Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Grozz Nuy posted:

I didn't play much of the fighting games, but didn't Rise go back to her idol career after the events of P4?

She did. There was a whole game about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I liked a lot of the music in SMT4 but none of it really surprised me too much. I just blew up Tokyo and now the music is super intense and I'm digging it.

...Should I be bothering with spoiler tags on that game as a aside?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Terper posted:

Hello Persona fans. My name is Yoko Taro.

I'm glad Yoko Taro exists.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Terper posted:

Hello Persona fans. My name is Yoko Taro. I can already hear some of you saying “Who the hell is that guy?”, so I think I should introduce myself to you. I'm a game director. There's this game called “NieR Automata” from Square Enix that I'm working on and it's coming out early next year. It's target audience overlaps totally with Persona's, so I think we really dodged a bullet when they delayed NieR Automata.

Well, when I was playing Persona 5 I kept thinking how awesome everything was: The menus, the battles, the characters – everything was stylish and awesome! But you've probably heard about that already from other people, so I'm going to write about the other things I found noteworthy to provide a different perspective.

The first thing that caught my attention was the darkness of the town. It's really dark, as if someone reduced the saturation and brightness of the colors by 50% in Photoshop. That's how bleak this place is. The teachers aren't your friends and that leaves a bitter taste. It's the kind of melancholic environment that makes you think “That's just like my own experience of high school!”! However, what really stuck out to me were the bent backs of the NPC business men – that was great! Whoever came up with that idea is a genius.

Then of course there is the Shibuya Station. If you've ever been there before, I think you'll understand what I mean when I say that trying to navigate this place is a nightmare. If you a new planner at a video game studio created a level like this, they'd probably get slapped... Or at least, that's what I always thought, but it is a perfect recreation of the real thing. It's fascinating.

Yongenjaya is also nice. If you leave Atlus's headquarters, there's a street that looks similar to that place. Maybe I was just imagining things.

Subtly changing the names of real places like this* adds a nice touch to the game. It's an interesting way to express that adults are also kind of trapped. From a meta perspective, that was very enjoyable.

Until next time.

*Yongenjaya is based on Sangenjaya.

This is gonna sound dumb but where else is a real place in Tokyo also in P5 because I'd like to check it out while
I'm still here

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I bought a Persona 5 issue of the Persona magazine and it seems to have a lot of information in Japanese like interviews and such. Like... 80 pages worth. Any interest in crappy phone pics of this thing

i am interested but i also would like a copy, how much did it run you and where or was it at any ol 7-11

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This is gonna sound dumb but where else is a real place in Tokyo also in P5 because I'd like to check it out while
I'm still here
Akihabara, Aoyame-Itchome station, Ichigaya, and Sangenchaya would be the main places you'd wanna hit up, from what I can tell.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rafza posted:

i am interested but i also would like a copy, how much did it run you and where or was it at any ol 7-11

I got it in Yodobashi Akihabara for 1000 Yen but I imagine you can buy it in like anywhere selling the magazine

Endorph posted:

Akihabara, Aoyame-Itchome station, Ichigaya, and Sangenchaya would be the main places you'd wanna hit up, from what I can tell.

Cool thanks!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

I got it in Yodobashi Akihabara for 1000 Yen but I imagine you can buy it in like anywhere selling the magazine

Cool thanks!

awesome thanks, i'll have to see if my brother can ship me a copy

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Smt IV:a localization (spoilered for late game stuff):

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Quality control.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Let me guess:
he's went the crazy neutral path like Isamu hasn't he?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Golden Goat posted:

Let me guess:
he's went the crazy neutral path like Isamu hasn't he?

Not sure, I stole this from Reddit but one of the comments mentioned this is after a route lock so maybe

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Spoilers for endgame:

The scene
is after the route lock. And based on what I can see it's based on the one where you go for the 'friendship is power' ending.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Spoilers for endgame:

The scene
is after the route lock. And based on what I can see it's based on the one where you go for the 'friendship is power' ending.

Funny that they'd miss that as it's the route drat near everyone is probably going to do.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

In SMTIV:A I went exploring for a challenge quest to some place (early game) Asakura Land. I found a boss that I then killed, and then the area completely vanished. There were a lot of demons in there I wanted to snag and farm for a bit, and luckily I had a save from just before the boss so I could revert, but how common is it for the game to just lock you out of areas like that? I don't know if I'll see another area with these certain guys around and I'd rather leave the option open to snag 'em if I need 'em (instead of buying them off the Compendium).

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

turnways posted:

In SMTIV:A I went exploring for a challenge quest to some place (early game) Asakura Land. I found a boss that I then killed, and then the area completely vanished. There were a lot of demons in there I wanted to snag and farm for a bit, and luckily I had a save from just before the boss so I could revert, but how common is it for the game to just lock you out of areas like that? I don't know if I'll see another area with these certain guys around and I'd rather leave the option open to snag 'em if I need 'em (instead of buying them off the Compendium).

It's pretty common for optional sidequests, but none of the sidequest areas that disappear post-completion in SMTIV:A have demons you can't get anywhere else. Enemy spawns in there are usually just keyed to another area.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's pretty common for optional sidequests, but none of the sidequest areas that disappear post-completion in SMTIV:A have demons you can't get anywhere else. Enemy spawns in there are usually just keyed to another area.

Okay cool, might grind a bit until I can nab anyone I want then wrap up the quest and keep going.

This is gonna be sad but I'm at 11 hours and I only just completed Fairy Forest because damnit trying to come up with awesome monsters with the exact skill set I want is too drat addictive.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hard mode is pretty fun and requires that you actually grind a lot and think about your strategy/resistances. The only major difference is that all attacks do like 1.6x the damage.

Also, I definitely spent at least 30 minutes in Shibuya station looking at all of the signs. I used to commute through it and all of the dumb little puns and the exact locations of everything made me smile.

PS: Shibuya is easy to navigate what are you all talking about. The hard station is really Shinjuku.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Also just in case anyone was looking for excuses to argue about timelines.

That certainly narrows it down to 2016 or 2022.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ntan1 posted:

Hard mode is pretty fun

ntan1 posted:

requires that you actually grind a lot

:confused:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

smh if you don't wanna run around castles ripping faces off demons as much as possible

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dehry posted:

That certainly narrows it down to 2016 or 2022.

I thought Japanese idols had like a three year shelf life max until they get caught smoking or out on a date and their scumbag fans decide they aren't pure and desert them OR they totally get burned out and quit for real (so what Rise did when she was 14).

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

I thought Japanese idols had like a three year shelf life max until they get caught smoking or out on a date and their scumbag fans decide they aren't pure and desert them OR they totally get burned out and quit for real (so what Rise did when she was 14).

The good ones stay in business much longer. Idol Warehouse with 20 different girls on stage is a different thing.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If it is set in 2016, that'd put Rise at ~20 or so. That is be a bit old for the normal replaceable idols from what I understand of the culture, which would somewhat fit that poster being completely different from Kanami's one, or even Rise's previous appearances in P4-related stuff - she's moved past that phase and into more mainstream (? struggling to think of the right term) work. Sort of the difference between a child actor who faded out and left the business and one who actually became a major actor after that phase.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Luna Was Here posted:

I like how Atlus realized how much of a goof up Teddie was as mascot material

Don't speak ill of my friend.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's also possible it's just a cameo and doesn't have any actual bearing in the game's world.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm also still not convinced the game even takes place in an actual definable year.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Luna Was Here posted:

I will abaj

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radish posted:

Lord Koth posted:

If it is set in 2016, that'd put Rise at ~20 or so. That is be a bit old for the normal replaceable idols from what I understand of the culture, which would somewhat fit that poster being completely different from Kanami's one, or even Rise's previous appearances in P4-related stuff - she's moved past that phase and into more mainstream (? struggling to think of the right term) work. Sort of the difference between a child actor who faded out and left the business and one who actually became a major actor after that phase.

Both these things are pretty inaccurate. Yoshino Nanjo is 32 and still doing concerts and 'idol' stuff. Mostly in relation to anime she's voice acted in, but still.

AKB and other idol treadmills are really weird, but if someone just becomes a singer kind of naturally, like Rise did, there's plenty of chances to transition into a more 'mature' stage presence or to find other avenues.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Going into Apocalypse, I'm assuming Dexterity is still the king physical stat and that Dex/Magic are still equally viable?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

Both these things are pretty inaccurate. Yoshino Nanjo is 32 and still doing concerts and 'idol' stuff. Mostly in relation to anime she's voice acted in, but still.

AKB and other idol treadmills are really weird, but if someone just becomes a singer kind of naturally, like Rise did, there's plenty of chances to transition into a more 'mature' stage presence or to find other avenues.

Yoshino Nanjo Is a total babe

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Going into Apocalypse, I'm assuming Dexterity is still the king physical stat and that Dex/Magic are still equally viable?

Not a safe assumption. The stats seem to have been balanced better such that skills actually scale based on their respective stat. For pure physical skills my high STR guys seem to have better damage output than Dex guys with the same skill.

I've seen zero data about damage formulas on Japanese sites so I could be wrong, but anecdotally Dex doesn't seem to be the king stat it was in IV this time around.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Genpei Turtle posted:

Not a safe assumption. The stats seem to have been balanced better such that skills actually scale based on their respective stat. For pure physical skills my high STR guys seem to have better damage output than Dex guys with the same skill.

I've seen zero data about damage formulas on Japanese sites so I could be wrong, but anecdotally Dex doesn't seem to be the king stat it was in IV this time around.

This makes me sad

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

Well, that's sort of what I was getting at - though perhaps I didn't word it clearly. I didn't actually mean to say Rise had transitioned over into being a full-time actress or something - though that is certainly possible too of course.

Better comparison probably would have been more along the lines of being popular and famous enough to transition into more of what the US considers major singers/idols - not a passing fad like the idol treadmills and whatnot, but an actual serious career.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

P5P gives less fucks than anime Souji.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Hard mode is pretty fun and requires that you actually grind a lot and think about your strategy/resistances. The only major difference is that all attacks do like 1.6x the damage.

Also, I definitely spent at least 30 minutes in Shibuya station looking at all of the signs. I used to commute through it and all of the dumb little puns and the exact locations of everything made me smile.

PS: Shibuya is easy to navigate what are you all talking about. The hard station is really Shinjuku.

Shibuya has construction on now also making it confusing. Definitely not Shinjuku level which might as well be Tartarus with how I could swear it keeps changing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Luna Was Here posted:

Atlus has acknowledged this and apologized.

The reason it got overlooked was because their QA testers were literally too good at the game. It only happens when you get a dialogue when your partner is KOd, and the QA testers never ran into that situation when they were looking it over. They say that the majority of players in normal play probably won't run into this issue, they're poring over the scripts for P5 and other active localizations to make sure it doesn't happen again, and they're looking into finding a way to fix it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
atlus have really good pr

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

who knew the atlus qa testers were masters in the ancient art of the humblebrag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Waffleman_ posted:

Atlus has acknowledged this and apologized.

The reason it got overlooked was because their QA testers were literally too good at the game. It only happens when you get a dialogue when your partner is KOd, and the QA testers never ran into that situation when they were looking it over. They say that the majority of players in normal play probably won't run into this issue, they're poring over the scripts for P5 and other active localizations to make sure it doesn't happen again, and they're looking into finding a way to fix it.

That's not really an issue of being good so much as RNG (whether or not the enemy chooses to target your partner instead of your main team), so yeah, I can see why they might miss that.