Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

Reinanigans posted:

:yeah: what she said.

Also, I think it's "Nugget Bridge" like the location in Kanto.

I'm still salty I couldn't join Team Rocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

sharrrk posted:

why don't the genies learn wish

Because they are free genies and don't have to grant silly wants and needs.

Funky Valentine posted:

lol at the people who didn't put over a hundred hours in both Colosseum and XD and therefore have a deep understanding and respect for Double Battling.

Bring back double battle campaigns

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

maybe looker should "look" into that instead of trying to win the earthbadge or whatever

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

are they even officially called genies anywhere

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I just thought of something for Instruct: since it doubles the use of the last move, wouldn't it let a pokemon that uses a buff move to double buff itself? Sword Dance all of a sudden becomes +4, Dragon Dance +2 attack and speed, etc. It's super gimmicky, but if you pull it off it could mean sweeping the poo poo out of your opponent. It's like Simple Beam without the downsides of losing your ability (unless you had a lovely ability anyways).

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

They are called the Forces of Nature officially

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Poison Z move: Degenerate Demise

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jarogue posted:

They are called the Forces of Nature officially

AND THEY RUN WHEN THE SUN COMES UP
WITH THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
The zmove dances are ridiculous, and the more I watch them the more I love it.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The z-moves are somebody at GF watching the music videos with XY/ORAS models and deciding that they wanted to play too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Funky Valentine posted:

lol at the people who didn't put over a hundred hours in both Colosseum and XD and therefore have a deep understanding and respect for Double Battling.

Coliseum kept my love of pocket monsters alive while I didn't have a GBA

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Funky Valentine posted:

the only important thing from XD was the move tutor that taught mewtwo self-destruct.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Can you Instruct a Z-move?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

AND THEY RUN WHEN THE SUN COMES UP
WITH THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE

um...i think you misheard the song title a bit haha, i do that all the time too

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Guys I'm playing Blue on the Virtual Console and I can't decide whether I want Electrode or Raichu to be my Electric type. I mean I guess Gen I's wonky mechanics let me go crit fishing with Electrode, but using Raichu just seems like the Gen I thing to do, plus I can teach it Submission for some reason.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Guys I'm playing Blue on the Virtual Console and I can't decide whether I want Electrode or Raichu to be my Electric type. I mean I guess Gen I's wonky mechanics let me go crit fishing with Electrode, but using Raichu just seems like the Gen I thing to do, plus I can teach it Submission for some reason.

you'll get an excuse to use raichu in sunmoon

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Ruggington posted:

neither of those pokemon are existent in the meta

I think you're missing my overall point that "Eevee isn't about to get banned"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

StandardVC10 posted:

Electrode because SunMoon's got sweet new Raichu to use so why use old busted Raichu.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

StandardVC10 posted:

I liked Raichu's sprite in gen 1 so go with that.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

old raichu is better than new raichu

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

they're both good though

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Raichu

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

oddium posted:

are they even officially called genies anywhere

Aren't they more like Onis or something?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
they need to nerf protect, thanks.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

sharrrk posted:

old raichu is better than new raichu

I mean, objectively you're wrong.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The genies are Raijin, Fuujin, and some land spirit related to those two who doesn't come up as much. They're kami.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

mandatory lesbian posted:

um...i think you misheard the song title a bit haha, i do that all the time too

That's what we in the business call, to use some insider lingo, a joke.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
What's the point of shell-smashing Gorebyss if I can't baton pass it to luvdisc or surskit. Thanks a lot smogon.
Coil sucks.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Blackheart posted:

Aren't they more like Onis or something?

They're Kami. Based on Fujin, Raijin, and Inari.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

i think you might wanna find a new business friend, try doing something you're good at

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls7J-xL5oOQ

btw it's called Rules of Nature you loving dork

edit:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

They're Kami. Based on Fujin, Raijin, and Inari.

Ah. I always thought these guys were Oni.

I guess these megaman dudes are based on the same thing then?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Blackheart posted:

Ah. I always thought these guys were Oni.

I guess these megaman dudes are based on the same thing then?

I always thought the first one was an octopus head, saw its nose as the... funnel?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

It's me, I'm the guy that likes double battles more than singles and wish they happened more in the main game.

I like my pokemon being friends and working together.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Trick Question posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that likes double battles more than singles and wish they happened more in the main game.

I like my pokemon being friends and working together.

Me too. Also it makes protect not a pointless frustrating waste of a turn.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Miror B. has one Ludicolo use Rain Dance. His other Ludicolo then outspeeds Espeon and puts it in the red with a Waterfall.

*colors become black in white, slow zoom on my Serious Eyes*
Me: Hm! He had one Pokemon act as a setup for his other, thereby saving a turn and giving the Swift Swim Ludicolo a chance to use it's ability! Finally, a worthy opponent!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

OneDeadman posted:

Instead of BST someone should clearly just come up with straight up tabletop wargame point allocation rules for teams. Like a magikarp would be a single point, while a good legendary would be something like 15 or so. Add in modifiers for certain moves/ movesets.

But obviously coming up with a good set of point totals for 700+ pokemon and moves is way more work than just using what currently exists and mostly fine.

Wasn't there a simulator site that tried to use a metagame adjusted points system? What was it called?

cancerianmoth posted:

I know baton pass isn't used in doubles often if ever, but couldn't it work with eevee? Have the other pokemon use follow me. If the pokemon survives bring in a boosted rugby lemur, steal the ability, bring in the last partner and sweep? I don't get to play doubles so I don't know.

I'm pretty set on moon? I like rugby lemur but I can always trade for it. I usually don't end up using version exclusives anyway, so I just like moon stuff. It would also make sense to have version exclusive final evolutions. I mean, GF should do it to just change it up. Next gen they'll do stone evos for the final forms. haha

Or you could just use Psych Up with Eevee's partner. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Psych_Up_(move)

Funky Valentine posted:

Miror B. has one Ludicolo use Rain Dance. His other Ludicolo then outspeeds Espeon and puts it in the red with a Waterfall.

*colors become black in white, slow zoom on my Serious Eyes*
Me: Hm! He had one Pokemon act as a setup for his other, thereby saving a turn and giving the Swift Swim Ludicolo a chance to use it's ability! Finally, a worthy opponent!

The Swift Swim boost doesn't activate until the turn after Rain Dance is used, since the move order is already determined. Maybe it was different back then, but it doesn't work that way now unless you opened with a Drizzle pokemon.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

not to mention that in that scenario the first ludicolo is already outspeeding espeon anyway

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
put me in for all double battles, all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Singles is best for in-game imo. Doubles is best for competitive battling.