Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks! Will the classic and the vintage comforters keep me equally warm? It's a good idea to wash the comforter before first use, right? Any reason I shouldn't buy a cheap duvet cover from Bed Bath and Beyond for the Pendleton comforter?

I've never washed mine. It's wool from the moon and is amazing.
Some of them can be a bit scratchy so a cover or sheet is recommended for delicate skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I've never washed mine. It's wool from the moon and is amazing.
Some of them can be a bit scratchy so a cover or sheet is recommended for delicate skin.

Thanks thread.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can wash them but it's not recommended.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can wash them but it's not recommended.

I am paranoid about putting things into contact with my skin (+mouth and eyes) without washing them first. A duvet cover should solve this.

A recommendation for once: I bought a Roomba 880 and I love everything about it. I was worried that it would not be happy about navigating through 3 different rooms, but I've had no issues so far. The place is clean, and I'm not even using the virtual wall and lighthouse.

theHUNGERian has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Sep 18, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's already pitch black when I wake up, so two questions:

1) are those alarm clock lights worth it? Do they actually make waking up easier?

2) any goon recommended ones?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

M42 posted:

1) are those alarm clock lights worth it? Do they actually make waking up easier?

Seems to work for me, but I put it right next to my face

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0W1RIW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this, but other models might be better idk this ones bright as gently caress on max

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light With Colored Sunrise Simulation, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093162RM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_x_Fx-3xbZD5A2JS

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

M42 posted:

They really do. I wake up without a problem, but my bed partner does NOT and when it's still dark out will take 30+ minutes to wake up without it. The Phillips bottom of the line one works fine, although I'll upgrade us for Christmas so that it can play music instead of hotel alarm clock beeping. I'd also recommend putting it in a place that's in front of you rather than a bedside table for my ambient light. Ours sits on a dresser at the end of the bed and actually works really well to illuminate the entire room.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

M42 posted:

1) It works, but if you aren't getting enough sleep it doesn't work that well. At it's worse, it at least makes dealing with light right after you wake up easier. None of that, turning on the lights and being blinded for a minute or two.

2) Cheapest Philips wake-up light model, as has been suggested, or a Philips HUE kit and replace the bedroom lights. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Starter-bulbs-Bridge-Newest/dp/B014H2OZAC

I had both and ended up going with the HUE kit. I liked that I had a bit more control over the light up speed and intensity. The color HUE will also allow you to do some simulation sunrise/sunset stuff, but not sure if that really adds anything. I just go the basic white light HUE model and it's been good enough for me.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would anyone have a recommendation for a color-changeable LED light bulb that would retain its settings when you turn off the switch? It's kind of a long story, but I have a game show buzzer system that's from the 80s and I'd like to upgrade some of the components.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

My parents already had a Hudson's Bay blanket when I was a child. They eventually gave it to my brother when he got married. The blanket is probably 50 years old and is still worth using, no fraying, no holes.

On the other hand my knockoff HB blanket is still in use after about 20 years so... :shrug:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Are there any good thermometers that use an impossibly thin gauge wire to connect the probe, or wireless probes that are smaller than a thumbnail? I have a bizarre project that ideally would have a teeny tiny temp probe fitting inside a teeny tiny chamber. I could use my IR thermometer, but opening the little chamber would give me bad results I think.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
French press just broke. Any goon recommendations for a new one?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

couldcareless posted:

Buy an Aero press. Slightly different but makes a better cup, imo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm terrible with electronics. Whats a good Cable Modem for Xfinity/Comcast that also includes a built in WiFi / Router that's under like 100 dollars.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hollismason posted:

I'm terrible with electronics. Whats a good Cable Modem for Xfinity/Comcast that also includes a built in WiFi / Router that's under like 100 dollars.

Honestly, sub $100 is asking a lot and a good combo is asking even more.
That is, unless there have been developments in the past year that I am not privy to.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Guys I still need a mop. Help me out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

couldcareless posted:

If your French press uses a standard size/shape beaker Amazon sells replacement glass for ~$10.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need a few brand recommendations for men's shoes that are very comfortable and interview-appropriate in the IT world, for 100 dollars or less. I used to like Tsubo but they went out of business.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

signalnoise posted:

I need a few brand recommendations for men's shoes that are very comfortable and interview-appropriate in the IT world, for 100 dollars or less. I used to like Tsubo but they went out of business.

Cole Hahn makes some dress shoes with Nike Air soles, I have a couple pairs that I wrote daily and liked back when I had an IT gig with a dress code (back in startup and sneakers land now, thankfully). Rockports were pretty good too last time I owned some but it's been years and I don't know if they still make good stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

I have a pair or Ecco that have held up very well over three years and only cost about $85.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Grem posted:

I've wound up buying mostly Libman brushes and mops. No issues so far with these delicate, high tech implements.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I've wound up buying mostly Libman brushes and mops. No issues so far with these delicate, high tech implements.

Am I the only wack-a-doo that likes to just spray cleaner on the floor and walk over it with rags under my feet? I don't have a lot of tile. Is this considered donkey brained?

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Can anyone recommend a solid pair of basic gym pants with pockets for basic barbell work? For some reason this is turning out to be way more complicated than it should be...

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Have you tried rugby shorts? They have pockets usually and a good butt space.

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.

Grem posted:

Swiffer wetjet's where it's at

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mushinronsha posted:

Swiffer wetjet's where it's at

And when you run out of sample sheets, throw a rag on it because you're not fancy.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Swiffer seems to mostly push stuff around.

For small jobs and quick cleanups, I have one of these guys. I like it because the pad is washable and the bottle is refillable. You can just put in whatever it is you happen to want to wash your floor with.

If some kind of floor disaster occurs and I really need to actually go full-blown mop and bucket, I have this thing. It seems to do the job. There may be better mops out there, but this one is mine.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking for some good work boots. I don't work in a a warehouse where I need to walk around al day long. I also need them in all black to adhere to the company dress code, although a bit of gray would be alright.

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better

signalnoise posted:

Clarks Bostonians.

Check these son' bitches out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IK3OR3A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can get them in black or brown. I actually bought both. Very comfortable. I am a teacher, I am on my feet all day, so I need comfortable shoes, these are the pairs I would re-buy if I wasn't planning on going up to 300-400$ tier shoes next. Check them out. They are very light weight and have very comfortable soles.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Scott Justice posted:

Clarks Bostonians.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IK3OR3A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can get them in black or brown. I actually bought both. Very comfortable. I am a teacher, I am on my feet all day, so I need comfortable shoes, these are the pairs I would re-buy if I wasn't planning on going up to 300-400$ tier shoes next. Check them out. They are very light weight and have very comfortable soles.

drat, woulda got those probably if it'd come a couple days later. I need them monday so I got some Eccos on Saturday. Thanks tho! I'll keep Clarks in mind next time I need a pair.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
A recent issue of Esquire recommended Marvis toothpaste. I bought it and it's awesome. Highly recommend, especially the aquatic mint flavor. Leaves a really fresh aftertaste.

It made me curious, any other secret pricey bathroom goods recommended by goons? I would especially like to get a better deodorant/antiperspirant than Old Spice, but I'd be curious about basically anything.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Scott Justice posted:

Clarks Bostonians.

Counterpoint:
I bought some of those and, perhaps due to a manufacturing error, tore up my tendons and are 100% unwearable.
I could not return them to Macy's either since I had worn them on the street.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

surf rock posted:

A recent issue of Esquire recommended Marvis toothpaste. I bought it and it's awesome. Highly recommend, especially the aquatic mint flavor. Leaves a really fresh aftertaste.

It made me curious, any other secret pricey bathroom goods recommended by goons? I would especially like to get a better deodorant/antiperspirant than Old Spice, but I'd be curious about basically anything.

I'd you are fine with pricey, Kiehl's makes really great aftershave lotion.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Kiehl's Ultimate Man Body Scrub Soap is the best, despite the name. Their Facial Fuel is nice too. Pricey though.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Inzombiac posted:

Counterpoint:
I bought some of those and, perhaps due to a manufacturing error, tore up my tendons and are 100% unwearable.
I could not return them to Macy's either since I had worn them on the street.

Maybe you have goofy feet.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Lawen posted:

Facial Fuel

Pyf male supplements/enhancements

FistOfTacitus
Oct 21, 2009

kgibson posted:

Can anyone recommend a solid pair of basic gym pants with pockets for basic barbell work? For some reason this is turning out to be way more complicated than it should be...

I really like running shorts for this. The integrated liner is nice, and leaves you with one less piece of gross gym wear. They tend to have a good range of movement, too, which I appreciate for deads and squats. I will suggest you stay away from anything that doesn't have a lot of stretch, for as your rear end becomes mighty, you will be in danger of destroying mere static clothing. My lifting shorts are mostly UA, but that's just coincidence, most of the reputable brands make the same shorts out of the same material.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Etrips posted:

Maybe you have goofy feet.

I checked and it turns out that my Bostonians are great and I was thinking of some cheap pair I bought in a hurry.

So if you want good formal shoes, Bostonian and Ecco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone have opinions regarding wool comforters vs down comforters?

I'm looking to replace my current ikea synthetic comforter and started down the rabbit hole of research. And the big two that popped out were down for fluffiness and wool for moisture wicking/temperature regulation. Not really sure what I should go with.