Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

that ivy guy posted:

I have over 2000 hours in this game and I'm not sure how

It's a good-rear end game.

(unrelated but I miss your demo av)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

watho posted:

It's a good-rear end game.

(unrelated but I miss your demo av)

I tend to play the game for a month or so with friends and then end up forgetting about the whole experience. The cycle repeats with each major update

And those were quite good, yeah. I'll probably use one again at some point in the future.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had 98 hours on record before I picked it up again last week and now have 148. Oops.

K so I killed Brain, got the hellfire arrows and and the molten fury, but Skeletron is still a no go. I used the Star Cannon and managed to almost kill like one of his arms but that was it, now I have to restock stars. But I've tried a couple times with arrows and whatever else I got and cant seem to even get the life bar to change from green before I die. I even have all the movement accessories so its hard to be any more agile but I still take too much damage. I am gonna try again though with the archery potion to see if that makes any worthwhile difference.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

codo27 posted:

I had 98 hours on record before I picked it up again last week and now have 148. Oops.

K so I killed Brain, got the hellfire arrows and and the molten fury, but Skeletron is still a no go. I used the Star Cannon and managed to almost kill like one of his arms but that was it, now I have to restock stars. But I've tried a couple times with arrows and whatever else I got and cant seem to even get the life bar to change from green before I die. I even have all the movement accessories so its hard to be any more agile but I still take too much damage. I am gonna try again though with the archery potion to see if that makes any worthwhile difference.

The Bee's Knees from the queen bee is what I usually use to kill Expert Skeletron- the trick to dodging his skulls is to use the shield of chthulu to start sprinting, then do a loop over him, repeat as needed. The skulls don't track fast enough to hit, and you barely have to aim the bees.

Edit: on expert, the head takes barely any damage until the arms are dead

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
The key to all bosses on Expert is learning how to dodge them. You cannot tank any boss in expert with the gear you are supposed to fight them with. Which requires a battle arena and the Shield of Cthulu as Fizbin noted. Cannot stress this enough, your only option to surviving bosses is to dodge. This is only going to get worse as the bosses start to kill you in even less hits.

Against Skeletron you really want to whittle down both hands and then take them off to minimize the time spent dodging the flying skulls. A tip to dodging the skulls in addition to what Fizbin said is that the skulls have a somewhat lazy tracking, so you want to exploit that to make them hit a solid block.

Zernach fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 19, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yes I can understand the dodging strategy and I already use the Shield of Cthulu, its just discouraging that I do so little damage. I still haven't found a hive biome so I guess thats next.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

codo27 posted:

Yes I can understand the dodging strategy and I already use the Shield of Cthulu, its just discouraging that I do so little damage. I still haven't found a hive biome so I guess thats next.

They're pretty easy to find, just keep an eye out for honey/honeycomb and you should run into one before too long.

Queen Bee is probably the simplest boss in the game, and hives are practically premade arenas. Three sets of wood platforms maybe eight blocks apart vertically with a campfire in the middle is good enough. You don't need horizontal movement, just vertical really. If you have a hook, you can take a dip in the honey at the bottom for better health regen if you need it.

Keep an eye out for Shark Tooth Necklaces during blood moons too, as the armor penetration helps bees massacre enemies even better.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I couldn't find anything in the wiki, is there any way to increase your line of sight or reveal distance or whatever?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the sniper scope, which is a hard-mode dungeon drop from the sniper skeletons. it lets you move the camera to an extent to see farther in a specific direction, but i always found it a bit too wonky to be useful, and it takes up an accessory slot

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

I couldn't find anything in the wiki, is there any way to increase your line of sight or reveal distance or whatever?

If you're playing on a low resolution: play on a higher resolution.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

After ~250 hours since the patch that they were added in, I finally had a biome key drop. It was about five minutes after I beat the WoF and I was super stoked since it was a Crimson Key, thus Vampire Knives, until I remembered that you can only open biome chests after you beat Plantera. :cripes:

Vampire knives that early in hardmode would have been loving sweeet.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

codo27 posted:

binoculars http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Binoculars

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No sir still cant get a look in at Skeletron. Beat the fuckin bee twice and the knees didn't drop, just everything else. The bee gun is pretty cool though. I've played enough Diablo and Dark souls to know the defense stat isn't the be all end all. Should I get rid of the molten armor and just put on whatever I have that adds damage?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

codo27 posted:

No sir still cant get a look in at Skeletron. Beat the fuckin bee twice and the knees didn't drop, just everything else. The bee gun is pretty cool though. I've played enough Diablo and Dark souls to know the defense stat isn't the be all end all. Should I get rid of the molten armor and just put on whatever I have that adds damage?

Depends. You're in the early game, so sacrificing defense for offense at that point with very few mobility options might not be a good idea. Especially if your main problem is being unable to dodge the attacks. If you haven't done so already, you might want to build an arena on top of the dungeon top help dodge attacks easier.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
And above all don't feel bad, I had trouble with Expert Skeletron on an early normal Hardmode character who had wings and a flying mount.

Worst-case scenario, you get pissed, make a non-expert world, and waltz through up to the Wall of Flesh because you're over-prepped.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

codo27 posted:

Dareon posted:

And above all don't feel bad, I had trouble with Expert Skeletron on an early normal Hardmode character who had wings and a flying mount.

Worst-case scenario, you get pissed, make a non-expert world, and waltz through up to the Wall of Flesh because you're over-prepped.

Honestly I'd recommend making a non-Expert world, dragging all your stuff to it, and just going from there.

... You do have max health possible from eating crystal hearts, right? And what buff potions are you using?

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

codo27 posted:

The main problem with hard/export mode skeletron are his skulls. The most sensible way to kill the bastard is with platforms (usually two layers are enough) and a gravitation potion. Since you can reverse gravity, you literally just run/fly circles around him (just don't forget to make sure you are protected from fall damage). I found the twins much easier this way as well - with a small resolution I had problems with bosses despawing if I did the mine cart method.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
What I did to dodge the skulls was try to stand under Skeletron when possible and just run back and forth under him. His "aim" tracks slowly so what happend was that he kept shooting skulls out to my sides. This just had the caveat that you had to be on your toes when he would start spinning again.

After getting the dodging down its an endurance race, Skeletron has stupidly much hp as you have noticed. And hitting the flailing arms can be frustrating, which is why the Bee's Knees or anything else tracking is so good.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh I haven't played this since that huge update (that I completely missed hearing about), might fire it up again and lose several hours.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I started an Expert world with a new dude for shits and giggles and it plopped me into a corrupted biome. I tried to get to a point where it became uncorrupted, but kept getting killed by soul eaters until I gave up. Is this what makes Expert mode for experts?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Nah, it shouldn't spawn corruption in the center ~10% or so of the map at the start. Generate a new world, try again!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

I started an Expert world with a new dude for shits and giggles and it plopped me into a corrupted biome. I tried to get to a point where it became uncorrupted, but kept getting killed by soul eaters until I gave up. Is this what makes Expert mode for experts?

Expert mode enemies do more damage, take less and are more resistant to knockback. They also have some new moves or cause more status effects with their existing ones.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Bats are so much more exciting in expert mode :drac:

Even though early expert mode is a terrible slog not made easier by me playing on mediumcore, I really like the boss fights. I might get mad at some bosses, but when I finally nail it, it's so satisfying.
Like seeing what happens to Martians when you cheese them from inside a bunker with the Stormbow+holy arrows. Good god the amount of poo poo falling from the sky :supaburn:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Re: Expert Mode Skeletron, I have no interest in expert mode, but Yrimir's low level guide avoids skulls by first destroying both hands nearly simultaneously and then has an interesting boss arena with roofs to avoid the others.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Samopsa posted:

Nah, it shouldn't spawn corruption in the center ~10% or so of the map at the start. Generate a new world, try again!

Thanks, yeah, the second attempt now I'm in a normal spawn point. I've tried getting wood for a house but the blue and purple slimes keep coming. The poor guide has been killed a dozen times. I've dug a hole and covered it with dirt for now. Safe at last.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I realised there were some parts of the game I would just never be able to do so I found a mod that would add godmode and one shot kills. Halloween Moon got massively crazy and I think I may have broken it by killing too much. I'm guessing all the invasion type events are that sort of thing so I guess I'll do those cheatingly as well. I just wanna see all the things eventually.

Decided to fire up a new world and rush through the bosses I'd already done as quick as possible. Then I was just gonna kill the cultists and go to bed but then I did and well, I kinda had to carry on after that. Still, I have no idea how you'd do all that legitimately. The cultist was hard enough.

Also got a Biome Key to drop for the first time ever. I think I'll just cheat in all the angler rewards I want though, it sounds awful trying to get things. Might give the fishing a go though.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Angler Quests and Fishing really is the worst, grindy part of the game. It takes 10+ hours of straight fishing and luck to get everything for the Cellphone.
It's hosed up considering they could have made the fishing quests linear.

There is a way to exploit it if you only feel like partially cheating: quest fish can be stored in your piggy-bank or chests, though they take up a slot each. It's bypassing the mechanic that only allows you to have only one unique fish at a time provided you store the fish before attempting to capture another one.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

McDragon posted:

Decided to fire up a new world and rush through the bosses I'd already done as quick as possible. Then I was just gonna kill the cultists and go to bed but then I did and well, I kinda had to carry on after that. Still, I have no idea how you'd do all that legitimately. The cultist was hard enough.

Also got a Biome Key to drop for the first time ever. I think I'll just cheat in all the angler rewards I want though, it sounds awful trying to get things. Might give the fishing a go though.

Honestly can't blame you for a lot of that, but just a heads up if you want to do more things legit.

There's a weapon you can get from hallowed mimics, the Daedalus Stormbow. It lets you cheese all sorts of poo poo easily.

Get the Daedalus Stormbow, and build a horizontal platform in the sky, a little more than a screen length up, of about a screen length horizontally. Then drop another horizontal line of solid blocks (dirt or whatever) 4-5 spaces above that. Congratulations, you can now destroy martian UFOs trivially. Just hang out in your little tunnel dropping Stormbow arrows on the thing.

Destroy enough UFOs and eventually you'll get a cosmic car key. This is a mount that gives you unlimited flight, but more importantly, frees up the accessory slots taken by your wings, boots, and dash item (shield of cthulhu or ninja gear which I hope you've been using). Replace them with defensive poo poo like the worm scarf, or whatever else you want, for a significant edge, then just fly everywhere.

Farm a shitton of chlorophyte. Seriously, put on some music, head to the jungle, and just go full-on zen for a while. Go fishing somewhere on the surface of the jungle for Double Cod to make ammo reservation potions, buy an ammo box or several from the traveling merchant whenever he has it and place it near your spawn, if you haven't already build a mushroom farm - or just dig a quick path to a pre-existing mushroom biome - and make yourself the shroomite armor with the bullet headgear. After defeating the cultist take out the vortex pillar first, and build the vortex beater. That with chlorophyte bullets, using potions and the ammo box so you don't consume quite as much chlorophyte, trivializes drat near everything, including 3/4 of the pillars.

The exception is the loving solar piller, which is awful and I hate it. Jumping too high causes the sky worm to destroy you, and the poo poo there is basically impossible to dodge otherwise. The best way I've found to deal with it is to make the defensive beetle armor (with the beetle shell), use defensive accessories and potions, the Influx Waver (if you've been killing UFOs you should have one), and a magic mirror / cell phone. Gear up, potion up, run in and kill as much as you can and mirror back before you die. Once the pillar's shield is down rush it - you can tell when it's down even from off-screen because while the shield is up a little spark flies out of everything you kill towards it, when you no longer see those sparks you know the pillar's ready.

As for the fishing quest rewards.. I just hack those in anymore myself. It wouldn't be that bad, and is a great excuse to build a cool teleporter network to various fishing spots, but I don't know what possessed them to give the angler a day-long cooldown. Once I actually got all his rewards semi-legit, by using tshock to set the time to 4:29 after every completed quest. It still took me most of a real-world day. All they'd really need to do to make it halfway tolerable is just have him give you a new quest each time you turn one in, but if it hasn't happened yet it's probably not going to, so gently caress it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ali Aces posted:

Farm a shitton of chlorophyte. Seriously, put on some music, head to the jungle, and just go full-on zen for a while. Go fishing somewhere on the surface of the jungle for Double Cod to make ammo reservation potions, buy an ammo box or several from the traveling merchant whenever he has it and place it near your spawn, if you haven't already build a mushroom farm - or just dig a quick path to a pre-existing mushroom biome - and make yourself the shroomite armor with the bullet headgear. After defeating the cultist take out the vortex pillar first, and build the vortex beater. That with chlorophyte bullets, using potions and the ammo box so you don't consume quite as much chlorophyte, trivializes drat near everything, including 3/4 of the pillars.

The exception is the loving solar piller, which is awful and I hate it. Jumping too high causes the sky worm to destroy you, and the poo poo there is basically impossible to dodge otherwise. The best way I've found to deal with it is to make the defensive beetle armor (with the beetle shell), use defensive accessories and potions, the Influx Waver (if you've been killing UFOs you should have one), and a magic mirror / cell phone. Gear up, potion up, run in and kill as much as you can and mirror back before you die. Once the pillar's shield is down rush it - you can tell when it's down even from off-screen because while the shield is up a little spark flies out of everything you kill towards it, when you no longer see those sparks you know the pillar's ready.
I dealt with the Solar Pillar by making a Vortex Beater from the vortex pillar and spraying chlorphyte bullets at things. Since the homing completely negates that vortex beater's disadvantage of a wide spread.

Also, all the buff potions. And I think the accessory that makes you able to snort healing potions more often, or more likely whatever it combines into.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I beat Solar Pillar by making the Nebula Blaze and holding down m1. :getin:

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Razorblade Typhoon is such a beastly weapon I beat all the pillars with it the first time I tried them with my mage. The fact that they aim for the tail on the sky worms when you are on the ground makes them so much easier to deal with. Might take a bit longer compared to your other options, but I like it because with it I can just concentrate on dodging.

I'm basically ready to take on the cultist in my current bow run, but I'm wondering if the Pumpkin/Frostmoon events have anything useful for bows. Or I might just try them to see all the numbers when you make it rain with Stormbow+Holy Arrows.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Nah, don't bother with the Moon events for bows. Phantasm and Typhoon are where it's at, along with the Stormbow.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Started doing the pillars and the Vortex was a breeze, but then I had the audacity to approach the Solar Pillar. Did not remember how bullshit the enemies were. Three types of enemies that are almost impossible to stop unless you kill them dashing from offscreen doing close to 200 damage each with the worms waiting in the sky. With one of them comming through the walls to make them even more bullshit to stop. Having to dance back and forth at the border of the zone, killing just a few of them at a time to stop them from overwhelming you and still dying is just plain bad.

Only saving grace was that once the Pillar was vulnerable the Phantasm made short work of it. That thing is just ridiculous against single targets, just a stream of numbers flashing and then the target is dead as a doornail.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Zernach posted:

worms waiting in the sky.
Are you talking about the loving centipede thing that only attacks you if you're in the air? I hate those things so much. I get the whole challenge of, "Fighting the other things from the ground is harder than from the sky" but couldn't they have made the dude's tail a little easier to hit? Fucker warps around the sky at mach 5 when you're flying. Even as a top tier enemy, that monster is ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh, someone already mentioned that he only attacks you if you're airborne. Whoops, reading is hard.

Hyedum fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 26, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The biggest problem with those is that they don't differentiate flying or hovering with navigating natural terrain changes.

Basically, sucks to be you if there's a cliff, mountain, or lake nearby that you need to get around.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Easiest way to deal with the solar pillar is to have a platform high up, built off of sky islands, ropes placed just outside the event zone, or minecart track. That way you only have to deal with Corites and the occasional close call with a Crawltipede as it spawns. Once you get banners for each you can sit up there with healed by a campfire and a heart lamp and pick off Corites until the lines to the pillar stop appearing after they die. If you're lucky you can hit the pillar from up there, too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Honestly, just setting up banners is the best advice. They are a lot better than you probably think they are.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Apparently there's a RPG mod called "Super Terraria World." To quote the official forums on the subject...

quote:

Welcome to Super Terraria World!
You may be wondering “what is Super Terraria World.” Super Terraria World (STW) is a standalone role-playing mod, which will be kept up-to-date with any official release of Terraria. The primary goal of this mod is to bring a MMORPG element to this wonderful game. Currently, we are only releasing Single Player Alpha versions of STW. This is so we can focus all of our effort on creating plenty of quality content for you all to enjoy. We thank you for expressing interest in our mod, and we hope that you enjoy playing it as much as we enjoy creating it!

It seems interesting enough. Has anyone checked this out?

Ninja edit: Offical Forums Thread

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

Apparently there's a RPG mod called "Super Terraria World." To quote the official forums on the subject...

It seems interesting enough. Has anyone checked this out?

Ninja edit: Offical Forums Thread

I'm planning on doing so later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

dis astranagant posted:

I'm planning on doing so later.

I'd be interested in a trip report!

I say this like I'm not going to install and try it out myself.