Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

All I remember about that is the artist's infatuation with Angelina Jolie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Secret War was cool. I liked the back matter with the B team that never appears in the book. Part of the plan for destabilizing Latveria is dropping the Hulk on one end, the Punisher on the other, and let them work their way in.

Tim Seeley is a cool dude. Talked to him for a bit without knowing who he was. He compared comics to movies with subtitles, because supposedly, reading and visuals engage the left and right brain. I don't know. I was high. He was probably high too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

All I remember about that is the artist's infatuation with Angelina Jolie.

o it's that secret war, the one where quake is just teenage angelina jolie?

yea it was good. I have the hardcover for it and I like the section in the back that's just nick fury trying to decide who to take

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The discussion on the previous page has me thinking that it would be pretty cool if Ta-Nehesi Coates had the opportunity to write Spider-Man because he's such a huge fan of Peter Parker.

Of course, given that Peter is a pretty different character nowadays from the one he would have grown up with, maybe he wouldn't want to write him unless they did another Brand New Day soft reboot - I don't know.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

The discussion on the previous page has me thinking that it would be pretty cool if Ta-Nehesi Coates had the opportunity to write Spider-Man because he's such a huge fan of Peter Parker.

Of course, given that Peter is a pretty different character nowadays from the one he would have grown up with, maybe he wouldn't want to write him unless they did another Brand New Day soft reboot - I don't know.

Maybe he could take over for Gerry Conway on Renew Your Vows in the future. He's definitely stated that he's a fan of the marriage, and giving him a free hand without having to worry about tying into event comics would be awesome.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Toxxupation posted:

I just finished Secret War, and I'm surprised that more people don't talk about that event. It's a really good, well-crafted crossover event with an interesting central conceit that's executed really well. Just solid all around.
I haven't read it since it was originally published, and a lot of it was delayed which kind of killed the pacing of it. I should probably re-read it, but I remember it only being "ok", but with stellar Dell'otto art.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Unrelated to current convo, but I realize now that earlier I confused Cullen Bunn and Adam Beechen. That's why I referred to him as a red flag. Holy poo poo was I way off. Looking forward to Monsters Unleashed and going to check out The Sixth Gun now. Peace.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

the fact that this isn't another one of those "quirky female-fronted books" is one of the reasons I'm excited honestly

I mean yeah I like (most) of those books but there's room for more than one tone

I feel the same way. I love Hellcat and Squirrel Girl and Silk and Gwenpool, but with a few exceptions, every book with a woman lead is a humor book or has heavy humor elements to it. Outside of Black Widow and, arguably, A-Force, they're all "quirky". Showing a range of tones from goofy to actually grimdark is the next step.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe he could take over for Gerry Conway on Renew Your Vows in the future. He's definitely stated that he's a fan of the marriage, and giving him a free hand without having to worry about tying into event comics would be awesome.

Black Panther is doing just fine without any Civil War 2 tie ins. I'd want him to write Peter and Miles. I think he'd be the perfect person to say some things about that relationship, and Miles in general.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soonmot posted:

I feel the same way. I love Hellcat and Squirrel Girl and Silk and Gwenpool, but with a few exceptions, every book with a woman lead is a humor book or has heavy humor elements to it. Outside of Black Widow and, arguably, A-Force, they're all "quirky". Showing a range of tones from goofy to actually grimdark is the next step.

Mockingbird kind of straddles the line too. I think it's more showing that Bobbi has a fairly sardonic personality and everything is from her POV.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alias, Secret Warriors and All-New Ghost Rider sale. Reminder, Alias ain't on MU.
https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-TV-Collections-Sale/page/12364?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
A couple of things from the december solicits

First, i'm digging this cover

Second, *******SPOILERS***** but it's for SG so it's not a huge deal and it's funny so you should read it

[spoiler]

quote:

When the TASKMASTER comes to town – and brings with him his ability to DUPLICATE ANYONE’S SWEET MOVES – who stands between him and total domination?
See, I can tell you’re glancing at the title of this comic and whispering “Well, it’s PROBABLY Squirrel Girl,” but guess what? This time it’s actually Nancy’s cat Mew, who has NO POWERS WHATSOEVER!
THRILL as Mew loafs around the house! GASP as Mew chases a mouse and then has a nap! BOGGLE as you wonder how we possibly managed to pitch “an issue entirely from the cat’s point of view” to Marvel, a multinational corporation with a LOT invested in our comic continuing to star a squirrel and/or girl!
They knew the risks when they let Hawkeye have that Pizza Dog issue though, so this was clearly inevitable.
MEW ISSUE, BRING YOUR TISSUES!
[/spolier]

E: there's some other cool covers in there to look at http://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-december-solicitations/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

And here I am with no money to buy it with.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ah yeah! Finally getting to read Alias.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A new Slapstick series?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
X-Men 92 is ending gently caress THIS COMPANY

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Poor Illinois.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

Poor Illinois.

I'm from Illinois. They deserve less.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

gently caress those Illinois Hydras.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did we already follow-up on the secret Gillen marvel project? Because it's a star wars book

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think you mean

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Soonmot posted:

The upcoming Gamora book which finally got solicited should be a serious title as well.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Blockhouse posted:

Chris Sims said on his podcast that he took the job and was told in no uncertain terms that it'd be a temporary thing, so....yeah.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Blockhouse posted:

Raaaaaaaaaaage! :argh:

I liked the writers a lot on this (big fan of Sims' X-Men recaps of course) and on their Damage Control story in CWII - Choosing Sides but I will be so pissed if Alti Firmansyah isn't immediately put onto another awesome Marvel project. I love her X-Men '92 art and her work on Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde was phenomenal. '92 was so perfect for her style though, dang. :(

Just put her on another fun X-Men book post IvX or even before then, I don't care. Or the next GotG volume.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Blockhouse posted:

Are they ending it to focus on Gambit 92? 'Cause that spark of hope's the only thing keeping me from jumping right now.

For real though X-Men NEEDS a fun book not bogged down in continuity.

edit2: by which I mean a team book. ANW is already a fun book not bogged down in continuity. What I'm really getting at is I need All New New X-Men Academy X Starring Rockslide and Anole as the X-Dudes.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 20, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Black Panther is doing just fine without any Civil War 2 tie ins. I'd want him to write Peter and Miles. I think he'd be the perfect person to say some things about that relationship, and Miles in general.

Fair enough, but I think the main Amazing Spider-Man would probably be a bit more limiting for him creatively, while RYV would let him be able to make wider changes to the overall universe without worrying about stepping on toes. I'd be happy with him writing either ASM book, really.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bring Back Spider-Men

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Poor Illinois.

Indiana got Winter Soldier, which rules.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

site posted:

A couple of things from the december solicits

First, i'm digging this cover

E: there's some other cool covers in there to look at http://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-december-solicitations/

KING SOLOMONS FROG!

I was wondering when we were going to get some of Kirby's Black Panther. Not that I'm complaining about the current Jungle Action style.

EDIT: Aw. It's only a variant.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 21, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

Are they ending it to focus on Gambit 92? 'Cause that spark of hope's the only thing keeping me from jumping right now.

For real though X-Men NEEDS a fun book not bogged down in continuity.

edit2: by which I mean a team book. ANW is already a fun book not bogged down in continuity. What I'm really getting at is I need All New New X-Men Academy X Starring Rockslide and Anole as the X-Dudes.

when spider-man's company inevitably implodes in on itself like a star, he'll take over the jean grey school and go on fun adventures with his friends rockslide and shark girl

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Oh no

quote:

SPIDER-MAN #11
BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • SARA PICHELLI (A/C)
The untold history of MILES MORALES’ FATHER!
What was life like for Jefferson Davis before his son was born…
…When he was an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.?!

Oh god please not again Bendis why

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bendis has the most specific fetish I have ever seen.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Secret Origins of Miles' Dad issues were fine, they just came when the writing was on the wall and everyone knew that the 1610 was ending, so it came off as a gigantic waste of time and really just utterly confusing why Bendis would slot that arc in when all of it was about to be retconned.

Miles' dad is a great character, plus Bendis has been setting up some mystery to the character so an origins/flashback issue makes sense, and most importantly isn't saddled with "Why the gently caress are you giving us a loving origin arc when the entirety of the universe you created is gonna come crashing down, come on Bendis".

I seriously think nobody would ever complain about that arc if it happened early on when Miles was just getting started as the next Spider-Man. It's a good story that's horribly, horribly placed in the run because it lets out literally all the air to what should be this really triumphant buildup for the end of a universe that Bendis basically willed into existence with Spider-Man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I thought people hated it because tying members of the supporting cast into the superhero community was dumb and bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why is that bad?

he was just a shield agent, it's not like he was captain america's nephew or something

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Because it's so loving boring. Being a regular dad is much more interesting than a dude who probably dealt with supers on the regular.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nothing's invalidated. I don't think that sounds like it's covering any of the same ground. We never actually got a story about him being an agent.

You could argue that the Ultimate Kate Bishop Hydra stuff was a waste of time (I would just because it was a lousy end to the series,) but there's no indication that the dad's history isn't more or less folded in fine.

e: Didn't that dad stuff happen before Cataclysm? There was still another year of All-New Ultimates.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 21, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Toxx nailed it. The story itself was good but it was just really out of place introducing all these aspects of the character in a universe we knew was going away at the time.

Everyone knew the Ultimate Universe was done for by that point even if it carried on for a while longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Having a Spider-Man's parents be secret spies or tied to secret conspiracies is such a weird alienating story choice but for some reason writers keep doing it as if there's hidden meticulous internal research showing that it's some sort of great idea that everyone loves or something. (It's not!)

Manatee Cannon posted:

when spider-man's company inevitably implodes in on itself like a star, he'll take over the jean grey school and go on fun adventures with his friends rockslide and shark girl
I hope Spidey likes hanging out in a demon dimension?

• Locked thread