Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
While people are talking Vortex, here's my stupid Ignition Berserker http://poeplanner.com/AAMAAWBBQU1CQ...UFRSDBBUUFBAAA=

Anything stand out about it? I know I'm lowish on life, I'm probably cutting some of the stuff near the Witch start and grabbing more life with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TheRat posted:

I started mapping with 0, and just bought them as I chugged along.

did you take spell dmg nodes and then respec out of them for sockets or was the damage fine without them?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

did you take spell dmg nodes and then respec out of them for sockets

Yes

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I made a short video of the build. Excuse the map, my map pool on standard is rather limited :v:. Also keep in mind that this is without uberlab (25% cold pen), on a 5link and with only 6/10 grand spectrums (180% vs 500% ele dmg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msnM2HlfpnA

(I wasnt aware shadowplay would be recording my microphone, so excuse the keyboard clicks and me doing my best impression of a horse)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
condolences

also, ever considered ice nova? less damage, but faster cast time and more aoe

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Hmm. So Vortex still looks fun but uhh. Looks like I need to make a new character instead of sticking with this Chieftain? I guess?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
This is why I play this game.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 20, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

nightwisher posted:

How well do non-oro/terminus builds work with generating frenzy charges to keep flicker refreshing? I haven't tried one of them yet. Also dots don't crit so I don't think they'd get the 0% resist effect from inquisitor.
I'm playing one. It's fine so far up through T8 maps with pretty mediocre gear (only a 4L, cheap weapon). The build guide suggests Blasphemy / Poacher's Mark as well as Blood Rage and the Blood Dance boots for charge generation but I replaced PM with Herald of Ash a while ago and haven't noticed any difference.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 20, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

condolences

also, ever considered ice nova? less damage, but faster cast time and more aoe
Ice Nova is vastly inferior to Vortex in terms of damage, mana cost, and utility (the constant chilling is really good). Plus, the whole point of the Ignite Vortex build is that Vortex specifically has the "modifiers to spell damage also apply to this spell's damage over time", which is what makes Ignite double dip like a motherfucker all over the place and oneshot bosses.

I really wanted to like Ice Nova, but it's just not all that great :(

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ice nova was great in 1.x, when you could stack aa + cloak of defiance + 14% leech, poo poo didnt hit very hard and you could just battlemage everything. I did manage to oneshot myself to lightning warp reflect though xD

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Allright, I just made a fantastic discovery. I've been using PoeItemInfo for years, but I never knew they had an optional macros section. If you scroll down on their info-post you'll learn how to enable stash tab scrolling with the mousewheel. I just did it and it's loving amazing. A++, would recommend everyone does this.

And since I often get asked what macros I use, here are the links to the two I use:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1678678 (poeiteminfo, with the mentioned tab-scrolling info)
http://lutbot.com/#/ (logout, hideout, remaining, invite-last-whisper, ladder overlay)

Both of these are fully approved by GGG, and at least one of them will lead to people calling you a logout macro baby (dont play hc without a logout macro, the game is literally designed around the ability to log out).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Wait, GGG approve chicken scripts (logout macros) for HC play? Whaaaaat?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

TheRat posted:

Allright, I just made a fantastic discovery. I've been using PoeItemInfo for years, but I never knew they had an optional macros section. If you scroll down on their info-post you'll learn how to enable stash tab scrolling with the mousewheel. I just did it and it's loving amazing. A++, would recommend everyone does this.

I have advertised this in game, apparently not enough though. I also recommend the one that returns you to your hideout, only really useful from town or other people's hideout - still very worth it in my opinion.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lungboy posted:

Wait, GGG approve chicken scripts (logout macros) for HC play? Whaaaaat?

Yes. As long as it's a manual keypress->logout and not an automatically triggered one.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
ggg realized they couldnt squash the logoffski macro/unplug gremlin so they made the game more oneshotty

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

killstealing posted:

ggg realized they couldnt squash the logoffski macro/unplug gremlin so they made the game more oneshotty

Nah, the original reason was that desync was a massive problem so they pretty much had to allow it. It was legal long before 2.0 upped the one-shot level by an order of magnitude.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
well i'm glad ggg made clear what kinds of macros are legal, though tbh it also invites rules lawyering like Shabbat lamps

theshim
May 1, 2012

killstealing posted:

rules lawyering like Shabbat lamps
oh god why

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

killstealing posted:

Shabbat lamps

Lmao, what the actual gently caress?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hahaha, what an obtuse way to make an antisemitic joke

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Are Rainbowstrides (with Stone of Lazhwar) good enough to last until red maps/shaper as a LL build? Or should I be looking for boots with more ES? What kind of values would you expect from decent boots?

Basically I'm trying to work out if I should bother trying to get +1 gems on a pair so I can ditch my Vertex for a 30% more ele damage rare helm.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hooplah posted:

Hahaha, what an obtuse way to make an antisemitic joke

Oh gently caress off

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Holy poo poo someone made a regalia that can reach over 1k ES

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What level does mapping start at? I got to cruel last night and I believe I was 44. Also, do I get gem rewards for questing in cruel? I need a bunch of support gems and am tempted to buy them so I can start leveling them even before I have the links to properly use them.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What level does mapping start at? I got to cruel last night and I believe I was 44. Also, do I get gem rewards for questing in cruel? I need a bunch of support gems and am tempted to buy them so I can start leveling them even before I have the links to properly use them.

If you're levelling normally, after the merciless act 4 Mines 2 quest.

If you're powerlevelling, any time after 60. But it's far more common to run dried lake until 70, certainly I wouldn't recommend going to maps until you can clear dried lake effortlessly.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Half-way act 3 merciless. Once you do the Solaris quests Dialla lets you into the Eternal Laboratory.

e: as noted ^^^ going in that early might not be the best of ideas, unless you're twinked to the gills on a build that starts working early

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Ornedan posted:

Half-way act 3 merciless. Once you do the Solaris quests Dialla lets you into the Eternal Laboratory.

This is the absolute soonest you can start mapping (unless you leach a Zana or two off of other people and get her into your hideout so you can use her map device).

gonadic io posted:

If you're levelling normally, after the merciless act 4 Mines 2 quest.

If you're powerlevelling, any time after 60. But it's far more common to run dried lake until 70, certainly I wouldn't recommend going to maps until you can clear dried lake effortlessly.

This is the soonest you should probably start mapping. Mines 2 has the last passive quest reward. The last quest reward period is Daresso/Kaom for a rare T1 map.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Also, do I get gem rewards for questing in cruel? I need a bunch of support gems and am tempted to buy them so I can start leveling them even before I have the links to properly use them.

Some

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I ususally run dried lake until 75. It's hard to pass up 100-250m XP/hour if your build can do it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lake is also nice cause there's not a ton of elemental damage so if you have poo poo resists you can farm for gear there

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
All you guys are making me think about doing Vortex. :p

theshim
May 1, 2012

Shinino Kage posted:

All you guys are making me think about doing Vortex. :p
Mine didn't really take off until hitting my Cruel ascendancy, though that's largely because a caster Berserker gets fuckall from the first point (except running around faster in town, I guess) and I didn't really have the damage to run proliferation with it. With the 40% more multiplier, though, I'm oneshotting bosses with ignites in early Merciless.

I've got it in a Tabula with Vortex - Chance to Ignite - Increased Burning Damage - Less Duration - Controlled Destruction - Elemental Proliferation, and I swap in Rapid Decay for the last slot on single targets/bosses. I could probably also swap in Concentrated Effect for Less Duration, it gives a larger more multiplier if I really need to delete poo poo :getin:

Also the leveling gloves are stupidly fun because you melt everything in Normal and it's just silly :buddy:

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

theshim posted:

Mine didn't really take off until hitting my Cruel ascendancy, though that's largely because a caster Berserker gets fuckall from the first point (except running around faster in town, I guess) and I didn't really have the damage to run proliferation with it. With the 40% more multiplier, though, I'm oneshotting bosses with ignites in early Merciless.

I've got it in a Tabula with Vortex - Chance to Ignite - Increased Burning Damage - Less Duration - Controlled Destruction - Elemental Proliferation, and I swap in Rapid Decay for the last slot on single targets/bosses. I could probably also swap in Concentrated Effect for Less Duration, it gives a larger more multiplier if I really need to delete poo poo :getin:

Also the leveling gloves are stupidly fun because you melt everything in Normal and it's just silly :buddy:

What did you level with up until 28? Frost Nova? Spark?

Also, what build are you using, Ultima66's?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Shinino Kage posted:

What did you level with up until 28? Frost Nova? Spark?

Also, what build are you using, Ultima66's?
I linked my tree (well, the major outlines, anyway, I'm probably moving a few points around) that I thought up at the top of this page.

I was using bullshit leveling gloves, so it didn't really matter what I was using when leveling - I think I was just wandering around with a Storm Cloud and Split Arrow for a while.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Does anyone know if the horror glove mod is affected by damage effectiveness for socketed spells?

theshim
May 1, 2012

climboutonalimb posted:

Does anyone know if the horror glove mod is affected by damage effectiveness for socketed spells?
I assume you're talking about the Hysteria mod? Yes. It also is for, say, Quill Rain's damage malus.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

code:
Res        Normal        -20% Regen        -40% regen        -60% regen        Vuln
88           10.8              13.5                18                27        14.4
89            9.9              12.4              16.5              24.8        13.2
How might Chieftain's 1% of fire damage leeched as life affect this?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Not at all. You can't leech from damage over time.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Hmm. This Chieftain ascendancy is looking more and more poo poo for Vortex

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
You get the ignite chance and some leech off initial hits. And a good pile of regen to help you go RF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

Hmm. This Chieftain ascendancy is looking more and more poo poo for Vortex

I'm thinking Elementalist and Inquisitor are the best for that.

• Locked thread