Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Video starts with a message for the metal thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYn47sYt6vM&t=284s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

You can hate Devin Townsend past 2006 but how can you hate Devin Townsend in 1997? He was putting out mostly good stuff until Alien gave him wide acclaim and he got hooked on masturbating in public.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 20, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Devin Townsend's the Invader Zim of metal.

e: oh hey my first post in this thread, saying something positive about the guy

William F Cuckley posted:

Devin Townsend seriously missed his calling as a big-time pop music producer. He could've been the next Max Martin or Dr. Luke. He has a great ear for radio-friendly hooks but unfortunately his aesthetic sense is stuck in early 90s alt metal.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

a fleshy snood posted:

here let me try to trigger you some more: i literally just bought tickets to see Ghost in november

you're in for a treat soooooon -- ghost live is awesome!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Nurel posted:

you're in for a treat soooooon -- ghost live is awesome!

Saw 'em open for Iron Maiden in June and it was pretty fun.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Lock Horns is back on Banger Films' Youtube channel this Wednesday. They're doing death metal this week. If you're unaware, the show is Sam Dunn revising the branches of the Metal Family Tree from Metal: A Headbanger's Journey/Metal Evolution, so if you're a sub-sub-subgenre metal nerd it's pretty interesting.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Dead Congregation posted on their FB that they have an Oct-Nov Euro tour coming up, but the important news is that this tour is to promote a new "release" (whether full length or EP, who knows), Sombre Doom. There's no indication when it's coming out though.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Devin Townsend is really really bad.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I love Devin and Ghost haha I'm the worst gently caress you

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Lock Horns is back on Banger Films' Youtube channel this Wednesday. They're doing death metal this week. If you're unaware, the show is Sam Dunn revising the branches of the Metal Family Tree from Metal: A Headbanger's Journey/Metal Evolution, so if you're a sub-sub-subgenre metal nerd it's pretty interesting.

That was the really bad tree with like cradle of filth as norwegian black metal and other stupid things on it, iirc.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Devin is undeniably nice in person though

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

A human heart posted:

That was the really bad tree with like cradle of filth as norwegian black metal and other stupid things on it, iirc.

IIRC he actually didn't have doom metal on there.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

A human heart posted:

The original list was 11 years ago and at the time I understand why he put them there, but in season 1 they took both CoF and Dimmu off the list. Dimmu was decidedly more Symphonic and CoF is closer to Shock Rock. It's all highly theoretical, but I just like the idea that a legit anthropologist is trying to figure out metal.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 20, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

He's doing a really bad job at figuring it out, if that's the intention

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hey guys just like whatever you want, don't worry about what other people think, you don't need validation from weirdos on the internet

anyway that's my two cents, bye

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

COOL CORN posted:

Hey guys just like whatever you want, don't worry about what other people think, you don't need validation from weirdos on the internet

anyway that's my two cents, bye

but how will i discover my place in the scene if i don't know which bands to poo poo on unbidden?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh My loving God is a fun song, otherwise I don't really care about SYL or Devin's other stuff. Except that live video snippet I once saw where he had the moshpit do a huge group hug, that was funny.

That's my super important and profound take on Devin Townsend. Have a nice day y'all.

P.S: It's nice the topic title change finally happened.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
i'm just over here listening to arghoslent you guys

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Von Sloneker posted:

Dead Congregation posted on their FB that they have an Oct-Nov Euro tour coming up, but the important news is that this tour is to promote a new "release" (whether full length or EP, who knows), Sombre Doom. There's no indication when it's coming out though.

Who loving cares about Devin because this is obviously the most important information posted within the last several pages. I love Dead Congregation.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

new title demands that the thread goes gold

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Devin Townsend has his own thread, you jamokes
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498539

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

COOL CORN posted:

i'm just over here listening to arghoslent you guys

I am slowly learning every riff off Hornets. It's such a good loving album.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Faffel posted:

I am slowly learning every riff off Hornets. It's such a good loving album.

cool man yeah it's great

weekling
May 21, 2016
i met devin before and he was supe4 nice to me but thats everything good i can say about the guy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CoF was awesome.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I met Devin at Summerbreeze a couple years ago and it was nice because literally everyone at Summerbreeze is German and I don't speak German (because I'm Canadian)

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
So I heard the new Prophets of Rage single on the radio and why does anyone care about this band? idgi

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

So I heard the new Prophets of Rage single on the radio and why does anyone care about this band? idgi

Because people care about Rage Against the Machine and this is as close as we can get to a reunion. I haven't heard them yet but I've read the EP is less than stellar.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because people care about Rage Against the Machine and this is as close as we can get to a reunion. I haven't heard them yet but I've read the EP is less than stellar.

The two new songs are pretty standard-sounding RATM tracks that could have been from Evil Empire, albeit with different vocalists. I think the problem is that music has moved on -- it's almost been 25 years since their debut album. I loved that first one, but poo poo, that was a loooooong time ago.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I like Gloryhammer, Lich King (when I'm in the mood), and Havok (but only really Burn). Is there a fourth band for me?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
well you've pretty much proven that you have no standards whatsoever with those picks so i think that any recommendation will be safe

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I like Gloryhammer, Lich King (when I'm in the mood), and Havok (but only really Burn). Is there a fourth band for me?

quote:

Metal Thread #19862016 - BOLT THROWER

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That's two thrash bands and a power metal band, so there's probably dozens of bands you might like.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Vindicator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DLe41snVEY

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Well if you like Gloryhammer you might as well embrace the cheese further and listen to Alestorm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzONnhxrWk

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't really like much of his music but if you "hate" Devin then you're loving garbage and need to stop being such a try hard idiot.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't really like much of his music but if you "hate" Devin then you're loving garbage and need to stop being such a try hard idiot.

You seem kinda mad about this my man

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I think that telling people that you "hate" some kinds of music is generally a strange, and bad, thing, generally.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

sinking belle posted:

I think that telling people that you "hate" some kinds of music is generally a strange, and bad, thing, generally.

It's clear that you've never listened to The Browning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjPd0nGRnv0