Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanks Ants posted:

Seriously. "Far end microphone muted" would be a much clearer message.

I prefer other party microphone muted. Clear to technical people and the average person. Far end is also vague, the other side of the room? I don't care about background noise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Good, I don't want to hear some loud kid's party anyway :argh:"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or "the other person's microphone is muted"

Error messages are getting better in general these days, partly thanks to the trend of "conversational" marketing-speak and even meme-ese in product dress (e.g. Slack). But we all remember the days of :byodood: IT SAID I HAVE PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION, ALL I DID WAS TRY TO LOOK AT MY BANK ACCOUNT

(And even that was supposed to be a "friendly" improvement on "General Protection Fault")

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My company calls our non-online software "blah blah on premise" rather than "...on premises" and it's making me ridiculously angry that nobody else there understands why it's bad English.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

iajanus posted:

My company calls our non-online software "blah blah on premise" rather than "...on premises" and it's making me ridiculously angry that nobody else there understands why it's bad English.

Somewhat related, but it's like when someone refers to one cheek of your rear end as 'buttocks'. It's buttock.

:colbert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Somewhat related, but it's like when someone refers to one cheek of your rear end as 'buttocks'. It's buttock.

:colbert:

Don't be a buttocks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

iajanus posted:

I've gone on rants here about how none of the execs can get 'affect' vs. 'effect' right

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is effecting production.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The first time I got an e-mail that read "this is customer effect?????" I was really confused.

Now I just sigh and slowly shake my head.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
incidences
mentee

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Data Graham posted:

Or "the other person's microphone is muted"

Error messages are getting better in general these days, partly thanks to the trend of "conversational" marketing-speak and even meme-ese in product dress (e.g. Slack). But we all remember the days of :byodood: IT SAID I HAVE PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION, ALL I DID WAS TRY TO LOOK AT MY BANK ACCOUNT

(And even that was supposed to be a "friendly" improvement on "General Protection Fault")

Something went wrong

Dumb terminology is awesome, we've gone through so many dropped calls because for some reason people decide to press the "Release" button when transferring a call. What ever happened to the word "Hang Up"?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I opened up my browser and there was a message that said ERROR 911044: Type Mismatch. So I typed m-i-s-m-a-t-c-h but nothing happened"

(true story)

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

This is effecting production.

I knew a tool that decided they were the same work, and had a personal crusade to change the language to compound the vowels to combine the words. e.g. "This is aeffecting production!"

She used the double vowel each and every time one of the words was used in an email or notice.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A temperature warning came in. Our server room is managed by 2 air conditioners and 1 backup, and the larger of the two primaries poo poo the bed. The main concern is that the remaining AC and backup can just barely keep up, so any temporary increase in processing (nightly backup jobs) jacks the temp up.

The secondary concern is that the primary AC had vents that fed directly into the cold isles. Without this AC, the cold isles are basically non-existent as the secondary and backup AC just feed the room from ceiling vents over half of the room away from the biggest servers. This has led to a hilarious fan system my senior admin set up to channel the air from one side of the room to the other (25 feet). The fans are blowing into one another for a chain effect.

It's surprisingly effective but our server room looks extremely dopey with a combo of light industrial / floor stand / office desk fans.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Super Slash posted:

Something went wrong

Dumb terminology is awesome, we've gone through so many dropped calls because for some reason people decide to press the "Release" button when transferring a call. What ever happened to the word "Hang Up"?

Hang Up is kind of an archaic term when only a small minority of phones are wall mounted anymore.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hang Up is kind of an archaic term when only a small minority of phones are wall mounted anymore.

Sure, but people know what it means. See also: floppy disk save icons

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arsten posted:

I knew a tool that decided they were the same work, and had a personal crusade to change the language to compound the vowels to combine the words. e.g. "This is aeffecting production!"

She used the double vowel each and every time one of the words was used in an email or notice.

By effecting a change, I affected the office with a negative effect caused by an affect of my personality.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

"Clear down"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Doesn't 'release' refer to disconnecting the circuit that the phone is currently using and so ending the call? i.e. releasing the line?

Which is obsolete with IP telephony.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flosofl posted:

By effecting a change, I affected the office with a negative effect caused by an affect of my personality.

By aeffecting a change, I aeffected the office with a negative aeffect caused by an aeffect of my personality. :v:

spog posted:

Doesn't 'release' refer to disconnecting the circuit that the phone is currently using and so ending the call? i.e. releasing the line?

Which is obsolete with IP telephony.

It should simply be "Terminate" so that everyone who hangs up the circuit line can feel awash in power and control.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

About every 6 months the CEO tells me he wants to start using a password management program. Each time I recommend LastPass because he might actually be able to use it, and each time he ignores my requests to get it set up. On Friday he made his latest request so once again I get to chase him around for 2 weeks before dropping it until the next scheduled exercise in futility.

Time to set the help desk email to sisyphus@companyname.tld

Arsten posted:

It should simply be "Terminate" so that everyone who hangs up the circuit line can feel awash in power and control.

"Demolish" would also be acceptable. :black101:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Arsten posted:

When I press 'terminate', I expect some fucker to die.

Preferably in a James-Bond-Bad-Guy kind of way.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

spog posted:

I'd be fine with someone being kicked out of the company.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"End Call"

wtf

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

I'd be fine with someone being kicked out of the company.
"Eject"

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

"Desistificate communicron"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Error messages are hard. You have to know your target audience inside and out to make good ones. You can't say "remote" to non-technical people.

There's also, usually, limited space for the error, so you have to try to make the error clear and concise in very few words.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arsten posted:

By aeffecting a change, I aeffected the office with a negative aeffect caused by an aeffect of my personality. :v:

Every time you press terminate it physically cuts the line to the outlet so someone has to come out and re-terminate it to the wall plate.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Every time you press terminate it physically cuts the line to the outlet so someone has to come out and re-terminate it to the wall plate.

Stop the re-terminating bureaucracy, brah. They have been terminated with extreme prejudice and don't need the added useless oversight of re-termination!

Edit: Your username makes me want coffee. Jerk.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Back when I worked retail computer repair I had a re-image fail with the error message :siren: Code Purple :siren: and nothing more. My initial response was to crawl underneath the bench and cry.

A quick googling made it pretty clear what was going on but holy poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

spog posted:

DT: Do you expect me to talk?
Tony: No, Mr. Trauma, I expect you to do the needful!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

DT: Do you expect me to talk?
Tony: No, Mr. Trauma, I expect you to do the needful!

Triggered

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Arsten posted:

Stop the re-terminating bureaucracy, brah. They have been terminated with extreme prejudice and don't need the added useless oversight of re-termination!

Edit: Your username makes me want coffee. Jerk.
I've punched down enough CAT that I've got T568b etched into my brain with a punchdown tool. Don't talk to me about re-terminating.

I swear I've been using this username longer than I knew that Keurig was a thing. Everyone keeps thinking I'm all about the Coffee though. It's not even spelled the same way.

Renegret posted:

Back when I worked retail computer repair I had a re-image fail with the error message :siren: Code Purple :siren: and nothing more. My initial response was to crawl underneath the bench and cry.

We've got an open air office and our Tech Guy was pulling data off of a laptop who's helpful way of informing you that the battery is dead and/or missing is to cause the laptop's internal speaker to beep this weird not-quite-SOS alert. It took us two hours to figure out that the only way to stop this was to replace the battery that didn't exist.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kurieg posted:

On the bright side, this would mean that someone would get the job title of 'Terminator' and who doesn't want that job title?

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Renegret posted:

I did what was effectively T2 QA for a small game development company for a few years. Players noticed an occasionally-reproducible bug, something minor but noticeable. I tail the logs, start trying to repro, and then the phrase "gently caress, I don't know, something went wrong" pops up into my terminal. It turns out there was a race condition that was triggering reproduced code (lazy programmers!) which triggered a failure fallback that should never have been able to happen (the one good programmer!).

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

On the bright side, this would mean that someone would get the job title of 'Terminator' and who doesn't want that job title?

John Conner doesn't want you to have that job title.

Kurieg posted:

I swear I've been using this username longer than I knew that Keurig was a thing. Everyone keeps thinking I'm all about the Coffee though. It's not even spelled the same way.

Join date: Jul 18, 2012. Keurig pod release date: 2007. Spelling changed so you don't get sued.

You are indeed all about the coffee, seditious sir. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I used it elsewhere, I just didn't want to re-invent the wheel when I joined SA :v:

I intensely dislike the taste of Coffee, love the smell though.

But you know if you want to drink coffee because of my name or whatever, feel free. I'm sure GMCR appreciates the advertising.

Maybe I should monetize.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 20, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kurieg posted:

I've punched down enough CAT that I've got T568b etched into my brain with a punchdown tool. Don't talk to me about re-terminating.

We've got an open air office and our Tech Guy was pulling data off of a laptop who's helpful way of informing you that the battery is dead and/or missing is to cause the laptop's internal speaker to beep this weird not-quite-SOS alert. It took us two hours to figure out that the only way to stop this was to replace the battery that didn't exist.

orange-white, orange. green-n-white, blue. blue-n-white, green. brownin-white, brown.

These words have rolled through my head probably 20 thousand times.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

spog posted:

I'm still waiting for FTP (Fist Through Phone) to be developed so I can strangle/punch idiots I'm on the phone with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Kurieg posted:

I used it elsewhere, I just didn't want to re-invent the wheel when I joined SA :v:

I intensely dislike the taste of Coffee, love the smell though.

A wheel, you say? Like the round shape of Keurig cups? Hm. A shocking coincedence. :v:

And if you hate the taste of coffee, add sugar until it's tasty. That's what everyone else does.

• Locked thread