Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The 2016 October Horror Movie Challenge thread is now up and running with an OP with horror movies on streaming.

If there's any worth noting that aren't on the list, please send me a message or post a list in the thread to be added to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hey whoever recommended Shudder, I gotta second that. Great content for 5 bucks.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

The_Rob posted:

Amazon primes is much worst. hulu's is really bad as well.

Yeah, as annoying as Netflix's interface is, the one for Hulu seems like it was devised by a computer algorithm.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It kind of was. Hulu uses a/b testing for their web interfaces

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hulu actively made theirs worse, at least on the XBox 360. Used to be going to a category for movies showed you a list of everything in that category. Now they've brought in all the subheadings so you have to go through those to get to, I think, "Popular" which does eventually show all the movies.

And there's no Instantwatcher for it.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
A lovely user interface is like a point of pride for streaming services. See also: Spotify, Apple Music

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Turambar posted:

A lovely user interface is like a point of pride for streaming services. See also: Spotify, Apple Music

The reigning champ : iTunes. It's never been quick, intuitive or functional in fifteen years plus.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Netflix new releases are so bad you can only find them on the drop down menu.

Although I marathoned Johnathon Strange and Mr Norrell with the missus and found it enjoyable.

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 20, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What Happened to Johnny? just went up and it's a pretty good look at the disappearance of Johnny Gosch and the 80s stranger danger/satanic panic era. The poor mom went literally insane.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Assuming these streaming services have to pay more for the big names, they probably make it as confusing as possible on purpose.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Turambar posted:

I'm still completely loving dumbfounded that Spotify removed the ability to get notifications about new albums from bands you listen to on any device other than your phone :psyduck:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

What Happened to Johnny? just went up and it's a pretty good look at the disappearance of Johnny Gosch and the 80s stranger danger/satanic panic era. The poor mom went literally insane.

Yeah, I feel bad for dismissing Gosch's mom as a Fruit Loop.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Good lord, I followed that documentary's link into the Wikipedia rabbit hole of missing/abducted kids.

Mental heath advice: Don't do that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rented Weiner on Prime. It's really, really good.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Good lord, I followed that documentary's link into the Wikipedia rabbit hole of missing/abducted kids.

Mental heath advice: Don't do that.

Yeah I did the full wikipedia death spiral on that just last weekend. Between that and the time I just went through the list of "famous san quentin inmates" its a good thing IT pays no attention to anything I do at work because I must look like a real weirdo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to do a double feature of Weiner and Weiner-Dog.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Heads up: Deliverance in Netflix is cropped from its original aspect ratio (2.35-2.39:1) to 16:9.

Another victim of Netflix's poo poo quality standards.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Heads up: Deliverance in Netflix is cropped from its original aspect ratio (2.35-2.39:1) to 16:9.

I'll bet it's not Netflix's quality standards (millers crossing and such excepted). Most people don't want black bars.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok, I'm gonna be a little bit of a spoiler on this. Sorry.

The movie is alright. It seems really bad at first but give it 15 minutes. It starts to get interesting.

The male lead being a former military grade scientist is casting against type. I didn't think it worked very well but YMMV. The female lead is great, really sells the character. Despite that, their relationship didn't really work for me.

The premise is also fairly original. No, not the time loop, but (spoiler for a pretty good part of the premise) what if EVERYONE gradually realized they were getting groundhog day'd?

The time stuff has one huge problem that I'll spoiler below:

the twin reveals at the end is that the time loop has repeated thousands of times, and the time loop only extends about 200 feet from the ARQ. Well the problem here is that the main bad guy, Sonny, calls in people/robots from outside the loop! So from outside the loop, the perspective is: the same guy keeps calling for a pickup every couple of hours, eternally, and whenever they send robots they disappear or are otherwise prevented from interacting with the house. So how the hell does that work?
As I understand it, the time loop means that to the outside world, time has not yet progressed past the reset point. It's still the same day outside that it was the first time the time loop activated. It's hard to say what someone outside the circle would see happening, because every iteration of the loop is basically creating a different branching timeline. They're basically going back in time; but the only thing the ARQ is really doing, I guess, is saving information from the future (people's memories and computer data) and sending it to the past.

The thing that's confusing about that, to me, is the imagery. The reveal of the circular perimiter to the time loop, with the pristine house seemingly in a bubble protected from the outside world, certainly gives an intuitive impression that the time loop has somehow been going on while the outside world continues to degrade over time. However, as I was saying, I don't think this lines up with the literal plot; the time loop has only ever been happening on a single day. I think the idea is that the time loop ties into a theme that the main character has been isolating himself in his house and doing the same thing day after day, protecting himself from the horrors of the outside world. Like, he's been living in a kind of metaphorical time loop all this time, and then it just happens to be made literal for the movie.

A lot of the interactions between Renton and Hannah (and some of their general stupidity) bugged the hell out of me while I was watching it, but I ended up really liking the handling of the time loop and it has kinda stuck in my brain a bit.

Martman fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 21, 2016

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Jack Gladney posted:

Did you mean Who Took Johnny? That's the one I found on Netflix. I'm legit really interested in the Johnny Gosch case, and this looks good.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

K. Waste posted:

I've noticed a couple of others recently:

Netflix's version of The Seven-Year Itch is cropped to 16:9 but Amazon has it in the proper 2.55:1.

The Boys from Brazil on Netflix is 4:3 but it might be open-matte. Still I guess that isn't the intended ratio.

Also Ravenous on Netflix was 16:9 instead of 2.35:1 but it isn't available any more.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Did you mean Who Took Johnny? That's the one I found on Netflix. I'm legit really interested in the Johnny Gosch case, and this looks good.

Yeah, it's Who Took Johnny, the same one that was first released +\- six months ago. Way worth your time if you're curious about the case and the stranger danger era.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I'll bet it's not Netflix's quality standards (millers crossing and such excepted). Most people don't want black bars.

The buck has to stop somewhere, Ninja. The minority of jackasses who will threaten to cancel their streaming subscription (but won't) are not the ones in charge of sitting with the product and taking the ten seconds necessary to verify it's in an appropriate aspect ratio. In fact, it's becoming abundantly clear that there is nobody doing this, but that there are in fact people who's job it is to prepare cropped 16:9 transfers, formatting for which it's the broadcaster's duty, not the studio's, to specify and verify upon contract/request.

See also:

Action Jacktion posted:

Netflix's version of The Seven-Year Itch is cropped to 16:9 but Amazon has it in the proper 2.55:1.

The Boys from Brazil on Netflix is 4:3 but it might be open-matte. Still I guess that isn't the intended ratio.

Also Ravenous on Netflix was 16:9 instead of 2.35:1 but it isn't available any more.

Also, Quest for Fire and Hellraiser III, are pan-and-scan 4:3 versions.

The old crotchety schmuck who ties the hands of the broadcasting company has always been just an industry strawman. They have no power over and are not to blame for subpar service.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My 60+ year old parents and 85+ grandparents both complain about black bars, and there's no way in hell they'd ever cancel their subscription. Its just something people like to casually complain about but its really no more than a minor annoyance to them. Netflix is way, way past the point where they really need to be worrying about these kind of toothless complaints. Preserving the proper aspect ratios wouldn't hurt their bottom line whatsoever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The 1959 Journey to the Center of the Earth has the credits properly letterboxed, but not the rest of the movie.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Doesn't Netflix just take whatever source is sent to them on their movies? I doubt they will die on the hill of proper aspect ratio, considering they barely care about streaming movies anymore.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

K. Waste posted:

The buck has to stop somewhere, Ninja. The minority of jackasses who will threaten to cancel their streaming subscription (but won't) are not the ones in charge of sitting with the product and taking the ten seconds necessary to verify it's in an appropriate aspect ratio. In fact, it's becoming abundantly clear that there is nobody doing this, but that there are in fact people who's job it is to prepare cropped 16:9 transfers, formatting for which it's the broadcaster's duty, not the studio's, to specify and verify upon contract/request.

See also:

Also, Quest for Fire and Hellraiser III, are pan-and-scan 4:3 versions.

The old crotchety schmuck who ties the hands of the broadcasting company has always been just an industry strawman. They have no power over and are not to blame for subpar service.

I think the following statements are true -
-It's a minority of people that understand aspect ratio, much less are bothered by it.
-Some amount of aspect ratio skullduggery is due to incompetence (taking the easiest master that's available)
-The rest is intentionally selected (someone wants to watch the Prometheus at home fill their screen even if it's a popular movie that's actually formatted 2.35)

Time to start my letter writing campaign!

What would be great is if they had a feature where you could swap between aspect ratios (this will clearly never happen). But let's pretend. When FX got all the simpsons episodes it drove me crazy because they were 16:9 blow-ups of the 4:3 and it was so claustrophobic to watch. But now you can pick on their Apple TV app between 4:3 and 16:9, and even add director commentary.

So it would be neat if Netflix could do that.

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 21, 2016

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Knightmare posted:

Assuming these streaming services have to pay more for the big names, they probably make it as confusing as possible on purpose.

I don't see why. If you're going to pay for the big name films, I can't imagine you would intentionally try and hide them.

That said, Netflix really seems to love hiding their catalogue behind that recommendation engine. I'm always dumbstruck by how many good shows and movies don't show up during casual browsing on my account, but will be plastered all over my fiance's.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I think the following statements are true -
-It's a minority of people that understand aspect ratio, much less are bothered by it.
-Some amount of aspect ratio skullduggery is due to incompetence (taking the easiest master that's available)
-The rest is intentionally selected (someone wants to watch the Prometheus at home fill their screen even if it's a popular movie that's actually formatted 2.35)

Time to start my letter writing campaign!

What would be great is if they had a feature where you could swap between aspect ratios (this will clearly never happen). But let's pretend. When FX got all the simpsons episodes it drove me crazy because they were 16:9 blow-ups of the 4:3 and it was so claustrophobic to watch. But now you can pick on their Apple TV app between 4:3 and 16:9, and even add director commentary.

So it would be neat if Netflix could do that.

They added Director's Commentaries? Sick.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Commentaries are the #1 special feature I desire from streaming services even if it means a neverending supply of hearing the part of the commentary where they wonder aloud if anyone listens to commentaries.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Same. I don't even care if it's just guys shooting the breeze, I always enjoy that stuff. It's the logical extreme of "making of" stuff, which is more or less always fluff. I'd rather just have the stream of consciousness.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Baronash posted:

That said, Netflix really seems to love hiding their catalogue behind that recommendation engine. I'm always dumbstruck by how many good shows and movies don't show up during casual browsing on my account, but will be plastered all over my fiance's.

That whole thing is like at the core of their philosophy as a streaming service, so I don't see it ever changing. They want you to feel like Netflix is a bottomless well of entertainment, that there will never come a day where you browse around and realize you've seen everything you want to see.

It kinda works too. I've been on the cusp of cancelling my subscription for over a year now, but I always stumble on a few things that make me go "ehhh, just another month or two".

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I bought all of The Simpsons dvds up to season 9 when they came out and listened to all of the commentaries. They are really good and worth it even if just for the anecdotes. I think it was season 1 when one person (I cant remember who suddenly) was still so upset about how bad he felt the animation was that he walked out of the commentary.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Same. I don't even care if it's just guys shooting the breeze, I always enjoy that stuff. It's the logical extreme of "making of" stuff, which is more or less always fluff. I'd rather just have the stream of consciousness.

I always throw this out there but any Kurt Russell + John Carpenter commentary is awesome in the "shooting the breeze" kind of way, IMO.

Also the in-character King of the Hill commentaries were pretty good IIRC.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Rampage (the Friedkin one) is not just in 4:3 pan and scan but is pretty obviously literally the vhs transfer, it looks awful.

Thanks for the heads up on Quest for Fire, I have it in my queue but won't bother now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I bought all of The Simpsons dvds up to season 9 when they came out and listened to all of the commentaries. They are really good and worth it even if just for the anecdotes. I think it was season 1 when one person (I cant remember who suddenly) was still so upset about how bad he felt the animation was that he walked out of the commentary.

The one where the writer of the Armin Tamzerian episode defends it endlessly is astounding. All of the commentaries are worth your attention.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

The one where the writer of the Armin Tamzerian episode defends it endlessly is astounding. All of the commentaries are worth your attention.

The one saving grace of the Armin Tamzerian episode is we can claim "Simpson's did it!" to Mad Men.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Commentaries are the #1 special feature I desire from streaming services even if it means a neverending supply of hearing the part of the commentary where they wonder aloud if anyone listens to commentaries.
If you're listening to this, I hope you watched the movie first.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Futurama DVD commentaries are also a pro-watch. By the way, Amazon put up commentaries for the first season of Transparent. :gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dr Monkeysee posted:

The one saving grace of the Armin Tamzerian episode is we can claim "Simpson's did it!" to Mad Men.

Both stories are inspired by a real guy in medieval France, I'm pretty sure. Look up Martin Guerre sometime.