Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

rage-saq posted:

Its all on your phone, not your watch. When your phone backups up all your content on the watch is backed up too.

Ah that's it. I figured I was good with my automatic backup.

Also, is anyone getting lots of phantom notifications is os3? I feel like I'm getting at least one an hour it's really annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

~Coxy posted:

It's deployant.

Oh?

http://gevrilgroup.com/watchrepair/deployment-clasp-watch-buckle/

(Google seems to think both are correct. :shrug:)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Trust the French to have to use the English translation of a French word rather than the more accepted transliteration. :shrug:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The problem with that deployment clasp is it's not the apple link band publicly butterfly. All other clasps are garbage compared to that, I wish Apple/someone would design one like that but for leather straps.
https://www.strapcode.com has some pretty nice, actually good quality leather deployment bands by MILTAT that have a decent clasp and are still a fraction of the cost of Hermes.
My main band for my SS S0 is one of the "4th gen" happycell stainless link band clones but before that I was using one of the miltat leather ones.
If I change it up for my next watch I thing I want a shell cordovan band w/deployment clasp.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Consummate Professional posted:

Also, is anyone getting lots of phantom notifications is os3? I feel like I'm getting at least one an hour it's really annoying
Noticed it more right after updating but less so now. One particular change I noticed is one app I got notifications but it didn't make sound on my phone (afaik), so it never gave the haptic feedback on the watch, but now it does in OS 3. I'm thinking it could be some random edge cases like that that are causing the phantom notifications.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Does anyone have experience with the kits that allow you to use a normal watch strap with the Apple Watch? Seems like a good way to get higher quality but affordable straps on it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Yep. At least a few times a day, but sometimes more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Opioid posted:

Does anyone have experience with the kits that allow you to use a normal watch strap with the Apple Watch? Seems like a good way to get higher quality but affordable straps on it.
Yeah, they work fine. The one I got came with the screwdriver to undo it. I attached a Spiedel to it, but then hosed it up trying to remove some links, but the adapters work great!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
What are all of you Watch veterans doing for an extra charger? Is there a legit Qi option or do you have to go through with an official Apple charger at $40?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TraderStav posted:

What are all of you Watch veterans doing for an extra charger? Is there a legit Qi option or do you have to go through with an official Apple charger at $40?

I just got the cable for $30 and plug it into my Mac at work to charge it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So at first I was apprehensive on getting a screen protector for my watch but holy poo poo I did not realize how easy it is to bump my wrist on random things throughout the day. Super glad I got one now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IXLg9m1m4zZo_gyrrKcReJVI9sxEXpxuVw/view?usp=sharing

I've had the watch for less than 2 weeks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I think that's more of an indictment of how easy the PROTECTOR is to scratch/mar.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I think that's more of an indictment of how easy the PROTECTOR is to scratch/mar.

Pretty much this. I've beat my watch to poo poo over the past 15 months and while it does have some scratches they really aren't noticeable

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Ah I didn't even think of that. Good call. What kind of glass does the screen on these even use? Makes me wonder if I'd be fine without one now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Ah I didn't even think of that. Good call. What kind of glass does the screen on these even use? Makes me wonder if I'd be fine without one now.

You'd be fine without one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The stainless steel ones use sapphire which is the same thing the iphones use on their camera lens. You're not going to be scratching it unless you're going out of your way to smash your wrist against random things.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The stainless steel ones use sapphire which is the same thing the iphones use on their camera lens. You're not going to be scratching it unless you're going out of your way to smash your wrist against random things.

Story of my life.

MarcusSA posted:

You'd be fine without one.

I think so too but you'll be hearing from my lawyer if it so much as gets a smudge.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Story of my life.

I think so too but you'll be hearing from my lawyer if it so much as gets a smudge.

This is what mine looks like after the 15 months which includes lots of gym time and honestly not even being careful with it. I've honestly run into things and not even thought about it.

Also only recently did I start a job that I spend most of my time inside prior to this I had a very active job outside.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
That's not too bad, here is my SS S0 that I've had since launch and worn every day. The sapphire screen is still flawless but the stainless body has some scratches, nothing too bad.

I hear launch space black stainless watches are still totally scratch free, their DLC coating basically makes them invincible. If I can sell my SS S0 for a decent price I'll probably get a Space Black SS S2.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

rage-saq posted:

That's not too bad, here is my SS S0 that I've had since launch and worn every day. The sapphire screen is still flawless but the stainless body has some scratches, nothing too bad.

I hear launch space black stainless watches are still totally scratch free, their DLC coating basically makes them invincible. If I can sell my SS S0 for a decent price I'll probably get a Space Black SS S2.

My black SS I got at launch last year looks perfect. I'm sure if I took a magnifying glass I could find something, but that coating and black color help hide any scratches or dings.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rage-saq posted:

Mine was up until recently when I started indoor rock climbing and ended up grinding the top edge against the wall at times. The walls are..something harder than the DLC and sapphire apparently. But yeah up until that it's been flawless and I like the look of the black, so I'll probably get it again whenever next time is.

Speaking of space black, I was wondering if the Milanese loop was also DLC coated, going by this I guess it is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/4bw63r/be_careful_apple_space_black_milanese_loop_seems/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here's mine I got in November so not quite a year. Not flawless by any stretch but I'd much rather a scuff than a hideous screen protector (that's covered in scratches)

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I can't get certain apps to stop showing in my Watch Notification Center. Google inbox is one. It's off in the Apple Watch app but it still shows up. Is this a bug?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

dexter6 posted:

I can't get certain apps to stop showing in my Watch Notification Center. Google inbox is one. It's off in the Apple Watch app but it still shows up. Is this a bug?

I've got the same thing, except with the Lowes app. I don't even know how it got 'on' my watch. I can't delete it from the watch and it's flagged as off in the iphone interface.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, they work fine. The one I got came with the screwdriver to undo it. I attached a Spiedel to it, but then hosed it up trying to remove some links, but the adapters work great!

That's a fully sick combo and rocking the same atm.

WIFEY WATCHDOG fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 20, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

porktree posted:

I've got the same thing, except with the Lowes app. I don't even know how it got 'on' my watch. I can't delete it from the watch and it's flagged as off in the iphone interface.
I dunno if you did this or not, but you definitely want to turn off automatically putting watch versions of apps on your watch if you haven't already.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Getting a series 2 aluminum delivered on Thursday. Recommendations on selling the original SS watch? I don't want to deal with eBay, if I don't have to.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

milkaxor posted:

Getting a series 2 aluminum delivered on Thursday. Recommendations on selling the original SS watch? I don't want to deal with eBay, if I don't have to.

Sell it on Craigslist or here on SA Mart if you want fair value for it without too many fees.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Swappa is also good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Endless Mike posted:

Do you have any photos of it in poop?

Edit: Bonus commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8etk6sSOjM

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 21, 2016

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My local store final has S2s in stock, but only with sport bands. Am I going to be asking too much if I ask to do a band swap right off the bat?

Google says "some managers" will allow it, as long as you're swapping for an offered config. Just want to know I'm not being unreasonable before I go in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What are you trying to swap to? A nylon band? As I posted above, you want a sport band anyway if you're planning on working out in it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Endless Mike posted:

What are you trying to swap to? A nylon band? As I posted above, you want a sport band anyway if you're planning on working out in it.

$3 knockoff sport bands are good enough, but I'd like the official nylon for my $50 inclusion, since fakes haven't quite nailed the quality yet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is it normal for the exercise ring to increase even without a workout active? I'm still confused by what increases it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is it normal for the exercise ring to increase even without a workout active? I'm still confused by what increases it.

Anything that elevates your heart rate.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yeah my morning ephedrine and caffeine gives me a pretty good work out.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Anyone who wants more battery can try turning off some of your background app refreshes, the watch's Hey Siri mode and I got rid of everything in the Dock. On a series 1 poo poo is fast enough I haven't noticed extra waiting and I have easily 34-40% more battery life.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I was trying to set up the auto-unlock with my S0 and my Macbook Pro, but for some reason under iCloud settings and devices it shows that my watch still has 2.1 installed. However I am definitely running OS 3 on my watch. Is there any way to reset this?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It took some convincing, but the Apple Store opened up an S2 with a sport band and traded it for a nylon band.

Now apparently karma is a bitch and one tail of the nylon band refuses to lock into place on either side of the watch body.

edit: I figured it out. I have to rock the band connector front to back a little. Is that within tolerance?

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

It took some convincing, but the Apple Store opened up an S2 with a sport band and traded it for a nylon band.

Now apparently karma is a bitch and one tail of the nylon band refuses to lock into place on either side of the watch body.

edit: I figured it out. I have to rock the band connector front to back a little. Is that within tolerance?

Long shot, but are you sure you're not putting it in backwards (ie upside down)?

• Locked thread