Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Tippis posted:

Also…

We're going to need a new :frontear: if this keeps happening.

Okay, now I'm mad!!!! So between this and the route filter, there is exactly zero-chance of anything bad happening to an explorer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Okay, now I'm mad!!!! So between this and the route filter, there is exactly zero-chance of anything bad happening to an explorer...

:allears:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Einbauschrank posted:

Lately I have problems submitting to interdictions. I set the throttle to zero, but dont drop out of supercruise and get hit with 45s cooldown. Any idea what might be the problem?

Submitting isn't instant, it takes a few seconds to kick in and you can still lose the minigame and get successfully interdicted during that period. You need to keep following the escape vector until the submit completes and the interdiction attempt ends.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Patch notes look dope AF!

Super excited about "biological entities" and "mysterious things..."

I hope the jump boost is 250%, other wise it will be like time-delayed transfer: novel but functionally useless. At 250%, you could at least plot a neutron-star-route to different places, but a 25% boost is pretty pointless, especially when the mats to perform a 25% boost are literally everywhere.

Tough luck, the brown sea is about 75% in favor of 25% boost. Because more will damage the sense of scale or whatever, I'm not even trying to understand anymore what nonsense those people come up with, I think I'll just mock them from now on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Don't worry, Frontier will implement novae and super novae soon, so there'll be a non-zero chance of randomly exploding when exiting witch space. Have fun!!!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tippis posted:

We're going to need a new :frontear: if this keeps happening.

It can appear safely outside the star and then turn round and plough into it by popular vote :nallears:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yes, yes!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Super excited about "biological entities" and "mysterious things..."

You and me both dude, but we've been waiting for thargoids for what, almost 2 years? By now I don't believe anything is coming ever and they're just trolling us :smith:

FileNotFound posted:

People are raging about the transfer costs and time - but it seems the current state maybe a bug.

Wait so the brown sea "overwhelmingly" voted (apparently) for having delays and transfer costs, now is angry about it because -surprise!- Frontier hosed the balance over and will refuse to properly adjust it, so it takes tons of time AND money to get your ship where you want it? :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

fighters don't have fuel, some autist is probably typing a wall of text about immersion breaking

How dare they, this is so unimmersive my computer might spontaneously combust. I require fighters to be equipped with a 0,1 ton fuel tank that runs out after 2 minutes of puttering around so they have to re-dock and re-fuel

edit: perusing the brown sea is always fun, here's what I found - a guy thinking that buying a Ł6.99 beta access for the privilege of betatesting is great value and wishes to know if "progress" in the beta (where prices are reduced to basically zero so people can, y'know, test stuff) carries over to the main game

quote:

From people's experiences so far, do they reckon it is a must-buy right now, or (as I am busy doing other things in the game) it can wait until it becomes more than beta? Or will I not be allowed to join in the future, or? Also, it has been stated that all progress in the beta will be lost when the period comes to the end, but as that wasn't the case in the past with other betas, is there a good chance that progress made in this beta will last? It's not about the money (Ł6.99 seems like great value), it's about the time investment when I will be working more IRL and flying less.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 20, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Libluini posted:

Presumably you also hear your ship tearing apart by the onslaught of heat

Heads up: Don't drop out of supercruise while you are in the cone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJScrUfF7I

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Alehkhs posted:

:iit:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Alehkhs posted:

:circlefap:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alehkhs posted:

More stuff like this everywhere please

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
25% boost :lol:

But it is an impressive effect, just not something I'd dunk myself in to get a couple ly more range. :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Someone posted a pic of a traveler requesting to go to Sagittarius A and the payout was 25m+ and you had a week to finish it.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Those effects are really sexy.

Also the Pleiades are blue now, loving finally

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Beta 2.2 (update 1) is now up:

Brett C. posted:

Greetings Commanders,

We've released an update to 2.2 beta. Below is the change log...
  • Fixed a crash when trying to get a name from a non-existent system
  • Make sure the station generation system uses the "old" metadata when in the orphaned station section of the code - Stops server/client crashing by using updated metadata
  • Fixed crash that often occurs when self-destructing an SRV - but could conceivable occur during initialisation of any new ship
  • Fixed a crash during transition states is a valid ship isn’t available
  • Fixed crash exiting CQC
  • Fixed a crash trying to create an NPC pilot in an invalid vehicle
  • Prevent an invalid update query on updating time spent in ships when we don't know the commander's current ship type
  • Fixed livery errors with Taipan fighter
  • Added fighter bays to Jameson Memorial and Dalton Gateway
  • Reduced FSD boost from jet cones to 25% (This will be subject to further balancing!)
  • Capacity for Passenger Cabin Size 5 Class 4 has changed from 6 to 8
  • Jet cone visual bug when viewed through buggy turret fixed
  • Fixed broken shadow on SRV
  • Prevent module storage until it’s working
  • Fixed spurious warning when fitting a fighter hangar
  • Only show VR tutorial in challenges list if VR is supported on this platform

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Someone posted a pic of a traveler requesting to go to Sagittarius A and the payout was 25m+ and you had a week to finish it.

So if you arrive 1 jump away after 1 week + 1 minute you would fail the mission and the dude would just escape-pod its way back to the bubble?

Or can you still do that last jump and just throw the loving prick into the big gaping void for wasting 1 week + 1 minute of your time?

Also, ship transfer as is implemented currently is useful for exactly 3 cases:
1) you want to relocate all your ships to wherever you want to set up shop; I did this twice in my 2 years with the game, it was a pain, but if ship transfer was actually a little more flexible you wouldn't even NEED to set up shop... (of course if you wanted to for whatever reason, it'd still be possible, while the opposite isn't true :v: )
2) you want to bring all your ships to a single engineer and upgrade them all; this is VERY useful and the one true reason I'd use it in its current state - you can even use the delay to actually collect some needed materials!
3) you want to participate in a CG but are too lazy to taxi your way to other ships; debatable but situationally useful, having to slowboat a FdL or Vulture to a combat CG sucks while exploration/trade CGs are usually done in ships with medium-to-high range anyways.

can anyone see other actual, honest-to-God cases where it'd be useful with the current 30 min / 100k delay/cost (for an Asp 167ly away)?

I'm just bitter I can't have any ship (that I bought by expending time and space money) I want whenever I feel like in this videogame that I play to have good times :mad:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 20, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Wait, is this a bug? Or is this what neutron stars actually do?? Either way I'm all for it. More weirdness everywhere is good

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

Wait, is this a bug? Or is this what neutron stars actually do?? Either way I'm all for it. More weirdness everywhere is good

It's what they do these days soon.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

the brown sea posted:

I know you like that theory that ED is arcade pew pew. It is not.

gently caress I've been playing this game wrong all this time (except when I renounced sanity and murdered my soul to grind for enough ImpRank to buy a Clipper. That is Well and Good and Makes 84ers Proud)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Tippis posted:

It's what they do these days soon.

I should clarify that I meant in real life!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

In reality, most neutron stars have streams of superheated gas at their poles, due to no positive to negative movement of the high energy plasma. So it ejects into space. When the star rotates, this is what is called a pulsar, as the massive amounts of radiation can be detected on planets with an ozone layer thousands of light years away.

Another fun fact, the cores of neutron stars are very close to what the beginning of the universe looked like, with the quark-gluon plasma and temperarures reaching 10^22 -10^23 degrees Kelvin.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

I should clarify that I meant in real life!

What berenzen said: yes, kind of. It's probably not quite as pretty, and chances are that if it were and you were there to see it, you'd just insta-die. But the basis for the effect is entirely real.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

*get halfway to Sagittarius A*

NEW MESSAGE

"Hey, you're doing great and all, but if you could make it there in 2 minutes, there's an extra 60k in it for you"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Just read a bit about pulsars and it's pretty drat interesting!

It's hard to gauge the realism of star effects and stuff in E:D because of how they dim the starlight—in real life, looking at a neutron at this distance would probably explode your retinas and set your brain on fire.

It would make the game unplayable, but I always thought it would be neat if you could flip a switch in your cockpit and turn off whatever sci-fi light filtering your windshield must be doing, so that as you approached stars they became realistically, overwhelmingly bright. If you've seen the movie SUNSHINE, like, that kind of intensity.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

MisterZimbu posted:

*get halfway to Sagittarius A*

NEW MESSAGE

"Hey, you're doing great and all, but if you could make it there in 2 minutes, there's an extra 60k in it for you"

More like:
*1 jump away from Sag A*

"Just kidding I want to go to the station you picked me up from :downs:"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

It's hard to gauge the realism of star effects and stuff in E:D because of how they dim the starlight—in real life, looking at a neutron at this distance would probably explode your retinas and set your brain on fire.

It would make the game unplayable, but I always thought it would be neat if you could flip a switch in your cockpit and turn off whatever sci-fi light filtering your windshield must be doing, so that as you approached stars they became realistically, overwhelmingly bright. If you've seen the movie SUNSHINE, like, that kind of intensity.

Canopy breach near a star should certainly do that…

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Elite Dangerous - Even the Stars are on the Spectrum

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oh Taipan is a type of snake. :downs:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

So someone on the Facebook elite dad's group posted a lovely jpg of the cost to move an FAS to jaques... 61 hours and 4.5 billion credits. Just take a moment to appreciate those numbers.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

So someone on the Facebook elite dad's group posted a lovely jpg of the cost to move an FAS to jaques... 61 hours and 4.5 billion credits. Just take a moment to appreciate those numbers.

:laffo:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Wolfechu posted:

IMMERSION

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Polo-Rican posted:

Staring at bright stars up close in VR hurts my eyes :getin:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Omg, don't the betas have massively reduced costs too?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Libluini posted:

Tough luck, the brown sea is about 75% in favor of 25% boost. Because more will damage the sense of scale or whatever, I'm not even trying to understand anymore what nonsense those people come up with, I think I'll just mock them from now on.
It shifted to 57% in favour of keeping it at 300% and 27% voting that it should boost the jump range even further.
Granted, less than 300 people voted. :shobon:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

source ur quotes

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

source ur quotes

it was you dumbass

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

frank.club posted:

Omg, don't the betas have massively reduced costs too?

Only for ship purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Been thinking about upgrading my vulture into either an FDL or FAS. The FAS has higher dps and jumprange; the FDL has more shields.

https://coriolis.io/comparison/N4Ig...ORHN1kEQoOJakA=

https://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/0pftfFalidpsif37o2727272700000303040kB2326m01C5.Iw18aQ==.MwBhCZwkEYzSwnBqEwg=?bn=generic
https://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/0pktkFflndpsff47l7l272700000304B2386m0224C5.Iw18cQ==.CwBhGYCYWsEY6SZOxTHEA===?bn=fas1

Both have an agility rating of "6" but which is more boosty?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 21, 2016

• Locked thread