Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lobok posted:

Isn't this basically Inspector Gadget, too?

Maybe. The way I remember him he was basically incompetent but did have working knowledge of what exactly his enhancements could do, while Gizmoduck was basically the opposite, a competent person who has no idea what his exosuit did or how it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

I wanna read a story about a cyborg who's terrible with computers and has no idea how any of their poo poo works.

Someone who can't keep their arm steady because they keep borderline punching the touchscreen built into it like old people do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntZcgb_EMII

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

greatn posted:

Maybe. The way I remember him he was basically incompetent but did have working knowledge of what exactly his enhancements could do, while Gizmoduck was basically the opposite, a competent person who has no idea what his exosuit did or how it worked.

Yeah I think Gadget knew what he could do but was a total bumbler and never activated the right enhancement.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lobok posted:

Yeah I think Gadget knew what he could do but was a total bumbler and never activated the right enhancement.

Only because he has to call out its name explicitly.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYMkqDVyKcI

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That is my favorite Argento movie too.

I actually haven't reached it yet in my Argento watching. I just love the soundtrack, especially Jennifer's theme and Sleepwalking.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

computer parts posted:

Wasn't that Elysium?

Hah, yep. Can't believe I didn't think of it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
After hinting at it last week, Todd McFarlene says another Spawn movie is happening. He's already finished the script and wants to do a total 180 from the previous Spawn movie. Apparently, Spawn will be "like Jaws" in that he is not the main character of his own movie and is occupying the edges of the narrative.

It's going to be a whole cloth reboot and not based on anything from the original.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
*checks calendar* Yep, 20 years on the dot. Time for a reboot.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I want to say that DC pushes Cyborg so hard because he's easier to translate into other mediums than Martian Manhunter.

Which I kinda understand (Mars and whatnot) but they've utterly failed to promote Cyborg's character beyond Robocop. A bad robocop really. His existential crisis is never really made the focus and he usually ends up a technobabble source.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't believe McFarlane and his professional workmates have the writing chops to make a Spawn movie not about Spawn be even remotely interesting or exciting.

Without Spawn are they gonna focus on his wife instead? A rando teen on the run from *authorities*? A clown demon (okay, that might be cool)?

Like, even Nightmare on Elm Street focused on Freddy a lot, but if they want to do some sort of Friday 13th Slasher/anti-hero flick it's going to be boring.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People like to compare the superhero 'trend' to westerns, but it's really that the slasher villains of yesteryear have traded their knives for capes. Now we're in a glut of Critters and Leprechauns and whatever.
There still hasn't been a superhero film as awful or offensive as Leprechaun, so there's that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The best sign of this is that the best superhero film of the last few years is easily Terminator 5, in terms of pure filmic quality.

Terminator 5 was a loving travesty

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Drifter posted:

Without Spawn are they gonna focus on his wife instead? A rando teen on the run from *authorities*? A clown demon (okay, that might be cool)?
I remember hearing about the idea for a potential Spawn reboot over a decade ago. The idea is that it would revolve around Sam and Twitch (Spawn's Gordon and Bullock), and that Spawn would more or less be a behind the scenes force of nature. Almost like a Batman movie from Gordon's point of view.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
DC made that animated Arkham film that was basically a prototype for Suicide Squad. That had Batman as a secondary character, it worked pretty good. Kinda.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

DC made that animated Arkham film that was basically a prototype for Suicide Squad. That had Batman as a secondary character, it worked pretty good. Kinda.

I'm expecting Justice League: War to be a similar template as well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can kinda see Spawn working as an homage to anthology horror flicks. Happily married couple Terry and Wanda Fitzgerald deal with a mysterious and seemingly supernatural stalker, cops Sam and Twitch are left increasingly disturbing clues to a conspiracy, CIA agent Jason Wynn is haunted by a decision he made many years ago, and a writer is investigating rumours in the local homeless community. I feel like this could work very well if you focus on Spawn as a mysterious figure like the Cloverfield monster, except not as a found footage movie. Show the results of what he does, keep him in the shadows, reveal the true extent of his power briefly at the end but we don't linger on his fight with a demon, we follow whoever character happens to be present as they get the gently caress out of there and "will perhaps never know the truth."

... but yeah I don't think they have the writing chops either. A while ago I read the first 150 issues or so of Spawn and while there was a period where it was actually quite good, and a period where they noticably kept Spawn in the background of the stories, I can't remember if they were the same period.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I liked War, but it's the animated version of New 52's original Justice League arc. I can't see them directly translating a comic story to screen like that. While it would be great if they did that, I can't help but wonder how it would work since Green Lantern was a pretty prominent character in the story.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The best sign of this is that the best superhero film of the last few years is easily Terminator 5, in terms of pure filmic quality.

Man, like most people, I really liked Genisys, but what do you mean by "pure filmic quality" that makes it better in that regard than Man of Steel?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I thought Genisys was pretty good, once I moved past my preconceived notions and Khalisee's bad casting.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I can't tell who is trolling and who is just really dedicated to being contrarian when people are throwing around statements about Genisys and BvS being the best movies of their respective years.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I think - and I'm just guessing here - that it's far more likely that everyone is actually stating what they honestly think, instead of performing elaborate internet forum pantomime to unsettle a stranger.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I went into Genisys really optimistic. I mean, two Arnolds were going to fight eachother, there's no way this is going to be bad. Why does John Connor look like chubby Quentin Tarintino? If you would have asked me 5 years ago what the dumbest direction Terminator could possibly go in I probably would have said, "if they somehow made John Connor a Terminator"

I really miss the Terminator tv show and its tragic that the cliffhanger ending will never get resolved.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think - and I'm just guessing here - that it's far more likely that everyone is actually stating what they honestly think, instead of performing elaborate internet forum pantomime to unsettle a stranger.

At least he left out "is an idiot" in his lineup of people who disagree with him about movies. It's still pretty goofy to think everyone is intentionally lying, but at least he's not just calling people names for liking a movie he doesn't.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you would have asked me 5 years ago what the dumbest direction Terminator could possibly go in I probably would have said, "if they somehow made John Connor a Terminator"

Me too, but they actually did a good job of it. Once I got over the fact that I didn't agree with the idea, the implementation of it was cool and good and turns Skynet into a blatant metaphor for capitalism.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I can't tell who is trolling and who is just really dedicated to being contrarian when people are throwing around statements about Genisys and BvS being the best movies of their respective years.

Nobody said they were the best movies of their respective years, so thinking that someone did is going to be part of your problem with understanding what's going on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Me too, but they actually did a good job of it. Once I got over the fact that I didn't agree with the idea, the implementation of it was cool and good and turns Skynet into a blatant metaphor for capitalism.

I liked how humanity probably had a chance to not cause the future war by not trying to kill literally-a-child-Skynet but didn't realize it, continuing the loop.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There was that, there was the idea that the protagonists had become unmoored in time, Connor being turned into a digital Sauruman who was heartfelt about the singularity, etc. etc. etc. Oh and also somebody shoots 1984 Schwarzenegger with a loving .50 cal. Not too shabby.

Wasn't impressed with the ending or the sequel-bait or the casting beyond John Connor, but it's a long way from a travesty. A very long way.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I genuinely enjoyed Terminator Genesis.

It as basically "What if we made a Terminator movie into a Marvel film" only with an actual good villain

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I thought Genisys was pretty good, once I moved past my preconceived notions and Khalisee's bad casting.

She's no Linda Hamilton but she won my heart.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hmmm, I'm willing to give Genisys a rewatch.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

They could be saying 'best movies of their genre', maybe.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

She's no Linda Hamilton but she won my heart.

My problem is that she's a very small person and Courtney towers over her (and he's also a slab of muscle in the film) which I felt hurt the relationship. She felt very reduced, Sarah Connor had such a physical presence in T2 (because Cameron is better with women actors, I think)

Obviously she's great in other stuff, which is why I felt it was bad casting. Not anything she could have done.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I thought it quite good for taking the series' own bait and going with a time travel yarn that is turtles all the way down, creating a plot that is simultaneously serious, utterly self-aware of how asinine it is, and a fun celebration of being able to do anything they want, like turn John into a terminator then kill him and inadvertently make Arnold an amalgamation of terminators. That said, it's remarkably ugly to look at and I couldn't wrap my head around why Kyle was such a pill, but the big picture was a quality one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

My problem is that she's a very small person and Courtney towers over her (and he's also a slab of muscle in the film) which I felt hurt the relationship. She felt very reduced, Sarah Connor had such a physical presence in T2 (because Cameron is better with women actors, I think)

Obviously she's great in other stuff, which is why I felt it was bad casting. Not anything she could have done.

Hey, she can't help that she resembles a small child.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Drifter posted:

They could be saying 'best movies of their genre', maybe.

Batman v Superman is in the running for best movie of this year, obviously, but Genisys came out the same year as Sicario, Beasts of No Nation, and The Big Short. It's simply very good, which is still too much for some people.

She's been infantilized by being protected by super-daddy since childhood, whereas Sarah Connor had to get real hard real fast after the first Terminator. It's characterization.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm sympathetic towards Khaleesi Connor because she's 1984 Sarah who is still young and in the thick of things but hasn't been able to grow into T2 Sarah who is older and more world weary. Don't think T2 Sarah Conner who can own what she's in. She's T1 Sarah, young girl playing in a heavy field.

John Connor was really good. I also appreciated Powder Terminator and Arnold. It had some clever bits, ideas and musings but didn't manage to be as great a story as if Cameron could have done it.

Also Jai Courtney was dead lead in it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sir Kodiak posted:

Batman v Superman is in the running for best movie of this year, obviously,

Is it really obvious?

The Witch, Hail Caesar, The Fits, Deadpool, Civil War, Kubo and the Two Strings, The Nice Guys, Everybody Wants Some, Zootopia, Weiner, The Lobster, etc.

I think the idea that BvS is "obviously" in the running for best movie of the year is not a sentiment that most people would agree with.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Is it really obvious?

The Witch, Hail Caesar, The Fits, Deadpool, Civil War, Kubo and the Two Strings, The Nice Guys, Everybody Wants Some, Zootopia, Weiner, The Lobster, etc.

I think the idea that BvS is "obviously" in the running for best movie of the year is not a sentiment that most people would agree with.

"Obviously" was obviously used jokingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gatts posted:

Also Jai Courtney was dead lead in it.

My only real complaint is that he's pretty weak in the film, but I do like the implication that this time around everyone falls for the Governators because people just look to their left and see Slab Bulkhead standing right there.

• Locked thread