Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Buy two and swap them out to charge every 12 hours.

Can't wait until they integrate that OTA-charging technology and I can charge my watch while I sleep.

Also can't wait for the inevitable cancer lump on my wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Bum the Sad posted:

People who have $10,000 to spend on a watch expect that watch to last more than a couple years.

Martytoof posted:

I'm shocked.

When I worked at the Apple Store in Seattle, rich dudes from Asia would periodically come by and buy all stock of the gold edition watch to take back home.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I dunno, I'm kind of with you on this one. I really like the gold aluminum model.

The gold-gold one is probably over the top for me :smith:
The gold ones were great if you wanted to let everyone know you're dumb enough to spend the cost of a good used car on tech that would be obsolete in a year.

The ceramic ones are, at least, not insanely priced (though I have to see one in person before I really decide what I think - in photos, they just look like the same polycarbonate that iPhones 5C were made of, which is not really what they're going for).

I'm vaguely tempted by the Hermes deployment strap, and I feel kinda gross about it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Bum the Sad posted:

People who have $10,000 to spend on a watch expect that watch to last more than a couple years.

I think it was a Jony Ive ego trip.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dexter6 posted:

What sleep app are people using? I want one that will do the Sleep Cycle thing where it wakes you up before your alarm at the right time for your body.

Don't think there's anything close to Sleep Cycle with watch support. There's Sleep++ which you need to start/stop but works well enough if you get into the habit of using it. So if all you want is to track sleep then this works great and can be used 100% from the watch without messing with the phone. Then there's Pillow which (when it came out) was a massive piece of poo poo because it tracked Sleep in like minute long increments so you're health data was spammed rather than getting one 6-8 hour long sleep. It may be fixed but you still need to start (on the phone THEN the watch) to use.

That said, right now I can't get either to work because my watch says the apps don't have permission to motion and fitness data even though they do. I'm guessing something went funky with the watch backup now that I'm on a new phone and it's something something off. I've tried force-rebooting and re-installing the app and I can't get it working.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 19, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I'm vaguely tempted by the Hermes deployment strap, and I feel kinda gross about it.

Is that the one with the two buckles? It looks allright. I'm looking for a good clone of the Hermes double-tour S0 band on Amazon but they all have terribad reviews :\

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Is that the one with the two buckles? It looks allright. I'm looking for a good clone of the Hermes double-tour S0 band on Amazon but they all have terribad reviews :\
No, it's the one with the deployment strap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What is everyone's move goal set to? Mine just ticked up to 570 this week and I think the highest its ever been is like 650 or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Oh. I had no idea that thing had an actual name. I thought that was just some term Hermes used for a dumb two buckle thing v:unsmith:v

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

What is everyone's move goal set to? Mine just ticked up to 570 this week and I think the highest its ever been is like 650 or something.

940 and I usually blow that out of the water by at least 25%.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

housefly posted:

940 and I usually blow that out of the water by at least 25%.

drat I guess I need to step up my game...

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

drat I guess I need to step up my game...

I usually burn around 3500-4500 calories a day according to this thing. I'm a pretty active person.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Martytoof posted:

I'm shocked.

Anyone know off the top of their head how Apple Store availability is refreshed? Should I be checking multiple times a day to see if I can reserve in-store pickup, or if it shows no availability at 8am that'll be the same for the rest of the day?

I hope stock levels even out this week. I don't want to have to wait until October :|

TraderStav posted:

In the Oct 17-28 window so would love to know the answer to this as well. I have four stores within an hour of me.

Was able to answer my own question. Kept periodically checking the website but not adding to the Bag, there's a link to checking store availability. Before I left for lunch there was nothing within 150 miles of me, just randomly checked again and one store had a big green available icon. So just keep checking I guess.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Apple watch to unlock my mac is pretty rad. Thanks apple. I've tried poo poo like MacID before and its always a slow sack of poo poo but not this... not this. It's good. Thank you Tim.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Apple watch to unlock my mac is pretty rad. Thanks apple. I've tried poo poo like MacID before and its always a slow sack of poo poo but not this... not this. It's good. Thank you Tim.

Ugh, that reminds me that I've been kind of displeased with MacID lately and how sometimes it just doesn't work for upwards of 10 seconds after waking from sleep. I dunno if it mandates a $250+ smartwatch for me, though.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

housefly posted:

I usually burn around 3500-4500 calories a day according to this thing. I'm a pretty active person.

... what the gently caress? Are you an Olympic athlete?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
He's 750lbs and that's his basal metabolic rate.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Was able to answer my own question. Kept periodically checking the website but not adding to the Bag, there's a link to checking store availability. Before I left for lunch there was nothing within 150 miles of me, just randomly checked again and one store had a big green available icon. So just keep checking I guess.

Thanks!

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Is there anything special about enabling the unlock with your watch feature? Because it's turned on and all it seems to do is make it take a few seconds longer for my computer to ask for my password. It has yet to actually unlock with my watch...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SaturdayKnight posted:

Is there anything special about enabling the unlock with your watch feature? Because it's turned on and all it seems to do is make it take a few seconds longer for my computer to ask for my password. It has yet to actually unlock with my watch...

I believe you need 2 step authentication to be enabled on your account as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you need their new authentication, and Sierra of course. But when it works it feels like the future.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I believe you need 2 step authentication to be enabled on your account as well.

Yup that's done. I've followed all the rules, restarted everything and yet, nothing happens. Every time. And there's no interface through which I can see what's happening so outside of giving up, I don't know what else I can do.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Taima posted:

... what the gently caress? Are you an Olympic athlete?

Not from activity. Just total. I'm a larger framed guy who lifts weights five times a week and does cardio 5-7 days per week.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SaturdayKnight posted:

Yup that's done. I've followed all the rules, restarted everything and yet, nothing happens. Every time. And there's no interface through which I can see what's happening so outside of giving up, I don't know what else I can do.

Do you have wifi on on the Mac? It can still be connected via Ethernet, but wifi must be enabled. That's what was tripping me up. USB3 devices can also interfere with the signal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are you sure you have 2 factor and not 2 step on? That messed me up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What OS are you running? You need to be on Sierra. If so, did you go to System Preferences-->Security & Privacy-->General and turn it on? From there it should tell you if you need two-factor turned on or not.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I got my S2 today, it's very nice. Haven't gotten much time with it yet but wanted to know what workout setting is best for Crossfit (I go to a knockoff gym) tracking? Other?

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

TraderStav posted:

I got my S2 today, it's very nice. Haven't gotten much time with it yet but wanted to know what workout setting is best for Crossfit (I go to a knockoff gym) tracking? Other?

I use "other" when I lift. There doesn't seem to be a better option than that.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Can anyone explain how to correctly backup fitness data when getting a new watch? I thought I had it but lost a day when getting my new phone which was annoying

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I had to switch from 2 step to 2 factor to get that checkbox to appear, and it's checked. Wifi is on, everything on apples site says I'm ready to go. My watch knows my wifi, same network, everything according to the documentation is perfect.

And yet I get a whole lot of nothing. Probably just gonna give up on it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Consummate Professional posted:

Can anyone explain how to correctly backup fitness data when getting a new watch? I thought I had it but lost a day when getting my new phone which was annoying

You either have to do it either through iCloud or through an encrypted backup on iTunes or it won't back up health data.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm talking about your iPhone backup since Apple Watch backups are tied to that.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 20, 2016

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SaturdayKnight posted:

I had to switch from 2 step to 2 factor to get that checkbox to appear, and it's checked. Wifi is on, everything on apples site says I'm ready to go. My watch knows my wifi, same network, everything according to the documentation is perfect.

Is bluetooth turned on for all 3 devices?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Consummate Professional posted:

Its all on your phone, not your watch. When your phone backups up all your content on the watch is backed up too.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is bluetooth turned on for all 3 devices?

Yup. And I've scanned the local Bluetooth traffic and it's not much so it's not an interference issue. So I'm stumped.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SaturdayKnight posted:

I've had mine not work sometimes through the beta period but that generally seemed to correspond to when one os was recently updated and one wasn't. I assume you've tried restarting everything?

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've had mine not work sometimes through the beta period but that generally seemed to correspond to when one os was recently updated and one wasn't. I assume you've tried restarting everything?

Yeah. My phones battery is being garbage so I'm probably gonna wipe and re-set it up. And that'll wipe the watch too. See if that fixes it all.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What's the thread title mean?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dexter6 posted:

The user known as "Three Olives" is never correct

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

dexter6 posted:

Before the watch came out I believe he estimated the price would be around $1000 for the entry level model or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Endless Mike posted:

Martytoof posted:

Oh. I had no idea that thing had an actual name. I thought that was just some term Hermes used for a dumb two buckle thing v:unsmith:v

It's deployant.

• Locked thread