Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

eSporks posted:

It's no shock to me that publishers would turn down a full loot PVP focused MMO. We haven't had a successful one in over a decade unless you count Day Z. The mainstream market wants to watch numbers climb not see gear lost.

For the love of all that is holy, I really hope they stick with the full loot plan. I don't know why Shadow babe decided to change it right before launch.

Well, "full loot" is only one of the planned campaigns (though it will be the first one they'll be testing, as I understand it). One of the core ideas of Crowfall is the fact that they can run multiple types of campaigns that can have different rulesets that would cater to different kinds of players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
friends, id love to see campaign resets solve the establishment circlejerk decline of full loot mmos. i bet 30 bucks on it, too.

i fear that while it has a shot at solving it, it brings its own problems like FPS sore loser syndrome. example: one week into campaign 34 leetdudebros guild with about 100 people goes up against cheetosniffers with roughly 80. leetbros arent quite as coordinated and lose their first decisive battle. cheetos win and the majority of leetbros go 'welp, #34 is a bust, we'll be back for 35!" meanwhile cheetosniffers go on unopposed and crush all the smaller groups

repeat until everyone joins a zerg or stops playing. even if there are strong incentives to keep competing, once the game has been out for a few months we will all know what the benefits of struggling against the established powers in a campaign will be and where the 'worth it' cutoff is. there's no game mechanics that prevent people from solving this equation

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Reddit AMA summarized https://www.reddit.com/r/crowfall/comments/533zyc/916_crowfall_ama_w_j_todd_coleman_gordon_walton/

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
What's this damage splitting everyone has been bitching about lately?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
requesting a new thread title

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
I'm looking forward to being a giant zerg of fail and splinter guilds and drama.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Draynar posted:

I'm looking forward to being a giant zerg of fail and splinter guilds and drama.

With goons cresting waves of different campaign worlds only to circle back and crash into each other, this will be very fun

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Foolish pubbie, never realizing goons are their own worst enemy.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Lastgirl posted:

requesting a new thread title

This guy knows what he's talking about too: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/13382-i-kalus-konkwest/

He's been gaming since he was 5 years old on an old apple 2d with a monochrome monitor. He's literally seen and done it all, and is an expert on experts. Oh wait, his only real MMO experience is in CoX (lol) and Eve... the one game where goons (somehow) did good in :iiam:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i think we are all winners and successful people :peanut:

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

2DCAT posted:

This guy knows what he's talking about too: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/13382-i-kalus-konkwest/

He's been gaming since he was 5 years old on an old apple 2d with a monochrome monitor. He's literally seen and done it all, and is an expert on experts. Oh wait, his only real MMO experience is in CoX (lol) and Eve... the one game where goons (somehow) did good in :iiam:

Did i just see a game resume? Always a sign of doing well in life.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

malhavok posted:

What's this damage splitting everyone has been bitching about lately?
I read something about AOE spells splitting damage among their targets, maybe it's that.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

2DCAT posted:

Soooo.... goons scammed his pants off in EVE, got it.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

eSporks posted:

I read something about AOE spells splitting damage among their targets, maybe it's that.

That seems to defeat the purpose of having AOE spells.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Yeah then you'd only end up using aoes on single targets.

I could maybe see it working if for each person hit by an aoe, the damage to each is reduced by 10% or something, with like 50% max reduction. That might help with overabundant aoe spam in big fights.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
That sounds horrid if you start taking damage reduction into account if it's any form of a flat value since you'll basically be hitting it twice. Outside of the fact that it just sounds horrid, unless the game has ONLY AoE skills at which point it's just meh.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Played the test last night game is fun and good when it's working properly; makes it start to feel real clunky though.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

cathead posted:

Well, "full loot" is only one of the planned campaigns (though it will be the first one they'll be testing, as I understand it). One of the core ideas of Crowfall is the fact that they can run multiple types of campaigns that can have different rulesets that would cater to different kinds of players.

Think it through, though. Full loot will become a ghost town almost by definition.

The nice thing is that the other campaigns that aren't full loot will probably pick up the players who want nothing to do with full loot, so at least they've got a good back up plan.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Love reading about the game design stuff some new stuff on harvesting: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1214/feature/11183/page/1

(Hope game starts looking better soon game play wise it's pretty janky from videos it seems)

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Draynar posted:

Love reading about the game design stuff some new stuff on harvesting: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1214/feature/11183/page/1

(Hope game starts looking better soon game play wise it's pretty janky from videos it seems)

The ideas for the game are solid, hope they deliver.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

quote:

I think youre right about hardcore guilds with multiVIP: I think some will end up demanding it: The Crow Vessel system as described makes it impossible for someone who wants to be absolutely the best they can be in PvP to also do exploring / harvesting on a single account.

They MUST multiaccount. They must run VIP for multiaccount.
Casual players are just going to walk away from this.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/13546-mmorpgcom-exclusive-harvesting/

:allears:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

And separate computers for each as well, just so each account operates at maximum efficiency.

I'm reminded of that dude who 40 boxed WoW.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Anoia posted:

And separate computers for each as well, just so each account operates at maximum efficiency.

I'm reminded of that dude who 40 boxed WoW.

WoW is clearly p2w if you can 40 man solo.
And Crowfall is just not going to be casual friendly, not for me; top guilds will require you to have a server room.
It is a game for the whales I say; a game for the whales!!

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Doggir posted:

And Crowfall is just not going to be casual friendly, not for me; top guilds will require you to have a server room.

Top guilds? You mean casual trash that isn't running up a $50k AWS bill every month.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

i think we are all winners and successful people :peanut:

scoop if true

I can't wait to steal a lot of things from people who think alting will make them win at life

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

http://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-duelist-powers-ui/

Guinecians are inconceivably good.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Any game that has Princes Bride references can't possibly be bad.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This might just be the best game since A Bard's Tale.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Think it may be time to pay off that layaway pledge I have
http://crowfall.com/en/news/founders-update-big-world-development/

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Eh, close the oven, it hasn't even begun to rise yet. Insert your own "it's too early to give a poo poo about yet" analogy here.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Game looks potentially good and cool but possibly not good and cool. I'm bookmarkin' tho to possibly jump in on this early on if it gets good and cool. Really want to salt harvest some pubbies in something, used to run a disarm thief in UO that was fun as hell, and this game looks like the balance between "temporary shards and real competition" and "characters are persistent so you're not doing the same level 1 grind a billion times" might be there.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I can tell it will be a fun game to mess with people in because there's tons of hardcore PVP orgs with military ranks

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^ Caveat that you can actually mess with them and they won't just curbstomp you forever

So they are literally WoW outlaw rogues, cool

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Stormgale posted:

^^ Caveat that you can actually mess with them and they won't just curbstomp you forever

So they are literally WoW outlaw rogues, cool

Yeah someone told me that and I had to look it up and it is absolutely true in every way.

Haha. Oh well. They're still good.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Capntastic posted:

Yeah someone told me that and I had to look it up and it is absolutely true in every way.

Haha. Oh well. They're still good.

Well yeah, the way they are making combo points influence your amount of rolls instead of duration (like in wow) Is better i think.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I kinda hate the idea of a random buff. Randomness is generally dumb in competitive, and how do your design your build or play style around something random? The other classes seemed more unique, kind of a bummer they aren't taking a risk on this one. Oh well, nothing is final now, lets see how this shakes out. And yeah, don't spend money on this game right now. It sounds promising, and they definitely have a clear idea of what they want the game to be, rather than just a list of features. Everything is just way too early to tell if its going to be good or not.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Ashrik posted:

Eh, close the oven, it hasn't even begun to rise yet. Insert your own "it's too early to give a poo poo about yet" analogy here.

Isn't it "soft-launching" this year?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Isn't it "soft-launching" this year?

yea

i love how soft-launching is just a buzzword for alpha/beta testing

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Lastgirl posted:

i love how soft-launching is just a buzzword for alpha/beta testing

Except it's neither a buzzword, nor a synonym for alpha/beta testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

eSporks posted:

Randomness is generally dumb in competitive
Good thing Crowfall is not being marketed or designed as a competitive MMO or I'd have one more thing to not give a poo poo about.