Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

Not-premium-but-still-good SanDisk x400 1TB will run you $230. It's insane.

And the Crucial MX300 has broken down through the $0.30/GB barrier at the 2TB size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And the OCZ VX500 is through the $.30/GB barrier at 512 GB.

I myself have never had any problems with OCZ at any point in time, but I recognize that I may be in the minority. Either way, it's backed by Toshiba NAND now, and they really want to reassure people that the OCZ problems are history.

5 stars, would buy again.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just avoid water cooling out of a residual fear that it'll spring a leak, or that the pump is more failure-prone than a simple fan. Maybe neither of those is true anymore, but I keep doing what I'm comfortable with.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

FuturePastNow posted:

I just avoid water cooling out of a residual fear that it'll spring a leak, or that the pump is more failure-prone than a simple fan. Maybe neither of those is true anymore, but I keep doing what I'm comfortable with.

All in ones are pretty safe now a days but pumps can be a but nosy and might want to get your own fans to be even more silent.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Neither my Corsair H50 nor my DDC pump made any noticeable noise... A GPU and/or case fan make more noise than a pump, in my experience.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As mentioned earlier, I jumped on the AIO wagon early on once air coolers got stupid. I got one of the very first Antec Kuhler AIOs, and while the mounting was jank as gently caress, three fans in single pull config died before the pump did.

(Admittedly, they were lovely Corsair static pressure fans and not what we know today, but I wasn't about to dip into my precious cache of Gentle Typhoons for sucking air through a radiator.)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
It's debatable on water cooling a CPU, but it's hard to say no to a water cooled GPU.

Also does anyone know the effect of single channel low bandwidth memory on Cinebench?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have been a fan of the Corsair AIO coolers for a while. The H100 and H50 I have on my Main/HTPC are both quiet and perform well for what they are, I would like to replace the aging H100 now for a newer 280mm cooler though that may be a bit quieter and better performing on my heat pump of a CPU. Though I wish I could get a better desk that doesn't limit the vent distance to about 8inches above the top of the case making the heat stay around the case a bit more than it needs to.

Also have never bent a pin or pulled off a USB headder. I have pulled off some header for something a long time ago, but I can't remember exactly what it was for....

The only angled port I am semi OK with is the SATA ones as long as they are at a spot that works on a normal cable manageable case as some of the cheaper boards that don't angle them, have the stupid SATA behind a GPU or some other tight fitting spot that makes getting to them at all a pain in the rear end.

One thing I have gotten better at, but still hate when it comes to do some minor adjustments is Cable Managing. When you have to go back and unhide that mess it is a bloody pain in the butt.

My Corsair 500R case had one of the front 2 USB 3.0 Ports die (a common problem for the case apparently) and the replacement front panel takes ripping most the entire font of the case off and getting to all the cables I have organized in my case to get it replaced.... I have had the replacement for like 2 years and still have yet to do it because... :effort:

One of these days, maybe when I do the cooler swap, or build a new rig in another year or two. At least one of the ports has been a reliable trooper.

Now the rear USB 3.0 ports on this X79... those are the finickyiest things ever. If they happen to stop working for whatever reason after a boot up.. You have to shut down and pull the power completely for them to come back into existence.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 20, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I really like the Nepton series, they are by far the best combination of thermal and noise performance at a given size. Unfortunately they didn't survive the Asetek lawsuit in the US and you can only get imports from overseas. I don't like them enough to drop twice the cost of the equivalent H-series on them.

Krakens are really nice too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 20, 2016

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have been a fan of the Corsair AIO coolers for a while. The H100 and H50 I have on my Main/HTPC are both quiet and perform well for what they are, I would like to replace the aging H100 now for a newer 280mm cooler though that may be a bit quieter and better performing on my heat pump of a CPU. Though I wish I could get a better desk that doesn't limit the vent distance to about 8inches above the top of the case making the heat stay around the case a bit more than it needs to.

One thing I have gotten better at, but still hate when it comes to do some minor adjustments is Cable Managing. When you have to go back and unhide that mess it is a bloody pain in the butt.

I'm surprised that the Noctua N15-d15s performs as close to those watercoolers as it does. And not ever having to buy a replacement seems like it would almost always be the clear winner as far as cpu coolers go. One of those with a couple large, quiet case fans to move around some air and you'd be just as well off as with a new AIO. But water cooling may help you pick up chicks better idk

Cable Management got a lot easier with modular PSUs. Mine isn't one, so I have about 20 yards of unused PSU cables hanging around the back of my case. So much in fact that I almost wasn't able to close it, and there's a bulge.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ninkobei posted:

I'm surprised that the Noctua N15-d15s performs as close to those watercoolers as it does. And not ever having to buy a replacement seems like it would almost always be the clear winner as far as cpu coolers go. One of those with a couple large, quiet case fans to move around some air and you'd be just as well off as with a new AIO. But water cooling may help you pick up chicks better idk

Cable Management got a lot easier with modular PSUs. Mine isn't one, so I have about 20 yards of unused PSU cables hanging around the back of my case. So much in fact that I almost wasn't able to close it, and there's a bulge.

Those Noctua coolers are really good, and before I built this system I ran a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme which was a fantastic quiet cooler that I still run on my Q9550 at 3.84ghz.

The reason I went Water AIO is due to getting the 500R case for Free from the Nvidia Lan in 2011. It was built for the new at the time H100 series cooler so i decided to give it a shot.

Heck I also won a H80 from that Lan as well and have yet to give it a home. If anyone is interested I still have it New in Box.

And yes, I have an older now Gold rated CoolerMaster 1000W PSU that is a quiet fantastic performer, but not a modular one (reason it was only around $150 or so vs $200+ for the Modular 1000W ones). The cables mostly all hide on the backside of the motherboard tray in the case side, but it is a tight fit.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Now the rear USB 3.0 ports on this X79... those are the finickyiest things ever. If they happen to stop working for whatever reason after a boot up.. You have to shut down and pull the power completely for them to come back into existence.

That sounds like a bad grounding issue. Pull it out the case, boot it up on a boardboard box (or the plastic anti-static bag that came with it).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

incoherent posted:

That sounds like a bad grounding issue. Pull it out the case, boot it up on a boardboard box (or the plastic anti-static bag that came with it).

Do not set a board on top of an anti static bag and turn it on.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yeah those things are conductive, and meant to protect against ambient static, running current will make it short everything :supaburn:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The conductive material is on the outside? I thought it was a laminating plastic on both sides with a pvd film in the middle...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

incoherent posted:

While that isn't a good idea it itself, it comes back and works fine when things are working normally after a power pull. All the other ports and the front USB 3.0 ports work fine all the time too.

It has something to do with the wonky ASMedia USB 3.0 ports that even Oculus doesn't support (and which is why I had to get a PCI-E USB 3.0 Card for the Rift.

Not complaining as it is a rather simple fix and they only die once in a while, but there is no repeatability to what causes them to just die out and spending time diagnosing it would be better spent on just making money to buy a whole new system at this point.

Outside of that, the system runs rock solid, even overclocked to 4.6ghz still on all 6 cores.

I do however need to do a Windows reinstall at some point. I think the mix of Updating from Windows 8.1 and other driver shenanigans as well as a few cold power pulls while it was running, has finally caught up to my install and while I can play the latest AAA titles just fine, a lot of smaller indie games just CTD with a useless "App" has Stopped Responding error. They work fine on other systems I have so it is either some driver causing it, some prereq that got corrupted or something, or god knows what other random issue. Office 2013/2016 stops rendering after a while, LCDMiscellany Applet for my G19 dies after about an hour for whatever reason, the list goes on. Weird phantom issues that seem to always crop up after a year or two's worth of messing with the OS and everything in it.

It just takes a while to get everything up and running again, and man do I not have the time to just waste doing that on a weekend like I did years ago.. Ugh

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And this, dear friends, is why the previous reports of how Zen's USB3 controller are hosed have got me worried.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

How can USB3 Controllers still end up being screwed up this late in the Game?

X79 came out around the time USB 3.0 just started hitting motherboards so having to throw on a bunch of 3rd party controllers to get that feature onboard was sort of a crapshoot.

But hasn't AMD had Native 3.0 since almost before Intel did on their chipsets? That and SATA 6G (even if performance wasn't as high at the start....ever?)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Doesn't the built-in USB3 being janky just mean motherboard makers will have to put another chip on the board? It's something nerds care about but no consumer will ever know the difference.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FuturePastNow posted:

Doesn't the built-in USB3 being janky just mean motherboard makers will have to put another chip on the board? It's something nerds care about but no consumer will ever know the difference.

It means a lot of cheap motherboard/laptop makers are going to save money by not putting another chip on board, and the consumer's going to end up having a computer with randomly broken USB.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
AMD and Asmedia were reportedly having trouble with USB3.1 (double speed USB 3.0).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hi AMD thread. How are you?

Like most of you, I really don't give a poo poo about Bristol Ridge and A320/B350 chipsets, when what we're all really waiting for are Zen and X370.

So, to brighten your days, I thought I'd share this.

http://imgur.com/gallery/LwIE5

holy poo poo guys I thought we were past this kind of stupid dumb poo poo

Suchao Modding & Design

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That thing is absolutely absurd. I love it and would never want to own it.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I uh, hrmm, I guess this is confirmation of X370 mini itx boards?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
p.sure it's still an FM-something socket build, nobody has X370 boards in production yet, and if there are any production samples that have made their way into the hands of the mod community or youtubers, I have yet to hear of it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Which part of that monster gets so hot it melts your hands and/or the plastic around it?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

PBCrunch posted:

AMD and Asmedia were reportedly having trouble with USB3.1 (double speed USB 3.0).

One thing I learned about ASMedia (and Oculus) was the ASMedia drivers from ASUS for the X99 that supposedly fix the USB3.0 ports for Oculus support, causes my comp to BSOD after a few seconds upon logging in on my X79 system.

The drivers install normally as if they were designed for it, but man does it suck that you can't just F8 to load startup options on Win8+ like you could on 7. :argh:

Luckily 3 BSOD crashes and you finally get the option of Safe Mode to remove those suckers. :v:

(Is there a way to boot into safe mode around POST time that I just clearly have overlooked since 8 came out?)

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

One thing I learned about ASMedia (and Oculus) was the ASMedia drivers from ASUS for the X99 that supposedly fix the USB3.0 ports for Oculus support, causes my comp to BSOD after a few seconds upon logging in on my X79 system.

The drivers install normally as if they were designed for it, but man does it suck that you can't just F8 to load startup options on Win8+ like you could on 7. :argh:

Luckily 3 BSOD crashes and you finally get the option of Safe Mode to remove those suckers. :v:

(Is there a way to boot into safe mode around POST time that I just clearly have overlooked since 8 came out?)

Nope. Go to msconfig and then on the boot tab set how you want to boot next time. With Windows 8+ you don't actually shut down anymore, you log off and essentially hibernate so you don't have the pre-load options like you had in 7 and before because it loads the saved state instead of serially loading like it used it (Kernel->Drivers->UI etc)

If you can't boot, you can endlessly blue screen, like you did, or you can boot to the CD/Flash drive with the windows 10 installation media and go to the Repair Your PC option.

It's keen. :v:

Arsten fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 28, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Arsten posted:

Nope. Go to msconfig and then on the boot tab set how you want to boot next time. With Windows 8+ you don't actually shut down anymore, you log off and essentially hibernate so you don't have the pre-load options like you had in 7 and before because it loads the saved state instead of serially loading like it used it (Kernel->Drivers->UI etc)

If you can't boot, you can endlessly blue screen, like you did, or you can boot to the CD/Flash drive with the windows 10 installation media and go to the Repair Your PC option.

It's keen. :v:

Yea I disabled the quickboot bit because of things like this, (Raid-0 SSD's, the slowest part is the X79 Post process), but yea I couldn't get to msconfig before it would BSOD so I had to wait for the 3rd time fail before the boot menu options came up.

That is the only thing I really hate about 8+ from 7, but as long as your sorta prepared, for the most part everything has been better so.. Meh. Doesn't happen often enough to be that big a deal.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
Hello amd thread.

I have a 990fxa-ud3 board and a fx6300. I'm planning on getting a gtx1070 soon. Would I be fine with the cpu? Or would I need to upgrade? Only reason I got the fx6300 was cause I bought it off a friend really cheap, I know the fx series aren't the greatest.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Blunderstorm posted:

Hello amd thread.

I have a 990fxa-ud3 board and a fx6300. I'm planning on getting a gtx1070 soon. Would I be fine with the cpu? Or would I need to upgrade? Only reason I got the fx6300 was cause I bought it off a friend really cheap, I know the fx series aren't the greatest.

Pairing a good video card with a poor CPU will mean that some GPU intensive things will run better, but CPU intensive ones will still be bogged down. It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to something more modern and Intel but it will also depend what you're running. If you're a betting man there's a chance that AMD's Zen processors due out next year will be okay.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Blunderstorm posted:

Hello amd thread.

Get the GPU and see. If you're at 1080p, you're going to be pretty severely CPU bottlenecked and could probably drop down to a much, much cheaper GTX 1060 and get the same frames.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Blunderstorm posted:

Hello amd thread.

I had that CPU and upgraded to a 6600K recently and my R9 280 saw about a 10-20% increase in minimum fps in most of my games and a 30% increase in a few of them at 1080p. That CPU will definitely bottleneck a 1070, but it really depends on what resolution you're playing at and what you consider playable fps. As the previous poster said, you'll probably be better off with a 1060 if you're playing at 1080p.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
Thanks for the suggestions. I might just jump to Intel since I want to replace this board anyway (broken usb 3.0 header)

I'd have to get a new board for the zen chips anyway when the release right?

I have the 6300 oc'd to 4.3 l, I guess I'll use that until I decide what the replace it with and hold off on the 1070.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Blunderstorm posted:

I'd have to get a new board for the zen chips anyway when the release right?

Yeah, Socket AM4.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Regrettable posted:

I had that CPU and upgraded to a 6600K recently and my R9 280 saw about a 10-20% increase in minimum fps in most of my games and a 30% increase in a few of them at 1080p. That CPU will definitely bottleneck a 1070, but it really depends on what resolution you're playing at and what you consider playable fps. As the previous poster said, you'll probably be better off with a 1060 if you're playing at 1080p.

AMD GPU performance does seem to be more CPU-dependent than Nvidia GPU performance. Some games are much more CPU-dependent (Cities Skylines) than others (Crysis 3).

Now is a pretty crappy time to buy a CPU. Kaby Lake and Zen are both around the corner. I would suggest you wait for now. Kaby Lake may be a requirement for Intel's Optane storage technology. Zen might force Intel to get competitive on price again.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 21, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What on earth are you talking about they only made one crisis game.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Pryor on Fire posted:

What on earth are you talking about they only made one crisis game.

That's a shame. It's been more than 15 years and they still haven't bothered to make sequels to The Matrix. It's probably too late now. Although 26 years didn't stop Kindergarten Cop 2 from happening.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

AMD GPU performance does seem to be more CPU-dependent than Nvidia GPU performance. Some games are much more CPU-dependent (Cities Skylines) than others (Crysis 3).

Now is a pretty crappy time to buy a CPU. Kaby Lake and Zen are both around the corner. I would suggest you wait for now. Kaby Lake may be a requirement for Intel's Optane storage technology. Zen might force Intel to get competitive on price again.

Yeah, Cities: Skylines had probably the biggest improvement out of any of my games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Is there a confirmed date on Zen that I just missed or didn't read? Or still "Q1 2017"

I destroyed the pins on my fx-8350 and I am wondering whether to just buy another am3+ chip or throw some bargain basement used chip in my board and limp for a few months, and wait for AM4.

• Locked thread