Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Does anyone else really like that episode of TNG where Alexander comes back from the future to make his kid self a warrior? I've always been fond of it but never see it brought up.

Firstborn.

And you really shouldn't see it ever brought up because that would disrupt the closed-loop timeline around Alexander. He does, in DS9, embrace more of his Klingon heritage which is a marked contrast from TNG Alexander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

WickedHate posted:

Does anyone else really like that episode of TNG where Alexander comes back from the future to make his kid self a warrior? I've always been fond of it but never see it brought up.

It's too heartbreaking, because it suggests that Lursa and B'Etor are alive in the future. But then you remember Generations... :negative:

Generally, James Sloyan = great episode. But I can't speak for no Voyager.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Railing Kill posted:

Exactly. It makes me want to watch DS9, actually. At least DS9 has the decency to dwell on such a terrible decision with a bit more compassion and reflection.

This, but B5

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fister Roboto posted:

The cold open for "Violations" is so bad. It ends with some dude looking to the side while sinister music plays. Why is sinister music playing? He hasn't even done anything! This is going to be a bad episode, isn't it?
Enterprise really forgot that the teaser is supposed to tease, to show the viewer something that will catch their attention enough to watch the whole episode. Instead we got things like this (real example):

quote:

MAYWEATHER is reading a book. In zero gravity, sure, but he's still just reading a book.

SOMEONE ON COMMS: Ensign Mayweather, report to the bridge.

MAYWEATHER: On my way.

"It's been a long road..."

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
http://www.startrek.com/article/revised-expanded-trek-encyclopedia-out-oct-18

NEW EXPANDED STAR TREK ENCYCLOPEDIA! :supaburn:

BUT IT'S $150! :gonk:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Payndz posted:

Enterprise really forgot that the teaser is supposed to tease, to show the viewer something that will catch their attention enough to watch the whole episode. Instead we got things like this (real example):

They probably thought that an effects shot of someone casually floating around would blow people's minds enough to keep watching the show.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Memory Alpha is free, though. :smug:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Payndz posted:

God, there's so many like this. it's like a student that doesn't know how to put a hook into an essay. It's made worse by that loving theme song kicking in after whatever bland, colorless gruel ENT serves up as the teaser. :smithicide:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pakled posted:

Memory Alpha is free, though. :smug:

I guarantee you the authors of this new encyclopedia checked stuff on Memory Alpha at least occasionally, and I think it's pretty likely that they leaned on it heavily.

Hell, they probably had a few interns (and/or algorithms) checking the final text of each entry against the Memory Alpha article, just to make sure the wording was different enough.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

poo poo!

I didn't even know there was a second one until about 5 years ago when I saw (and bought) it on Amazon randomly. The first one is one of my most used and abused books. This $150 one has group Christmas present written all over it because I really don't want to pay for it either.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Powered Descent posted:

I guarantee you the authors of this new encyclopedia checked stuff on Memory Alpha at least occasionally, and I think it's pretty likely that they leaned on it heavily.

Hell, they probably had a few interns (and/or algorithms) checking the final text of each entry against the Memory Alpha article, just to make sure the wording was different enough.
Yeah, for comparison the big Star Wars Encyclopedia that came out a while ago borrowed heavily from Wookieepedia, including a lot of suspiciously similar wording and repeating mistakes that the wiki had made in identifying characters.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 19, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah, for comparison the big Star Wars Encyclopedia that came out a while ago borrowed heavily from Wookieepedia, including a lot of suspiciously similar wording and repeating mistakes that the wiki had made in identifying characters.

If you timed your edits right you could probably turn your fanfics canon that way.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So they made it official that the JJ Enterprise is way bigger than a Galaxy-class, huh? I thought that was just ILM embiggening it to make the shuttlebay fit inside and then the guy at Ex Astris Scientia turbo-nerding to work out the exact size from screencaps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I refuse to accept the Kelvinprise is that large. Did they ever say how large it is in any of the movies? Until they say something in a movie, I'm saying it's the same size as the original 1701/A

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Payndz posted:

So they made it official that the JJ Enterprise is way bigger than a Galaxy-class, huh? I thought that was just ILM embiggening it to make the shuttlebay fit inside and then the guy at Ex Astris Scientia turbo-nerding to work out the exact size from screencaps.

LMAO now think about how idiotically massive the USS V E N G E A N C E is.

Edit:

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 19, 2016

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Cojawfee posted:

I refuse to accept the Kelvinprise is that large. Did they ever say how large it is in any of the movies? Until they say something in a movie, I'm saying it's the same size as the original 1701/A

Its never mentioned but you can take an educated guess from the first one by the size of the windows and the escape pod Kirk is pushed into space. It's very comparable to the original and refit in size and I think it was only scaled up when they wanted to make the shuttlebay bigger.

So yeah, just another scale discrepancy to add to the pile.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

armoredgorilla posted:

LMAO now think about how idiotically massive the USS V E N G E A N C E is.

To be fair, more and more powerful ships would have helped a lot at Wolf 359. Huh, I guess in retrospect that guy was kinda right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Like all things in the Kelvinverse, there zero sense of scale.

The size is stated to be that big and needs to be that big for the shuttle bay, but the exterior windows point towards something like 20 ft decks if that's the case.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bull3964 posted:

Like all things in the Kelvinverse, there zero sense of scale.

The size is stated to be that big and needs to be that big for the shuttle bay, but the exterior windows point towards something like 20 ft decks if that's the case.
Marcus's other space-warcrime advisors were Breetai and Exedore, clearly.

Man the shuttlebays in general just seem to gently caress up all the senses of scale.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 20, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

He was officially something like an adviser. The crew had to listen to his input, but were under no obligation at all to actually do what he said.

Roddenberry's title was "Creative Consultant." He had the privilege of reading all script drafts for each movie (which is how he got early word of Spock's death and the Enterprise blowing up, and leaked them to the fanzines) but had literally no power whatsoever.

The Colonel West stuff was removed from the theatrical version of TUC for pacing reasons, nothing more.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Nessus posted:

Man the shuttlebays in general just seem to gently caress up all the senses of scale.

Voyager's shuttlebay can't launch the Delta Flyer.

What's even worse is that we have no idea how big the Defiant actually is.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, more and more powerful ships would have helped a lot at Wolf 359. Huh, I guess in retrospect that guy was kinda right.

Except you wouldn't want dreadnoughts, you'd want Tough Little Ships.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Zurui posted:

Even more mysterious: on Voyager, they once mentioned a "Shuttlebay Two". :tinfoil:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Powered Descent posted:

Even more mysterious: on Voyager, they once mentioned a "Shuttlebay Two". :tinfoil:

But there's no such thing as Shuttlebay Two!

MADNESS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They could have really solved the Delta Flyer problem by using that sop on the underside of the saucer.

Voyager's design in general is terrible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gonz posted:

But there's no such thing as Shuttlebay Two!

MADNESS.

We've always been at war with the Kazon!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Powered Descent posted:

There is no shuttlebay one. There is only the second one. It's just one of those things.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
A producer or writer said Bay 2 was actually a maintenance bay FOR shuttles and not an arrival-departure bay but really they just hosed up because they're stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well with nothing left to watch I decided to give Enterprise a go but the pilot is just terrible so I don't think I'm gonna do this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zurui posted:

What's even worse is that we have no idea how big the Defiant actually is.

Shouldn't we have a rough idea though? There's the Defiant vs Lakota flyover, the Ent-E flyover from First Contact, and the Sacrifice of Angels scenes. Unless they each used a completely different scale?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Shouldn't we have a rough idea though? There's the Defiant vs Lakota flyover, the Ent-E flyover from First Contact, and the Sacrifice of Angels scenes. Unless they each used a completely different scale?

Pretty much that. As always, more detail than you'd ever want is at EAS: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/defiant-problems.htm

(If he's still blocking SA as the referrer, just copy and paste that address into a new tab.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rhyno posted:

Well with nothing left to watch I decided to give Enterprise a go but the pilot is just terrible so I don't think I'm gonna do this.

That's what I thought but it's growing on me...

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Powered Descent has the link, but based on visual evidence the Defiant is either 50m, 110m, 122m, 139m, or 170m long. The sets only work at ~120m, but the shuttlebay isn't big enough unless the ship is 170m long.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love how they randomly get the phaser guns at the end of the pilot even though there was no way for them to have not had them since they left spacedock so why did they bother with the plasma bolt guns in the first place

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

If you haven't seen Enterprise before, skip ahead to the Andorian Incident. If you like it, go back and work your way through it all.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Met posted:

If you haven't seen Enterprise before, skip ahead to the Andorian Incident. If you like it, go back and work your way through it all.

You can never go wrong with Jeffrey Combs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Met posted:

I watched much of the first season when it originally aired. I'm just not feeling this right now.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I'll wait for the holographic version.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I don't understand why anyone would buy this. It's literally obsolete the day it comes out (because it doesn't include information from Beyond). If you're a huge fan it's just $150 of poo poo you already know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zurui posted:

I don't understand why anyone would buy this. It's literally obsolete the day it comes out (because it doesn't include information from Beyond). If you're a huge fan it's just $150 of poo poo you already know.

Corporations know fans have bought dumber and always will.