Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It's really hosed up how many Bernie supporters jumped straight onto the Trump bandwagon.

Some people will just not vote for a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Aramek posted:

You and I directly funded Curt going all crazy pants.

So did I...but it was a fun game goddammit

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Wait are you being serious? Does this actually happen?

yep. same as those 'Apple have 1675 iphone 7s to give away because the box is open share and like to win' pages where the page is named .Apple or AppleOfficial in an attempt to make it look legit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bill Gates is giving his fortune away, but only if this email reaches 1 billion forwards. Send to all your friends and family

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Josef bugman posted:

Eh, they did a load of talking with people after the DNC and most of the people in the Bernie camp were going "yeah I am voting for Hillary" way way more than the Hilary people in 2008 were saying it about Obama.

Yeah, I feel like over 90% of the Bernie supporters will still vote democrat. It's just really loving weird, but I suppose it can be summed up with one sentence:

Eponine posted:

Some people will just not vote for a woman.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Rondette posted:

yep. same as those 'Apple have 1675 iphone 7s to give away because the box is open share and like to win' pages where the page is named .Apple or AppleOfficial in an attempt to make it look legit.

I don't get it though how does it make people money? To make a page on FB? Do they just like sell their password to the pagE?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I don't get it though how does it make people money? To make a page on FB? Do they just like sell their password to the pagE?

The idea is that someone does that, gets a page with thousands of likes, and then sells it to someone who rebrands the page for another business or brand something, and they then "have" all those likes.

Like 6-7 years ago it used to be a really common thing but these days I'm not sure anyone cares enough to buy pages like that anymore.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I still don't understand how likes =money.

Who exactly is making money off these people tricked into liking a photo of an attractive amputee?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
"Sir, as you can see my Big Tits We Love Page has over 20,000 likes and is perfect for rebranding for your at home day school business , I ask for only 5000 dollars"

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Panfilo posted:

Who exactly is making money off these people tricked into liking a photo of an attractive amputee?

It's sorta like the Nigerian scam e-mail thing. Once you've filtered out the people who are stupid enough to fall for such obviously fake bait, you have a reasonable expectation that you can pull any kind of scam on them that you want.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The just-as-stupid but less nefarious version of like farming is the million Teespring garbage dump pages that basically went from 0 to 100,000 likes by posting "Share this if you love your daughter!" or "I'm a nurse but I'm also an Aunt!" image macros every day.

I run the social media accounts for my company and have started taking cues from these shitshovelers and have sadly grown our followers by double or more in the last year just by posting the most lowbrow, pandering crap. Feels bad, man.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Check out the official Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter account. That thing is batshit insane, in all the good ways. I've never played Sonic game in my life but I still follow him.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

fullroundaction posted:

The just-as-stupid but less nefarious version of like farming is the million Teespring garbage dump pages that basically went from 0 to 100,000 likes by posting "Share this if you love your daughter!" or "I'm a nurse but I'm also an Aunt!" image macros every day.

I run the social media accounts for my company and have started taking cues from these shitshovelers and have sadly grown our followers by double or more in the last year just by posting the most lowbrow, pandering crap. Feels bad, man.

ya get 6k likes and whaddya get? another year older and deeper in debt

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

fullroundaction posted:

Maybe we deserve Trump.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

MizPiz posted:

Maybe we deserve Trump.

Confirmed:

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

MizPiz posted:

Maybe we deserve Trump.

The rest of the world doesnt.

We have our own lovely leaders to choose :colbert:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
David Simon wyd
https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/778039688879808512

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

No, David, pull up! :gonk:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's trying really hard to tweet through it and keeps explaining the joke as if people didn't get it

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I have a perfect mental image of that poster and anyone that wore those baggy-rear end pants now.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's trying really hard to tweet through it and keeps explaining the joke as if people didn't get it

He keeps saying "with an A" like it's a magic ticket out of his own poo poo storm. White people have been trying to use the N word with that excuse for like two decades. I don't think there's ever been a single incident where the people telling them off all stopped and said, "Oh, okay. In that case, everything's totally fine."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

One of the big facts in the US is the decline of manufacturing jobs and the rise of service jobs. If you have certain cognitive disabilities, it's a lot easier to hold a factory job with a predictable routine then a service job that requires unpredictable interactions. The other big fact is the only strength you have in politics is your ability to switch to the other party.

The ADA has enjoyed a certain degree of bipartisan support: The original version was signed by George H.W. Bush and ardently supported by Tom Harkins, a Democrat from Iowa. The danger is that by fundraising for Hilary Clinton because Trump is an rear end in a top hat with no decency, and that Hilary promises certain goverment programs, the disability community will end up in 50 years where the black community is today: unloved, unserved, and trundled out to the polls every four years to support those responsible. The enemies of the disability community don't make this mistake, and spread largess on both sides of the aisle.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Henchman of Santa posted:

He just keeps doubling down on it

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Panfilo posted:

I guess if you want to create a new business on Facebook it's easier to just buy a page that has a buncha likes instead of starting at 0. Surely of you have a couple thousand likes your business has to be a well established and trustworthy one.

So you buy a big ol' titty page, strip it on the titties and make it into a business page. Most people will probably never unlike, because who ever goes back to a a page he liked?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Fathis Munk posted:

I guess if you want to create a new business on Facebook it's easier to just buy a page that has a buncha likes instead of starting at 0. Surely of you have a couple thousand likes your business has to be a well established and trustworthy one.

So you buy a big ol' titty page, strip it on the titties and make it into a business page. Most people will probably never unlike, because who ever goes back to a a page he liked?

AFAIK that's exactly how it works, the same thing can happen with youtube channels, but the cash flow from that is a little more obvious

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Data Graham posted:

Bill Gates is giving his fortune away, but only if this email reaches 1 billion forwards. Send to all your friends and family

Starting next month, Hotmail will be charging for accounts, but you can keep your free account if you forward this message to all your contacts.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

By copying this message to an email, i hearby state that anything in my spam folder is my own property. Hotmail,Microsoft and Bill Gates do not own it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Like the Wire's David Simon?

Dude, you should really know better

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Practical Demon posted:

He keeps saying "with an A" like it's a magic ticket out of his own poo poo storm. White people have been trying to use the N word with that excuse for like two decades. I don't think there's ever been a single incident where the people telling them off all stopped and said, "Oh, okay. In that case, everything's totally fine."

Especially weird considering David Simon wrote a scene himself in Treme about how it isn't up to a white guy to decide whether they can use the word or not, no matter how ingrained in black culture they think they are

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He done hosed up. It happens, judgment lapses, but now he's really loving up.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I get what he was trying to say, that picking Sean Hannity (:psyduck:) to somehow court black voters (is this a thing that is actually happening?) is ridiculous, and even he acknowledged that his word choice was deliberately inappropriate to underscore how inappropriate a choice Sean loving Hannity is (seriously!?) but being white, he doesn't just get to decide that this or that context makes it okay for him to say.

Also he could have just not used the word and still made the same point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah, "Hannity my man!" would have worked just as well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fathis Munk posted:

Shouldn't they just make it so if the page changes hands the likes/subscribers reset to zero? That way there'd be a better signal:noise ratio overall since there's little benefit to shilling for likes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Panfilo posted:

Shouldn't they just make it so if the page changes hands the likes/subscribers reset to zero? That way there'd be a better signal:noise ratio overall since there's little benefit to shilling for likes.

You can't tell if the page changes hands unless you count every admin change as that. In which case hilarity ensues when Marvel's social media manager quits.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Can't you not rename a Facebook page that has a certain amount of likes? Or am I thinking about groups and number of people joined?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I get what he was trying to say, that picking Sean Hannity (:psyduck:) to somehow court black voters (is this a thing that is actually happening?) is ridiculous, and even he acknowledged that his word choice was deliberately inappropriate to underscore how inappropriate a choice Sean loving Hannity is (seriously!?) but being white, he doesn't just get to decide that this or that context makes it okay for him to say.

Exactly. Nobody is mad because they didn't get the reasoning (most people are just making fun of him anyway). It's because it was a dumb loving idea.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
IIRC you can rename your page once after you create it, and then again after a certain amount of time has passed, though things probably have changed since the last time I had to do it. But it is possible, Facebook just makes it difficult to do it often for obvious reasons.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I get you guys think you can solve the problem in this thread but Facebook has people working on the problem full time from multiple angles and hasn't figured it out fully yet so maybe let's move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

BJPaskoff posted:

Can't you not rename a Facebook page that has a certain amount of likes? Or am I thinking about groups and number of people joined?

http://www.vice.com/read/virgil-texas-white-power-facebook-group-troll