Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The iPhone Thread: Go to Accessibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

LODGE NORTH posted:

The iPhone Thread: Go to Accessibility

The iPhone Thread: I'd Rather Ask The Nice People Of This Thread If It's Even An OptionTo Turn It Off Instead Of Going Through 200 Menus, You Nerd.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It's in accessibility.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's actually in Display & Brightness. I was going to make a snarky reply that you can now search for anything within settings but it doesn't actually come up as a result.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So I just put in for my first iPhone ever. I have a 7+ coming in the next few days to months by what I can read on here. My big question is will my old android chargers work (the blocks themselves)? I have a few that are quick charge 2.0, and I didn't know if I could plug a lightning cable into them, or if the quick charge would like blow my poo poo up.

Also is there a good place for those kind of "I bet you didn't know ios10 could do this" tips in one place? Just going from 3 buttons to 1 is going to be a bit crazy, but I would love to know more about 3d touch, ect.

Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Searching for settings menus in Spotlight search also doesn't work at all like it does on OSX. Sucks that you can't just pull down spotlight and search for something like accessibility

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Searching for settings menus in Spotlight search also doesn't work at all like it does on OSX. Sucks that you can't just pull down spotlight and search for something like accessibility

It works a lot like macOS in that you can search from the setting screen and find what you want.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Did iOS10 eliminate the learning that took place on the headphone port? I've probably plugged in headphones over a dozen times since the update; screen and Music don't pop up from sleep anymore.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

enojy posted:

Did iOS10 eliminate the learning that took place on the headphone port? I've probably plugged in headphones over a dozen times since the update; screen and Music don't pop up from sleep anymore.

A lot of the iOS 9 "proactive" features seem to have gone the way of the dodo in iOS 10. Only the preemptive multitasking seems to have stayed. And that wasn't very noticeable anyway.

Siri app suggestions is the wrongest thing ever. I use the same apps at the same time every day and none of those ever show up as Siri suggested apps. That's the extent of proactive that seems to have survived.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I just saw this posted as a joke:
https://twitter.com/mostgood/status/776767255925383169
but honestly, it would be cool as hell if you could plug lightning headphones into the ATV4 remote and have it mute the tv and play through the headphones.

You can already use Bluetooth headphones.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Snowmankilla posted:

So I just put in for my first iPhone ever. I have a 7+ coming in the next few days to months by what I can read on here. My big question is will my old android chargers work (the blocks themselves)? I have a few that are quick charge 2.0, and I didn't know if I could plug a lightning cable into them, or if the quick charge would like blow my poo poo up.

They should work but they might not charge at full speed. The QC stuff will certainly do nothing on an iDevice.
That said, they would still charge just as fast as the crappy 5W adaptor you get in the box.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is rise to wake something you have to turn on in settings, or is it just for more recent models? My 6+ has never woken up this way, albeit it really isn't a huge issue given that I'm still pressing the home button to wake out of habit.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rorus Raz posted:

Is rise to wake something you have to turn on in settings, or is it just for more recent models? My 6+ has never woken up this way, albeit it really isn't a huge issue given that I'm still pressing the home button to wake out of habit.

Needs the M8 coprocessor. So that's the 6S/+, and SE for phones.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Snowmankilla posted:

Also is there a good place for those kind of "I bet you didn't know ios10 could do this" tips in one place? Just going from 3 buttons to 1 is going to be a bit crazy, but I would love to know more about 3d touch, ect.

Thanks!

The answer unfortunately is "maybe" although probably leaning towards "probably." Some generic blocks are going to throw up a "not supported" flag on your phone. Honestly, these usually charge anyway but use at your own risk.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

MrBond posted:

You can already use Bluetooth headphones.

I know - I just thought it was funny that someone's joke was actually not a bad idea at all.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Apologies if this has been asked to death: on the iPhone reservation page, does '12:01 am' go by local time zone for whichever store you're trying to reserve at, or is it a blanket 12:01 am for the entire country? I assume the former, since you'd think it'd specify time zone if need be.

Beyond this reservation page, if I'm trying to grab a phone by watching istocknow.com, what time of the day would I typically assume a store's new inventory to go live?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Revol posted:

Apologies if this has been asked to death: on the iPhone reservation page, does '12:01 am' go by local time zone for whichever store you're trying to reserve at, or is it a blanket 12:01 am for the entire country? I assume the former, since you'd think it'd specify time zone if need be.

Beyond this reservation page, if I'm trying to grab a phone by watching istocknow.com, what time of the day would I typically assume a store's new inventory to go live?

I'm pretty sure that page is disabled for non IUP transactions, though I thought I read that you can start it as IUP and change it to something else in store.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

rage-saq posted:

I'm pretty sure that page is disabled for non IUP transactions, though I thought I read that you can start it as IUP and change it to something else in store.

I'll do IUP if I have to (I figure the class-action suit that's going on now will clean up their act for next time), but yeah, I heard the same thing. Planning to do AT&T Next.

Revol fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 20, 2016

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
Got my iphone 7 and have been experimenting with the camera. Sometimes when taking night shots I get these white specks in images. They move around with the camera as you can see in the pictures. I've wiped the lens but they don't go away. Could it be dust in the camera? I first thought it was reflections but the light source is pretty far away. Is this normal camera behaviour or something in the lens itself catching the light?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Got my iphone 7 and have been experimenting with the camera. Sometimes when taking night shots I get these white specks in images. They move around with the camera as you can see in the pictures. I've wiped the lens but they don't go away. Could it be dust in the camera? I first thought it was reflections but the light source is pretty far away. Is this normal camera behaviour or something in the lens itself catching the light?

Your iPhone is haunted! Not covered under your warranty, sorry.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Internal lens reflection from bright lights?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah looks like internal optics and not an issue.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Oh neat, if you 3D Touch an app folder it will bring up apps that have unread notifications.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Snowmankilla posted:

Thanks!

I don't think anyone has a decent list. Last I asked here, I was just told to use the phone, which wasn't all that helpful. I'm sorta thinking of writing out a list that way others can hit the ground running. I don't know where to start though.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Oh neat, if you 3D Touch an app folder it will bring up apps that have unread notifications.

That is an awesome feature

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How or when does iOS 10 index your photos with its machine-learning fanciness? Mine appears to keep indexing when I open the Photos app, but it doesn't appear to be done doing it.

I just assumed it would do it while charging or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Plugged in, phone locked and screen off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
2 things:

1) I have had ios10 for a week or so now. In Messages, just now, today, when my wife was typing, I saw the little bubble with animated dots. It's looked 'normal' for the last week but today was all monochrome sketch-filter, like the AHA video "Take on me" from the 80s. What was that all about?

2) My wife was on a 2 year plan with AT&T Next. She had a 6. (so, 2 phones ago.) I was on a 12 month plan with AT&T Next 12. She didn't get an email when her new 7 shipped. I just got an email when my 7 shipped that I have 14 days to return my 6S+. BEcause she paid for her phone for 2 years, is it hers outright??

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
2: yes. Its hers. Although if she is wanting to trade in for a 7 she can get a $650 bill credit applied monthly broken over 24 months if she trades in her working phone. Its a good deal assuming you know she isnt going to want to upgrade next year. If you upgrade early you lose the remaining bill credit though so only do it if youre sure shes good with the 7 for 24 months.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Keystoned posted:

2: yes. Its hers. Although if she is wanting to trade in for a 7 she can get a $650 bill credit applied monthly broken over 24 months if she trades in her working phone. Its a good deal assuming you know she isnt going to want to upgrade next year. If you upgrade early you lose the remaining bill credit though so only do it if youre sure shes good with the 7 for 24 months.

Which means it is a poo poo deal. With how fast the tech moves, IMO no one should commit to a smartphone for 2 years from the outset.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
She already has a 7+ and we opted for Next12. So I just wanted to make sure that she owns her 6 outright. Sounds like she does. Great, we'll see what we can get for it. :)

[edit] Would that be considered "unlocked"? Do I need to do anything to unlock it to sell it?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 20, 2016

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Feenix posted:

2 things:

1) I have had ios10 for a week or so now. In Messages, just now, today, when my wife was typing, I saw the little bubble with animated dots. It's looked 'normal' for the last week but today was all monochrome sketch-filter, like the AHA video "Take on me" from the 80s. What was that all about?

That style appears when the other person is doing a drawing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Dave posted:

That style appears when the other person is doing a drawing.

Oh. Cute. heh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The drawing is ios10's killer feature.

I spam my wife with silly doodles.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Feenix posted:

She already has a 7+ and we opted for Next12. So I just wanted to make sure that she owns her 6 outright. Sounds like she does. Great, we'll see what we can get for it. :)

[edit] Would that be considered "unlocked"? Do I need to do anything to unlock it to sell it?

No, you need to unlock it:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Question since this is my first time getting my phone directly from Apple as opposed to Verizon. When I get my phone tomorrow, will it be setup with a new verizon sim card out of the box, or will I need to swap the sim from my 6s into the new phone?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

flipoff posted:

will it be setup with a new verizon sim card out of the box
Yes.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

Which means it is a poo poo deal. With how fast the tech moves, IMO no one should commit to a smartphone for 2 years from the outset.

You're certainly welcome not to trade in and sell it for 200-300 less than they offer so you can feel secure in your ability to trade $ for a yearly incemental improvement.

It seems pretty simple to me. Either take the extra cash and lock in for two years or pay a premium to trade up every year. Its your money. Burn it however you like.

For my inlaws who will definitely keep theirs for two years its a great deal. For me, who still has a year of payments left on a 6s its not as good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

Conversely, smartphones are so powerful now that any new flagship will work just fine for the next two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

But you have the endure the mental anguish of not having the latest phone for a full year.