (even if you ordered colored weapons)! That's right - our error will result in even more free rewards for you!

I ordered a half dozen or so of each weapon set, woop woop!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I skipped adding extra weapons because I really couldn't think of a need for them, but that's ok, the extras from the core set should be more than I'll ever need

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That core set picture is amazing, almost makes me wish I ordered it! :v:

Nice bonus to whoever ordered weapons; I am assuming its not going to hurt them too badly when it all shakes out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Probably a difference of 3 cents of material per sprue, if that, nothing like the difference in productions costs between little and big Kaladrax. All it would hurt is sales, in that someone who was going to buy two at retail is now only going to buy one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

x2 I guess, right on

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This post is a reminder to myself, as well as a handful of other scofflaws, that we owe Bad Munki a painted miniature.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Great shame. Great.

I have actually had the mini painted for about a year. Just not the base. I've also not painted anything in about a year.

I blame Munki, somehow.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

New update about freight shipping bankruptcies and poo poo, but who cares about that(since it doesn't matter to Reaper really), Bones Core Set pictures!

the most sugoi mr. bones

ugh im regretting this purchase

my great shame will force me to paint every one of these :rip:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Bachtere posted:

Great shame. Great.

I have actually had the mini painted for about a year. Just not the base. I've also not painted anything in about a year.

I blame Munki, somehow.

hey there great shame buddy :negative::hf::negative:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Yeah I'm hosting a painting party to get the rest of my bones 1 & 2 punched out before part 3 arrives.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah I'm hosting a painting party to get the rest of my bones 1 & 2 punched out before part 3 arrives.

Godspeed, you insane person, you.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The latest comments on the KS seem to imply they're confident they'll ship it out "before the end of the year" so you might have time for a couple parties

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

This post is a reminder to myself, as well as a handful of other scofflaws, that we owe Bad Munki a painted miniature.

_Some_ of us were fine upstanding goons, and actually delivered. :|

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bad Munki posted:

Godspeed, you insane person, you.

While a painting party is mostly an excuse to drink, it's been pretty funny. Because I figured out that I have 5-6 minutes a model including priming I'm just doing a really basic process for all the non 'showpiece' minis.

Airbrush Zenithal prime with black and grey
3-4 color Base coat
Minwax dip
If I am feeling excited dry brush some highlights on
Airbrush Matt varnish
Pretend any mistakes never happened.

So I'm just banging them out as fast as possible which results in the following snark from my players:

"Hrm this isn't a very good paint job, I can do better" "Okay here are some brushes" *Two hours later* "OK I've finished one, still needs some highlighting though" "If I took 2 hours a model I'd finish painting some time next decade" "Ohhhh"

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Does anyone happen to have a Starship Generator they could measure? Looking to use it for an Infinity objective, but I don't want something too oversized.

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Chronoscope/latest/80053#detail/80053_w_1

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I think it's like an inch, inch and a half. Definitely doable as an objective, although it will not fit on a 25mm base.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Signal posted:

I think it's like an inch, inch and a half. Definitely doable as an objective, although it will not fit on a 25mm base.

What about a 40mm?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Hmm, maybe. When I get home I'll see if I can find mine

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

What about a 40mm?

Looks like it'd fit on a 40mm no problem. I hope to use it for a beacon marker, which is 25mm. If it's a bit over it'd probably be just fine. No one busts out the micrometers around here.

I'm using a bunch of the Starship Terminals for consoles. Those are 35mm wide, so I might toss them on a 40mm since that's an easy enough adjustment.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

PirateDentist posted:

Looks like it'd fit on a 40mm no problem. I hope to use it for a beacon marker, which is 25mm. If it's a bit over it'd probably be just fine. No one busts out the micrometers around here.

Yeah, this is what I'm after. I was looking at these the other day for the same purpose as you.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm after. I was looking at these the other day for the same purpose as you.

:hfive:

I'm thinking about attempting to stick a tiny blinky LED on an antenna (AKA, small wire) that sticks out of the top. The wire for the LED could coil around the antenna wire like it was extended from the base, the inside is hollow from some pictures I've seem. Might be enough for a tiny battery and maybe a microswitch.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

PirateDentist posted:

Does anyone happen to have a Starship Generator they could measure? Looking to use it for an Infinity objective, but I don't want something too oversized.

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Chronoscope/latest/80053#detail/80053_w_1

3cm x 2.25cm (ish)

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

8one6 posted:

3cm x 2.25cm (ish)

Close enough for government work! Thanks!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

In light of reaper's latest update, I have to wonder if there was anyone joining this that didn't expect there to be a lot of waiting and inevitable delays involved. I think that has happened every time, and there is basically no way to get millions of units produced in china and shipped to you without some hiccups. Am I just super chill in having assumed that fulfillment would be +six months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You're not the only one, I'm generally unphased by reasonable and predictable KS delays, but some people take their angry pills and go keyboard bashing the second it reaches the close of business on the last day the KS could have arrived and still been on time, even on repeat "duh" projects like Reaper.

I'm painting the tower from Dragons Don't Share this month, potentially Nathavarr as well if I get enough time, but the raiding party will have to wait for a while.

• Locked thread